The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear just typed "What" in the Google search box; it immediately came up with:

"....an Oligarch"

"......a molotov cocktail"

"....is a cold war"

".....is a sanction"

I got “…behind slot on front of XBox 360”

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chrisf said:

I tend to agree.  However, as a gay man I am apparently supposed to enjoy Eurovision.  I don't.  What can this possibly mean?

That the whole thing is a complete pile of carp anyway and that it's got nothing to do with one's orientation I should imagine!

I expect Russia will be asked to host an emergency Olympics* next "to bring the world together" to show sport can shine above politics reality.    

*Normal drugs testing will be dispensed with

Still, this is all getting terribly close to stuff we should not speak of so I'm off to investigate dovetail telescope mounts.

Alan

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chrisf said:

I tend to agree.  However, as a gay man I am apparently supposed to enjoy Eurovision.  I don't.  What can this possibly mean?

Chris

I think in many countries it is taken more seriously than in the UK. International cultural completions seem to be a “thing” elsewhere. 
Someone I know (not in the UK) has made quite a serious study of the Eurovision Song Contest and appears on broadcasts in his country to comment. He also appears on serious political election broadcasts too.

I can remember it when I was young watching it with Mum who always wanted the UK entry to do well if not win! Dad would have already gone to the  shed to make something. I didn’t see it for years but later watched it for the Wogan commentary , Aditi liked the scenic video interludes. Matthew said for his generation it had become a drinking game associated with the points allocated. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13

3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Had a call from the dentist and we're going back at midday as he wants to make sure that nothing untoward is going on.

As for Eurovision I've always thought that it has been a complete farce for many years and cannot for the life of me understand why we still enter it.

I cannot for the life of me understand why we are in  it! 

• Like 4
  • Agree 15

On the subject of reading, I have never read fiction, even as I child it bored me rigid after about 2 pages, apart from Brendon Chase by BB (DJ Watkins-Pitchford, who also wrote non fiction fishing books), I always preferred wildlife, fishing or railway books, most of which I still have. Tried classical, wind in the willows(recently) and just cannot finish them, non fiction I read over and over again.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I think in many countries it is taken more seriously than in the UK. International cultural completions seem to be a “thing” elsewhere. 
Someone I know (not in the UK) has made quite a serious study of the Eurovision Song Contest and appears on broadcasts in his country to comment. He also appears on serious political election broadcasts too.

I can remember it when I was young watching it with Mum who always wanted the UK entry to do well if not win! Dad would have already gone to the  shed to make something. I didn’t see it for years but later watched it for the Wogan commentary , Aditi liked the scenic video interludes. Matthew said for his generation it had become a drinking game associated with the points allocated. 

I suppose the fact that the UK has probably produced more good popular music, that's a very broad term, than the other Eurovision nations combinec, there is always a strong strand of jealosy.  At least half the music I hear on French radio or as background music is sung in English

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Most 3D slicer software comes in Linux versions, though your printer hardware  will often dictate which one you will be able to use, for instance the Elegoo Mars 3 has you locked into using Chitubox.  Other  popular slicers s are Cura,  Slic3r and PrusaSlicer all of which have Linux versions.  Like I said, printer type/manufacturer will dictate your options.  

CNC controller software is also often machine dependant though there are ones out there that are open source and compatible with common CNC routers. My CNC machine is one of the common Chinese ones and uses CNC USB Controller which is  open source from PlanetCNC though you require a license to use it, which usually is included in the purchase of the router. It has Linux versions.  There is also a  Linux specific controller software called LinuxCNC but depending on your Linux version (32 Bit or 64 bit) you might only be able to use it in demo mode.

If you are referring to software for producing the stl files of things that you want to print , ie the CAD style packages such as Fusion360, Blender, SketchUp et al then  you might not necessarily want to install them in a tower in your workshop unless its a supremely comfortable environment to sit and work in since CAD file production can take many many hours.

For instance the CAD for this,   - Liverpool Station in NSW   - was done with  Sketchup and took about 40 hours all up to get to the point here where it is watertight (meaning the mesh has no holes, reveres faces, hidden membranes etc that will glitch the print) 

2.jpg.b9d901a82bb93a59ec2b53773bbe7382.jpg

There is a free cersion of CD produced by the same peopke as Open Office.  I've got that now after Dassault started charging for Draftsight.

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Most 3D slicer software comes in Linux versions, though your printer hardware  will often dictate which one you will be able to use, for instance the Elegoo Mars 3 has you locked into using Chitubox.  Other  popular slicers s are Cura,  Slic3r and PrusaSlicer all of which have Linux versions.  Like I said, printer type/manufacturer will dictate your options.  

CNC controller software is also often machine dependant though there are ones out there that are open source and compatible with common CNC routers. My CNC machine is one of the common Chinese ones and uses CNC USB Controller which is  open source from PlanetCNC though you require a license to use it, which usually is included in the purchase of the router. It has Linux versions.  There is also a  Linux specific controller software called LinuxCNC but depending on your Linux version (32 Bit or 64 bit) you might only be able to use it in demo mode.

