The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, chrisf said:

How do

Barry O's surgery is not the only one which has reawakened to the presence of its diabetic patients after a long slumber.  Mine has sent me for several blood tests and summoned me next week for an audience.  I can hardly wait.  Meanwhile I am minded to venture out to St Neots Folk Club tonight to see Arthur Coates, an impressive young musician, who deserves a wider audience.  Sometime during today I need to do the fodder run.  It's all go.

Chris

Have you ever seen Chris Nevard  @Chris Nevardplay live Chris?

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

ISTR that CCleaner has a duplicate file finding feature. It  looks at the contents of files rather than their titles.  I don't know what its overall reputation is.

Very many thanks for this and all the other responses over the last couple of pages - very much appreciated. I was going to quote each of the suggestions but then realised that I would end up with about half a page of quotes so if anyone else is interested in what was said just scroll backwards !

I had thought of asking the question in the "Photography" section but then realised that I would be overwhelmed with technical stuff from real experts and never make any progress.

38 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

The offspring called to say he was let go from work. He'd only been through 8 weeks of training & 6 weeks of actual work but they decided he was "too nice" to his customers. He is now hoping the company he actually works for will find him another customer service assignment but isn't too confident.

Sorry to hear that - I thought the purpose of "Customer Services" was to be nice to customers and to try and give them what they want so that they are retained as customers - otherwise if you get things wrong too many times, your business won't have any customers. In my case, many years ago (40?), when I was riding the Black Horse, the Head Office Inspectors on an audit visit said that my lending to customers had been "Over generous at times and had put the Bank at risk" - but I always had happy customers . . . . 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Went out like a light again last night and again didn't rise until eight. I went to bed slightly earlier as well as my IP pulled the plug for servicing just after midnight so no internet. Time to run a bath, be back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s cold and frosty out there, I’m glad I’m stopping inside today. 

Not a lot else to report, but hopefully I’ll be back later. 

Brian

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Cold and foggy this morning though the fog has now cleared in this part of W. London. I've just played my weekly game of Covid Roulette in Tesco and noticed that they've widened some of their aisles. I also found a number of things on my list missing from the shelves including tissues, tinned anchovies and lemon squeezers so there are obviously still some supply chain issues. According to Tim Spector's weeky Zoe update we've passed the peak of omicron but not in Ealing where the incidence is going up again and we now have a hgher incidence than the surrounding London boroughs. I think a shortish walk today as I've got a pile of editorial work to do. 

• Like 16

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Morning All,

Rather interesting all this discussion about Metformin (discovered in 1922) - it reminds me of my early career when I was involved in developing a treatment for diabetic neuropathy (the drug did work, but the line between effective dose and toxicity [or “frying your liver” - as a colleague put it] was very fine indeed). Back then (early 80s) there wasn’t much alternative to metformin, nowadays (as this review shows: https://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/type-2-diabetes/type-2-diabetes-treatments-newer-medications) there are quite a few alternatives. Their availability? I suppose that it’s all down to NICE.

@jamie92208 bemoans the fact that it is incredibly difficult to get blood out of him (it’s even worse than trying to get money out of him - or so I am told [and that’s bloody hard!]). Perhaps he should swing by Schloss iD. I can get blood out of anybody (and usually without the use of surgical instruments) - so would be happy to help Jamie in his hour of need. I just need to know how much blood (and plasma) I need to draw: 1 mL, 1 dL, 1 L or 1 dagL.

Whilst indulging in this morning’s stream-of-consciousness waffling, I’ve decided to come clean and confess my sins (takes deep breath): I’ve become addicted to woodworking videos on YouTube.

The very best (like JSK koubou - a Japanese woodworker)

are without music and commentary and are inspiring (and soothing) to watch. The worst? Well, you wonder how they manage to keep fingers, if not hands, attached.

The downside of this is that I’ve started eyeing up (and in some cases - buying) inexpensive woodworking gear from Parkside (Lidl), Einhell and the like. So, my question to the assembled ER masses is: Any thoughts/recommendations regarding Parkside, Einhell and other budget gear (Lidl will be offering a portable table saw next Monday and I’m wondering should I/shouldn’t I?).

