The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

This is technically the Pacific Ocean, this afternoon:

5A955D3C-4C9F-40AB-9BB1-F392435CEACC.jpeg.bbbf8bfaabbfeb5b14ccfc3040764da9.jpeg

It’s at the very end of Burrard Inlet - Vancouver is at the seaward end. There are many creeks flow into the inlet, so the water is much less salty here. It is tidal, and the ice was cracking as the tide fell and it was less supported.

Edited by pH
  • Like 18
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, inner Temple Hare,

Woke with chest pains,. Thinking oh XXXX!!!!, Was just thinking of waking SWMBO, Then I let out a burp... Only the second time I've had chest pains caused by trapped wind...

Not surprisingly I'm wide awake now after 6 hours solid sleep.

Just watched a piece on UK TV about  the unusual amount of snow received in the western states and Japan. According to our weather forecast we're about to get unusually high temperatures for the time of year. I have a feeling we'll pay for that in a few weeks..

Today's forecast rain and 40mph winds. Ben's long walk will not be pleasant.

SWMBO's out at her weaving group today, so I had hoped  I'd be out trying the new paint removal sanding materials, outside on the boat, with Ben supervising.. But I may be confined to the workshop, so I'd better clear the Floor of metal bits and sawdust before Ben goes in there with me...

The workshop needs a good sort out , with the parts for the boat trailer now removed there's empty packaging to bin and odd unused bits to find a home for. 

To get toasties, I use toastie bags in a pop-up toaster.. not quite as good as a proper grill. We did have a toastie maker where you clamp the toastie in between two hot plates, but that fell apart.. not that it matters now, since I stopped eating bread nearly a year ago...

I think it's time to try for more sleep.. 

Time to put this gadget down.

• Friendly/supportive 17

Morning All,

Interesting posts about salamanders and ovens. Having had the pleasure of working in a professional kitchen that had separate oven and a salamander, that’s certainly the combination I aspire to (a club I belong to does its own catering and the premises we rent has a proper professional kitchen).

When we refurbished the kitchen at home (about a decade ago) we were persuaded to get an “all singing, all dancing” multi-function oven. Problem is, it doesn’t do anything particularly well: it has hot and cold spots, its “clever” multi-layer door has to be dismantled to clean it (and re-assembly is something that would be best done with the door removed) about the only thing it does adequately is the grill function and even then it’s waist high (i.e. inconveniently placed) and turns off anytime you open the door to check how the food is doing. To add insult to injury, a little research showed me that I can get a professional-kitchen salamander grill and separate pro oven for less than what I paid for this “domestic wonder”. Something to explore fully before the planned refurbishment of the kitchen in 2022.

Finally caught up with my Christmas Viewing. Rather poor this year, I thought. As always, the repeats of Paddington and Paddington 2 were a delight (I wonder if Paddington 3 is in the planning?), Death in Paradise was also enjoyable as usual but the Tennant version of Around The World in 80 Days was incredibly disappointing (actually, it was bloody awful). Can’t modern TV producers actually retell a classic story without having to “re-imagine” or “make relevant” the tale by chucking in things that never happened in the original? And let’s face it, Jules Verne, Jane Austen and the like will continue to be remembered for their work long after these semi-talented TV hacks have long been forgotten. Whatever next? Sending in Spitfires to provide air cover to Wellington at the Battle of Waterloo?  I think it says much about the parlous state of current TV when by far the best programmes over the Christmas period were two children’s films, an escapist Caribbean “who-dunnit” and a decades-old comedy-thriller-who-dunnit series (Jonathan Creek).

May have to “work” work today :angry: if the clients have gotten their act together….

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, pH said:

E231EA5E-7158-499B-8322-2FCE832225C6.jpeg.67b3e100bdc79671fbf47ccfe6c8cea9.jpeg

It’s at the very end of Burrard Inlet - Vancouver is at the seaward end. There are many creeks flow into the inlet, so the water is much less salty here. It is tidal, and the ice was cracking as the tide fell and it was less supported.

Would that be up near where The Old Canary restaurant  used to be.  A fabulous place to eat.

Anyway we are still over 100 miles from Ikea despite a hoolie ofca gale with rain last night.  It's still a bit windy but not raining.  A good meal was had with two friends last night, this included homegrown  sprouts, homemade  horseradish sauce and homegrown  apples in a apple crumble.  

The shopping awaits and then I might have the afternoon  to myself before we are off to some friends for a meal.  It's a hard life.

I used to hate schol milk in the 1/3rd pint bottles, leftin the playground so either full of ice un winter or gone off in the summer.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Granddaughter Abbie went to Leeds yesterday, train from Kings Cross was on time but her planned train to Huddersfield was cancelled due to staff shortages but she managed to get another one.

And bits of leeds Station are being remodelled so no trains to Bradford.. trains to elsewhere either delayed or cancelled. . 

Frabjoy!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

50 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

Very wet and windy here and it is forecast to stay that way for a while.

