The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Ah! Oop North!

As an outsider, I have noticed that the English South of Watford Gap have only three views about “The North”.  Roman, Medieval and Industrial Revolution…

• Roman: The North is filled with woad-bedaubed savages.
  • Medieval: all maps of The North show it filled with “here be dragons” and similar warnings
  • Industrial Revolution: nothing to see - just Dark Satanic Mills and slag heaps

I think that much of Britain remains, deep down at heart, tiny little Saxon kingdoms fiercely proud and proudly independent minded.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 2

9 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I think that much of Britain remains, deep down at heart, tiny little Saxon kingdoms fiercely proud and proudly independent minded.

Large parts of Britain never were Saxon kingdoms.

• Agree 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

35 minutes ago, pH said:

Large parts of Britain never were Saxon kingdoms.

I stand corrected!

However, my premise of lots of  small kingdoms fiercely proud and proudly independent minded I think it’s still valid

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Morning All.

Saxons here in the Deep South (Sarff) were clobbered by Normans (Vikings) in 1066. The jumping off point is about 20 miles away from here. Loads of Norman Viking DNA got….er….introduced in this district. 

The breakfast bells aclanging so have a good one all.

ATB Grizz

Edited by Grizz
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Yesterday I saw an interview with a woman at the border in tears over abandoning her home, cats and dogs while escaping to the west.

That's one decision that at least one Bear couldn't make (and I have no Pets).  Faced with the choice then this Bear would stay put - a Bear's Home is his Castle n' all that.

8 hours ago, NGT6 1315 said:

IMG_3826.jpeg.3bfcc8d2bcb287eeb16c6e757777bfc8.jpeg

Jeez - a brand new Loco and the Graffiti Gang have hit it already....

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

And spiders dont like getting their 8 tiny feet wet either. From last years floods.

Eeek  :scared::scared:

Floods (and Spiders n' Snakes) - or the Russian Army?  Would you like Tea or Coffee Mr. Poo Tin, Sir....

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

War what is it good for? Absolutely nothing 

unless you are a shareholder of an Australian energy exporter. (from Sydney Morning Herald)

Making obscene profits on the back of other people misery doesn't sit well with this Bear.  Existing customer orders should be honoured (at their current levels) and if production can be cranked up then take on new orders at current prices - and not get into a bidding war.

6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Meanwhile the news is reporting weapons being directed at a south eastern Ukrainian nuclear power plant (Zaporizhzhia and reportedly one of the largest in Europe), which is on fire amid urgent calls for a local ceasefire to permit firefighters to extinguish the fire.

The fire is reported to be out now, with no radiation leaks.  Shelling a Nuke Power Station seems like a pretty dumb thing to do in this Bear's book.

The station is now reported to be in Russian hands.  Don't worry, I'm sure Private Igor of the Russian Artillery knows how to run a Reactor....

In other news:

The Co-op have pulled Russian Vodka off it's shelves; don't worry - supplies of LDC and Dr. Oetker's Pizza are safe  (apparently the Co-op M.D. is reported to have said that "If we pulled those we'd be in deep sh1t and no-where would be safe to hide".  You're right there, matey....)

Airbus and Boeing have pulled all their support in Russia - so no new plugs, points or filters to be supplied, along with all other support.

Rumours that Action Man are in talks with Volodymyr Zelenskyy (the Ukraine President) about releasing a new Soldier in his image are as yet unconfirmed;  Barbie are to follow suit with one based on Poo Tin, apparently....:laugh:  (now that would be a good wheeze - profits to Ukraine etc.)

More seriously, this report REALLY, REALLY p1sses this Bear off....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-60596789

I do hope so....

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/former-cia-chief-says-russia-s-economy-could-collapse-and-moscow-scared-of-even-opening-stock-exchange/ar-AAUzgVH?ocid=msedgntp

A short clip worth watching - from 3m 30s:

And finally - a happy ending that I'm sure all ER'ers (and several in particular) will be very happy with:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-60532632

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

House prices rocketed with 2nd homers. Many from Manchester who followed a certain Russell Harty who came to the village to teach. This meant that most of my friends from primary school couldn't afford houses.  I believe that the situation has got worse since.

Wales has a fix.  Seems very sensible to this Bear:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-60575264

21 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

There are also several empty properties. Anyone want an ivy covered house complete with ivy covered citroen  for €10,000

Jamie

HOW MUCH??

Is it falling down or summat?

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Morning all

I did my underground surveying part of my Degree in an old copper mine in the Manifold valley in the Staffordshire peak district. It wasn't like potholing thank God you could walk upright most of the time but by heck was it damp. The eyepiece on the theodolites and levels kept misting up. Climbing ladders encrusted with mineral deposits was also very interesting shall we say. The satisfaction of producing 4 A0 sheets of drawings of underground and overground surveys that actually joined up was amazing especially when I have the drawing ability of a dead fly.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A quick look in before I head off to the surgery for my blood tests. The rain has stopped so hopefully I won’t get wet walking there. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 8

40 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Which is very definitely not a new thing.

If you look back to Victorian times, posh Londoners were building small mansions in multiple parts of ES, commuting to town on a weekly basis, and they were followed by only slightly less prosperous folks who commuted on a daily basis …….. it’s all the fault of the railways!

Snip……Even now Wealden has I think the second oldest population of any district in England, after North Norfolk.

Ah that’s a shame, surely nothing can be the fault of railways….totally agree though. But it is still horrible to hear that about something I love some much. 

The cuts to our railway network across the county, especially the East to West links resulted in the underdevelopment of the E.S small market towns of Uckfield and Heathfield, right up to the 1980s before really cheap motoring came about. It was very noticeable growing up in a village near Uckfield, with its dead end railway. Especially when compared with small towns like Hassocks and Burgess Hill on the Brighton main line in West Sussex. Heathfield is still probably one of the most underdeveloped but being so close to the edge of the main part of the High Weald it might be argued that being less developed was likely to a degree anyway. 

Yep full of old gits here! And I’m proud to say that I’m well on my way to being a fully fledged member…at least according to Mrs Grizz anyway.

I guess my point was the recent influx (tidal wave) of DFLs has been Covid driven so probably isn’t truly reflective of normal patterns. Yes that has raised house prices here, but that is all relative if you already live here and only want to move locally. It is the shear column of change that comes with this type of mass influx, especially the financial might that interferes with the general balance. Suddenly you find that the nice DFLs have become a ruthless dominant force in local housing rental. It seems to be the total disproportionate amount of money, power and influence that this group of folks seem to want to inflict, with little if any regard, on the place they first supposedly fell in love with and which is what brought them here in the first place. Sad. I am not anti change despite that.

In the 1970s we were so backward in our village, we even had our own dairy, with its own milk bottles and single milk float….and cow! No only kidding about the cow. But I do remember wandering down with my mum to pay the milk bill in cash. Several families didn’t have any motor vehicles and one house had no electricity, although they were very elderly and quite eccentric. Most houses in our village still had outside loos, although I think nearly all had inside ones as well. Obviously this was a legacy of the estates and estate management prior to rental or private ownership. Open sewers ran across the fields at the back of our houses. It was piped up to the end of the gardens at least. 

Just leave BFN alone…..oh and the Brewery, yes definitely leave the brewery alone. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1