The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

He is so quick that I didn’t have a clue what he was doing which is par for the course. 

He was emptying all your Bank Accounts and changing all your passwords.....

:laugh:

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All!

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I reckon that once the coronavirus has a similar lethality as yearly influenza and is pretty much ubiquitous, then life will return to normal. A “new” post-pandemic normal, true; but as “normal” as we’ll ever get…

Not that there was anything like a "Normal" beforehand ......

..... it was just differently bizarre!

In Other News

Lovely day today which bodes well for some astronomy later on to coincide with the full moon.

Just had a friend/former colleague round for coffee and putting the world to rights.    That's such a satisfying activity, if only the world would listen!

I'm told there is a trip out to collect a recently purchased Henry "Hoover"* in the offing this afternoon.

* Yes we all know it's a vacuum cleaner and has never been near a Hoover factory in its short life.

Actually, looking out the window at the bright blue sky, sunshine, hardly a breath of wind it could almost make me wish I had a model aircraft ready to fly.    Mind you, as 4 or 5 years ago I didn't renew my membership of the model flying club I helped found and was, for a good number of years, its Chairman**  I wouldn't have anywhere to fly it anyway!

** Always the Chairman, never a Chair, Chair-Person, Chair-Human or any other PC nomenclature you can think of

Alan

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

What do I do is the quandary ............

I have found an alternative supplier for the same product for £17 it's not that I'm in a rush for the sockets I don't need them for a couple of weeks yet but i want to have them to hand 

My advice would be to relax for a day or two .......

A big problem of the world in which we live is that we can get stuff from far-off places remarkably quickly  very often.    This sets our "normal" (whatever that is!) expectations stupidly high and then when they are dashed we get anxious, depressed, distressed etc etc all for no good reason at all.   I think I mentioned recently that I've never really needed something next day but often wanted it next day.   Fortunately in my case, being "tight" outweighs the "want" so I won't pay, for example, for Amazon Prime.

Try and save any anxiety, anger, whatever else for those situations that warrant it - e.g. when/if they send you a 3 phase mains plug instead of a single phase wall socket 4 weeks late.

Alan

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 6
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Should you feel the urge.....

https://oceangateexpeditions.com/titanic

All you need is a spare £184K.  Turdycurses.

Mind you, that'd buy you 61 rides in a Spitfire, give or take a few quid....

When we were over the Titanic site in 2019 (nice waves, not much else to see) we attended an interesting lecture presented by one of the exploration team. I don’t have any urge to visit any closer. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Mind you, that'd buy you 61 rides in a Spitfire, give or take a few quid....

I know which one I'd go for!      I wonder if my mate John Romain would give me "Mates Rates"?   I might get 65 goes!

• Like 14
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Monday...

Very nice weekend overall, Saturday dinner with Trevor and Meagan trying out a new Korean restaurant take-out was excellent.

Yesterday somewhat quiet, generally getting organized for our vacation.

Today - realized that I won't actually hear from the Long Island client as they get Martin Luther King day as a holiday, oh well clock that up to sit-around-looking-bored :)

Will do some running around for various trip related items later today, and an at-home COVID test as a precaution - no symptoms, but since we're travelling decided we should - just to be safe for everyone involved/we come in contact with, or not, as the test results will show!

-9 and overcast getting the newspaper, forecast high of -1, no precip expected.

Enjoy the day...

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Just 5 minutes sit before I prepare dinner, carrots n swede already done.  Very domesticaked.

Chris mentioned The Commitments yesterday, I thought that was a really funny movie, with of course a glimpse of one of the old IoM ferries on it - Can't remember if it was Lady of Man or Mona's Queen, one of the old side-loaders anyway.  I saw Andrew Strong, the main singer in the film live here in 2003 (ish) he was pretty good, but his own stuff wasn't as good as the Commitments numbers he sang.  Apparently he's a bit of work though....

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
On 16/01/2022 at 15:49, Pacific231G said:

Ever since a friend recommended it I've become addicted to "Death in Paradise". The first three series have just been  reshown on Alibi (one of the UKTV channels) but are only on their catch-up service for a few more days so I've been bingeing on them.

All episodes from series 1 to this new series are on BBC i player so no need to

binge watch .

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

20 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I'm having a mushroom omelette and chips tonight, I have the mushrooms left over from last time. Bunged some jeans in the washing this afternoon, carefully checked the pockets for tissues, didn't find any but the washing machine did so I was picking soggy tissue off of them when hanging them up to dry.

Could be worse, my Wife once left a disposable nappy in the washing there were silica gel crystals on the washing for days.

She only did it the once luckily 

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

had an "interesting" day.. for a variety of reasons.

snip<

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Good job the Army took over co-ordination of vaccine deliveries from the NHS "logistics" team...

Baz

If you ever want a good firework display, ask me about NHS Logistics (Normanton) and the Sellotape.  20 years ago and it still makes me mad!

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

Well that was a day blown on finding and listing Milling Cutters, plus checking yesterday's work on that carried out for Reamers;  I seem to be "ok" for 1/8" Reamers - if only there was a use for them....:wink_mini:

All things split chassis?  Still hasn't happened...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

snip<

If you ever want a good firework display, ask me about NHS Logistics (Normanton) and the Sellotape.  20 years ago and it still makes me mad!

! remember that !

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Could be worse, my Wife once left a disposable nappy in the washing there were silica gel crystals on the washing for days.

She only did it the once luckily 

Ok, but what else from the nappy was on the washing for days.....:bad:

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

11 hours ago, TheQ said:

Did you know there were pigmy Hippo (75cm tall) and pigmy Elephant on Cyprus? The elephant being smaller bigger than a donk(ey).. at 76cm tall..

That's within the last 10,000 years... so modern man met them....

Modern horses in North America were introduced by the Spanish.

More ironically:

While genus Equus, of which the horse is a member, originally evolved in North America, the horse became extinct on the continent approximately 8,000–12,000 years ago.

The cause of this extinction is unknown. Leading hypotheses are climate change or hunting by the Clovis peoples.

There are many ancient Equus fossils in Eastern Oregon.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10