Decided that I didn't want to walk in the rain yesterday so had a lazy day and although we ate and drank the quantities were reduced quite a lot.  Watched some recorded rugby but rather annoyingly missed the fact that Quins were playing yesterday so will have to make do with the highlights programme later today.

Steve is popping in later so will probably have a beer here with him at lunchtime.  The Boss has suggested it's about time I visited the building at the end of the garden and "do something."  She may have a point.

Have a good one,

Bob.

If you look on the Premier rugby site you can watch the whole match on your computer, where I get to watch the games  for free.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s still raining and has been for most of the night, so no outside tasks will be undertaken today. Not much else happening here.

Glad to read that Chrisf had a good break. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 19

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Would that be up near where The Old Canary restaurant  used to be.  A fabulous place to eat.

The late and very much lamented Cannery restaurant was on the south shore of Vancouver harbour, between First and Second Narrows - 2205 Commissioner Street from old review sites. That picture was taken about 20km further east, right at the very end of Burrard Inlet. Search “Port Moody Recreation Complex” on Google Maps - we were on the Shoreline Trail on the shore there.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

12 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I had a bottle of alcohol free San Miguel with xmas dinner 

What's it like? If you say it's OK I'll give it a shot.

I remember Billy Connelly advertising "Calibre" alcohol free lager, I thought if it's good enough for him I'll try it, to use a local phrase he would recognise it was shite....mince. bloody awful, I shall have a word with him if he ever comes over here again lol.

I used to drink Calibre in the 1980s usually while unwinding in the club after directing South Today before driving home. It was indeed awful and tasted like it was made- as it may well have been- with a chemistry set rather than in a brewery.

I started drinking modern alcohol free beers a couple of years ago to help lose weight (it worked!) and they are generally pretty good. My current favourite is Peroni and it does taste like Peroni but I also drink quite a lot of St. Miguel and Becks Bleu which also taste like their alcoholic equivalents. When I want an ale - usually with Fish and Chips on a Friday-  I usually go for St. Peter Without. 

This reminds me that I need to put a couple of bottles of Peroni in the fridge.

Unfortunately, given how much I like red wine, the alcohol free versions of that just don't taste like wine . I suspect that it's a lot harder to hide the loss of 12% of alcohol in wine than the 4% in beer but low rather than no alcohol beers such as those from The Small Beer Company also work pretty well (When you read that Victorians were drinking gallons of beer every day and so avoiding cholera it was usually small beer rather than modern high alcohol beers they were consuming) . 

When it comes to wine I wouldn't recommend following this health advice from the 1920s .

236075856_jamaisplusdunlitredevinparjour.jpg.1276649ba28f253fa203ddba9f11888d.jpg

Quart means a quarter litre not two pints but even so it seems that lobbying by the food and drink industry is nothing new. 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Granddaughter Abbie went to Leeds yesterday, train from Kings Cross was on time but her planned train to Huddersfield was cancelled due to staff shortages but she managed to get another one.

What on earth would possess anyone to want to go to Uddersfield at this time of year. I lived there for a year and worked there for a while.

31 minutes ago, pH said:

The late and very much lamented Cannery restaurant was on the south shore of Vancouver harbour, between First and Second Narrows - 2205 Commissioner Street from old review sites. That picture was taken about 20km further east, right at the very end of Burrard Inlet. Search “Port Moody Recreation Complex” on Google Maps - we were on the Shoreline Trail on the shore there.

I never realised that it went so far inland.

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

14 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

That’s why Port Moody was selected as the original western terminus of the CPR. With the course of the line having been surveyed along the north side of the Fraser River, coming from the east,  the east end of Burrard Inlet was the nearest salt water. Supplies for the building of the line east from the west coast came by ship through Port Moody.

The Fraser River itself wasn’t a dependable route for ocean-going ships, being fresh water. It could freeze in winter and, even if it didn’t actually freeze in the lower reaches, there could be (and still sometimes is) ice carried down from further upstream.

Edited by pH
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

What on earth would possess anyone to want to go to Uddersfield at this time of year. I lived there for a year and worked there for a while.

About three  years ago Abbie went on holiday by herself to Greece and whilst there struck up a friendship with a young lass her age from Huddersfield.  They spent the holiday together and have remained firm friends ever since and visit each other whenever possible and Covid restrictions have allowed. 

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I wish these people would realise that history is there and should be learned from, not edited to appease the sensitivities of the reader.

I wish some people would consider that "these people" might be sick to the back teeth of being presented with learning opportunities by, among others, p*ssed up middle aged men in fancy dress - "we love this village. Came for the scenery, stayed for the casual racism". There's plenty of opportunity to delve deeper into the history if you so desire without getting a demonstration outside the pub on a blank holiday afternoon. I have a good idea of what bear baiting looks like without seeing a live performance.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, pH said:

E231EA5E-7158-499B-8322-2FCE832225C6.jpeg.67b3e100bdc79671fbf47ccfe6c8cea9.jpeg

52 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

I collect old maps and marine charts. In my collection I have a chart of the area down as far as Puget Sound. I'll have to dig it out.

• Like 12