The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

43 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I read that as 350,000 calories?? For lunch???? :o I do not think that I eat that much in half of a year! :biggrin_mini:

A calorie is defined as the amount of heat energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1°C.

Calories are normally used to describe the amount of energy your body gets from what you eat and drink.

Calories can also be used to describe the amount of energy your body needs to perform physical tasks including:

• breathing
  • thinking
  • maintaining your heartbeat

The amount of energy that foods provide is normally recorded in thousands of calories, or kilocalories (kcal).

For instance, one carrot generally provides you with 25,000 calories, or 25 kcal. On the other hand, running on the treadmill for 30 minutes generally requires you to use 300,000 calories, or 300 kcal.

However, because “kilocalories” is an awkward word to use, people often use the term “calories” instead.

For the purposes of this article, the common term “calorie” will be used to describe kilocalories (kcal).

This from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/does-calorie-counting-work#what-is-a-calorie?

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

read that as 350,000 calories

That would actually be correct. The “dietary” Calorie is actually one thousand “proper” calories. I have no idea why. On many packets of food the energy content of the item is often given in kJ (kilojoules) anyway now. A calorie is the energy required to raise one gram of water by one degree Celsius. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I remember doing a science experiment at school that involved heating test tubes of water by burning various items including a peanut and oil to work out the calorific value. The lab looked like Kuwait after Saddam's visit with plumes of acrid black smoke rising all over

Edited by simontaylor484
Fat finger syndrome
  • Funny 18

40 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

However, because “kilocalories” is an awkward word to use, people often use the term “calories” instead.

kcal is better spelled as Calorie, with a capital C to distinguish it from the cgs lower case calorie.

Some authors recommend the spelling Calorie and the symbol Cal (both with a capital C) to avoid confusion; however, this convention is often ignored.

It is perhaps the most confusing of the SI (sorry, metric) units. 

SI mks of course uses joules, avoiding all that cgs confusion.

EDIT

In the brave new Britain, perhaps there will be an adoption of BTUs for food labelling, so as to avoid confusion and foreign Euro-units? ;)

1 BTU ≈ 1.055 kJ ≈ 0.252 kcal (Calories)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
BTUs?
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

On many packets of food the energy content of the item is often given in kJ (kilojoules) anyway now.

Sensibly so. This is the standard in Australia. Joules are not (or are only rarely) used on US food packaging. It is all Calories (kcal).

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 minutes ago, BoD said:

I’m sure they were only following instructions and a script

Sorry to hear that. My cousin has some similar stories in managing her late mum's arrangements.

She had a full meltdown over some forms of ID she required related to her married versus unmarried name and the State of Queensland now not recognizing a marriage certificate signed during a religious service (as opposed to the official state registrar's form) as a valid form of name change. The person at the 'help' desk was furiously typing away trying to find a solution when my cousin realized she was wearing her State Government employee badge (which is in her unmarried name) on a lanyard. Would that do? Yes!

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. RMW seems to be running a bit better but how much of that is due to people giving up? There is nowhere near the usual amount of traffic on the forum.

3 hours ago, The Lurker said:

why didn't they tell you that when you called them rather than telling you'd they would put them aside?

The lady I spoke to had just arrived for the start of her shift and wasn't aware of the situation. She was very apologetic but I was able to get my papers from an independent newsagents anyway. Fortunately the independent newsagent has a different supplier. Most of the other news outlets locally are supplied by John Menzies including the supermarkets so if one has not had a delivery no one has. Menzies are having difficulties with deliveries, so many staff out isolating (Tess Coes even have notices to that effect). They didn't have Model Rail when it came out last week so I got mine when I went to one of the emporiums on Saturday.

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

You are Scrooge McBear and I claim my £10…

Six quid for a decent wedge of cake made by a celebrity baker using real ingredients(tm) and an absence of E-numbers sounds like a bargain to me.

Scrooge?  SCROOGE?  Bear just happens to be very financially astute - a slice of cake out of a machine or two whole LDC's out of the Co-op.  Tough choice?  Not in this Bear's Book.....:laugh:

......then I’m making damn sure that I’m not wasting my calories on a chemistry set masquerading as “food”.

:rofl:

Unfortunately it’s been a bit of a tumultuous and stressful morning for me - I had to go back to the vet with Lucy. Once again she’s refusing food, eating grass and I discovered today that she’s lost weight (700g according to the scales at the vet. A lot for a small dog). Our vet has provisionally diagnosed chronic pancreatitis (pending lab work results). I was worried about the possibility of either gastric or pancreatic cancer - but fortunately Lucy’s clinical picture is inconsistent with those diagnoses. If does turn out to be chronic pancreatitis, poor Lucy will have to give up all those things she loves: sausages, cheese, liver pâté, etc. A future of spartan gastronomy awaits and Lucy will join me in culinary misery - boiled rice and chicken for her, salads for me….

