The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Well ....

Blood = Let

Lunch = Munched

Telephone call to aluminium case repair man = Most productive and whilst not cheap, one should expect to pay for a proper job.

This is the repair he did that sparked my interest.    The Beeza's crankcases aren't  that bad, at one point I was wondering if I should have a go myself using Alutite (as I don't have Ali welding equipment or skills).

https://www.facebook.com/BadFootCustoms/posts/284372720459715

Alan

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

30 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

People seem to have morphed into something else over the last 2 years, the work dodging lazy barstewards seem to have taken over the planet, politicians at the top it would seem. Our local devolved gov't has passed a law after the Grenfell fire imposing on us certain alarms of the fire prevention type, it seems I need a heat alarm for the kitchen, a smoke alarm for the hall and a combined co and smoke alarm in the living room, must communicate with each other, can I find anyone who sells these all made by the same manufacturer to ensure they work locally.........................no. Can I order them on line, well it would appear not..............am I worried no as we have perfectly well working ones that the fire brigade told me are what I actually need.........................................(I think that might be a rant).

I have Fire Angel alarms that do that if you do need some try either CEF or YESS electrical I got mine from Toolstation.  I dont have the heat alarms as mine is a wired system that uses 3core plus earth cable the 3rd core is used for communication between units the wireless range is Fire Angel pro I believe. If you were to need them

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PupCam said:

This is the repair he did that sparked my interest.    The Beeza's crankcases aren't  that bad, at one point I was wondering if I should have a go myself using Alutite (as I don't have Ali welding equipment or skills).

https://www.facebook.com/BadFootCustoms/posts/284372720459715

Alan

Very clever...I wonder what the bill was?  Big, very big or obscenely big.....

45 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Our local devolved gov't has passed a law after the Grenfell fire imposing on us certain alarms of the fire prevention type, it seems I need a heat alarm for the kitchen, a smoke alarm for the hall and a combined co and smoke alarm in the living room,.....

Bear has 9 smoke alarms; this includes one in the airing cupboard (a pump and leccy bits in there - plus plenty of fuel in the form of various linen etc) plus two in the Bear Cave (one is an ionisation alarm, the other is optical).  The two separate alarm technologies are good for detecting different types of fire.  The kitchen has a heat alarm....see below......

25 minutes ago, BoD said:

Don’t kitchens get… erm… warm?
Smoke alarms are better for knowing when your meal is ready.

Smoke alarms in kitchens tend to be a no-no cos' the detectors tend to get bvggered up by microscopic particles of cooking fat etc. in the air.  Heat alarms don't suffer this issue - and if the kitchen gets hot enough to set one off then you've got far bigger problems than burnt toast....

In other news......

Three out of four walls fondled, stroked and rubbed by the Beary Paws :laugh: - just one wall (the outside i.e. window wall) plus the boxed-in pipework left to do.  Then it'll be fill and rub down any little gremlins detected, followed by a wipe down with a wet cloth to get rid of any dust created by the sanding.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 8

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

... a combined co and smoke alarm in the living room, must communicate with each other

I have these on each floor and they are wired in.

I'm sure they are very effective, but when you hit the test button they go nuts. The first one, along with the alarm sound, starts talking: "FIRE!", and after a pause, "CARBON MONOXIDE!", etc. Then it's friend downstairs starts going off.

In addition to the dreaded 'chirp' of the battery alarm they also say: "Low Battery!".

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

25 minutes ago, polybear said:

Smoke alarms in kitchens tend to be a no-no cos' the detectors tend to get bvggered up by microscopic particles of cooking fat etc.

I've had smoke alarms triggered by steam from the shower as well.

In my old apartment the hallway smoke detector would go off whenever I used the broiler/griller to cook Steelhead (an oily rainbow trout).  I would run down the hall and flap a tea towel at the smoke detector until it stopped. There was an extraction fan in the range hood, but it wasn't vented and while it did contain a filter, it mostly just circulated cooking smoke.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

Thanks to the  La Nina bringing a  cool moist weather system over the last few months,  if  it hits the forecast 34 degrees today it  will  be pretty much the hottest day of this summer, with Autumn officially beginning today, and the next week forecast to be low twenties and showers.  Regular rainy days and a return to afternoon tropical storms has kept the grass green and the dams full and other than over in Western Australia there haven't been any usual bushfire news stories or the  smell of burning gum trees and bits of burnt leaves floating through the air.

Haven't missed standing round with a hose watering things, or having to wear a facemask in 40 degrees and/or high humidity gotta say.  And everything is green and tropical rather than dry and crunchy or on fire.

This mixed with the total lack of international and interstate visitors making the beaches, the city centre  and surrounding  tourist spots spookily empty has made this the weirdest summer I can remember.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:
45 minutes ago, polybear said:

Smoke alarms in kitchens tend to be a no-no cos' the detectors tend to get bvggered up by microscopic particles of cooking fat etc.

I've had smoke alarms triggered by steam from the shower as well.

The wretched, but well-intentioned, things Upon the Hill of Strawberries are known as the toast alarms.  They are extremely sensitive which is fundamentally a Good Thing.  However they are not hard-wired and it is known that some tenants remove the batteries because they are fed up at having to cook with the windows and doors wide open to avoid deafening the block.  

Ours is outside the kitchen in the hallway which, given the geography, is sensible because it alerts us to the possibility of one exit being blocked.  I would like another outside the bedrooms but so far the landlord has declined my requests on the grounds that what is provided meets the legal requirements.  Next door, which has a rather different floor plan,  has one in the hallway and one in the kitchen and both are constantly going off.  Upstairs either keeps the back door open or has disabled theirs somehow because we never now hear it but it was always going off with all the previous tenants.  

