The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, dave750t said:

. I have a good idea of what bear baiting looks like without seeing a live performance.

And in reference to an earlier comment I am getting fed up with seeing “snowflake” used in connection with anyone questioning “traditions”. It is an insult and I didn’t think we did that here. 

• Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

An odd day..

I invited Ben out to supervise my work on the boat ...he refused..

So I got the extension cable out, connected up the angle grinder with a https://www.amazon.com/Strip-Stripping-Grinders-Remove-Oxidation/dp/B08TTX8ZQN/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2QX39UEGR021Z&keywords=Cleaning+strip+angle+grinder&qid=1640700788&sprefix=cleaning+strip+angle+grinder%2Caps%2C1134&sr=8-4 fitted.

And the half plate sander with mesh no clog  sanding fitted.

Sat down in the trailer and tried the sander... Instant clogging. No good..

Tried the angle grinder, instant dust everywhere stopped after a couple of seconds..  put full face gear, on became a light blue snowman..

Heavens opened, pouring with rain, luckily I was under the plastic covering the boat.

Now I know why Ben the meteorologist Collie refuse to come out..

With the angle grinder the keel was cleared of paint in under 30 minutes

I reckon with the cover off, I can strip the paint on the whole boat in a couple of hours. Anyway I did what I could  under the cover.. then retreated to the workshop..

After a little tidying, I noticed the piece of stainless ..ah I need to make  some brackets to support some bit of layout.

The piece of stainless had a lip the right width on 3 sides , so I cut that off measured up and it provided 7 pieces, the layout needs six. So they were bent into a omega shapes, holes drilled for rivets . They are now sat with the all the tools to fit them which I'll put into the Landrover at some point.

Then I drew up this on the stainlessimage.png.acdda4e25eb19d72c6ff2b67248a03e3.png

But with the left hand end a half moon rather than square. This was drawn up cut, edges ground smooth and bent to shape in a half hour, Saving £31.44...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

And in reference to an earlier comment I am getting fed up with seeing “snowflake” used in connection with anyone questioning “traditions”. It is an insult and I didn’t think we did that here. 

Oi, I will often refer to snowflakes and traditions.

Like boxing day sailing.. https://www.sfsc.co.uk/

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Just googled Morris dancing cos I don't have a clue what it is and why it apparently has somewhat controversial traditional elements but all in all from the bit I watched it seems pretty contemporary to me.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, monkeysarefun said:

Is it a sign that I'm  getting old when  5 day test matches seem to be over so quickly?

Probably just happening because of the way the game is played now. Anything above 20 overs a side is being destroyed by pandering to TV schedules and wanting a complete match to be fitted into a three hour slot. Tennis has suffered from the same syndrome with tie-breaks, one point deuce and a ten-point game at one set all in doubles. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

20 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Probably just happening because of the way the game is played now. Anything above 20 overs a side is being destroyed by pandering to TV schedules and wanting a complete match to be fitted into a three hour slot. Tennis has suffered from the same syndrome with tie-breaks, one point deuce and a ten-point game at one set all in doubles. 

There is that,

or its because we were  playing England.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Unfortunately, it seems that any sort of rationale debate about history and tradition is now all but impossible thanks to farcebook and twatter which have poisoned the well.

Now we have - on one side: those who see -isms in the slightest thing, no matter how innocently meant or long cherished; and on the other side those who seek to excuse things that have been always been inexcusable (e.g. groping). They make the loudest noise and shape polarised opinion.

There is the school of thoughts that says history should be unvarnished - (which means acknowledging both the negatives and the positives) nor should the actions of the time be judged by the standards of today. (By modern standards the punishment of criminals in Ancient Rome was savage, cruel and pitiless, by the standards of the time - it was nothing unusual and sometimes even enlightened).

And if this makes people uncomfortable, even better. If something in history is now considered unacceptable, then people should work towards preventing that something from happening in the future rather than erasing it from the past (and the converse is equally true - don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater)

Hurling epithets around (“snowflake” “gammon”) helps no-one and poisons debate

• Like 5
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Morris dancing ..... apparently has somewhat controversial traditional elements

I hope my edit of the original quote does not render it out of context.  I see no harm what soever in Morris Dancing.  It is a largely English tradition but as with many other traditions has parallels and possible roots elsewhere.  It has also spawned Morris in other nations where English folk have settled.  

On the other hand Dr. SWMBO is set firmly against any form of dancing with bells and sticks so whilst I have an interest somewhere just below active if I were to take that further it might be at the cost of deeply offending her for reasons she can never adequately convey.  Her assertive "It's just wrong" is as far as it gets.  

I suspect that if I were to join a side she would bite her lip and accept it as just another strange quirk.  She has coped with my other hobbies so far after all ;)  

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

5 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I saw an article yesterday about a Morris team painting their faces green rather than black to avoid upsetting the snowflakes.