And on that Joinery note, I bid you an enjoyable Tuesday.

Problem I have found with "cheap" tools is they are cheap for a reason, this doesn't matter for occasional jobs or even "one offs". I bought a circular saw to do one job in a house renovation, it did that job subsequent jobs have been a bonus, but as there are sparks coming from the brushes in the motor(old technology in cheap stuff), means it is close to going in the bin. The opposite was a hand drill I bought 40 years ago, done many jobs and is only just showing signs of need for a replacement. How much work is your equipment going to be doing, if it's a significant amount, then I would pay a bit more, there's some good single phase electric tools out there, not industrial strength, but good for the hobbyist.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AndrewC said:

The offspring called to say he was let go from work. He'd only been through 8 weeks of training & 6 weeks of actual work but they decided he was "too nice" to his customers.

Huh? :dontknow:

3 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Sorry to hear that - I thought the purpose of "Customer Services" was to be nice to customers and to try and give them what they want so that they are retained as customers....

Bear can only think that he's been giving the Customer "too good a deal" - or agreeing that the Customer is actually right and the Company did it/got it wrong - thus costing the Company money when he corrects the failure.  Great for the customer, p1sses off the Boss.

In other news....

Washing done, Bear pit changed, new Hippo Detectors successfully tested :yahoo_mini:

Split chassis?  Er, still on the list....:banghead:

And finally....

I see the poisonous little Troll (of Barnard Castle fame...:wink_mini:) is stirring the sh1t again.  No hard proof, apparently - but he's prepared to swear under oath....:rofl:  Must be true then - mustn't it? 

Edited by polybear
  • Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

I also found a number of things on my list missing from the shelves including tissues, tinned anchovies and lemon squeezers

We have a whole delivery missing today. We normally use Waitrose and they have been great throughout the last couple of years but there are a few things they don’t sell so we put together an Ocado order for today. At 6pm yesterday Aditi got a message stating our delivery had been cancelled as they couldn’t put a charge on our card. No idea why, the  card is fine, no one else has a problem. We have resubmitted it for a delivery tomorrow. The payment procedure said the card was verified too. Not impressed for our first use of their service. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

The man from IT fix it... by the simple expedient of deleting  Office on both computers and then reloading them.

Just in time to.. do Some work have lunch break..

A tomato has just escaped and landed on my white lab coat, good job there's two clean lab coats in the drawer..

• Like 7
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Man back using a very blunt drill in a very small drill is drilling in the walls .. again.. he still hasn't realised these houses were built with very hard (?engineers?) bricks and he needs a proper drill and masonry drill bit - possibly a diamond tipped one woudl eb more suitable... a complete feckwit at large!

Baz

He should try drilling my walls. Normal cavity walls but the inner skin and some of the internal walls are box tiles, even harder than engineers bricks.:wacko::banghead:

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

. I also found a number of things on my list missing from the shelves including tissues, tinned anchovies and lemon squeezers so there are obviously still some supply chain issues. 

I would be horrified to find that tinned anchovies were not available :-)

Chris

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It seems Tony has probably had a worse experience with one Ocado delivery than we have had with them in the entire 13 and a bit years we have been using them - we started when Mrs Lurker was heavily pregnant and not very well with Younger Lurker. The emotions were really playing havoc because I remember her gushing "it's transformed my life" after the second delivery! I don't think we have ever had a delivery cancelled and only one has been so late that it had to be rearranged for later in the day - they'd rung re a problem in the depot. Maybe we have just been lucky.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, chrisf said:

I would be horrified to find that tinned anchovies were not available :-)

Chris

Dishwasher salt seems to be unavailable locally.  Our neighbour asked Aditi to add some to our Ocado order which was mysteriously cancelled yesterday. I have about 100kg of water softener salt pellets in the garage. I suspect that would work in a dishwasher!

• Like 15