The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

After my last extraction the dentist drove me home. What I wish I had done was take some pain relief before the local anaesthetic wore off. I had a most uncomfortable 20 minutes waiting for the paracetamol to work.

On being sent home after an out-patient procedure, I was almost ordered to start pain relief before the local wore off. I was told it is easier to stop pain from starting than to suppress it once it has started. We made up a schedule for the next three days for taking pain relief and anti-inflammatories which were (of course) on different timings.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

After my last extraction the dentist drove me home. What I wish I had done was take some pain relief before the local anaesthetic wore off. I had a most uncomfortable 20 minutes waiting for the paracetamol to work. The dentist was very concerned about post extraction bleeding due to some medication I was taking and really wanted me to go to the hospital for the extraction but I said he was an experienced dentist, I would probably just get someone far less experienced at the hospital. 

Bear has only ever had one goober pulled (one in from the back one); the Fang Doctor said that if it hurt he's doing something wrong, so let him know.  It never did hurt (I would've returned the favour if it had :devil:) but the bit where he was kneeling on my chest was kinda concerning.  Boy, did it bleed afterwards though - I was gobbin' blood into a paper cup for hours.

When it came to having the implant I was dreading it (it's a bit like drilling a hole in a brick wall and screwing in a rawlplug, but in your jaw....) but it was a walk in the park compared to having the tooth taken out - no problem at all.  

The most painful bit was the bill.....:scared:

36 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Instead I rode the exercise bike in Colorado and Alaska :) adding another 7 miles for the week.

An intrigued Bear - does the bike have a telly screen so you can actually ride a route?

In other news....

A VHB :yahoo: Does this mean that the coving is finally finished?  Er, not exactly - but it's sooooo close (just a couple of eensy weensy titchy re-filled bits to sand) that it almost is.  So why the VHB?  Well I bunged in a cheeky offer yesterday (the start price) for a non-muddling item on the 'bay, despite the fact that it had only just been listed and had the best part of nine days to run; amazingly I got an email this morning to pay up cos' it had been accepted.  Result....:yahoo:

All I need now is for Bear's paws to stop stingin' - the sanding has taken it's toll, mainly because I'd been using the sandpaper folded over for best effect and that meant that whilst one side was sanding the coving, the other side was sanding Bear's paw tips.  However, this does now mean that being pawprinted by The Plod holds no fear for this Bear - cos' the paw  prints are long gone....

And finally....

SBT's to "Olive" - of "On The Buses" fame, who vary sadly died in a house fire yesterday :cry:

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes, and a game of bullsh1t bingo with the docs. was played - repeatedly listening to the engaged tone and having to re-dial over and over again until I got lucky :angry:  I'd much rather they had a queueing system ("you are number 57 in the queue") than playing that lark for twenty minutes.  I guess if they had then people would start b1tchin' about their fone bills.

No chat with a doc ensued, though the Checkpoint Charlene did confirm that one of the blood tests was flaky; instead I got an appointment for a doc to call me back.  In two weeks.....

Hopefully I'll still be alive by then....:laugh:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

My Mum liked her "programmes", Australian soaps and various series about poorly pets. Matthew ask her if she ever watched anything cheerful. While watching one of Australian soaps she pointed out a happy character. He said I expect them to be really ill within a week. After she went home she phoned to say Matthew was quite correct in his prediction. 

Was that Molly in A Country Practice?

The whole country fell apart when she carked it.

I didn't have a clue who she was and even I had a bit of a sook.

• Like 7
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

35 minutes ago, polybear said:

An intrigued Bear - does the bike have a telly screen so you can actually ride a route?

Yes indeed a 22" touch screen :) Check out iFit, it's a fitness program for a variety of equipment that is included/paired with the bike I have. The cycling portion is seemingly "endless" with multiple rides and levels.

My bike is a -> NordicTrack s22i and I'm working my way through the "beginner" offerings right now.

So far done a Bermuda series around the island (16+ miles), a Washington DC series around DC (22+ miles), started a Colorado ride series, so far only one 5-mile (the coach is cute but MEAN pushing you every two minutes for a one minute power ride! :O :O

Most of the rides/series are videos following a coach who both gives details/history of the area and give you performance challenges along the way. All can be turned on or off.

The bike has controls for incline/decline and resistance, they can be controlled manually AND with all the "coach driven" rides are controlled automatically by the terrain and the coach input for the workout.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 6

12 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Yes indeed a 22" touch screen :) Check out iFit, it's a fitness program for a variety of equipment that is included/paired with the bike I have. The cycling portion is seemingly "endless" with multiple rides and levels.

