The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

29 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Worked out that I've had about 620mm over the last few week

Here in Portland, our "rain year" begins on October 1. Since then (five full months now) we've had 646mm of rain (which is 45mm above 'normal') for this time of year.

We're actually below 'normal' for the calendar year-to-date. The 'rain year' construct is because our rainy season is Autumn-Spring. We've had rain this week, but should be drying out by the weekend.

• Informative/Useful 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Morning All,

Firstly, Happy Birthday to Tiger and Ian. You may be feeling old and creaky, but it’s much, much better than the alternative! :D

@BSW01 I looked into getting the mini saw from eBay.CH and decided against it – for the simple reason that the cheapest available one of that type was about £45 not including postage. Ironically, one example on sale was made in China but would’ve been shipped from the UK! I think I’ll save up my pennies for a Proxxon (or similar).

@polybear seems to be loosing his touch: yesterday I referred to him casually as “domesticated” and there was nary a peep out of the Ursine. I’m not sure if I should be impressed (by his self-discipline) or worried (has he lost it?).

I’m sorry to hear that @Natalie thinks there is too much “politics” on the thread. Certainly, defining “politics” is difficult, there are those who claim that every decision we take is political - even at the level of choosing between a ham or a cheese sandwich!  I think only the most self-absorbed would be oblivious to what’s going on in the Ukraine.

The situation in the Ukraine is both horrific and tragic and one of the tragedies is that the Russians - who sacrificed and suffered so much to defeat one of the most evil regimes mankind has ever known (and are rarely properly recognised for that) have now been led by Putin into resembling the very thing they fought against: an unprovoked aggressor.

On cheerier matters: there is LDC to dish out for z’nuni and although I won’t be partaking, I did try a piece yesterday and I agree with Mrs iD’s suggestion on uprating the CCGR score.

Time for a shower, then off to the doctor to sort out a dodgy hip. A prothesis may be in my future, alas.

Stay well, stay sane.

iD

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

I’m sorry to hear that @Natalie thinks there is too much “politics” on the thread. Certainly, defining “politics” is difficult, there are those who claim that every decision we take is political - even at the level of choosing between a ham or a cheese sandwich!  I think only the most self-absorbed would be oblivious to what’s going on in the Ukraine.

I took Natalies post to mean she was arcing up over the way that there have been posts on here that seem to   lump all Russians together as at fault when in fact  they cant help being run by an election rigging authoritarian dictator who clamps down medievally on any dissent, rather than posts taking some particular  political stand.

Certainly I've had this sense occasionally, there has been a triumphal kind of tone  when various bans on ordinary Russians have been announced.  Banning Russians from the European Song Contest, accessing their savings  and competing in various sporting events does send a powerful message but to what practical end, and what about the hardships caused? Those actually banned or who are facing crippling levels of financial hardship have little ability to influence Russian foreign policy under Vladimir Putin and are basically collateral damage who are being made to suffer in their own ways through no fault of their own other than where they happen to have been born, yet many cheer these hardships in a kind of "That'll show 'em!" kind of way.

Dunno,  maybe I'm wrong but there is an Australian truism of giving everyone a fair go which seems to be not something that is an international trait.

I dont class many of the oligarchs among the innocent sufferers by the way. I've never met an oligarch but I dont think I'd want to have a beer with one  if I did.

Hey, the sun just came out!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry start with some blue sky and pink tinged clouds.  Cloud forecast to increase throughout the day and there may be the odd spot of rain.  Currently 6°C.

Thursday morning's order of service (ish)

Due anytime from now: One Bin lorry

8.00-9.00 AM Sainsbury's delivery which (we are informed) will have everything we ordered.

9.00 AM Breakfast.

11.00 AM Dentist for (another) smallish repair.

Depending on the latter a decision will then be made about lunch, after that who knows?

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Latest news...

It seems that Russian and Belarus Athletes have now been banned from the Paralympics Winter Games entirely; apparently many other athletes were threatening to refuse to compete against them, thus bringing the games into disrepute.

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Looks like my view right now but without the rising  floody waters.

P1220447.JPG.4dbff201396b6a39af7b861df48c82ed.JPG

Dude not good. It looks like the house in the photo sits up a bit higher than the flood plain? The tide is coming in on those cows by the looks of it.

Hope you are all safe and well down there. :good:

• Like 5
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Dude not good. It looks like the house in the photo sits up a bit higher than the flood plain? The tide is coming in on those cows by the looks of it.

Hope you are all safe and well down there. :good:

I'm a heap luckier than many people, apart from having to work from home due to one route blocked by floods and the other route unusable due to diverted  traffic,  plus  the expected  couple of mm across the floor in the 3D print room downstairs I'm unscathed.

The paddocks in the picture are just super saturated so rainfall has overflowed the farm dam there and is just puddling on top of it, it'll need a lot more rainfall for the puddles to raise to the level of the house in the pic, let alone mine. They'll  drain pretty  much overnight when the rain gives them a chance.  The cows have an escape route to higher ground to the right of the picture but they seem to like squelching around in the mud. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16