The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Hmmm...not too shabby.....

Today *should* see Bear remove the fancy light fitting (not quite Only Fools and Horses Chandelier though...)  from the lounge ceiling and temporarily replace it with a pendant whilst cleaning and painting of the ceiling happens; 10L of Dulux Trade Paint was ordered for this yesterday, which is eighty quid I'll not see again :sad_mini:.  Hopefully I'll proceed to washing down the ceiling too....

Bear's News of the Day.....

Well there's stupid....and there's S-T-U-P-I-D.....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/nephew-who-took-uncles-corpse-26030937?presentid=webnews&ocid=msedgntp

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Hmmm...not too shabby.....

Today *should* see Bear remove the fancy light fitting (not quite Only Fools and Horses Chandelier though...)  from the lounge ceiling and temporarily replace it with a pendant whilst cleaning and painting of the ceiling happens; 10L of Dulux Trade Paint was ordered for this yesterday, which is eighty quid I'll not see again :sad_mini:.  Hopefully I'll proceed to washing down the ceiling too....

Bear's News of the Day.....

Well there's stupid....and there's S-T-U-P-I-D.....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/nephew-who-took-uncles-corpse-26030937?presentid=webnews&ocid=msedgntp

That I'm afraid is the downside of genetics for every one Einstein you get a hundred of these.

• Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

11 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

Greetings all from the boring borough. 

I see once again the site is trying to drive Mr Y into an early grave. Can't see this being a good look for Warner's at all. If you were a newer subscriber to "gold" (not having empathy towards the poor b*gger trying to keep it online, nor the history of the forum) wanting the forum more than the other bits, would you keep subscribing? Likely not. I think it is reaching the point where the accountants have to either properly fund the tin & string behind the scenes, or flog it off. The half arsed attempts of the advertising intrusions must also be driving people away and leaving a poor impression of Warners. 

In other news, I used to use David Clulow for my specs. Bloody pricy but the shop in Canary Wharf & the staff were great. I still have my original set of specs that are usable for reading. Considering I've spent the past 41 1/2 years in front of a computer monitor, my distance vision is only just out of range of being able to drive without, and I only use glasses otherwise for close up reading and playing darts. I moved on as the previous employer had a vision benefit which originally allowed me to go to any participating optician (not Clulow sadly) and pick from a very limited range with limited options. After many complaints about the lack of quality, they changed to a SpecSavers package. That meant every 2 years I got a free basic test, a comprehensive test for £5 extra and most other things included. My last visit would have cost over £600 for everything but I only paid out £95 in the end. (transitions + varifocal + better quality lens) Sadly my new employer doesn't have anything, so I'm dreading the next visit. Like others, I wish they could/would refit existing frames. 

Today I've decided to take a flex day and I'm off to the shed for the next 8 or so hours. Coffee at hand and bbq lamb steaks tonight. 

Enjoy the day. 

Hmm not wishing to cost doubt on your authenticity about the eye tests not being available from your current employer but I understood that this was health and safety legislation and that so long as you spent a certain number of hours in front of a monitor they had to provide them. I may be wrong as its a number of years since I was subject to this but I would double check. It could also be of course depend on how you are employed by them.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Greetings all from a grey and cold Sidcup.

Younger Lurker has a school inset day and as a now teenager he didn't surface until gone 9. His brother leads the way.

I hope Tigerburnie's appointment brings news of a solution.

All the speak of eye appointments reminds me that there is a specsavers reminder on my desk. It is about 2 years since the last and I suspect I will need to move to varifocals for glasses though whether I do for my contacts is another matter. I also wonder how the loss of vision in the lower half of my left eye will affect that. Specsavers sent me straight to the moorfields a&e local branch (which happens to be at Queen Mary's) when I went in complaining of that. Nothing that can be done; I had a small blood clot on the optic nerve that killed half of it. Mrs Lurker, encouraged by her local optician that is next door to specsavers always slags them off an says that they are not proper opticians. But they have always doen fine by me.

