The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

The calorie is not an SI unit. Neither is the Calorie

Agreed, hence my initial correction. Probably better had I just deleted the original text. I typed it, quickly realized it was wrong and used the strikethrough.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

kcal is better spelled as Calorie, with a capital C to distinguish it from the cgs lower case calorie.

It is perhaps the most confusing of the SI (sorry, metric) units. 

SI mks of course uses joules, avoiding all that cgs confusion.

EDIT

In the brave new Britain, perhaps there will be an adoption of BTUs for food labelling, so as to avoid confusion and foreign Euro-units? ;)

1 BTU ≈ 1.055 kJ ≈ 0.252 kcal (Calories)

I was surprised that BTU's are still used in the USA for things like lovo coa eg BTU's per pound. I did wonder how many people over there knew that the B stood for British.   Mind you I find quite a lotbof things here in France in Imperial sizes, particularly pipe fittings for swimming pools.

Jamie

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I was surprised that BTU's are still used in the USA.

Of course it is. Americans love Imperial Units and won't let go. It's one of many ironies living here, that they celebrate "independence" from things British - except of course for all the weights and measures, the language, the shared history, the shared legal standards rooted in English common law, etc, etc. (There's probably more interest in the British royal family here than in Britain.)

Of course many of the units use the same term but actually measure a slightly different quantity - like fluid ounces, pints, gallons and the ton (2,000 lbs unlike the "long ton" of 2,240 lbs).

Australia went fully metric in 1974. I was in primary school at the time and we were taught both Imperial and metric weights and measures simultaneously. (We didn't do the more obscure Imperial measures like firkins and hogsheads.) Australia quit Imperial Units "cold turkey" and everything changed rapidly - including highway signs (there were of course stragglers that were missed and hung around for a while), petrol pumps* and food packaging. The biggest complaints were from sports fans - horse races were called in metres instead of furlongs and the 25 yard line became the 22 in Rugby.)

* Often cited in the US as a big "unfunded mandate" cost in switching from Imperial to metric. This might have had some meaning 50 years ago, but with modern electronic equipment it would cost relatively little to switch pumps to litres today.

One of the weird interactions in the electronics world is that IC packaging and circuit board design and manufacturing continue to be based on fractions of an inch, whereas the IC design is, of course, all metric. This can create some serious problems in design databases depending on what fundamental units the design system uses for minimum resolution.

Then, famously the Mars Climate Orbiter.

An investigation attributed the failure to a measurement mismatch between two software systems: metric units by NASA and US Customary (imperial or "English") units by spacecraft builder Lockheed Martin.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

:( Nephew (who we think the world of) just told us their marriage is over - Mrs off with someone else - two kids under 3. Pah doesn't quite cover it. And here was us thinking 2022 might be a less sh!t year.

Just off to kick something inanimate.

"Someone else's" Nuts would be a good start.  Numerous times.....

Sorry to hear that NHN.....SBT's as always :friends:

• Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

When the metric system was being pushed by the Canadian government, there was major resistance from the gas station industry.  Then there was an almost overnight switch to litres when the price per gallon went over $1.00 and they would have had to cut another hole in the gas pumps for the extra digit.  That happened anyway when the price went over $1 per litre.

And I encourage BoD to keep on here.  We can handle it.

• Like 12
  • Agree 5

A visit to the sorting office yesterday shed no light on the mystery of the blank notification card, save to confirm that there was no record of anything addressed to me awaiting collection.  On the way home something nice happened on the bus.  A fellow passenger remarked on how well my rainbow mask went with my equally rainbow bobble hat.  Although this has happened before, it was particularly welcome on this occasion.

Today will be busy.  In late morning I am to undergo my nominally annual diabetes review, which I described yesterday as the reading of the riot act.  This evening I am one of three blind mice!  This is the organiser’s way of saying that three speakers are giving presentations to the HMRS Bletchley Area.  Marketing, eh?

Tomorrow evening I hope to have a quick word with someone who knows the other half of the ruptured friendship and may be able to provide some reassurance. 

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 18

10 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

…Calories can also be used to describe the amount of energy your body needs to perform physical tasks including:

• breathing
  • thinking
  • maintaining your heartbeat

Would it be unkind of me to venture the opinion that the second bullet point may not apply for many people?

9 hours ago, polybear said:

Scrooge?  SCROOGE?  Bear just happens to be very financially astute

I suppose that’s one way of putting it…

9 hours ago, polybear said:

….VSBT's to poor Lucy - and Mr & Mrs iD......:friends:

Always appreciated, Bear! :good:

8 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Only people born before 1960 will have any real experience of working with pounds, shillings and pence.

Not only that, we of a certain vintage will remember farthings as well - still to be found in loose change when I was a wee bairn. 

(puts on pseudo Northern/Yorkshire accent) Guineas? we were too poor to have to do with Guineas - that’s proper posh folks money, that is…

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis is back in full voice, Nurofen is about to be taken.

May I suggest a course of retail therapy instead?*

I would prescribe a loading dose of purchasing at least one locomotive and a rake of carriages, followed by a maintenance dose of a minimum of one goods wagon, daily. Online or in-person administration of retail therapy is equally effective. A bolus of a purchase a new piece of kit can be given for flare ups.

*retail therapy is most effective, although the experts are divided as to the mode of action: is it via the release of endorphins and enkephalins mediated by pleasurable purchases, or by the reduction of stress on the joints by lightening the wallet (or both)?

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I would prescribe a loading dose of purchasing at least one locomotive and a rake of carriages, followed by a maintenance dose of a minimum of one goods wagon, daily. Online or in-person administration of retail therapy is equally effective. A bolus of a purchase a new piece of kit can be given for flare ups.

*retail therapy is most effective, although the experts are divided as to the mode of action: is it via the release of endorphins and enkephalins mediated by pleasurable purchases, or by the reduction of stress on the joints by lightening the wallet (or both)?

12 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

And when Captain Cynical tells you twice, you better pay attention!!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 14

Evening All,

Hope Tiger is ok as I don’t think he’s reported in since visiting the hospital about his eyes.

Flavio, I hope you get Lucy sorted.

Not much of a day here. 
Better leave it fo now. Something wrong with iPad .  Or website. Characters not registering as I type, quite a time lag.

goodnight,

Robert

WRITTEN LAST NIGHT BUT ONLY JUST APPEARED ON HERE. (8.45)

Edited by Erichill16
Add last comment
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl Inner Temple hare..

It seems the initial 5 hours sleep is a settled thing what happens after that is variable. Last night i fell asleep an hour early so woke an hour early, then looong awake followed by 2 hours sleep.

Traffic is definitely on the increase as many start WFW instead of WFH. This morning, however, I had a different problem, a 44 ton artic parked in a single track road, hazards on, he was alongside a mud passing place with lots of potholes, no problem today as I was in the landrover, those coming along in normal cars might not like it though.

I suspect he's waiting for a big pile of sugar beet further down the lane to be ready  to load, I passed 4 other such lorries heading in that direction further on,  on the main road.

It looks like the major system will be handed to me shortly, but there's a new test procedure, so I'm waiting for the boss to come in to show me what it is, Meantime there 24 current shunts to do, having shipped the 2nd Temperature meter just before end of shift yesterday.

It's 22.98C in here at 26.04% humidity or so I've just recorded on the first Shunts records. 

Time to do the second shunt.

• Like 15