The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

It’s all academic, really. Thanks to an obscure medieval treaty* between the IoM and Baselstadt (plus the aid of a few bent solicitors and dodgy magistrates) it all belongs to Captain Cynical anyway.

* best deal CCI GmbH ever made: buying an entire library of antique legal documents, treaties and pacts….

Bear - plus fellow ERer's I'm sure - would take a VERY dim view indeed of any attempt to cheat our Pal Donk (and friends) out of his rightful inheritance.  Bear advises CC to instruct his solicitors without delay to "let this one go........"

image.png.83d1f345cb5d0cfd92d7c1e1a935b9e7.png

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Has Britain gone barking mad?

Long ago - and it's getting worse by the day....

2 hours ago, chrisf said:

On the same day there was something potentially much more interesting - an investiture at Windsor Castle.  It was conducted not by Her Maj but by the next King but one, the Duke of Cambridge. 

Now whilst I personally think that the DoC is a pretty good kinda Guy (and should make for a pretty good King) I personally would feel somewhat cheated if I didn't receive the Gong** from Her Maj.

** Still being worked on.  Services to Bear Castle refurbishment perhaps, as well as the promotion of LDC......

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Ben is a rescue Collie , He was found in Ireland eating stones 'cos he was so hungry.....

:cry:

A virtual LDC (Party-size) is on it's way to Ben.....

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

@New Haven Neil.. yep!should have said metalforming  but spellchecker bodged it.. must be invented in America...

Baz

Guess what?  It's bodged it again.....:laugh:

In other news:

Another late one.  Disgraceful

Bear plans to decide what to do at the next Model Engineering Session, then MIUAIGA.

Bear's News of the Day:

1. And the flood gates open - thanks a bunch, Bristol Jury :angry:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-59972806

2. Seems like a good start, if somewhat lenient:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/quebec-will-force-unvaccinated-to-pay-at-least-100-in-new-health-tax/ar-AASHqa9?ocid=msedgntp

Edited by polybear
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit frosty this morning but fog free but the sun is coming up as is the temperature. All the talk of dogs this was reported on the breakfast show this morning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/59971332  Just reported in the news the French government have eased travel restrictions between France and the UK which will be good news for @jamie92208.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit frosty this morning but fog free but the sun is coming up as is the temperature. All the talk of dogs this was reported on the breakfast show this morning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/59971332  Just reported in the news the French government have eased travel restrictions between France and the UK which will be good news for @jamie92208.

Thanks Phil. Yes it appears that there has been an announcement  via Twitter that should remove at least some of the restrictions, however we have kearnt from experience to wait a couple of days till the various government  websites have been updated with the real details. It does seem to be moving in the right direction though.

Jamie

• Like 15

Greetings all from a blue skied and frosty Sidcup.

Younger Lurker has been delivered to school. He has a charity fun run 5k in Danson Park this evening after school. The distance will be no problem for him.

Work is slow. We have now undone the sins of our fathers and written off the mystery balance. 

And now I suppose I had better go and some more if it!

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

I think 1/3d was the standard price of school dinners in Oxford at that time

When I started school we took a half-crown in on Monday to pay for the week's lunches.  That's 6d each or 2.5p for a main and sweet plus a plastic beaker of tepid water.  The food was reliably awful but given the budget I guess they did their best.  

Over time it became 5/- not 2/6d  for much the same fare.  By the time decimal currency arrived it was 50p and then £1.  Still good value for a two-course feed at 20p a day.  Later still my school converted to the canteen system with items priced individually but capped at the equivalent of the old daily rate.  

If you were sick on Monday you could pay a pro rata rate when you went back to school.  If you got sick later in the week there was no way to carry credits forward.  

The "custard" was legendary.  It would out-stick superglue.  Sometimes it required a knife to cut or prise it from the bowl.  Curry was revolting and comprised the cheapest minced beef swimming in an unappetising green-tinted liquid spiced with something unidentifiable.  And woefully over-cooked rice.  Some of us chose to go hungry on curry days.  

And then school meals were stopped for all but a few.  Later still even those were stopped with a free packed lunch being provided instead.  We retained a sixth-form canteen offering basic snacks at commercial cost but it was little-used beyond sneaking off for a coffee between classes.  

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Now whilst I personally think that the DoC is a pretty good kinda Guy (and should make for a pretty good King) I personally would feel somewhat cheated if I didn't receive the Gong** from Her Maj.

