The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

13 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

... there is also the tiny matter of how highly chemically processed, water guzzling and environmentally unfriendly such meat, cheese and dairy substitutes are.

A factual statement indeed.

It can also be said that there is the tiny matter of how water guzzling and environmentally unfriendly meat and dairy* production can be (particularly at the industrial levels required to feed billions of people).

* For me, "dairy" encompasses cheese.

It would be interesting to compare the water requirements per mass of food consumed for bovine, porcine, ovine proteins versus their 'substitutes'. They don't compare well with pulses/legumes etc.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Weather - you want to complain about the COLD!!!

-23 (real feel with a breeze blowing -30) getting the newspaper this AM, maybe 18 seconds outside and my hands were very cold time I got back in.

Sunny and clear skies - not that it matters at these temperatures - with a high of -16 expected, then -27 overnight!!!! Not even sure I CARE what the real feel is/will be by then.

Not trying to outdo you, Ian, just reporting. Yesterday I heard the overnight weather forecast for northern BC - with the windchill, minus 50C!

Edit to add - the boiling point of liquid propane is minus 42C. Guess what a lot of municipalities use to power their heavy equipment, snow plows for example?

Edited by pH
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

14 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

... can any ER suggest a suitable “Work Substitute”? Something that would lead Mrs iD to conclude that I am working and can’t be disturbed when I am actually not working at all

11 hours ago, polybear said:

Perhaps a switch to disable the keyboard so that you can be seen and heard to be typing away when actually you're not........

Of course you'll have to make sure Mrs CC can't see the screen.....

Perhaps a 3d printed CC sat in front of the screen would add to the effect.....

Possible unhelpful in this case, but I did see a 'news' puff piece that, as a result of the pandemic-induced explosion in work-from-home that sales of devices/applications to imitate mouse movement have increased, in order to deceive corporate 'activity' monitoring spyware. These can take the form of applications (detectable), or a physical device to wiggle a mouse.

There was the story of an employee who along with a python script, trained the Watson AI application to produce "Sorry I was on mute, can you repeat the question" responses in his own voice when he wasn't paying attention to conference calls.

• Like 2
  • Funny 17

15 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

….It can also be said that there is the tiny matter of how water guzzling and environmentally unfriendly meat and dairy* production can be (particularly at the industrial levels required to feed billions of people).

Indeed, high-output, low animal welfare industrial farming is equally as bad. But at least there’s no pretence about “saving the planet” which is often given as the raison d'être for taking up such a lifestyle.

The Times had an interesting article on the topic:

Veganuary: a warning 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/veganuary-bad-for-your-health-planet-soy-plantations-8n92ccx5t?shareToken=4a71215823518598018b7cbb8c6ef67a         

It’s certainly possible to to have high animal welfare and low environmental impact farming but that would mean eating every single bit of each animal, a smaller range of foodstuffs (no flying-in avocados from S America!) and much higher food prices.

Maybe we should go back to the days of a smaller choice of locally grown vegetables with meat being eaten in smaller quantities (and the cheaper cuts and offal), perhaps as the occasional treat…

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

.......  Finally, finally, it seems to be improving. .........

354246601_charlie3.jpg.8a8053641d1f2a34882af0d8b617debd.jpg

Having Googled, it must be a huge worry for all concerned.  Very glad to hear she seems to be on the mend, long may it continue Neil.

12 hours ago, polybear said:

Excellent!   It's simple mate, obey the rules (which are there for a good very good reason given the global circumstances) or push-off.  After all, whacking a small ball backwards and forwards over a net doesn't actually do much for humanity.    Getting vaccinated just might .....

14 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Finally, on a more serious note - and following on the topic of meat substitutes - can any ER suggest a suitable “Work Substitute”? Something that would lead Mrs iD to conclude that I am working and can’t be disturbed when I am actually not working at all

12 hours ago, polybear said:

Perhaps a switch to disable the keyboard so that you can be seen and heard to be typing away when actually you're not........

Of course you'll have to make sure Mrs CC can't see the screen.....

Perhaps a 3d printed CC sat in front of the screen would add to the effect.....

My Starter for 10 would be to use Windows Sound Recorder to record some feverish keyboard  activity over, say, an hour.   This can be real or fake as only Bletchley Park would be able to decode what was actually being typed and a) The working bit of BP closed years ago and b) They wouldn't be interested anyway.     The recording can then be played back via the PC and it's speakers.   For the de-luxe version, you could also include in the recording a telephone ringing and some verbal but completely unintelligible dialogue (should be easy in your line of work ID!) .   What a shame dot matrix printers and fax machines are obsolete as they could have added to the variety.