And now time to...chivvy along the Lurker boys!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A dull, cool and dark day here in England’s northwest, currently 2C, but expect pedi to rise to 5C later. This morning I shall be completing the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, normally I’d already be there by now, but Sheila wishes to join me this morning, so that’s held things up slightly. After that I shall collect the motion sensor from Screwfix, as I’ve just had a text telling me it’s now ready for collection. There are no firm plans for the afternoon, but that could always change. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Warren -whilst skipping due to site outages and long waits, I did pick up that your mum didn't make it, and sincere condolences are onoffer from this quarter.

Other than that. generic greetings are all I can offer - plus a hope that Andy and his techies manage to get the site stable - members can only put up with so much, and this is the best railway modelling, and also social site on the web, and I for one will try to stay with it.

Fodder run done this morning, and dinner now on (cold chicken once cooked), and Lily walked by 07.00 this morning to allow for the weekly visit to Aldi or Lidl (Aldi this week - they seem to be having a lot less stock issues - I was told by one of the shift managers that as they are still having delivery issues, they are using their own lorries to get the supplies from their manufacturers - seems a good idea to me.

Other than that, not all posts have been read or rated for the reasons stated above.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 13
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning - just.

RMW was on strike earlier, so went to the Bright Lights  of Ramsey to pay the Advocate's bill for our new wills then had a walk. As it is 6c 'feels like' 2c with a really heavy overcast and a hint of drizzle in the air this wasn't very enjoyable, the cold really seemed to get into my joints this morning. 4k paces, just under 2 miles, I've had enough for now.

As a diabetic my annual check is actually done by Specsavers paid for by IoM Govt, but as I have a couple of issues going on I am also in the care of a Consultant Ophthalmologist  - sods law being what it is, the two appointments are on successive days next month!  One doesn't talk to the other of course.....#sigh.  My near vision is changing every year currently, for the better but the young lady at Specsavers tells me that in time this will pass that point and get worse again, in the other direction, an effect of the diabetes.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, chrisf said:

On my doormat yesterday I found one of those cards that postie leaves when something will not go through the letter box and you have to fetch it from the sorting office. 

Bear just hates it when that happens :angry: Fortunately it always seems to give me the option to arrange a redelivery via the website, but as I have a tame postlady sorry, postperson it rarely happens as she puts it in the recycling bin with a note thru' the door.  The parcel van is the worst culprit...

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Grey and cold tis morning so whats new.

There's stupid and then there's STUPID. Apparently the guys a druggie so that sort of stunt should be expected.

The article states the following:

Declan says he believes Peadar may have been dead by the time he and another male got him under the bridge at Pollerton Road, which is less than a two-minute walk from his home – but the pair continued to bring him to the post office by linking arms with him and dragging him there.

- which suggests a blatant admission he knew he was dead but still tried to get the pension.  Banged to rights, M'Lud.

2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

I moved on as the previous employer had a vision benefit which originally allowed me to go to any participating optician (not Clulow sadly) and pick from a very limited range with limited options. After many complaints about the lack of quality, they changed to a SpecSavers package. That meant every 2 years I got a free basic test, a comprehensive test for £5 extra and most other things included.

Bear had a similar deal, but it was a go anywhere allowance and IIRC they pay for the eye test plus sixty quid towards Bear's Varifocals; I also had an insurance package thru' the employer which would pick up a very large lump too (£150?), so the glasses would end up costing very little.  I made sure I got a new pair just before I retired....

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

That I'm afraid is the downside of genetics for every one Einstein you get a hundred of these.

It wasn't Bear's fault, honest.....:cry:

56 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Somehow I've got to try and do this more regularly as there is a bit of a waistline and weight issue going on here.  :whistle:

Bear must too, though I was rather pleased to note that as of this morning I'm back to the pre-Chrimbo weight :yahoo:- having put on a couple of kilo's over the jollities(huh?).  Can't imagine how.....

In other news....

Lounge ceiling light done - that's the morning gone.  Now to sort some din dins....

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Walkabout going well.managing six or seven miles day at a gentle stroll. Plenty of supplies available to keep my strength up!

Sorry to hear about your mum @BoD.

I use a local optician. He has all sorts of machines to  check my eyes out. I keepframes for 2vyears withnew lenses.. then he let's me know when to get information a 2 for one offer to have a set of sunglasses lens fitted in an old frame free gratis..great man! And a cricketer to boot!