If you are referring to software for producing the stl files of things that you want to print , ie the CAD style packages such as Fusion360, Blender, SketchUp et al then  you might not necessarily want to install them in a tower in your workshop unless its a supremely comfortable environment to sit and work in since CAD file production can take many many hours.

For instance the CAD for this,   - Liverpool Station in NSW   - was done with  Sketchup and took about 40 hours all up to get to the point here where it is watertight (meaning the mesh has no holes, reveres faces, hidden membranes etc that will glitch the print) 

2.jpg.b9d901a82bb93a59ec2b53773bbe7382.jpg

Huh?

Puppers.....what does all that mean in words no longer than LDC? :help:

54 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

My answer to that is "don't be stupid and do what you're told!"

That'll be noted and you'll pay for it later, believe me.....

54 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Never mind , she is looking forward to our meal out tonight.....providing she can find something  that's easy to eat!  :rolleyes:

Is the Restaurant Menu available on the 'net by any chance?  If there's nothing suitable (Treacle Pud & Custard sounds promising - for starter, main & dessert :yahoo:) then a call to the restaurant to explain the s.p. may help smooth the way with something being prepared in advance.

21 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Football final moved to Paris, Russian Grand prix cancelled but Eurovision won't do anything.

I'd like to see countries (or singers, at least) having the b@lls to say "If they're coming, we're not!"

Full marks to some of the F1 guys (Vettel, for starters) saying they wouldn't race there; it seems that Nikita Mazepin's future in F1 is all but over (definitely no loss anyway) cos' Billionaire Daddy has close ties with Putin - and whose money basically bought Jnr. the seat in the Haas Team.

In other news....

A morning of "playing" - mainly with the College Project and sorting the toolbox used for College Evenings; cleaning down of the coving ready for painting was carried out this afternoon as intended.  Tick

Even Hermes and the Amazon Driver managed to ring the doorbell and wait until I answered the door without them scarpering.  Shocked.

• Like 17

POETS... sounds good to me.

Yesterday little to report, though I did get tickets for the Rod Stewart concert happening here July 8th. 

Anyone think if I can get word to him that I'm a fellow Railway Modeller he'll invite us back stage??? :) :)

Jemma and Brendan reporting in from London, enjoying the RAF Museum, the London Eye, afternoon tea and a couple of pubs :)

Today, Mrs off for a "mall" walk with her friend. Usually it's around one of the lakes here, but a tad too cold for that today.

Weekend a little busy - funeral for the Mrs last remaining Aunt (95) followed by a lunch with the family. Evening dinner with Trevor and Meagan.

Sunday we're hopefully relaxing most of the day, then off to a local supper club for a concert featuring some local talent, all of whom perform with our choir often.

S0dding cold getting the newspaper, -18 and very bright due to clear skies and another 2 inches of fresh snow, almost blinding out there! High of -9 expected.

Enjoy the start of the weekend.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Well the day just got worse and we got the news we've been dreading but expecting.  My mate Col died this afternoon.  We've been friends since about 1976 and done a hell of a lot together although as I said yesterday not seen much of each other lately..  He was a Black Cab driver until he had to give up his licence due to diabetes related eyesight problems and had very strong views on every subject under the sun. He was very non PC and said what he thought and regrettably didn't care if he upset someone.  On the plus side he was a generous bloke who would do anything for you and did.  He was also very knowledgeable (unsurprising given his job) and a mainstay of our successful pub quiz team a few years ago.  This is the second loss of a very close friend in three months and yes I know others have had the same or worse but this has hit me quite hard.

RIP Col I'm going to miss you,  you silly, stroppy, lovely old sod!

Very sorry to hear the news of the death of your friend. Thoughts with all involved. 

• Agree 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

...snip... Doozers are busy putting fibre optic 'cables' into the street, but to upgrade to actually use it is very expensive, double the monthly cost in fact.  They can stuff it.

If "they" operate like some of the telcos here, the copper outside plant will be removed from service and you will have little or no choice in the matter.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...snip...but with Linux installed (and Libre Office - the open source version of MS Office) it continues to work flawlessly. ...snip...

I run w8.1 right now and Apache Open Office. I tried both Open Office and Libre Office when I first found out about open source software and decided that the Apache product was just a little more user friendly for me and my work experience with MS Excel and Lotus 123. My machine was one of maybe two or three in the county's three thousand plus network with Lotus because one program that was fundamental to our farebox data collection that only outputted in Lotus format. I understand that later scheduled upgrades to the GFI Network Manager software addressed that.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

...snip... As I don't have family to be concerned with I'd stay put and hopefully take at least one of them (more would be nice...) with me.

B'STARDS.

And yes, that most definitely is a Rant.

That reminded me of something that Churchill said about the expected possible German invasion: "...at least you can take one with you ..." or words to that effect.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2