The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, BoD said:

Nothing I can do sitting here other than be with her when her time comes.

Been there, done that....

Bear offers his very, very, very special Beary Thoughts to @BoD and family on this occasion :friends: 

• Like 4
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

Bear here......

9 hours ago, grandadbob said:

It never ceases to amaze me what you can learn on here.  Thanks to our star gazing friends I have now discovered that the Japanese name for Pleiades is now Subaru and that's what is depicted on their logo.

Bear can see it now......

"GDB, for One Million Pounds, can you tell me what the Japanese name for Pleides is now?"

edit:  I seem to recall many, many moons ago learning the Sioux Indian name for Rabbit is (IIRC) "Wapoose"; courtesy of Sesame Street.

Not found a use for that little nugget just yet, but I live in hope. 

8 hours ago, AndrewC said:

The remaining partners were shafted a bit and as part of their "payout" had to stay for 24 months after the final transition. That happened this week. 5 of the 6 remaining partners all handed in their notice at once.

She has no idea if her job will remain or not since 90% of her work was doing admin for those partners who have now escaped. The other 10% of her work disappeared when they merged the offices last year.

Perhaps "The Five" will be setting up their own business...and SWMBO gets a job offer?  hopefully with a starting date just after a big fat redundancy payout....

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

An angle grinder made two somewhat dusty lines up the wall....

Bear suspects that might just be the understatement of the week month.  Whilst I can see the attraction I've always chain-drilled the slot then connected the dots with an old wood chisel (which is nottalottagood for woodwork anymore, strangely); this is despite owning two angle grinders - a big and a little.  The big was a gift and has never been used as (a) the little does everything I need, and (b) the big is scary and an accident waiting to happen, which won't be a small one either :scared:

In other news.....

Another day of playing Plasterer's Mate.  'Umpin water supplies from the bathroom to the front garden (the outside tap is disconnected cos' the pipework forms a part of the lounge refurb), disconnecting leccies, moving furniture, cleaning up.  You get the picture....

Tomorrow should see the job done - and a very happy Bear.  Then I'll have to wait for it all to dry out; there's a lot of gallons of water to disappear.

The Plasterer mentioned a lucky disaster he had a while back - he fell down a flight of stairs (from top to bottom) whilst carrying half a bucket of plaster (which in reality is a small trug).  Mess?  Oh yes, and some - it was EVERYWHERE, and the carpet was absolutely trashed.  So why lucky?  Well he was unhurt, and the house owners' reaction was:

"don't worry about it - I'm a carpet fitter and I've got tons of the stuff in the van".  Result.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I note with some awe Puppers’ astronomical photographs, they are superb..

However, (of course there’s a however, CC never rests), far be it for me to impugn Puppers, but I’m wondering how often that nice Miss Granger at Number 47 “accidentally” swims into view when Puppers is - ahem - “calibrating” his telescope on bath nights….

Curious minds want to know….

Puppers was looking at a full moon. Oh wait a minute.:scared::blush::jester:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 14

I am doing more electrical work in the Garage tomorrow after me and Lucas have been to CEF first. We have the ring main to cut into to add the spur and connect it up in an IP rated enclosure. 

Then I think we will be playing with the new label printer and I have to try to get the old blades out of my Bosch electric plane  and get some replacements I think they have already been turned round. It was my Grandads before mine

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BoD said:

Thank you for all the good wishes.

Sadly though she has badly deteriorated.  I am now able to sit with her as the visiting rules change when on an end of life pathway.  Nothing I can do sitting here other than be with her when her time comes.

Very sorry to hear that BoD.      Along with everyone else here, best wishes to you, your mum and the rest of your family at a very difficult time.

Alan

• Agree 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

@BoDMay I add my best supportive wishes for you and your Mum, Warren.

We did end up doing a traipse around the shops waiting for the tyre fitters to do the van but the end price was thirty quid less than the quote - which was also £60 cheaper than the nearby tyre place.  Still not allowed any train gronkits though.

