The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Mick,

Let's be honest, there will probably be more people killed on the roads today than by the hurricane - then you'll still have the mess when you come back anyway.

Besides I've never been one to miss out on experience,

Best, Pete.

Let's hope so, Don. I kept my legs crossed all night (and now have other problems).

When you raise a glass today, spare a thought, OK?

In the meantime have a good day with the family.

I really wish my brother was still alive....................

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Have a great day, Don - many happy returns! :drink_mini:

Solid cloud cover in the sky and it looks like there could be more rain any minute. Temperature's just shy of 14°, too, which sure is a big change from the 35ish we had yesterday before the storm. I did sleep fairly well, though!

• RMweb Premium

Per the latest info this morning off BBC website

The National Hurricane Center has downgraded Irene from a category two to a category one hurricane but says it is still packing hurricane-force winds of 90mph (150km/h) that extend outwards some 90 miles (150km). Tropical-force winds extend as far as 290m (465km).

Not good, but not as bad as the prophets of doom in the US were saying earlier - again PETE keep your head down, and let us know how you fare.

I'm old enough to remember well the very high winds in Southern England in the UK in 1987, and whilst there was a lot of damage, there were few casualties. In this case, the USA has had a lot of warning, so hopefully has been able to mobilise the required assistance in advance, and get people to places of safety.

Many thanks, everybody.

It looks the real threat to lives and property is directly along the shores due to flooding/wind.

Will the weather be bad? Yes - we'll lose trees and power, probably, but it could have been worse. Actually I'm not superstitious (but a black cat crossed my trail) so I shouldn't say anything like that!

Stewart, I remember lying in bed that day and wondering why my mattress was going up and down (pumplike). I had the window open so looked out and two cypresses in my back yard were bent over at 90 degrees. I closed the window and went back to sleep listening to the TODAY programme, where Brian Redhead was working by candle-light. We never lost power even.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

I was in Scotland on holiday when the big winds hit the South East and decided to go home to see what the damage was - on the way South, I drove the A1, and the convoys of vans from the then regional electrical supply companies were like something out of Thunderbirds - first we passed some from the Scottish operators, then some from the North East, then Yorkshire, and also lots of phone vans - waggons with poles, pole digging machines, cable drums - you name it, we saw it - then we got into Cambridgeshire and started to see the toppled trucks, which became more numerous as we progressed - and the road conditions got worse - the M25 was not too bad, but some of the A roads were like single track roads with a path cleared through the fallen trees. Let's hope that you don't see it than bad there this time.

I don't doubt that it will all be blamed on global warming, rather than a freak of Mother Nature...

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Fine now in Edinburgh. Bet you didn't know that Mike.

Have managed to log in so happy birthday Don. Take care Pete. Enjoy your weekend Gordon. Tough luck PhilH Hi DD et al.

You're back here again? Say hello if you see me! Harburn Hobbies are doing 20% off Bachmann today if youre interested. I've been out but am in watching the F1 qualifying. Going back out later for an evening with Neil Gaiman, which I'm looking forward to.

Jeez, I must be losing it. Just backed into my son's car as he had parked in an area of the front drive that neither of us use. Knocked some paint off my car and put a dent in the door of his. My fault entirely as we were chatting and I had switched to auto pilot knowing it was safe to back up as I always do.....

Wrong... :banghead:

Since this has got on to windstorms in Britain, does anyone remember the 'Glasgow hurricane' of 1968, which killed 20 people in and around the city? I almost slept through it, but was wakened up by the bedroom curtains flapping, with the windows firmly shut. Put shoes on the bottom of the curtains, and went back to sleep!

My wife's family got a garage out of it. A neighbour had a garage, but no car. After the hurricane, he didn't even have the garage! He told my brother-in-law, then a teenager, that if he could find it, he could have it. My BiL searched up to several hundred yards away, collected most of it, and rebuilt it in their garden.

Stay safe, Pete. As I heard an American comedian say - in a hurricane, the danger is not that the wind blows, it's what the wind blows.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Cool and breezy outside, though I don't mind this at all after the big heat we've been having recently. I definitely slept much better, too.

We'll be baking an apple cake after breakfast, so that it will be ready to go along with a cuppa coffee in the afternoon.

How are things looking in the New York area, Pete? I understand Irene has touched the Eastern Seaboard by now...

Just got back from Mass. Partly cloudy outside with a lot of pale cloudy blue visable but a bitterly cold wind a-blowing..

I'm tuned into CNN on the TV following developments of Irene.

It's just about 2:00 AM in New York, so hopefully Pete is snugly asleep..

I hope he is OK and that the rest of you are going to have a happy Sunday..

Say hi whemn you are awake and active! :no:

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

We took Matthew to Heathrow yesterday and his flight is now apparently a couple of hours out of Hong Kong. We did follow it on flightstats for a while last night but tracking doesn't appear to be updated much past the Russian border.

We did notice some cancelled flights to Newark on the departure board. Our friends in Connecticut emailed that they had been preparing for power failures. Their house is right on the edge of woodland and falling trees are a major concern.

Tony

I'm awake but not very active.

The smoke/heat alarms went off five times during the night.

Malfunctioning but needing to be checked out just in case.

Normally they are just used to let me know breakfast is ready.

I'll get a Fire Officer around tomorrow - it's just this sort of inconvenience that leads to people disabling their alarms.

• RMweb Gold

Morning, fairly bright here. Not sure if I'm on my backside or my elbow at the moment, call out has not been kind. Been in bed for three hours, but now just off for another 40 mile trip up the county.

Compared to our friends in the US it's not a problem but boy, I do feel rough.

Have a good one all.

Looks like Irene has relented a little and, unless one lives in a New York basement, things are getting easier.

Ten lives lost at the latest count but that's subject to update of course.

Pete will tell us how that compares to a 'normal' day in New York.