The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 minute ago, polybear said:

I'm guessing such breeds - and younger ones - are in short supply at rescue centres?

Rarer than hen's teeth I would think. Ben's adoption story as related by @TheQ seemed a bit of a special case to me and involved knowing someone who purposefully sought out someone who knew Border Collies well.

If UK rescue operations are anything like the US, most of the canines are mutts. I don't think it matters as much with cats, but the people I know who rescued dogs often inherited dogs with a lot of problems. It's a lot like Forest Gump's metaphorical box of chocolates: "You never know what you are going to get".

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. RMweb seems to be working properly now, fingers crossed. While I've been waiting for something to happen I've been taking a look at Facebook and some other forums and websites, keeping an eye on the circle going round on the tab so I can go back to RMweb when it stops turning. Now to get back to Farcebook.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. RMweb seems to be working properly now, fingers crossed.

Bear thinks you may have spoken too soon.....the site seems very temperamental again....

• Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

This is the time in our part of the world when I usually check EMs and news:  2:00 PST.  RMW is still slow and intermittent in most of its functions which means switching off and doing other computer work.  There seems to be a real problem between  efforts to fix it or to blame it on the ads.  We are assured the ads are necessary for funding but even if we were all on the gold standard, the delays would no doubt still be there.:unsure:

Brian.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear thinks you may have spoken too soon.....the site seems very temperamental again....

It was intentionally offline for perhaps an hour around 10:00pm GMT (plus or minus).

Top banner, advertising and bottom banner were active presented, along with a big message in large letters: "RMweb is currently unavailable".

Back up now - obviously - at 10:40pm GMT.

EDIT:

Ironically, I did not see this post at the time I saved it. RMweb went offline at 10:45pm GMT before reloading the page.

As I edit this at 11:30pm GMT it is back.

Some serious server issues I imagine.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Evening All,

Its a bit frustrating on here recently but life’s like that but At least I don’t pay so shouldn’t grumble. It’s the only social media I do and if it wasn’t here I’d miss the banter. I know we have differing views but I think we agree to disagree at times and don’t get too hung up about it. I really appreciate the support.

Spent a bit of time in my room servicing  small (very Zmall)  times recently and even contemplating something to display them on. Need to get the irritating thing called work finished with but still stuck without an exit plan.

Anyway Goodnight and thoughts especially with BoD,

Robert

Edited by Erichill16
Spelling
  • Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 4

• RMweb Premium

Struggled to get on RMWeb today, most of the time I’ve just got an error message. 

Goodnight all 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

1 hour ago, brianusa said:

There seems to be a real problem between efforts to fix it ...

Yes.

We are assured the ads are necessary for funding

Yes.

... even if we were all on the gold standard, the delays would no doubt still be there.

Certainly on occasion, even Amazon Web Services occasionally* has outages, but I wonder.

* They are rare.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

12 hours ago, TheQ said:

…SWMBO is talking of getting a young friend for Ben,  off to look at the net again borders are between £500 to £1500.

Rough collies between £2000- £3000.

Ouch 

May I put in a plea for a rescue centre companion for Ben?

It’s true that most of the dogs in rescue centres are mutts, but you’d be surprised how many purebreds end up there.

Mrs iD is a dog trainer and has observed that many (most?) of the “issues” that rescue centre dogs (all dogs, really) can have are down to clueless former owners who have neither the interest or willingness to work with the dog (as someone once observed “95% of the problem with a “problem” dog is at the human end of the leash”). She has a client with a rescue dog (aka “crazy dog”) and the dog owner has worked hard with her pooch and the dog has been totally transformed.

A good rescue centre (e.g. Battersea, RSPCA, Dogs Trust) will be very open about each dog and the dog’s “issues” (health and/or behavioural) and will ensure - to the best of their ability - that each dog gets rehomed appropriately.

As much as both Lucy and Schotty have caused to tear out our hair (and we definitely “learnt on the job” - so to speak) we don’t regret a sngle minute (although it would have been nice to have had a little more experience at the onset).

As Berkeley Breathed - the American cartoonist (Bloom County, Outland, Opus) and dog lover - would put it: we and the wolfpack have a life of “love given and love taken in equal measure

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 13
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Well after watching a late film I decided that 0700 was more sensible than 0630, only to wake at 0500 and unable to get back to sleep again (the brain started...) I gave up at 0550 and called it quits.

Not sure what today will bring as yet - MIUAIGA day I suspect.  There are enough numerous little tasks to occupy myself with to fill the day without having to resort to The Great Lounge Refurb - the next step being to wash then paint the ceiling, which isn't high on my list of fun items to do, especially as it involve several moves of furniture in the process.

• Friendly/supportive 19