And why wouldI drive allthe way to Barnard Castle to visit specsavers (who support the County cricket umpires with adverts on their clothes! Obviously us mere mortals don't need their support.

Time to...

Have lunch...

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Oh what a gray day.

That bloke in Ireland taking his dead Uncle to the Post Office its like a scene from a TV show you couldn't write it.

As Forrest Gump would say "Stupid is as stupid does"

The Fecking eejits

Have blasted the muck off the car at the jet wash so I now expect rain later.

• Like 12
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. No papers this morning though the newsagents had no problems and when I phoned them they said they'd put them aside. That means I've got to go out to get them. I was hoping to stay in today. 

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Walkabout going well.managing six or seven miles day at a gentle stroll. Plenty of supplies available to keep my strength up!

Sorry to hear about your mum @BoD.

I use a local optician. He has all sorts of machines to  check my eyes out. I keepframes for 2vyears withnew lenses.. then he let's me know when to get information a 2 for one offer to have a set of sunglasses lens fitted in an old frame free gratis..great man! And a cricketer to boot!

And why wouldI drive allthe way to Barnard Castle to visit specsavers (who support the County cricket umpires with adverts on their clothes! Obviously us mere mortals don't need their support.

Time to...

Have lunch...

Stay safe!

Baz

I'm sure there's a joke in there about Cummings and Goings with Barnard Castle but I didn't want to get banned from the forum..

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Oh what a gray day.

That bloke in Ireland taking his dead Uncle to the Post Office its like a scene from a TV show you couldn't write it.

As Forrest Gump would say "Stupid is as stupid does"

The Fecking eejits

Have blasted the muck off the car at the jet wash so I now expect rain later.

They must have seen the film Waking Ned, quite funny.  Made here, they borrowed a work colleague's car for James Nesbit to drive. Another friend's relation is the naked bloke riding the MZ bike, body double, LOL.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Went down to the newsagents for the papers that were not delivered only to find that they hadn't received any papers to deliver. However I was able to get the papers from an independent newsagent. Now for the sudoku and the crossword, be back later.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BoD said:

voice recognition system used by British Gas

It wasn’t British Gas but the last voice recognition system I was interrogated by eventually put me through to a human. He said when I needed to ring them I should  remain silent and the system would put me through to a human. That  did work for them, perhaps it works on other systems too.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BoD said:

The voice recognition system used by British Gas when you call them is carp.

Say in a few words the reason for your call.
I wish to speak to the bereavement team.

You have a fault with your shower. Is this correct?

No , I wish to speak to a member of the bereavement team.

You have no electricity. Is this correct?

No, I wish to report the DEATH of a customer.

I’m sorry I didn’t  quite get that. Say in a few words the reason for your call.

Ah well, onward and upward as they say.

Edit - and now I’ve just received a text message asking me to rate their service.  I wonder what to reply.

Not the sort of thing you want to contend with at a very difficult time!  

I'm sure you will be able to think of an appropriate phrase to describe the incompetent, dimwit system.   

And to think, some idiot was probably proud of producing/introducing that - such people need to get a grip.

Good luck!

Alan

UPDATE:

You could always try one of Polybear's snottograms to the man at the top:

https://ceoemail.com/s.php?id=c-9519

Using this advice:

https://ceoemail.com/hints.php

Edited by PupCam
Additional info added
  • Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...snip... if I only have an allowance of 350kcals for lunch ...snip...

I read that as 350,000 calories?? For lunch???? :o I do not think that I eat that much in half of a year! :biggrin_mini:

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...snip... Unfortunately it’s been a bit of a tumultuous and stressful morning for me - I had to go back to the vet with Lucy. Once again she’s refusing food, eating grass and I discovered today that she’s lost weight (700g according to the scales at the vet. A lot for a small dog). Our vet has provisionally diagnosed chronic pancreatitis (pending lab work results). I was worried about the possibility of either gastric or pancreatic cancer - but fortunately Lucy’s clinical picture is inconsistent with those diagnoses. If does turn out to be chronic pancreatitis, poor Lucy will have to give up all those things she loves: sausages, cheese, liver pâté, etc.

I am sorry to hear about Lucy, I hope all turns out for the best.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1