The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Having wasted half of Sunday on an attempt to get a prescription filled but thwarted due to the incompetence/money grubbing of the US HEALTH-FOR-PROFIT CARE system

Sorry to read your rants, Ian.  We have just had a CVS take over a local pharmacy but up till now no major changes have occurred.  There is still the same staff which means that most things haven't changed prices have not gone up and now they even deliver!  Perhaps it won't last!:unsure:

Brian.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The British restaurants had the one big advantage in as much as they weren't rationed. In fact no restaurants or canteens were rationed. When it came to canteens large organisation such as the GPO and London Transport had their own catering department, some of the bigger GPO ones even had a licenced bar. I doubt somehow that London Transport canteens had the same facility. I wonder if something similar would be viable today, a restaurant or chain of restaurants serving locally sourced food and in season.

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

restaurant or chain of restaurants serving locally sourced food and in season.

We have eaten in a few places that seem keen to emphasise the local nature of the food. We stayed at a small hotel in the Lake District that seemed to have nearly everything local except the black pudding which came from Stornaway. The last hotel we stayed at in Austria had its own farm.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, polybear said:

This Bear wants to get the Lounge and Hall/Stairs/Landing out of the way before such thoughts can become a reality; if all goes well then 2022 should see them out of the way....

Bear decided that a bonce fur wash to get rid of the dried on claret was in order.  Unfortunately that caused the bonce to start bleeding again.  Turdycurses.

I've just started watching "Cliffhanger" - some nutcase free-climbing at about a million feet up.  Barking :crazy:.  Oops - someone just fell.  Ouch. 

Tomorrow sees some prep for the plasterer turning up - I'm hoping for a start next monday...

You have my sympathy about the bonce. Head wounds do bleed as I found out in my working life and 4 months ago in my current life.  One thing that you won't have unfortunately is home visits to check on the wound from nurse Dominique.  She got the staples out with a lot less pain than their insertion.  Hope it heals OK.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The British restaurants had the one big advantage in as much as they weren't rationed. In fact no restaurants or canteens were rationed. When it came to canteens large organisation such as the GPO and London Transport had their own catering department, some of the bigger GPO ones even had a licenced bar. I doubt somehow that London Transport canteens had the same facility. I wonder if something similar would be viable today, a restaurant or chain of restaurants serving locally sourced food and in season.

According to Laura Dawes in her book "Fighting Fit: the wartime battle for Britain's health" the government's policy was such that works canteens and such were able to compensate for the limitations of the rationing system.  The rations themselves were enough to live on but supposing you worked in a physically demanding job then your extra calorie requirements would be met by off-ration canteen meals.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, Adam88 said:

According to Laura Dawes in her book "Fighting Fit: the wartime battle for Britain's health" the government's policy was such that works canteens and such were able to compensate for the limitations of the rationing system.  The rations themselves were enough to live on but supposing you worked in a physically demanding job then your extra calorie requirements would be met by off-ration canteen meals.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that as a result of the rationing during the war the collective UK population was deemed as being very healthy.

Perhaps rationing should be reintroduced as a means of counteracting the obesity epidemic.

So on that cherie note I will bid you all goodnight, good evening or good morning which ever takes your fancy.

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that as a result of the rationing during the war the collective UK population was deemed as being very healthy.

Perhaps rationing should be reintroduced as a means of counteracting the obesity epidemic.

So on that cherie note I will bid you all goodnight, good evening or good morning which ever takes your fancy.

Providing you survived tobacco then I would agree.  My own parents lived for 82 and 91years of which six years were spent on wartime rations and a few more years on post-war rations.  However they lost a significant number of their contemporaries through diseases which are nowadays associated with smoking.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

Fear of Landing

Did anyone see "Fear of Landing" on Saturday?  It was an absolutely incredible story about a chap who sold his house to buy an aeroplane, effectively a kit-built job someone else had made and was seriously unairworthy.  On a week's flight home he had a number of crash landings, various technical failures and eventually ran out of fuel over Lake Michigan where he ditched/crashed.  He never insured it.  Luckily one bit of kit which worked properly was the emergency transponder and he got scooped up in the nick of time by the coast guard.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning to all and of course sundry.  It's due to get sunny but cold for the week.  

I did manage to make some sortbof sense of paperwork for getting to and from the UK, yesterday, however things may change so nothing was printed.  

The supermarket  awaits this morning then thevdayvis mine as Beth is due to head off to a French class  this afternoon.  I may well go and spend some time in the shed.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

10 hours ago, polybear said:

….now it seems that further such items are to hit £255, and going the wrong side of three hundred notes for other examples won't take much effort either….

Not unexpected (or unreasonable) given the cost nowadays of production in, and shipping from, the PRC.
Believe it or not, China is no longer considered a “low production cost” country. As the average Chinese wages and living conditions have improved immeasurably so have costs of producing. Vietnam and Indonesia now (partly) taking the place once held by S Korea and China (at least that is the case for guitars and I see no reason for this not to hold true in other areas).

Being the cynic that I am, I wonder how long it will be before the circle is completed and production of various things returns to the UK - the UK by then being a low wage, low production cost country….

10 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Sorry to hear of your sister-in-law and brother @PhilJ W.

This covid thing is stupid, it really is!  Just tired of it now.