Boiled rice, plain chicken, salads….. We both may loose the will to live….

VSBT's to poor Lucy - and Mr & Mrs iD......:friends:

36 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

On the other hand, running on the treadmill for 30 minutes generally requires you to use 300,000 calories, or 300 kcal.

Now I wonder how many calories Bear would use scoffing a F/E with LDC chaser?

In other news.....

Well the ceiling never did get washed today :sad_mini: - but other "useful" tasks of nondescript nature but necessary nonetheless did get done, so ok really.  The ceiling is the first (and probably only) task on the list for tomorrow.  Hopefully.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

44 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It is perhaps the most confusing of the SI (sorry, metric) units. 

SI mks of course uses Joules, avoiding all that cgs confusion.

Over the course of my O and A levels and into my university we went from fps through cms through kms to SI, which is still the current definition, and is maintained by The General Conference on Weights and Measures (GCWM; French: Conférence Générale des Poids et Mesures, CGPM) is the supreme authority of the International Bureau of Weights and Measures(BIPM), the intergovernmental organization established in 1875 under the terms of the Metre Convention through which member states act together on matters related to measurement science and measurement standards.

fps - foot-pound-second

cms - cemtimetre-gram-second

kms - kilogramme-mertre-second

SI - Système International

Some years ago I wrote a page on my blog site which  is referred to about five or six times a week. https://johncolby.wordpress.com/ancient-and-non-metric-measures/

Edited by Coombe Barton
TYPOMAN looked over my shoulder
  • Like 14

6 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Some years ago I wrote a page on my blog site which  is referred to about five or six times a week. https://johncolby.wordpress.com/ancient-and-non-metric-measures/

And very helpful it is too John. I think I mentioned having found it years ago (and your pre-decimal currency page) - well before encountering you and your blog posts here.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see Gina "where will people be able to park their super yachts during the Brisbane Olympics" and "Its not fair that Australian companies have to pay so much for workers when Africans only need to get paid $2 an hour"   Reinhardt got an Order Of Australia in todays Australia Day honours list.

Not the most contentious one ever, that'd be when  Tony Abbott awarded an Australian knighthood - an award  that he'd just dredged up again from our colonial past  not long before - to Prince Philip then wondered why the whole country either fell about laughing or wrote outraged letters to the papers.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

And very helpful it is too John. I think I mentioned having found it years ago (and your pre-decimal currency page) - well before encountering you and your blog posts here.

Only people born before 1960 will have any real experience of working with pounds, shillings and pence.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

23 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Only people born before 1960 will have any real experience of working with pounds, shillings and pence.

I found your page while trying to comprehend the mysteries of Guineas and Crowns.

Australia introduced decimal currency ahead of Britain, on February 14, 1966. My brother was born two days earlier. My father had a favourite "dad joke" that he would have named my brother "Dollar Bill" (below) had he arrived two days later.

image.png.24eb39fbaa21c39b74140ec5539487e1.png

From advertising here.

For some reason, even though I was a youngster when pounds, shillings and pence disappeared, my dad made sure I understood them.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1:50 PST and RMW is acting up - worst its ever been!  Select topic and something else entirely shows up.  Slow - its hard to remember when it wasn't.  One really has to be a masochist to go through all this to find messages that certainly don't cheer one up, most are sad and refer only to those involved.  Surely a close friend is a better confidante than someone you don't know, perhaps thousands of miles away.  Luckily, be selective and there is still a lot of interesting content to be found and its the only game in town!

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 11

28 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Rant mode on 

Just seen an ad for Katie Price's Mucky Mansion starting on Channel 4 tomorrow. 2 things 

1 she is allegedly bankrupt

2 she should be a guest of Her Majesty for her latest escapade of drink driving whilst disqualified. The average Joe/Josie would have been banged up 

That's a change, we usually get your hand-me-downs washing ashore down   here to be a judge on Australia's Got Talent, or guest  hosting  the Logies.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 16

25 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I found your page while trying to comprehend the mysteries of Guineas and Crowns.

I wrote it initially when Sandy and I were doing stuff on Cornish Mines and wanted to get values, adding up accounts and things like that. thought to would be good to create a resource for future researchers.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 6