I wish these people would realise that history is there and should be learned from, not edited to appease the sensitivities of the reader.

Blackface Morris predated the music hall minstrel acts by about 400 years and has a context related to our culture so should be celebrated for what it is.

(Rant mode off - coffee time)

There is still debate as to the origins of blackface amongst Morris groups, whilst for some it is definitely an origin of disguise later on there is evidence of Moroccan mimickry and minstrel inspiration which does tarnish the tradition.  By adapting the disguise to other face colours means modern Morris groups are just redefining the tradition to meet with modern interpretations of what is acceptable.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

There are other forms?

I wasn't quite old enough to understand when dancing was first described to me as "a vertical expression of horizontal intent" :jester:

Morris comes in many forms; some use swords or clay pipes instead of or in addition to sticks.  But nearly all use bell-pads and hankies.  You might be expelled from a night club if you tried using swords or even hankies these days!  But then it's also questionable as to whether much of the "vertical expression" in a night club is really dancing at all.  Though it usually ended up fulfilling the horizontal intent back in the days when I frequented such establishments ;)  

Other forms of dance are available.  I have - and I shudder to think now how I ever reached such a moment in life never mind whether it was remotely passable - even polka'd on stage before an audience :O 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

or its because we were  playing England.

In my opinion, (other opinions are available), the ECB has totally lost the plot as far as long forms of the game are concerned. Match winning attitudes are only developed by playing matches.

I have seen plenty of youngsters on the tennis court who can play every shot in the book when hitting with each other but are totally incapable of putting them together in the right order in a match situation.

In England cricket we need to get back to playing the County Championship as the main competition, not just a few games at the start and finish of the season. Part of the idea of making it a four-day game was to help players with their technique in preparation for Test Matches. That is a total waste of time when you then give players a Central Contract and then don't let them play for their counties between Tests.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

There is still debate as to the origins of blackface amongst Morris groups, whilst for some it is definitely an origin of disguise later on there is evidence of Moroccan mimickry and minstrel inspiration which does tarnish the tradition.  By adapting the disguise to other face colours means modern Morris groups are just redefining the tradition to meet with modern interpretations of what is acceptable.

In similar vein the now-discontinued Padstow " Dark1e Day" celebration involved fishermen blacking their faces and hands and almost certainly derived from the occasional arrival in that harbour of darker-skinned folk from far-flung shores.  

Edited by Gwiwer
Profanity filter
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

As  part of my research I did sit through a tiny  bit of this - Morris dancers socially distancing by doing it in  cars.

In my opinion it would have been heaps  better if they'd used actual Morris cars.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 12

4 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

In my opinion, (other opinions are available), the ECB has totally lost the plot as far as long forms of the game are concerned. Match winning attitudes are only developed by playing matches.

I have seen plenty of youngsters on the tennis court who can play every shot in the book when hitting with each other but are totally incapable of putting them together in the right order in a match situation.

In England cricket we need to get back to playing the County Championship as the main competition, not just a few games at the start and finish of the season. Part of the idea of making it a four-day game was to help players with their technique in preparation for Test Matches. That is a total waste of time when you then give players a Central Contract and then don't let them play for their counties between Tests.

Or too much focus on razzmatazz one day extravanzas over the slower pace four day game.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

…I have - and I shudder to think now how I ever reached such a moment in life never mind whether it was remotely passable - even polka'd on stage before an audience :O 

To quote Colonel Kurz from Apocalypse Now “the horror, the horror….

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Other forms of dance are available.  I have - and I shudder to think now how I ever reached such a moment in life never mind whether it was remotely passable - even polka'd on stage before an audience

Over 50 years ago when some of these debates were starting to raise their heads a few of the girls in a club I belonged to suggested that for our End of Year Revue the lads should do a dance on stage to open the show much like the Tiller Girls at the Palladium. Six of us took up the challenge, dressed in Drag and did the Can-Can. It went down great with the audience but I will safely say it was physically one of the hardest thing I have ever done, and that includes such antics as backpacking the Pennine Way or cycling 1000 miles in 20 days on a camping trip.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 14
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

…In England cricket we need to get back to playing the County Championship as the main competition, …Part of the idea …was to help players with their technique in preparation for Test Matches….

Do you think that there should be a PlayStation VR Cricket Game? They’ve got it for golf, tennis and F1?
It couldn’t hurt (and might even up the game)

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I had meant, rather specifically, other forms (than morris) of dancing with bells and sticks.

There are various hitting each other with sticks dances in Germany and Austria too. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Afternoon all

Been messing with electrics most of the day and looks like I have more to do tomorrow but its a plug socket that needs changing

I once saw a Morris dancer fall out of the back seat of a Suzuki Vitara now that was funny when he landed jangling bells he was red faced that bit I could see through tears of laughter 

I will take the bells and sticks of Morris dancing and raise you with these guys they are amazing

• Like 7