The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

Just reviewed fruit juices diabetics and joint pain, basically I'm stuffed..

Remember my 3 choices? well a full second coat tomorrow is stuffed too. SWMBO's brother and wife are appearing tomorrow for 24 hours thereafter. The phone call came just after my last posting, So tomorrow there will be a quick inspection, a touch up if required in odd places and that's it. Then domestic duties will take over.

Just as I arrived at the edge of the industrial estate the MRC is at there was a smell of burning plastic, not good on an estate with a boat builders, a boat window makers, fibreglass moulders and various engineering works. Luckily on exiting later  I noticed it's from a bonfire in someone's garden blowing over the estate.

At the MRC I turned the layout 90 degrees, and did some of slartybartfasts work.

Our internal walls are brick, so WiFi is iffy in places, but just about acceptable, I have a  WiFi over the mains extender, it's planned to put one in the garage workshop as a repeater, to get round the corner to the mobile home.

Muggachoccy time then good night Awl,

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Everything is almost back to normal now, temperature, appetite, etc. Though still feeling a bit weak. 

1 hour ago, polybear said:

The other prison inmates know how to deal with such people.

14 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Evening Awl,

Just reviewed fruit juices diabetics and joint pain, basically I'm stuffed..

That reminded me that though I'm not diabetic I have to keep an eye on  my BG to make sure that I avoid becoming so. During the summer months I used to drink a lot of fruit juice until I was told that my BG was getting close to diabetic levels. I have since found a replacement in a milk substitute based on oats. Not only can it be drunk hot or cold but it also lowers cholesterol and reduces uric acid. Its made by Alpro and can be found in the lactose free chill cabinets. There's  a couple of different types, I go for the 'no sugar' one.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 27/01/2022 at 00:54, pH said:

The country may not officially change to metric. However, metric is used in the US. My brother-in-law was an engineer in the States (now retired) and he did a lot of his work in metric.

The ambivalent British attitude to metric v imperial is well illustrated by ratios developed long ago such as 2mm/ft, 3.5mm/ft 4mm/ft and 7mm/ft that are still commonly encountered in certain circles which must not be spoken of here lest eternal damnation should follow.

They can't be American because they only use imperial units (or a corrupted American version of them full of short measures) and they can't be European because they almost never use imperial units so they have to be British in origin, even if most British people who move in such crcles think that the 3.5mm/ft one is something nasty, foreign and alien. Both sorts of foreigners turn them into a ratio (so it doesn't matter if things are measured in furlongs, cubits or league) but the Americans do it more pedantically as 1:87.1 while the Europeans sensibly rationalise it to 1:87.

The Briions in this field make life even more confusing by scaling things using two different  ratios (4 and 3.5mm/ft at the same time) and blaming it on a Geordie engineer.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

The ambivalent British attitude to metric v imperial is well illustrated by ratios developed long ago such as 2mm/ft, 3.5mm/ft 4mm/ft and 7mm/ft that are still commonly encountered in certain circles which must not be spoken of here lest eternal damnation should follow.

They can't be American because they only use imperial units (or a corrupted American version of them full of short measures) and they can't be European because they almost never use imperial units so they have to be British in origin, even if most British people who move in such crcles think that the 3.5mm/ft one is something nasty, foreign and alien. Both sorts of foreigners turn them into a ratio (so it doesn't matter if things are measured in furlongs, cubits or league) but the Americans do it more pedantically as 1:87.1 while the Europeans sensibly rationalise it to 1:87.

The Briions in this field make life even more confusing by scaling things using two different  ratios (4 and 3.5mm/ft at the same time) and blaming it on a Geordie engineer.

I recall an American railroad magazine giving measurements on a drawing in 1,000ths of an inch, and that was in the seventies.

• Like 9

12 hours ago, PupCam said:

Morning All!

I feel I have truly joined the Early Risers now!   Haven't been sleeping well lately and last night was a bit of a record I woke every 30-40 minutes.  I think it's a combination of the Cold I have inherited from Mrs Puppers (Phew -ve LFT again) and my new medication.  I'd planned to go for the the first blood tests following the medication change but I'm not up to it today so looks like a job for Monday.