CC, if Puppers uses his astronomical telescope to view the young lady's accoutrements, they will be upside down and thus defying gravity - you need a land lens (there may be a proper name for these, I forget - its been a long time since I had a telescope)  to correct the image for terrestrial use, and returning the fattyclappers to correct orientation.

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I note with some awe Puppers’ astronomical photographs, they are superb..

Thank you Flavio.   I'm happy with "they're pretty reasonable for a newbie", I think the "superb" ones will have to wait a while yet!

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

However, (of course there’s a however, CC never rests), far be it for me to impugn Puppers, but I’m wondering how often that nice Miss Granger at Number 47 “accidentally” swims into view when Puppers is - ahem - “calibrating” his telescope on bath nights….

Curious minds want to know….

I'll have you know Miss Granger moves far too quickly to be caught within the very narrow confines of Puppers' telescopic Field of View!

Note to self:   Must investigate high speed telescope trackers

In Other News:

The production "telescope polar alignment indicator" is coming along nicely.    I've decided on a tricolour LED as the output device.   Basically, if it's blue (= sky) it's too high, if it's green (= grass) it's too low and if it's red it's within one degree of the correct angle (i.e. the equivalent of the telescopes latitude).   I think I might make the red LED flash initially and then when it's within say, half or maybe quarter of a degree it's "Good enough for rockets" as we used to say at work ....

We had a browse round the Ampthill Antiques Emporium this morning for something to do which was reasonably amusing.   Then, after munch, it was a trip to the hospital pharmacy to pick up the prescription for the new BP tablets prescribed when I saw the Cardio Nurse the other day.  I presume they are unusual ones as the pharmacy had to order them especially.        I start those next week and they'll be the usual checks to make sure they are being tolerated by the kidneys etc.       Spookily  enough I received a copy of the letter from the consultant to the GP yesterday for the consultation I had in October!     It is of course out of date now and one wonders if the delay is attributable to the hospital or the Royal Mail?     Or both .......

Alan

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, PupCam said:

I've decided on a tricolour LED as the output device.

Will you be able to regulate the light intensity with some kind of dimmer option? Looking directly at a bright LED might affect your night vision. Mounting it so that you only see indirect light from the LED might be good enough.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Will you be able to regulate the light intensity with some kind of dimmer option? Looking directly at a bright LED might affect your night vision. Mounting it so that you only see indirect light from the LED might be good enough.

This afternoons experimental activities have been to determine the correct current limiting resistors for each of the three LEDs in the package to give a maximum brightness of "not too bright" and then the software dims the green and blue as the correct position is reached and the red takes over.   The gadget will only be used during initial setup (and then switched off) so night vision should be OK particularly as unfortunately there are some sources of light pollution reasonably close by that aren't under my control.     

Here it is in all its complexity .....

1364573953_PolarAlignmentGadget.jpg.dcda45b35dba6bcb922f1d6c35e029a5.jpg

An Arduino Nano linked to a small accelerometer and gyro board (a 6 DoF IMU to those in the know) and that's the real guts of it.   There are 5 connections between the two.     It just needs the 3 current limiting resistors fitting to the relevant Arduino pins and the Tricolour LED wiring up to them and that will be the functional bit done.  That will leave the mechanical housing for containing it and attaching it to the relevant bit of the telescope's equatorial mount.    The USB cable won't be required in use, it will just be connected to the battery used to drive the equatorial mount.     The latitude is hard coded in the software at the moment but it would be the easiest thing in the world to add a little GPS receiver to it so that it could determine the latitude by itself as appropriate.   That can be the "Pro" version.     Amazing things Arduinos ......

I'm going to suggest to  The Management  that we have a holiday down in deepest darkest Wiltshire and I think the telescope should have a holiday too :D.     I recall being totally amazed at the fantastic night sky when I was down there a few years ago.  Simply astounding (and nowhere near as far or as cold as Northumbria :lol:)

Alan

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

12 minutes ago, PupCam said:

... unfortunately there are some sources of light pollution reasonably close by that aren't under my control.