** Still being worked on.  Services to Bear Castle refurbishment perhaps, as well as the promotion of LDC......

I have a good friend who was awarded, succesively, both an MBE and an OBE but, because she is an Irish citizen, she received the gongs from the relevant minister rather than from Brenda (I think they're technically "honourary")  She told me she didn't feel in any way cheated. She got the awards for real services (to children and parenting), not just for being the wealthy CEO of a large corporation , a party donor, a backbencher who never rocked the boat (a "Sir Bufton Tufton") , or just for being  on the tele. or a "celebrity".  Unfortunately, such honours- and not just in Britain- always seem to end up being decided by politicians who are probably the last people who should decide on such things. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

ISTR school lunch money in the 50s being 4/2d weekly and then increasing to 5/- when I went to grammar school.  At both my primary and grammar the meals were cooked on the premises and on the whole weren't too bad although there were some items at the latter school that were disgusting, in particular hearts.  My Mum used to cook stuffed hearts and they were really tasty but after suffering them at school I refused to eat them again and I still won't. 

Jamie's mention of pre-decimal currency reminded me of one of my first jobs assisting the wages clerk who was an ex Naval CPO.  In those good old £-s-d days everything was done by hand in big old ledgers and he would add a column of figures , running three fingers down the page adding all three columns at once.  Never seen it done since. (and he was never wrong)   The only one to equal that sort of thing was my dear old Dad when he was a bookie and he would settle all bets, no matter how complicated, in his head with no assistance from ready reckoners etc.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I can certainly remember the 2/6 a week for school meals rising to 50p, then I Moved the the Hebridies and School in Inverness, where because we were in School Accommodation, meals were free.. The meals in the Hostel weren't any better.. The best meal of the day was a milk Coffee and a biscuit before bed time....

our custard was of a different variety,, very runny with thick lumps of un mixed in powder.. but managing to have crust on top..

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

A week later I had forgotten about the old £SD stuff! 

I still convert mentally.  While living in Australia I double-converted from AUD$ to £p to £sd for some reason.  It's a sobering thought that what my father used to bring home for a weekly wage would now buy nothing more than a cup of coffee.  

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, TheQ said:

Ben is a rescue Collie , He was found in Ireland eating stones 'cos he was so hungry.,..

That makes me utterly and viscerally “kill the b*****s and their children and their children’s children” misanthropically furious. (OK, I exaggerate…. a bit).

How anyone can do that to a dog - especially one as intelligent and faithful as a Border Collie - escapes me. 

Still, the poor little lad is now safe and loved. Well done @TheQ.

If I was truly as ruthless, merciless and wealthy as my alter-ego, I would put a £500,000 bounty on the head of every puppy farmer and animal abuser I could find - payment upon proof of termination with extreme prejudice (and with an up to a 25% bonus for creatively painful disposal).

Back in the real world: realistically, I’d settle for serious prison time and mammoth fines…

• Like 10
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Just received a phone call, my SiL died this morning. Not entirely unexpected considering her health problems and age (nearly 80). I hope to get down to see my brother on Sunday, I'll sort that out when I call him later.

Sorry to hear that and our thoughts are with you.  

• Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Just received a phone call, my SiL died this morning. Not entirely unexpected considering her health problems and age (nearly 80).

I’m sorry to hear that, Phil. My condolences.

I hope the fact that it didn’t entirely come out of the blue is of some comfort.

• Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

Sympathy and prayers sent for @PhilJ W.

I'm in a bit of a state been to the garden centre for a bag of ericaceaus compost. Whilst walking round my right knee decided that it had had enough and it hurts like hell. We had to get a very kind staff member to take the bag of compost to the car whilst Swmbo helped me hobble back to the car. Then I found I couldn't get in the car due to the pain in my knee on bending it. Eventually it was a case of grin and bear it.

Co codomol and naproxen have been deployed.

When i was at primary school istr school dinners were around £2.50 a week this was 1982/3. When i went to High school you had to buy dinner tickets I think it had gone up to £4-5 a week this was 1988/89 then I went on to packed lunches 

Its now cashless paid via an App which I suppose does away with the getting bullied for your dinner money. Sadly you will get bullied for something else

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

Condolences Phil, thoughts with you and your family at this time.

I don't remember how much school dinners costed, can't remember what they were like at infant/junior school at all, indeed memories of that schooling are very few and none to do with actual learning, one teacher tried to force me to write with my right hand, which lasted about 5 minutes I think. High school I remember the food not the cost, it was ok  to eat, at grammar school I can't really remember much of what they fed us and even less of what they failed to teach, I do remember that nice Mrs Thatcher taking our morning bottle of milk off us and kids chanting Thatcher the milk snatcher.

I recall when I got my first Saturday job and got a pound for the wage, I could buy 4, 45 rpm single records, but a year later the prices rocketed and I could only get 3 for a pound. Sneaking into one of the pubs in the village with 2/6, it got you a pint of Bison brown ale, 5 Park Drive cigarettes and 6 pence change.1964 I think it was.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Suspended from the 25kV overheads at ........ Barking? ;)  

Much too quick.....

Now a certain Bear could easily drag it out for weeks/months/years - depending on what sort of mood I was in.....

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1