Disappointed that I had to cancel my attendance at the mates Pie and Pint night down the local last night but I did manage to spend a short time outside in the early evening sky gawping.   The Pleiades are amazing.   Barely detectable with the naked eye (at least my naked eye) you're better off sneaking up on them using your more sensitive peripheral vision.  But, WOW! when you finally find them in the telescope they are like a box of sparkly gems.   A minor first last night was I actually managed to find and focus on them with the camera body attached - hitherto all I could see on the camera screen was blackness.   Whilst the photographs are all a bit fuzzy mostly due to the combination of long exposure and the slight breeze that was nudging the scope it's definitely another step forward :yahoo:

Alan

1087728316_Pleiades1.jpg.6048c11734b3c96054e1f25179f2c80a.jpg

595751921_Pleiades2.jpg.88be1c1692dfba6ac87760f45a18ff81.jpg

There's a couple of worthwhile things in nearby Orion. The Orion nebula is easily seen with the naked eye, it's the middle 'star' in Orion's sword that hangs below his belt so give that a squizz.

Also if you have a dark night the Horsehead Nebula is locatable with a scope to the south of the most easterly star that makes up his belt.

There's yet  another nebula in Orion bit I've never managed to locate it...

32 and sunny as - to the beach, Batman!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Today was a 'phone appointment with the practice nurse about my diabetes, following blood tests last week(ish)

All numbers within normal parameters . . . . no more Metbloodyformin .  . . . ,. ,keep doing what you're doing. . . .

And I thowt I wuz being a naughty boy . . . mind . . I didn't cut the carbs completely.

As for Darlo Shed . . . Poor Bugga . . . . Fotty Yors rang side of the Tees . . . .

Goodnight all  . . . .Sleep well . .

John

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, polybear said:

When the laptop is plugged into, or right next to the Router (i.e. WiFi) it's 36 Mbps; when in the conservatory (16 Mbps or less) it's via WiFi

How old is the laptop, if it's a couple of years or more then maybe a new wifi  card is something to ponder if you don't want to replace the whole thing.

Wifi 6 (802.11ax) is a whole new world compared to the old 802.11ac and earlier  pre 2019 stuff. I bought a new laptop last July with it, previous uploads/downloads over wifi to/from my NAS were 4 to 6mb/sec with my  2014 era laptop, now it's 70mb/sec plus using  the new protocol.

The NAS has a 1gb ethernet  port connected to my wifi router and claimed transfer speeds over wifi were up to 100mb/sec.  I'd been blaming either the NAS software or  the laptop  windows configuration for the poor performance and spent ages fiddling around with that end when it was the old school  laptop wifi all along.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Informative/Useful 13

2 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

Fotty Yors rang side of the Tees

Quite! But I've become accustomed to it now - I suppose you can get used to anything in four decades. And i still have visiting rights... my sister lives just outside Darlington, and Mrs Shed's family are further north in Newcastle. So I get to drive in and through the Land of the Prince Bishops at regular intervals (or did until the recent troubles curtailed travel).

Hope your diabolicals continue to improve!

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning to all and of course sundry from a still dark Charente.  We had an excellent  start to yesterday when we went to see M Balluet at his distillery.  We pondered long and hard as to which sorts of liquid antiseptic  to purchase and of course had to sample some.  Brandy breakfast anyone.  We also discovered that hechas a special fizzy Cognac that has to be kept in the freezer and it's equivalent fizzy Pineau that also has to be chilled. Theseclast two are only available  for local distribution. It would have been rude not to buy some samples to taste.  By the time we'd finished being entertained there it was 11.30  so we decided on lunch and found an excellent restaurant and enjoyed the plat du jour.  A call at a garden centre completed the trip out.

Today we will start with our hourvon rhe video link to Emily and her Mums then some fencing work is on the agenda.

Thoughts with all those ER's who are ailing or trobled and hope to see BoD soon.

Regards to all

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl inner temple Hare,

5.5hours sleep and ... No more. Joints playing up, paws painful, I blame Malik.

RMweb terrible this morning, this is the third attempt to get on.

I notice the local area website makes remarks about the burning plastic smell I reported last night. Seemingly newcomers just moved in burning a lot of packaging.

