The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Fancy a shot at the (foam) deer?

1169344866_20220109_1256161.jpg.77851ba56af5a947a5e23464a8f6b4bf.jpg

According to Country File this evening perhaps Mrs NHN ought to have a crack at some real ones!

Apparently we are becoming over-run with wild deer and they have no natural predators (running around in the UK).

Wild Venison burger anyone?

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

Have been doing more work in the garage today my new vice is ready to be attatched to the workbench I just need to get some bolts nuts and washers and to clean all the packing grease from it. I'm not sure of the best way to do that I don't know whether to just wipe it off with a rag or to use a degreaser agent. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, PupCam said:

According to Country File this evening perhaps Mrs NHN ought to have a crack at some real ones!

Apparently we are becoming over-run with wild deer and they have no natural predators (running around in the UK).

That reminded me to get the venison steaks out of the freezer. The muntjac hereabouts were calling even before it got dark today.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

With any luck @New Haven Neil The cheater won't turn up again

Oh he'll be back, he's just in a huff.  He was being awkward about times with the guys who give him a a lift usually, so they just left him to it, he's cutting his nose off to spite his face for now.  He'll wander back, he always does.  He'd better sharpen up.....

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
On 08/01/2022 at 04:14, polybear said:

...snip... You're singin' this Bear's song.  Toast & Marmite, or Toast & Lemon Curd.  ...snip...

I read that as another word and had to go back and re-read it! :jester:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

"parallel increases"

Seven day rolling average US case rates are presently almost 3x the previous peak (from precisely a year ago).

Seven day rolling averages of fatalities are slightly more than half as high as a year ago, but continue to be robustly large (almost 1,700 per day) - though not yet presenting much discernable in terms of trending. Another two weeks might be telling.

My observation is that the UK has fairly consistently been a bellwether for the US relative to the pandemic.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

The cheater didn't turn up.

Still sulkin' from the kickin' he got last time......:laugh:

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Bambi's Momma.......:cry:

1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Have been doing more work in the garage today my new vice is ready to be attached to the workbench I just need to get some bolts nuts and washers and to clean all the packing grease from it. I'm not sure of the best way to do that I don't know whether to just wipe it off with a rag or to use a degreaser agent. 

Bear would go for just the rag - a little grease would be good at keeping rust at bay; degreaser would leave it squeaky clean and more prone to rust.

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Anyway, I don't think these are too shabby for a beginner.

Alan

1607764060_2022-01-09Capture_00003.jpg.967a655cf2d292809cb96c2277a07900.jpg

117175231_2022-01-09Capture_00006.jpg.1d3593bcef4ce6b0f335c14def13d5b6.jpg

Pupper's Homework Project is......

Find the base of the Lunar Module; I'll make it easy and specify that any one will do......

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 7

Stunning blue skies today - cloudless with bright sunshine. A big change from last week where La Niña rain and gloom was the order of the day. It is the sort of weather that looks like one should be outside - it is chilly though (6°C). There was a heavy frost this morning with some ice in spots.

It is however the last day of the NFL season with many games determining who will get to play in the postseason. There were some upsets in the early games.

56 minutes ago, polybear said:

Find the base of the Lunar Module ...

They are there, but a much bigger telescope would be required. Even the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (launched 2009) images need interpretation, but they do clearly show trails of footprints and rover tracks.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Stunning blue skies today - cloudless with bright sunshine. A big change from last week where La Niña rain and gloom was the order of the day. It is the sort of weather that looks like one should be outside - it is chilly though (6°C). There was a heavy frost this morning with some ice in spots.

It is however the last day of the NFL season with many games determining who will get to play in the postseason. There were some upsets in the early games.

They are there, but a much bigger telescope would be required. Even the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (launched 2009) images need interpretation, but they do clearly show trails of footprints and rover tracks.

Oh well that's another conspiracy theory busted i will have to go back to covid caused by 5 G masts ;)

• Funny 16

9 hours ago, PupCam said:

7 hours ago, polybear said:

…Bambi's Momma.......:cry:

Predators, disease, starvation: Nature’s family planning.

Unfortunately, with the absence of natural predators, overpopulation in deer has a number of unpleasant aspects: apart from deer invading gardens and other human areas in search of food, there is also the fact that in the absence of predators (or culling by humans) disease and starvation will become rife amongst the deer and (eventually) bring the numbers down.

I would suggest that controlling the deer numbers by hunting/shooting is a much more humane approach than letting them slowly starve or die of disease.

Plus, venison is a healthy, low fat and tasty meat….

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Agree 13

Greetings from a still dark Sidcup. It's dry out there and the first lot of bin men have been, It is nearly time to take Younger Lurker to school. Elder Lurker has tested negative twice in two days so is out of isolation. FiL who also tested positive on New Years Day is still testing positive.

Years ago when I lived iN Northampton I used Tesco regularly and bought venison there. And also Kangaroo and Ostrich. I made a kanagroo bourgignon but I think the meat was not really upto the long slow cooking process. still it tasted good!

Work is still chugging on. Not sure I feel much in the way of motivation at thus stage but no doubt post the school run, it will be back!

Have a good day all

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Looks like foxy needs to return. One rat got away..or thinks it has!

Financial Adviser day. Wooooopppppiiiidddddooo! We have to shuffle some money about so it will be a bit of discussion then.....

On line meeting went OK yesterday. The Team is gelling well.. which bodes well for the future.

Venison is very nice but not everyone's cupatea!Talking of which time to drink my mugatea!

Stay safe!

Baz

Ps I thought that some of our judges are nuts..Oz seems to he some even dafter ones..

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare.

4.5 hours plus 1 hour plus 1.5 hours sleep a good total for me..

Ben the alarm clock Collie was on time this morning, on going out with him he didn't do his business, he found a ball and wanted to play instead.. SWMBO will be woken by Ben later when He decides he needs out again.

No frost this morning as it was heavily overcast with a light breeze..

No flashy lighty things on the way in..

I have in the past seen Venison in the big Tes and Coes, however since then the meat aisles have shrunk tremendously.. It used to be an aisle each for pork, beef,  chicken, lamb. Now it's just two aisles for all fresh meat.. It's not a case of people choosing to go vegetarian, or premade they are just reducing the choice of meat all the time.. Meanwhile the discounted shelf is filling with unsold vegetarian and premade meals..

1 major system this week a day and a little bit , I have a set of 10G resistors to do, that will take another day, plus a set of current shunts which is another half day..

Zeroing finished

Time to do it.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2