The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

It is cloudy with drizzle here. Some neighbours are loading their vehicle to go on holiday. I moved my car onto another neighbours drive so it is out of the way for the scaffolders to work. The dishwasher technician is in his way according to a tracking app the company sent. 
We have had breakfast. 
Tony

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The dishwasher technician is scheduled to arrive between 7.30 and 8.30am. No idea when the scaffolders are due to arrive to remove their stuff but shouldn’t create any problem. We aren’t going anywhere anyway.

Are you all solar powerified now?

4 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I don't usually mention things like this, but Monday is my 75th birthday.

If the weather cooperates we will visit a train shop.

HappBirthda

BR6010:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

And on that crispy, crunchy, deep-fried note I bid you a great Monday.

On the subject of deep fat fryers, Bear noticed a Chrimbo collection box on the counter of the local chippie on Saturday - wishing "All Our Customers A Happy Christmas".  Well it seemed only fitting to leave them a Chrimbo Tip after providing Bear with his scoff on numerous occasions throughout the year.  So I donated a slip of paper with the words "Try dropping your f. prices" neatly scribbled on it.  Seemed only fair.

Today sees wall prep work.  Oh joy.

Plus I'd better get chrimbo cards scribbled and posted - I hate doing that, and am somewhat late in doing it this year.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Happy Birthday to @BR60103.  Another ER “youngster” :biggrin_mini2:

I feel a twinge of sympathy for those who were born so close to Christmas. It seems that few are the families that hold a separate mid-December birthday bash AND a separate Christmas festivity (not to mention only one set of presents per year :( :cray_mini2:

Of course, like the Monarch, you could always have both a “real” birthday (December) and an “official” birthday …..

• Like 3
  • Agree 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I don't usually mention things like this, but Monday is my 75th birthday.

If the weather cooperates we will visit a train shop.

After my birthday is over, we can start thinking about Christmas. 

A very Happy Birthday to you.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Well my parcel is out for delivery but that means any time up to eight this evening. Shouldn't complain as it only left Hong Kong on Friday. With air fryers I have found you get better results by cooking low and slow, lower temperature and longer, high temperatures tend to dry things out. Still undecided as to whether to have the venison steaks or the wild salmon for Christmas dinner. They both come in packs of two, if I do the venison I can dice the second steak, a quick dip in the pan to seal it and into the slow cooker with the other vegetables to make a casserole for Boxing day, sounds like a plan.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, from a rock with 5c's that feel like 2.  Look like less....

A Happy Birthday to David, enjoy your day.

We have that heavy overcast still, might go 'up high' again to see if the mountain is above the clouds again.  It was odd yesterday, as there were three layers in the temperature inversion, it was clear up to about 300 feet, 7c, then the heavy cloud/fog, 3c, then sunny above 11c.  The high roads were rammed with folk taking photos.

Baldwin valley - west.

1086261039_20211219_1604071.jpg.656e7c60faabb6b3958baec63853a754.jpg

Laxey valley - east

2035786853_20211219_1610051.jpg.53ec31bd42d26050fc23f8b3b3171fff.jpg

Towards south barrule - south!

2069219217_20211219_1604221.jpg.30a4380b7578d1dfe32ec9dd41e9ffe9.jpg

A prime example of an inversion. When there is a high pressure system this time of year the pressure pushes down on any moisture and we get low cloud and fog but at altitude it is clear, and quite often warmer. Earlier this week it was reported that the temperature on top of a 900 metre (3,000 feet) Scottish mountain was 8C. but in the valley below it was zero.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Morning, happy birthday to the flying scotsman (see what I did there), it's still so dark we have the lights on, it's dry and calm at least but cold, no real plans for the day, no trains running past us this morning an incident at Montrose station it seems. Take care all and enjoy the day as best you can.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another dull start to the day, but unlike yesterday thankfully, we don’t have any fog! 

Today will be pretty much the same same as yesterday, in that I will be told to keep out of the way until I’m told it’s time for dinner. So some more time will be spent in the cellar, so, once I’ve finished the 2 chimney stacks, I’m hoping to get the 2 roof panels started. 

David (BR60103). Happy 75th birthday. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

Morning all and Happy Birthday David.

As a child, did you you get that con of "We'll buy you one specially good present for both Christmas and your birthday"- meaning one slightly better present instead of two.  I've had several friends with December birthdays who used to complain about that. Their immediate families were mostly quite diligent about celebrating their birthday properly but aunts and uncles tended not to be. I know several people who follow the European tradition of celebrating their "name day". For David that's commonly 29th December from King David which doesn't really help but, if you don't mind eating leeks,  you could choose St. David's day 1st March or possibly 25th June (St. David of Sweden) or any one of a few others.

It's another dull grey day in W. London and I and my family are all trying to keep locked down until Christmas. I missed a Christmas lunch (which I'd paid for) yesterday but, right now, with Omicron so rife in London, any large social gathering seems like playing Russian roulette with two chambers loaded.  We do have plans B & C and I can see Christmas ending up as a Zoom based celebration yet again.

Just to add to the gloom my best friend is back in hospital in Oxfordshire and both my main and backup PCs have decided to go bad at once. One probably just needs a new PSU fan (so probably a new PSU) but on the other the HDD is starting to fail. It's very very slow to boot up and will suddenly stop and post an HDD not found message on reboot. It will though generally start from a cold boot. Data seems OK on it so i suspect it's the drive motor- not that it makes much difference. Unfortunately, my usual repairer is unobtainable today. Both are fairly old W10 machines  so I think I'll be looking for a new one in the January sales. Fortunately my laptop is working fine (touch wood!) .  

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15