I trust you know of the lightpollutionmap website? (I find it to be remarkably accurate though like other websites I could mention 'free' access is plagued by a lot more advertising than it once was.)

It's amazing how the presence of human habitation creates light pollution. Here of course the bigger problem is cloudy skies, and then finding a publicly accessible spot unobstructed by tall trees is challenging.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

The stars are brilliant tonight here and the streetlights have just gone out so we have truly dark skies.  I have calibrated the telescope  we are given but haven't used it yet. I really must give it a go.  

We did get to the shop called Gateaux  and demolushed some gorgeous cake.  No bears or hippos were seen.

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just had a phone call from my mate. We had arranged to go out tomorrow to visit a couple of emporiums (emporia?) that sell things that must not be mentioned here. It had completely slipped my mind. His lad still has some of his Crimbo money to spend as well so it might as well go on something useful.:locomotive::senile:

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Spookily  enough I received a copy of the letter from the consultant to the GP yesterday for the consultation I had in October!     It is of course out of date now and one wonders if the delay is attributable to the hospital or the Royal Mail?     Or both .......

It certainly seems that those experiencing the fun of the Lister have been receiving appointment letters somewhat late - a friend had an Diabetic Eye Screening a couple of weeks back that were "hard to read" and "inconclusive"; as a result she was called back as a priority for some sort of special test on cleverer equipment.  She received the appointment letter today - for the 14th January (2022) :banghead:  Fortunately she also received a telephone call prior to the appointment so didn't miss it.  Not an isolated incident apparently - others have missed appointments.

In other news.....

Yet more raiding of the cash point this evening :cry:- fortunately the walk home takes me straight past the chippie, so comfort food (aka jumbo sossie and a chip roll) were the order of the day.  Bear still had half a tin of mixed veg (= carrots and peas) in the fridge that required eating - so no beans with the S & CR this time :sad_mini:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

It's now being reported - though unconfirmed - that Meat Loaf had contracted Covid and had been "seriously ill".  There are also reports that he had recently been supporting those who were critical of vaccine mandates in Oz; as to whether or not he was vaccinated isn't known - if he wasn't then what a waste.

• Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening normally I'd recommend parts of Norfolk for lack of light pollution, I'm in a green bit on that map.

But today it's xxxxxx cold. Cars are frozen up and the grass was crunchy by 21:00.

Just back from the MRC, where wall building was going on and a minor pier rebuild.

I got given instructions on moving the layout, the club has a layout going out in Apr and it hasn't been run in 2 years so they need the room. For me it's just a 90 degree turn, others are moving around the building.. I've got a month to move though..

I drilled the 3 holes to mount  the downflow heater on the bathroom wall, that was hard work , there's some very hard grey  plaster? behind the normal pink stuff. The angle grinder didn't seem to notice except that it eat a few blades.

Excuse me and good night I have large whisky awaiting.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

33 minutes ago, polybear said:

Yet more raiding of the cash point this evening …

I took some money from an ATM earlier this week. Counting notes to split it with my wife felt quite weird. I haven’t handled that much cash at one time for months. And it wasn’t a huge sum - pre-covid we would get through that amount every couple of weeks. Now, about the credit card bills … 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Like a few others have mentioned, trying to log on this morning was problematic. After 30 minutes I gave up, as I had things to do and places to go. 

After breakfast I had a walk to the butchers for the weekly meat rations. I then went to the Trafford Centre, it was fairly busy, but I wasn’t there long enough for it to get packed. Tomorrow, Ava is coming to spend the day with us, she is also stopping for tea. So, once back home and the shopping had been packed away, I made a cheesecake for tomorrow nights dessert.

Warren, so sorry to read about your Mum. We went through the same with Sheila’s Mum a few years ago, it’s never easy, but at least you’re able to be with her. 

Goodnight all

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16