The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, PupCam said:

As if 2020 and 2021 haven't been enough of a challenge for the world ...  

Hopes for a more normal "2022" out of the window then!

Frying pans and fires come to mind

• Agree 16

4 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I would suggest that we are at the closest point to a war with Russia since the Cuban missile crisis. Has Putin taken the gamble since Biden's mishandling of the Afghan withdrawal I don't want to stray into politics really but the situation demands discussion. The fact that Mad Vlad seems to be living up to his Moniker is scary. What intervention can NATO take? Military aid in the form of armament supplies have been given will it end with boots on the ground in Ukraine I don't know.Certainly the NATO members along the eastern borders will see reinforcement. The sanctions will only hurt the normal Russian person 

I dont fancy taking the doors off and leaning them up at 30° as in Threads 

I'm afraid the sanctions have to hurt everyone in Russian and they need to know why. They need to be more than a slap on the wrists but more about collapsing the Russian economy  (which is about the size of Spain's). They'll hurt us too with increased prices etc. but we need to decide if the democracy and freedom our parents and grandparents paid so much for are worth the price- i think they are. If the Russian people can then rid themselves of Putin and his gang of Mafiosi, they'll then need all the help we can give them- what we failed to do after the collapse of the USSR.  

One thought is that its debacle in Afghanistan was a major factor in the USSR's collapse: disastrous military adventures have caused the demise of other dictators too. If this becomes messy for Russia- as well it might- then Putin may not be very secure. 

I'm now reading that in the United States, Donald Trump and Fox News are actually congratulating Putin. IF that's true it tells us all we need to know about their loyalties. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 13
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Neil said:

There were some interesting views expressed on the streets of Moscow to the BBC interviewer on the 1 o'clock news that the war was the Kremlin's war and wasn't supported by ordinary Russian citizens. How representative this is I don't know.

Apparently those expressing such views are now on their way to the Gulag....

1 minute ago, grandadbob said:

A'noon.

Some tasks domestic have been completed.  The Boss is feeling a bit better and managed a sandwich for lunch but started her mouth bleeding again for a little while.  She had to have 4 stitches and as we all know eating just on one side takes a little bit of practice.

SBT's to The Boss; LDC is nice n' soft and should earn you some Brownie Points....

1 minute ago, grandadbob said:

Whilst it was sleeting the roofer turned up to remove the cover and I could then see that he's done a good job.  Next he shifted his ladders over the road to replace some tiles for another neighbour. That's the third job he's got in this road alone and says he's run off his feet at the moment.

And his Bank Account sorry, untraceable wedge stuffed under the mattress:laugh: is rising by the second......

In other news......

VHB has finally finally finished the coving :yahoo: - in fairness there was very little to do after yesterday, which is A Good Thing as the Beary Paws are on the rough side of "tender".  I'll be brave....:cry:

Various other tasks completed, including the packing of the ebay sale (for the glorious sum of a tenner...but every little helps - and it's yet another space in the shed), ready for Hermes to collect tomorrow.

I see that BAe shares appear to have jumped somewhat.  Can't imagine why.....

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

I'm now reading that in the United States, Trump and Fox News are actually congratulating Putin. If that's true it tells us all we need to know about their loyalties. 

As is The Orange One....

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thoughts with Mrs GDB and the Nurse/Chef/Housekeeper GDB. Hopefully she'll start feeling somewhat better after another night if she can get some sleep.

BIN day... BIN and done :O

Yesterday rehearsal for Ash Wednesday was "iffy". Several members of our already small schola were unable to attend, only three tenors! We managed through, but it's to be hoped there are a few more souls at the service...

Today much of the same around here, work, the Mrs off for an afternoon get-together with friends.

-21 at BIN time, overcast and expecting another possible 2+ inches of snow today. High forecast as -10

Onward...

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Chinese planes in Taiwan airspace, seems there may be war on two fronts.

That will distract the Americans and leave the Ukraine situation up to us Europeans. If Biden was to face up to the Chinese it might do him some favours at home.

1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

I'm now reading that in the United States, Donald Trump and Fox News are actually congratulating Putin. IF that's true it tells us all we need to know about their loyalties. 

I wonder if all those rumours of Russian interference in western elections are true? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just now, PhilJ W said:

That will distract the Americans and leave the Ukraine situation up to us Europeans. If Biden was to face up to the Chinese it might do him some favours at home.

I wonder if all those rumours of Russian interference in western elections are true? 

Enough of them were true and remember that Trump positively encouraged Russia to hack the Democrat party.

• Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

12 hours ago, pH said:

It’s snowing! This is Lotusland!! …  at the end of February!!!

As forecast, your 'storm' ran out of moisture by the time it got here. (It headed south overnight.) It snowed north of the Columbia, but we have had nothing but flurries, on and off through the morning. Not enough to stick and it's climbing above freezing.

• Like 13

7 hours ago, NGT6 1315 said:

easy for outsiders to point fingers and say, "why aren't the Russian people doing anything about it?"

I reckon it'd be hard to overestimate  the courage the average Russian would need to publicly protest a government decision. Still hundreds have gathered in public places to voice their feelings despite the dangers. 

I imagine Russian people just want a quiet life like the rest of us. 

This might lighten the mood, it proves that with a flat cap, a peasant shirt and outrageous fake accent, we are all Russian people.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Chinese planes in Taiwan airspace,

Business as usual lately. There have been many incursions.

I saw a report that HMS QE's recent voyage there was trailed by PLAN submarines, presumably gathering lots of data.

5 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

... seems there may be war on two fronts.

Vlad was kind enough to acquiesce to the request to wait until after the closing ceremony of the winter games.

Taiwan and South Korea represent 70% of the global semiconductor market.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, monkeysarefun said:

I reckon it'd be hard to overestimate  the courage the average Russian would need to publicly protest a government decision. Still hundreds have gathered in public places to voice their feelings despite the dangers. 

I imagine Russian people just want a quiet life like the rest of us. 

Given that, according to recent news, Russian security agencies have banned protests against the current invasion and warned of severe consequences for anyone doing so anyway, I think that, too, really says all we need to know as to what to make of Putin the "saviour," as far too many (particularly in the West, unfortunately) would like him to be seen. I don't see one single reason how his regime could be seen as a role model for anyone, but… *sigh*

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

5 minutes ago, NGT6 1315 said:

Putin the "saviour,"

Remaking himself as the new Vladimir I (the Great) Prince of Novgorod, Grand Prince of Kiev, and ruler of Kievan Rus' from 980 to 1015. ... Originally a follower of Slavic paganism, Vladimir converted to Christianity in 988 and Christianized the Kievan Rus'. He is thus also known as Saint Vladimir.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, NGT6 1315 said:

I don't see one single reason how his regime could be seen as a role model for anyone, but… *sigh*

Seems to be a “how to be a dictator” role model for Belarus.

• Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 2