The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I understand that former British SAS men and Paras are already in Poland being kitted out or indeed are in the Ukraine already. They are employed by security companies which makes them mercenaries. 

• Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Later a CNN reporter found a scorched teddy bear in the detritus of a destroyed Russian vehicle on a highway near Kyiv. 

:cry::cry::cry:

9 hours ago, Barry O said:

Having seen pictures of the iraqi convoy caught on the Basra Road by the UK and American tanks itwas not nice..indeed my colleague who took them post the war had nightmares about them. Who trained the Iraqis? Why the Soviets...

Baz

From the MSN website:

A Russian armoured column an estimated 40 miles (64km) long is about 17 miles from Kyiv, satellite pictures show, but US officials say it appears to have stalled due to fierce resistance and logistical and other problems.

Also:

Ukraine’s general staff claimed Russian losses since the attack included 5,710 personnel, 29 destroyed and damaged aircraft and 198 tanks.

If that's true then they're certainly putting up a pretty good fight :clapping:

8 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

One for @polybear

image.png.ada235c049515a59bfde7b7e8c6ddf7e.png

Tomorrow is Wednesday at Bear Towers.....and that means.....

PizzDay!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear has come to the conclusion that Grizz's musical "taste" (huh?) does make our resident Punk Rocker's taste somewhat, well, Petula Clark.....

:laugh:

In other news....

The t0ssers running the FIA have said that Russian drivers can compete in F1, so long as it's not under the Russian flag.  Spineless.

Bear the fact that you troubled to checked out Bolt Thrower warms my heart mate…..and if you decided that it is not for you….well that’s what we on ER are all about…right there! The right to be different if we bloody well want to. 
And I do appreciate Buddy Rich’s amazing skills. I was introduced to his talent when listening to the Muppets as a kid believe it or not. I can still remember it watching it, I was at a mate’s house and I didn’t know who he was…my mate was a drummer (we were 8, and his dad was also a jazz drummer) explained. He had some records with Buddy Rich on. 

FIA Corrupt from the Top apparently? ….it is where the dough goes…..boycot, switch off, don’t watch, halt it. It can be done. It is possible with enough willing…….or millions of handfuls of marbles on the track?
As you say Spinless….I’d add that ‘Some’ in there are Politically Corrupt, Morally Bankrupt, Corporate Filth…the world at this sort of level appears not to be short of them. Sorry in advance if my view offends anyone regarding this specific deficient species within FIA. Perhaps some names and faces should be put to these decisions and then made global? Then see what happens.
 I don’t follow F1 but I can totally see why people do and I don’t think it deserves this, at best, Failure of Leadership. Hopefully it was a miscommunication and the real message is still yet to find a voice. Sad when so many others are literally giving everything ….more than enough on that from me I think. 

How’s the work going Bear? Have you had your final meeting with the Paintbrush?
Mrs Grizz and I lived in Grizz Castle whilst we did it up, and it took nearly 10 years  overall, as it was nearly derelict when we got it. It had chickens living in the cellar before we bought it and all that comes with that!

“Ah I love the smell of Jeyes Fluid in the morning….”

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I see that the Felicity Ace (with all those new Porsches, Audis and Volkswagens) developed a 45° list (while under tow) and capsized then sank in heavy seas off the Azores where the Atlantic is 3km deep. The episode reminds me of another Mitsui O.S.K. Lines RO-RO vessel MV Cougar Ace which, full of Mazdas, lost stability in the North Pacific in 2006. The cars were subsequently ground up in a big blue metal muncher here in Portland. Cougar Ace was cut up in India in 2020.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 16

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Grizz said:

FIA Corrupt from the Top apparently?

The father of one of the drivers concerned is a major sponsor of the Hass team. He is also a big mate of Putin.

Finance may prove a little difficult if he gets caught up in any sanctions and where the money he uses to sustain them is currently located.

• Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I see that the Felicity Ace (with all those new Porches, Audis and Volkswagens) developed a 45° list (while under tow) and capsized then sank in heavy seas off the Azores where the Atlantic is 3km deep. The episode reminds me of another Mitsui O.S.K. Lines RO-RO vessel MV Cougar Ace which, full of Mazdas, lost stability in the North Pacific in 2006. The cars were subsequently ground up in a big blue metal muncher here in Portland. Cougar Ace was cut up in India in 2020.

I suppose that means the fire (not caused by, but fuelled by the lithium batteries) is probably out. But iff they recover it (3km - seems unlikely) I don't see the leccy cars being ground up unless they can remove the dead batteries.

• Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

17 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

I suppose that means the fire (not caused by, but fuelled by the lithium batteries) is probably out.

The fire has been out for maybe a week. A salvage team from SMIT Salvage boarded her and secured a towline. The Wikipedia page links to a German website (with a paywall) with more specifics. (I didn't look it up further.)

Online photographs show the vessel heavily damaged by the fire.

• Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Grizz said:

At around the same early ish time (still in school) I also discovered alcohol….and, more precisely, in the form of the Weapons Grade  version of …Snake Bite and Black….1/2 Diamond White Cider or Ks Cider…1/2 Carlsberg Special Brew …shot of Black Current….sometimes with shots…….

Meek and mild stuff. At 17 I was on the scrumpy and black at the Greyhound pub in Holloway Head in Birmingham. They brewed their own in those days. The smooth was strong and relatively clear, the rough was like a fog and had lumps floating in it, reputedly bits of apple.  It cost 10d old money per pint (= 4.17p decimal) which allowing for inflation would be about 75p now. You could get unconscious for half a crown on that stuff but the local winos would happily drink it all night.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 3

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Ukraine’s general staff claimed Russian losses since the attack included 5,710 personnel, 29 destroyed and damaged aircraft and 198 tanks.

If that's true then they're certainly putting up a pretty good fight :clapping:

Think of all those Red Square military parades where Russia shows off its military mightiness. Being shown up by the Ukrainians on the battlefield would make Putins head explode, he will not stand up for the perceived loss of face.  He  will pulverise Ukraine with all that stuff he has that he hasnt brought out yet  until there is nothing left of the place,  rather than look like  a loser. 

• Agree 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The episode reminds me of another Mitsui O.S.K. Lines RO-RO vessel MV Cougar Ace which, full of Mazdas, lost stability in the North Pacific in 2006. The cars were subsequently ground up in a big blue metal muncher here in Portland. 

Here’s another car carrier that sank off Vancouver Island:

https://www.portalbernimaritimeheritage.ca/post/2017/08/23/the-vanlene-bamfield-s-vehicular-grave

• Informative/Useful 12

25 minutes ago, pH said:

Here’s another car carrier that sank off Vancouver Island:

That's a classic story of a sequence of errors.

MV Cougar Ace didn't sink. It lay on it's side for about a week in the open ocean* before the salvage crew arrived. Righting it was difficult and the initial salvage boarding led to a horrific fatality in the salvage crew.

* Which is why the cargo of cars could not be sold - based on fluids draining where they shouldn't be through several weeks of listing, though Mazda claimed there was minimal damage. They didn't want the cars 'chop shopped' like those '72 Mitsubishi/Dodge Colts apparently were.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 11