The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

My last post had to be re-done as it disappeared. Now it has turned up on the editor (the original post). Its now been deleted. The foxes have returned to my garden but at the bottom beyond the pee-line. The forecast is for dry weather for the next few days so I'll renew it tomorrow.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Ton of logs have arrived and are being chucked.

I have also realised that I am seriously out of condition. Comes of sitting writing for so long

I clicked agree as I can feel muscles in my sholders and back after throwi g large and small logs arou d this morning.  I empathise.

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

At least all the foxes around here means we don't have a rat problem.

Dr. SWMBO is fond of popcorn.  But not quite fond enough to consume the entire bag she "popped" yesterday before it turned soft and nastier.  I'm not a fan at all unless it says "Sugar Puffs" on the box ;)  

So we suggested placing the excess on the bird feeder which the squiggles have annexed as their dining table.  

I'll report back on any explosions we become aware of later .... eating popcorn is apparently not a good idea if you are a squiggle :no2:

• Like 14

21 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I got interested in family trees when my sister and I had a long chat one day with a great aunt.

12 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Of course the thing with names is that they can so easily be changed, particularly in times past or where record keeping isn't at its best. That's why the DNA check can be so revealing and contraversal.

I remember my mum saying that there was someone on my fathers side taking a letter out of the name which I thought was a bit on the 'why the hell' but he must have had a good reason at the time.

11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There is evidence in my family tree that a name was changed completely. ... The religious/political upheavals of the time, or the Civil War could be the reason for the name change. 

I can well imagine people changing their names with the multiple 'regime' changes and resulting reprisals through the 17th century.

There is a genealogy television show on Public Broadcasting usually featuring well known people - television people, actors, sporting figures etc. It is hosted by a Harvard Professor with a personal interest in African American history.

Names of European immigrants were frequently changed (and not just Anglicized) on entering the US and then often subsequently changed again. It is of course very difficult to trace African American people beyond 1865. They frequently assumed the last names of their former owners, and often their DNA as well. (On average, African Americans have about 25% European DNA.) Antebellum slaves were usually not recorded by name, but slave schedules had ages and genders listed in decennial censes and sometimes intelligent guesses can be made.

As the DNA genealogical database grows, much is technically possible in genealogy that was unknowable even a few years ago. Recently the television show has relied increasingly on DNA for identification (not just historical, regional admixtures).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 11