The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Not so sure about the alternative sound track :no: but the loss of such gems as Chigley/Camberwick Green/Mary, Mungo and Midge/The Pogles/Barnaby the Bear etc. etc. marked the "Beginning Of The End" in this Bear's book; I'm sure that increases in crime, drugs, ASBO's etc. etc. can all be traced back to that loss :angry:

9 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Well, if Waitrose fail to provide on Christmas Eve and FedEx lose the turkey between Danbury and here tomorrow we still won’t be going shopping. I wouldn’t be surprised to get an invitation to a fourth Covid vaccine soon either. 

The aforementioned friend of Bear who has been invited to a fourth jab (as she had treatment for The Big C earlier this year) spoke to the local GP Surgery - who were most confused and had to investigate further....

Well it now seems that the fourth jab isn't a second Booster but a 3rd "Primary" jab; it's unclear if the mix is different/stronger/more of etc. but she's still waiting....

9 hours ago, PupCam said:

Milton Keynes - it's better than  Basingstoke.....

Isn't almost everywhere .......:lol:

Except Stevenage.....

Hey @polybear remember those!

.................. me neither.

Bear's most impressive "normal" pay rise (not linked to promotion etc.) was back in 1992; I'd heard stories from the other lads that their pay rises had been atrocious - so I was expecting the same as I'd been off sick (with a busted spine - don't do it, it hurts....) for around a year.  However, I was on the "job based" rather than "career based" grading structure (don't ask - I haven't a clue either) and that scheme pay rise had been negotiated a year or so earlier by the Union, and was directly linked to the rate of inflation - which was the best part of 6% in '92....:yahoo:

As the HoD gave me the letter (on the day I returned to work) he explained why it was much higher than the rest of the Dept. and mumbled that "...I'd have little to complain about.....", to which I responded with ".....and I thought it was because you appreciated me more when I wasn't here....."

And he had a total sense of humour failure (mind you, he had very little to start with anyway)

An item of almost (but not quite) as much use as a chocolate fire guard in many establishments in my and I expect the Bear's experience.

The dreaded Amex Card....

Bear spent ten nights in West Wales carrying one of those.  And how many establishments accepted it on the west side of the Bridge?  Two - the Hotel (begrudgingly IIRC) and Costa Coffee sorry, Costa Packet.

Dumping them was the best thing they ever did.  Shame it took so long.

Strangely, I do have my own Amex - a British Airways version, cos' I get Air Miles with it. I find that I can now use it in most places for routine shopping etc. as well as with many on-line purchases.

1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

I've been to Basingstoke several times ........I quite enjoyed the experience! :lol:

Hang in there GDB - help is on it's way.....

1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Major domestic deep cleaning tasks all completed but I have been advised that it will be necessary to give the place another dusting and Sharking tomorrow morning before our first guest (son Steve) arrives.  NIcki, Darren & kids won't be arriving until Saturday morning.

Bear predicts that on Boxing Day GDB will survey the damage and think "Now why did I bother? :banghead:"......followed by SWMBO saying "GDB - can you just give the place a quick....."

In other news:

I wonder just how much money is wasted on this obsession with being called a "City"?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59758549

Right, Bear had better get his furry ar5e in gear....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

It was then that I noticed that my computer was still on charge. I normally switch it off (

I did when in phone support mode often ask “Are you sure it is turned on?” For some reason it seemed to annoy people but often it was the reason some peripheral or computer was dead. Always worth asking. Out BT Homehub has very obvious led lights on it. 

• Like 18

Morning all

This morning's LFT was once again negative- I'll do them daily till Boxing Day- so fingers crossed for Christmas but, according to Zoe, infections are still shooting up in the Borough of Ealing . All shopping has been done and the fridge is groaning but nothing that can't be frozen if any of my family test positive.

After seeing a bit of our local star yesterday we're back to another dull day of heavy cloud and it looks like from tomorrow we'll be getting some rain almost every day for the next fortnight. I sometimes wonder how astronomy ever got going in Britain. 

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

Leave it Aaht!

I thought the public service purpose of Eastenders was to cheer us all up with the knowledge that, however rotten our own lives might get, those of the residents of Albert Square are so much worse. Within the BBC it was often referred to as "The Glums".

I thought it was to dissuade everyone to move to the Eastend???:jester:

Baz

• Funny 18

5 hours ago, AyJay said:

Morning! Just gone half past five. The missers is getting ready to go turkey hunting in Sainsbury’s and I’m pondering what revolting film / rowdy record to play while she’s out?  It’s only one day, you would think that everyone was stocking up for a siege or the end of the world!!! 

A lot of the supermarkets are shutting Boxing Day too as a thank you to staff for their efforts during the pandemic 

But your right with the siege mentality I always wonder how much goes in the bin

• Like 11
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. No internet problem now, what caught me out was the TV which is also on the Wi-Fi was working, only two red lights were showing on the box. I realised afterwards that the TV is also connected by cable and the red light was an indicator of that.

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I did when in phone support mode often ask “Are you sure it is turned on?” For some reason it seemed to annoy people but often it was the reason some peripheral or computer was dead. Always worth asking. Out BT Homehub has very obvious led lights on it. 

The (amber) light on my home hub was out but the TV still working confused me.

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

But your right with the siege mentality I always wonder how much goes in the bin

In Castle Bear?  Diddly Squat.  I can't even remember chucking away "good" food - certainly not this year.  

As for cr@p like Albert Square - I'd be interested in crime rate statistics since the program first started......

In other news....

Bear's fun revolved around removing the curtain rail and wooden batten from the lounge wall, then removing the paint surrounding where the wooden batten was - as the decorators 30 years ago didn't understand what masking tape is for....

Fortunately this time the paint stripper worked pretty well; cris-crossing the paint with a stanley knife makes the PS work much better - though it's not a technique you could use on a surface that needed to remain unmarked.

NNN from next door called with a chrimbo card and a box of posh mince pies :yahoo:

I'm now waiting for a visit from Nurse Covid, for yet another routine test.  After that I think a flying visit to the Co-op is in order - I only want milk and nanas; both could wait until tomorrow but I suspect that the hoards will be in there panic buying, so I'd rather steer clear of that silliness.

• Like 16

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I find that unresponsive or misbehaving "tech" usually responds to turning it off, waiting a few seconds and then turning it back on again at which point all is usually well but I'm b#ggerEd if I know why. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Brian D said:

I find that unresponsive or misbehaving "tech" usually responds to turning it off, waiting a few seconds and then turning it back on again at which point all is usually well but I'm b#ggerEd if I know why. 

Or tap it with a suitably sized "tapping mallet"  - 

Baz

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Or tap it with a suitably sized "tapping mallet"  - 

Baz

:good:

A spike maul?

4123-17.png

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information.
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Brian D said:

It can be quite difficult knowing quite why something happened. Being able to replicate the fault is usually the start to a solution. Because things go wrong, really important systems have a lot of redundancy built in, for instance something is monitored by 4 separate systems and go or no go depends on agreement between them. But that is for moon shots not home computers or other home tech. 
Turning it off and on reboots a system to start conditions. If a fault doesn’t survive a reboot and doesn’t reappear most people are happy. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 5
  • Agree 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1