As for generating simulated mouse movements to stop corporate activity sniffing.    Well, sounds like a very simple Arduino project driving a couple of servos to me - an hour or so could see a working prototype  (By the way @polybear what ever happened to your Arduino homework?   The dog can't still be eating it (particularly as you haven't got a dog!) .    Once finished with, the said hardware could be re-purposed into a control system for a couple of points for a model railway.

Alan

Edited by PupCam
Quote re-arrangement
  • Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

….my daughter…. has been very ill for quite some time and it scares the hell out of me, ….hypogammagloubiemia. 

I can understand and sympathise, Neil. Having a child with such an immune compromised system during an epidemic must really be frightening for a father.

I suppose it’s a relief for you that there is an mRNA vaccine alternative to the AZ vaccine (AZ is a viral vector vaccine - such vaccines should not be given to patients with Hypogammaglobulinemia).

The Omicron variant may indeed be a harbinger of better days to come (if the S. African experience is repeated world-wide)

iD

p.s. Now, if we can only do something about the anti-vaxxers and others who increase the risk to your daughter and others in similar situations…

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 4

11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The current Zenith and the old company are two separate companies.

To me "Zenith" is a former US manufacturer of television sets.

They had a fabulous 'mid-century' style lobby in their corporate headquarters in the Chicago suburbs - full of display cases of the 'technical' Emmy awards they had won. By contrast, the RCA facility in Indianapolis, was a dump.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 8

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Indeed, high-output, low animal welfare industrial farming is equally as bad. But at least there’s no pretence about “saving the planet” which is often given as the raison d'être for taking up such a lifestyle.

The Times had an interesting article on the topic:

Veganuary: a warning 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/veganuary-bad-for-your-health-planet-soy-plantations-8n92ccx5t?shareToken=4a71215823518598018b7cbb8c6ef67a         

It’s certainly possible to to have high animal welfare and low environmental impact farming but that would mean eating every single bit of each animal, a smaller range of foodstuffs (no flying-in avocados from S America!) and much higher food prices.

Maybe we should go back to the days of a smaller choice of locally grown vegetables with meat being eaten in smaller quantities (and the cheaper cuts and offal), perhaps as the occasional treat…

There is one slight problem, well two really but I'll come back to that later, and that you can't grow crops everywhere. Yes I now you could grow different things to suit the climate of that area but that would require more resources etc.

Which leads neatly into the problem that a lot of the habitats that we occupied are specific to us. For example if you go back say ten thousand years the UK was mainly trees and tundra. The trees were cleared r as the climate changed. This led in turn to more climate change which led to more expansion of the environment by humans.

The simply fact is that if you want to make fundamental changes to the way humans interreact with the environment something has to give. Anyone up for a global pandemic but with a 50 % mortality rate. Thought not. Oh and don't think martians invading, asteroid strike or third world war. Too much collateral damage.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Great to hear from Kelly, and good to hear that Richards eye problems are being dealt with. I was informed that I had cataracts six or seven years ago but fortunately they haven't got any worse in that time. Last eye test the optician done some extra tests for a detached retina, fortunately that was not the case but it was a bit worrying. One thing that annoys me is newspapers and magazines that use a font or print so small that is difficult to read.

• Friendly/supportive 16

28 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

The small difference is, where I am is actually populated :) :) :jester::jester:

Oh, there are people there, Ian. Not many, I grant you, but there are some. One of our sons worked up there for a year or so - he has no burning ambition to return any time soon.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

14 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

... if you go back say ten thousand years the UK was mainly trees and tundra. The trees were cleared r as the climate changed.

I may be misinformed, but I thought a good deal of deforestation in the UK was related to post-medieval ship-building. (Doubtless, there was also much prior, and more gradual, deforestation for farmland from antiquity through the medieval periods.)

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

23 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

There is one slight problem, well two really but I'll come back to that later, and that you can't grow crops everywhere. Yes I now you could grow different things to suit the climate of that area but that would require more resources etc.

Which leads neatly into the problem that a lot of the habitats that we occupied are specific to us. For example if you go back say ten thousand years the UK was mainly trees and tundra. The trees were cleared r as the climate changed. This led in turn to more climate change which led to more expansion of the environment by humans.

The simply fact is that if you want to make fundamental changes to the way humans interreact with the environment something has to give. Anyone up for a global pandemic but with a 50 % mortality rate. Thought not. Oh and don't think martians invading, asteroid strike or third world war. Too much collateral damage.

That sounds like the Theory of Malthus that I studied in A level Geography.

• Like 5

Lots of oak was used for post medieval ship building but deforestation has been going on ever since humanity began farming. Obviously rates have changed throughout time deforestation increased rapidly during the world wars with difficulty of imports.

Lots of fast growing coniferous trees were planted. These are now being replaced with broad leafed deciduous native tree species

Edited by simontaylor484
Further thoughts
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1