My bike is a -> NordicTrack s22i and I'm working my way through the "beginner" offerings right now.

So far done a Bermuda series around the island (16+ miles), a Washington DC series around DC (22+ miles), started a Colorado ride series, so far only one 5-mile (the coach is cute but MEAN pushing you every two minutes for a one minute power ride! :O :O

Most of the rides/series are videos following a coach who both gives details/history of the area and give you performance challenges along the way. All can be turned on or off.

The bike has controls for incline/decline and resistance, they can be controlled manually AND with all the "coach driven" rides are controlled automatically by the terrain and the coach input for the workout.

For true realism does it have blokes in utes  tearing past half an inch from you yelling out "Get off the road you f(**@#  d!ckhead!"?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 19

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, grandadbob said:

@Ian Abel  Think I'll pass on that bike Ian.  Nearly had a heart attack looking at the picture of the posterior of the young lady on it, let alone getting on the bloody thing myself!  :jester:

I see the UK part of the business is holding a sale, £1499 for one of the bikes. Probably cheaper than a real bike. Only thing is there's not space in my house for one. (Not strictly true, but if I set to too make the space I'd be too cream crackered to use it.)

• Like 6
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

46 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I see the UK part of the business is holding a sale, £1499 for one of the bikes. Probably cheaper than a real bike. Only thing is there's not space in my house for one. (Not strictly true, but if I set to too make the space I'd be too cream crackered to use it.)

The sale is probably a "match" for the sale(s) here.

Basically they're "selling" the pre-2021 models for $1,499, the 2021 model (the one I decided to buy) for $1,599, and the 2022 is $2,099.

the pre-2021 models are missing a few of the features I wanted, notably the motorized incline/decline, bluetooth for heart monitors/additional music and a couple of other features. The 2022 only major additions is 40watt sound both cage and clip on pedals (cage only previously) and a couple of other less important tweaks, so I figured on saving $500 was a good deal.

The advantage over here in general is houses are bigger/more space to put such stuff :)

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

It was a surgical extraction in the end and the total cost including X-rays was £234 so not quite as bad as the dentist Bear was quoting.

Was GDB thinking "I could've got a Hush Hush for that......?"

:friends:

1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

@Ian Abel  Think I'll pass on that bike Ian.  Nearly had a heart attack looking at the picture of the posterior of the young lady on it, let alone getting on the bloody thing myself!  :jester:

Bear had a heart attack looking at the price.....:scared:

• Like 9
  • Agree 6

Am looking forward to tomorrow, confident that television news puff pieces won't be featuring as many new-born babies, born at 2:22 on 2/22/22.

The "Cola wars" are back. Pepsi has put the Guinness widget in one of their cans, introducing "Nitro Pepsi". Coke meanwhile already announced their "Starlight" 'flavour'(?) which is presumably a chemical brew that tastes so indescribable they decided to brand it as 'out of this world' and "inspired by space". What does "space" taste like? One wonders.

Speaking of chemical brews that taste indescribable, Mountain Dew (known for it's extra high kick of caffeine) is offering caffeine-free, alcoholic beverages to compete with the deluge of spiked seltzers, for when the one thing you crave is fizzy booze that tastes like one imagines battery acid might taste.

Today's weather is weird. It looks absolutely stunning outside - bright sunshine and cloudless, blue skies and early afternoon temperatures still under 2°C! We likely set a low temperature record overnight. (At this time of year it is normally 10°C and raining.)

We don't do politics here so you're spared what's really on my mind. At least the plague cases continue to decrease - now well under the peaks of the delta wave and the wave of December 2021 (still higher than most days of the last two years, but the trendline remains encouraging).

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 6

26 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear had a heart attack looking at the price.....:scared:

Think that's pricey... I joined the iFit Faceache group so I could get some answer and help etc., and some of these folks have 5, 6, or 7 different types of equipment in their home gyms.

The bike (though the NEW 27inch version is $2,499) is CHEAP compared to some of the rowing machines (cheap at $1,899) ellipticals ($1,799 - $2,499) and treadmills ($2,499 or $2,999 for the new INCLINING version!) :O :O

Hate to say it but Meagan (DiL) has a bike, a treadmill AND a whole weight system - scary!!! Oh, and she GOES TO THE GYM with a PAID membership to work out first thing, using the home equipment as a "supplement" :O

I gave up asking....

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10