Making a humble slice of toast will trigger ours unless the kitchen door is shut.  Cooking anything which might make smoke - so anything as basic as frying onions, eggs, or even a goodly amount of steam in the air will require back door and windows open and a tea-towel at the ready to "stir the air" around the alarm when it goes off.  

We're happy to know that our alarms are very likely to save us from disaster but it's very frustrating, not to mention cold and sometimes wet, to always have to cook with the back door open.  I've triggered the alarm once or twice with steam from the shower as well.  

In other news this is the first time today that I have been able to access the site; until a few minutes ago all I could get was the 522 Error despite receiving email alerts to others having posted.  Maybe I smell ;) :stink:

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

We're happy to know that our alarms are very likely to save us from disaster but it's very frustrating, not to mention cold and sometimes wet, to always have to cook with the back door open.  I've triggered the alarm once or twice with steam from the shower as well.  

Sounds like it's an ionisation smoke alarm - swapping it for an optical smoke alarm may well sort the problem:

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/smoke-fire-and-gas-detection-faqs/91/what-is-the-difference-between-an-ionisation-and-an-optical-smoke-alarm/

Edit:  They also have Alarms compliant with the new Scottish Regulations; it seems that units with sealed batteries meet the regs. also, meaning mains wiring isn't necessary:

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/scotland-2022-regulation-smoke-heat-co-carbon-monoxide-alarms/

Edited by polybear
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

Yes, covid has been a great excuse to work from home doing the square root of not a lot for our council employees and local police in Leeds.  Time this was stopped. Will this happen... I doubt it..  PAH!

Baz

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

When calling my GP the list of what to do and not to do related to covid is read out followed by a list of button numbers, fortunately if you know what number the whole thing can be skipped. Talking to someone I know if she does that with her surgery it just goes back to the start, wasting even more time.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Evening All,

Best wishes to all especially those  suffering. 
SWMBO had a motorway speed awareness zoom meeting this morning starting at 7:45 so an early start was had by all.

My morning was spent doing paperwork then a walk down to the garden centre for a bit of lunch then a quick walk home for a telephone call. This was very positive and may repeat may help solve the issue with the business that has be bothering me recently.

Then a hour in the garden, a trip to the dump it site and then called off at mils for a cuppa. Home, bath, tea and an early night followed.

Robert

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Very clever...I wonder what the bill was?  Big, very big or obscenely big.....

He did tell me how much.   At first thought I would have said very big, BUT as it's a very rare box where are you going to get another one to replace it? So, I think I'd have to go for big.

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Smoke alarms in kitchens tend to be a no-no cos' the detectors tend to get bvggered up by microscopic particles of cooking fat etc. in the air.  Heat alarms don't suffer this issue - and if the kitchen gets hot enough to set one off then you've got far bigger problems than burnt toast....

Don't talk to me about smoke detectors!   I recently replaced the one in the kitchen  ..........   F Useless.      You just need to give the toaster a good hard stare and the flippin thing goes off.   Bacon, lamb chops, well cooked chips all a complete No No.        I did set fire to some wood recently on the draining board when doing some , Hmmmm, soldering over the kitchen sink with a blow torch (I will not use a naked flame in the garage, particularly as it's part of the house) - NOT A MURMUR !!!     I think the expression is Pah!

Alan

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Bear has been pondering and researching lounge colour schemes; as there's a dado rail then two-tone schemes are a very real possibility.  Blood & Custard has been discounted as an option.  Chocolate & Cream?  Don't be silly......

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, BoD said:

Suffice to say I think too many are using COVID as an excuse to do nothing or as little as possible

54 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Yes, covid has been a great excuse to work from home doing the square root of not a lot

Absolutely agree!

39 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

When calling my GP the list of what to do and not to do related to covid is read out followed by a list of button numbers, fortunately if you know what number the whole thing can be skipped. Talking to someone I know if she does that with her surgery it just goes back to the start, wasting even more time.

Unfortunately we get the first bit but we don't get the second bit.    We just get the receptionist  (generally the only person to speak directly

to grubby patients anyway in the first instance ) who normal says "I'm just putting you on hold for a moment ........"  and does!

PAH!  PAH!  PAH!  PAH!  PAH!  &  PAH!

• Friendly/supportive 14

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Thanks to the La Nina bringing a cool moist weather system over the last few months ...

She has skipped town here. After very heavy La Niña-influenced rains around Christmas and New Year we've seen very little since. While our neighbours to the north did have (a lot) more rain, we've had mostly sunny days and clear, freezing nights for much of January with a little occasional morning frost or fog.

We did get yesterday's forecast rain - there was not very much, perhaps 4mm. And the forecast showers today have not materialized here though it has been cloudy. We will end the month slightly ahead of "normal" precipitation thanks to the rain at the beginning of the month.

The wheel of the year is turning on sporting events. The NFL post-season ends with the "Superbowl" in two weeks. The Australian Open tennis is over*, and the PGA Tour golf is in full swing (if you'll pardon the pun). It is time to be doing more productive things.

* With surprising difficulty I watched the end of the men's final today - despite knowing the outcome. I had recorded the match, but only the first four sets (my DVR not having an option to record more than 90 minutes beyond the programmed slot). I then recorded an edited-for-time replay and was ultimately able to watch all but the first three games of the final set.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The underfloor storage area has had its second coat of sealer, all that remains to do now is put a plaster in the gaps between the sheets of plasterboard I fitted yesterday and give it a coat of paint. I’ve an old tub of white that I can use, this should lighten it all up. Once that’s done I can put all the Christmas decorations back, clearing space in the cellar.

Goodnight all 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2