One shouldn’t blame the virus. The virus is what it is - a force of nature. It’s our (human) response that is to blame for the current mess.

Saving our ire for anti-vaxxers, morons who won’t wear masks/wear them properly and inept/incompetent politicians is more apposite… 

9 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Rounding them up and slaughtering them the same way as domesticated animals would be more humane in a cull. Wild hunting inevitably has a hit or miss approach and an errant shot can cause a deer to take off and suffer, even if quite grievously injured.

I have friends who hunt, some with rifles and some bowhunt. They eat what they kill. …..

I didn’t know whether to tick “agree” or “informative”, Oz.

TBH, I didn’t think of rounding up the animals for humane slaughter - but it makes sense.

I emphasised the last bit of what I quoted as I strongly believe that it is the whole raison d'être of hunting: to eat what you kill. Trophy hunting, on the other hand, is just obscene….

7 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

You have my sympathy about the bonce. Head wounds do bleed as I found out in my working life and 4 months ago in my current life. 

And bleed they do - spectacularly.
At RTAs once you have established that the head wound is superficial (a lot of them are) you concentrate on the seriously injured - leaving bystanders wondering why the screaming person with blood all over his face is being “ignored” by the paramedics in favour of the very quiet person with the small hole in their chest….

(a good rule of thumb is the quieter an individual in a trauma situation, the more serious the injury)

5 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

……Perhaps rationing should be reintroduced as a means of counteracting the obesity epidemic….

A neat idea, but it’d only work if food manufacturers could make loadsa money from rationing and the populace would buy into it/accept it. But “never say never” as they say and CCI GmbH has had the foresight to secure exclusive LDC production and distribution rights in the event of any rationing.

And finally, it seems that even some physicians don’t have a clue about a) immunology, b) virology, c) how vaccines and drugs are developed and tested: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/08/nhs-doctor-challenges-sajid-javid-over-covid-vaccination-rules. Wasn’t the Golden Rule of Medicine primum non nocere? When did that change?

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Very early riser here as I woke up and my mind started racing with lots of things I need to do this week. Pah!

As a lad my next door neighbour ran a cafe in the market in West Hartlepool. It had started as a British Kitchen. Sadly due to falling patronage she had to close it.

I fear that the only way we could get a chain of healthy , local produce, restauracross the UK today would be to get the Americans to do it first..

Nonews other repairs being done to Beast.. I think it may be complete next week..fingers crossed!

@jamie92208 yes reading the travelling information is like sticking needles in your eyes for fun. The UK guidance is a bit clearer than that for some other countries..just!

Time to... drink my tea and flex my memory banks regarding using certain bits of Word not used for yonks!

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Being the cynic that I am, I wonder how long it will be before the circle is completed and production of various things returns to the UK - the UK by then being a low wage, low production cost country….

The UK?  Actually make things?  Bear is pretty sure we wouldn't know how anymore.....

Trophy hunting, on the other hand, is just obscene….

Now televised hunting of Trophy Hunters (who are unarmed, just as they practice) would be a real winner.  Bow hunting will be permitted for this very purpose; slow, agonising kills over an extended period score extra points......

A neat idea, but it’d only work if food manufacturers could make loadsa money from rationing and the populace would buy into it/accept it. But “never say never” as they say and CCI GmbH has had the foresight to secure exclusive LDC production and distribution rights in the event of any rationing.

Feel free, as Bear has already secured exclusive rights to YISGLDC** production rights...

(** That's Yummy Icky Sticky Gooey LDC, by the way......)

In other news.....

It's almost 9am and Bear still isn't washed n' dressed yet.  Do I care?  Nope - I'm retired.....:yahoo:

And finally......

Could be something to do with reports of dear little Novak being filmed out n' about the day after testing positive:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/tennis/novak-djokovic-s-brother-shuts-down-press-conference-as-he-refuses-to-answer-covid-question/ar-AASCUoQ?ocid=msedgntp

And on the radio yesterday Momma Novak was claiming that her little soldier was "Tortured" whilst in custody.....:rofl:

Edited by polybear
  • Like 13
  • Funny 4

20 minutes ago, polybear said:

The UK?  Actually make things?  Bear is pretty sure we wouldn't know how anymore.....

Now televised hunting of Trophy Hunters (who are unarmed, just as they practice) would be a real winner.  Bow hunting will be permitted for this very purpose; slow, agonising kills over an extended period score extra points......

Feel free, as Bear has already secured exclusive rights to YISGLDC** production rights...

(** That's Yummy Icky Sticky Gooey LDC, by the way......)

In other news.....

It's almost 9am and Bear still isn't washed n' dressed yet.  Do I care?  Nope - I'm retired.....:yahoo:

And finally......

Could be something to do with reports of dear little Novak being filmed out n' about the day after testing positive:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/tennis/novak-djokovic-s-brother-shuts-down-press-conference-as-he-refuses-to-answer-covid-question/ar-AASCUoQ?ocid=msedgntp

And on the radio yesterday Momma Novak was claiming that her little soldier was "Tortured" whilst in custody.....:rofl:

We couldn't do that Mr Bear think of the effect it would have on the 'chidren' aka the milenials and generation Z. They wold be traumatized for life.

Wouldn't it be great if the media just ignored them.

• Agree 10