I here SWMBO has surfaced about to go into panic mode, with visitors, 

Time I put the kettle on.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

The use of mil (especially as in milliradian has caused problems for some designers over the years. Another concern was how the x,y,z axis is orientated (x into the ground or x into the sky)

Much constination in Leeds.. @Dave Hunt will love it. " a large mystery airplane has been seen flying around Leeds" yes it is an RAF C17.. perhaps they have missed that and the A400M training visits that have been going on for months?

Time to have some breakfast and get back to the walkabout!

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

If it's red or yellow then it's probably got a lot of iron.

Good Faraday cage material.

My parents' house oop narf is somewhat structurally averse to wi-fi signals too. It's not made of iron-laced stonework to my knowledge but apparently there's some kind of structural reinforcement which limits signal propagation. Or the material might simply be very dense, as Dad once mentioned drilling holes for dowels and such is a lot of effort, even with his high spec impact drill. That being said, distributing four or five repeaters (I think) throughout the house seems to have largely eliminated the problem.

Moaning owl. Wet and windy outside, but I will have to venture out for some foodstuffs later anyway. I still have some leftover CCC from last night, so I guess I'll use that up either today or tomorrow. For the other day, I was thinking along the lines of stir-fried prawns and veg with Asian noodles. In my experience, cooking something for the soul, if you will, helps me a lot, too.

The basement renovation (I'm sure I mentioned that at some point!) is finally expected to get going by February, too. The builders will also dispose any kind of junk that we would like to get rid of, so there's a huge pile of that in one of the  basement rooms right now. I gather they'll carry everything to the local recycling yard, so I hope they won't overwhelm the facilities there!

Later, Gator… :bye_mini:

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

How old is the laptop, if it's a couple of years or more then maybe a new wifi  card is something to ponder if you don't want to replace the whole thing.

Wifi 6 (802.11ax) is a whole new world compared to the old 802.11ac and earlier  pre 2019 stuff.

Many thanks; Bear's Laptop is an Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G-574F (at least that's what the sticky label on the front says...) with an Intel Core i5-7200U 2.5GhZ and running Windows 10; it does indeed have 802.11ac wireless.  What all that b0llox actually means is lost on this Bear....

Would such an upgrade to the wireless be practical?  Bear had a quick google but when it started mentioning "Generation 10 oojimaflips or later required" I beat a hasty retreat.....

44 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I notice the local area website makes remarks about the burning plastic smell I reported last night. Seemingly newcomers just moved in burning a lot of packaging.

How to win new friends and introduce yourselves......:laugh:

6 minutes ago, NGT6 1315 said:

My parents' house oop narf is somewhat structurally averse to wi-fi signals too. It's not made of iron-laced stonework to my knowledge but apparently there's some kind of structural reinforcement which limits signal propagation. :bye_mini:

Ah-ha......Bear's router is at the front of the house (literally - any further and it'd be in the garden....) and the Conservatory is at the back of the house (no surprises there....).  In between the two is the kitchen - which has numerous walls covered in Expamet Mesh before being plastered.....

In other news.....

Bear will finally attempt to patch the Artex today; I also have two PIR's to return to Amazon - they were a good price and Bear was aware that they came from Amazon EU, not UK.  They failed to mention that the EU devices operate at different frequencies though - and the manufacturer has just confirmed that they "may interfere with other electronic devices, or be susceptible to false alarms".  Turdycurses.  At least Amazon are picking up the tab for the postage.

Apart from that it's MIUAIGA day; at to what actually gets "Made Up" will depend on how much of a groove Bear is stuck in - at the moment that groove seems to be dangerously close to the dreaded Black Dog Kennel.

One result at college on thurs was the acquisition of a sample of "Owatrol Oil", which apparently is good for retarding the drying of oil based paints (there is also "Floetrol" for water based paints) and avoiding brush marks etc.  I've been wanting to try it for a while, but at something like thirty quid a litre it runs the risk of being an expensive test if it doesn't help Bear get a decent finish (I like to be able to faff around with paint - which is fatal ever since the likes of Dulux, Crown etc. tailored their flavours to suit the likes of EU etc. regulations.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9