The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

That's OK then Tony, because I don't. There is one on Facebook because I had to join to contact someone else and haven't used it since.

Even though Katy and Matt have been together for four years, we've not met his parents before. They're both from an educational background. His mother is a headmistress and father an Ofsted inspector so I can see myself getting a detention if I don't behave myself.

It's funny how families just get thrown together...

• RMweb Gold

Tony, take a look at a Toyota Yaris. We're on our second one and they have performed faultlessly. The current one is a 1.4 Auto and runnings costs/servicing costs are minimal.

Toyota Yaris was top of my list. The new ones are available with a CVT auto transmission and if MiL bought a new one she could get what she wanted. There are a lot of 500 mile only auto ones about but they seem to have the semi auto box. A test drive is probably called for. MiL will come and stay here while we are looking at cars. First hurdle to overcome will be getting her to accept that the Volvo has very little trade in value. I think I'll visit the Toyota dealer by myself initially.

• RMweb Gold

One place I'd love to visit up that neck of the woods and haven't yet, is the Old Forge Pub at Knoydart.

Mike, park your car at Glenfinnan, train to Mallaig and boat over. Walk out.

I don't know if you backpack when you walk but you would have to take everything you need. A wonderful few days.

Got to meet the future in laws next. Just hope that goes well...

Yes but it doesn't have to, Gordon. How many times will you inter-act with them after the Wedding?

Anyway, you're an amiable guy, just relax.

What's happening in Vietnam, Tony? My brother (RIP) went there a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. I see they are hyping up the Bird-Flu thing again. I take it with a pinch of salt.

Best, Pete.

Great minds then... :)

Jackie wanted leather seats fitted and that's not an option, so the Toyota dealer arranged with a local car upholsterer to have the seats done. They did a superb job for a reasonable price. We tend to keep Jackie's car for 5/6 years and then replace it. I'm fairly certain she'll go for a third Yaris at that time.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, day of relaxation after the 84 straight hours of callout. It's funny we should be discussing profoundly dark places as I was only discussing this with an inspector at 3am yesterday morning whilst tramping miles across the Hampshire countryside looking for a burst.

There is no light pollution in the remote countryside and yes it is bloomin' dark. You also get used to all the funny noises generated in an otherwise silent place - strangely I feel far safer out in the open countryside in the dead of night (mostly we are out on our own) than I do on urban calls.

Bye the way Gordon, it's probably a good thing that the parents of the SiL are involved with ordinary schools, not driving schools.......

• RMweb Gold

It's funny how families just get thrown together...

My mother in law thought that she would gain access to lots more members of the Indian community (preferably doctors, lawyers etc) in the UK through her son and daughters marriages. Her children married the offspring of a factory worker, a taxi driver and a policeman none of whom were Indian!

• RMweb Gold

What's happening in Vietnam, Tony? My brother (RIP) went there a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. I see they are hyping up the Bird-Flu thing again. I take it with a pinch of salt.

Nothing happens in Vietnam to attract the world news media, Matthew goes and then bird flu hits the headlines! I read the article and the new strain doesn't appear to be transmitted to humans (yet?). Matthew is staying in a place called Tay Dang, to the east of Hanoi. It is a rural area that grows lots of fruit and vegetables. During the week he gets to help in an orphanage/community centre and does touristy things at the weekends. According to the info pack he received the main danger in the area he is in is cycling into a water buffalo or cow crossing the road.

Tony

I've had a Toyota Auris for a couple of weeks now, and I am very pleased with it. I have the 1.3 litre version, but with a six speed manual 'box.

The Mercedes A class is a very nice little car - my Girlfriends Mum has one, and we drove it up to Kiel a few weeks ago. It is a long time since I have been on an eight hour car journey and not felt stiff afterwards. A very comfortable car. I considered one myself, but the Mercedes dealer was so unhelpful, I came to the conclusion that he didn't actually want to sell me a car.

• RMweb Gold

The Mercedes A class is a very nice little car -

My mother in law considered one of those some years ago but thought it was too small (at that time I had suggested that a small Toyota would suit her, this was not well received). Somehow she and my (now deceased) FiL got another Volvo (one of a long line of Saab and Volvo purchases). I think she would quite like the Mercedes A but checking the dimensions it is wider than the other contenders. At the moment she is parking round the corner at Aditi's sister's house and walking the few hundred yards to her flat to avoid awkward parking in the underground car park. She isn't a bad driver but having to do quite a few repetitive manoeuvres to get her present car inserted into her parking space isn't good for her arm and shoulder, hence the criteria for shorter, narrower, automatic etc. I'm sure we will have a visit to a Mercedes dealer, hopefully they will show some interest unlike yours did! When I last looked for a car, I think all the garages were desperate for business and were all very helpful without being irritatingly pushy. My cousin's husband recently bought a Mercedes after a BMW dealer basically insulted him for asking about the price!

I haven't told my MiL yet that I always take Aditi with me when I'm buying cars (apart from the present one). I value her opinion and she is good at spotting potential problems. At the moment Aditi is busy editing her dissertation appendices and doesn't really want to be dragged round garages. Fortunately she is happy to let her family carry on with their judgement of her practical ability!

Tony

Mike, park your car at Glenfinnan, train to Mallaig and boat over. Walk out.

I don't know if you backpack when you walk but you would have to take everything you need. A wonderful few days.

I would love to do that! Maybe next year. I rather fancy staying at Knoydart House - the current owners of the Old Forge built it as a self-catering holiday property. I also see that the Old Forge itself is up for sale. If ever I win the lottery.......

I understand it's an expensive business living in Sweden.

On my one flying visit some years back, it seemed so.

It sure is! We were lucky enough to find this place back in 1995, when country living was less fashionable and more affordable.

Welcome to ERs, knobhead! The remotest places I've been to stay have been on the Isle of Rum and Strontian on the Ardnamuchan peninsular. Both pretty much pitch black at night. One place I'd love to visit up that neck of the woods and haven't yet, is the Old Forge Pub at Knoydart. Despite what Google Maps shows, it's only accessible by boat, or by an extremely long overhill walk!

Looks dry but cool outside today.

Knobhead, The most remote site I've been to was in Colombia - up in the Andes. Disconcerting because I didn't even recognize the Constellations. But then I felt just as remote in Bogota, the daily "grind" there was so different from what Europeans experience. Another place like that is Japan for the "Stranger in a Strange Land" thing.

It's all in the mind; I can live in Hampstead and be remote if I want to.

Best, Pete.

My pick for strange places must be the former Soviet Union and East Germany. I felt like a character in a John Le Carré novel

• RMweb Gold

My pick for strange places must be the former Soviet Union and East Germany. I felt like a character in a John Le Carré novel

I know it was years after re-unification but crossing into the former East Germany (Wismar, Schwerin) last year made me also think of all those old cold war novels and films! I think the wine bar/cafe we went into in Schwerin was probably the smartest one we went into last year, not in the least bit dour!

Tony

I guess it would be difficult to go to the eastern part of Germany without thinking about the cold war. I travelled by train through the GDR to Berlin in 1980 and what's stuck in my mind was the heavy presence of military and police, armed to the teeth with plenty of German Shepards. Didn't see to many smiling faces either.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

I've been a bit remiss in not posting here for a few days - though I have been following all the usual informed comment here and elsewhere. Pleased to see that Pete survived the storms relatively unscathed - I see the media are trying to hype up the next one already - DOH.

As to East Germany, I visited a number of border towns in the early 1970s when there was still some steam activity. At that time, the natives were far from friendly, and one DR driver tried to stop me taking a photo of his loco. My German was not great, but the guy I was with told me he was offering a right mouthful.

Regards to All

Stewart