The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Thats the problem with living close to the depot. Your delivery will either be on the way out or on return to the depot.

Correct. First on equals last off. 

wombats

What can you do with a wombat and a womble?

Play wom. 

Woolly hat on. Thick coat got. Gloves applied. And ——-> gone :jester:

• Like 3
  • Funny 14

29 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Absolutely. Same around the House of Fun where wearing anything at all remains at about 60-70%, wearing it correctly at around 30-40% and the “Invincible Generation” continue to flout the requirements openly and - if challenged - disrespectfully. 

London Underground has issued a few fines but as before everywhere else is expected to be self-enforcing. There are no resources to police this thing. 

“Reasons” given for non-compliance include:- 

“I’m a Muslim - I’m exempt”

”No-one told me”

”I’m on a phone call”

”No speak English”

”Look at my skin bro …. “ (followed by an obscenely racist comment and a suggestion of what the speaker might do to the enforcing officer’s mother’s rear-passage)

How are we to drive this ruddivirus out of town when these attitudes are embedded and effectively go unchallenged?  

Issue tasers to those wearing masks to zap those who don't?

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 11

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

….How are we to drive this ruddivirus out of town when these attitudes are embedded and effectively go unchallenged?  

I think we are going to be in for an interesting couple of months.

In one of today’s newspapers there was a report citing the WHO who stated that, so far, no deaths have been reported with the omicron variant of the coronavirus. Now if this continues to be true and the observations by the South African doctors borne out (that it primarily targets the young and results in symptomatology that is not as severe as with the other coronavirus variants) we may see a complete change in attitude amongst people under 40 (the ones that seem most resistant to either masking up and/or getting vaccinated).

Let’s face it, and I know I am being incredibly cynical (and perhaps a little unfair here) there are too many people who believe that because they are young they will not be affected by a disease that has a very low mortality rate in the younger age groups - and who cares about granny anyway. But if there is a variant that primarily targets younger age groups and leave them not sick enough to go to hospital but too sick to do things like go out clubbing, dancing, partying et cetera et cetera, I would be most surprised if there wouldn’t be a change in attitude.

There is also another aspect to the omicron variant: if it IS indeed more highly infectious than the other variants but relatively benign (and this, of course, has to be established by solid scientific data), then would it be ethical or unethical to encourage the spread of the omicron variant throughout the world’s populations and let it supplant the (possibly?) less infectious but more deadly Alpha, Beta and Delta variants?

As I said, it will be an interesting few months.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

As I said, it will be an interesting few months.

Oh to be an epidemiologist in a time of pandemic!

I'm reminded of Charles Barry's comment on hearing that the Houses of Parliament were on fire: "What a chance for an architect".

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. I knew I'd forgotten something yesterday when I went to Tess Coes, the milk. I have enough, just, for this mornings muggatee but I'll need some more milk. Actually when I was in Tess Coes quite a few were wearing masks, about 80% but one or two staff were not wearing masks so I assume they were exempt. I don't no why they don't issue vaccination passports like they have in Scotland. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

How are we to drive this ruddivirus out of town when these attitudes are embedded and effectively go unchallenged?  

Bear favours Death Squads, but I'm guessin' our MP's are a bit too woolly for that idea.....

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

But if there is a variant that primarily targets younger age groups and leave them not sick enough to go to hospital but too sick to do things like go out clubbing, dancing, partying et cetera et cetera, I would be most surprised if there wouldn’t be a change in attitude.

The word is that this latest variant targets younger age groups and makes their w1llys drop off :laugh:.  Spread that about on farcebook (= "it must be true......") and they'll soon have a re-think.....

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, polybear said:

The word is that this latest variant targets younger age groups and makes their w1llys drop off :laugh:.  Spread that about on farcebook (= "it must be true......") and they'll soon have a re-think.....

But .. but that would mean they don't have any brains....

• Agree 2
  • Funny 16

23 minutes ago, polybear said:

Smoking kills but doesn’t stop some young uns .

They just carry on regardless, thinking, expecting someone else to sort their problems out at some later time. 
Sick of selfish people looking after number 1.

Bit of a rant?

Anyway going to the big match. May be I can take some of my frustration out there.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I think there may be some unjustified criticism of young people. Yes, of course there are those who ignore guidance about Covid but one of the main reasons they are more susceptible now is because they are at the tail end of the vaccination programme. My two nieces got Covid at primary school. Young people after the first lockdowns were sent back to school, round here that meant over a thousand students in confined spaces. 
It didn’t seem to be gangs of the young marching at anti mask and vaccine events. A recent video objecting to masks on the underground was led by someone very much older than I am. 
All I can say from my recent(admittedly few) trips out is that non compliance seems to be represented fairly equally by age and gender. 

• Agree 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Lots of rain this morning, gradually faded away to brilliant sunshine by 12:00, meanwhile the wind has increased from nothing to quite strong, while the temperature has dropped. Tis very chilly out there now.

I was not supervised by Ben the I hate loud noises Collie, he stepped outside the house back door and there was a fusilade of gunfire. He turned and ran back in the house. They were shooting in the field surrounding the house walking away and down to the marshes..

Several hours working on the mobile shelf, major problems with the floor not being level in three directions in an ancient caravan. This was eventually solved by putting a packing piece at the hinge end,  varying from 12mm to 16mm in a 3/4 circle for the wheel that depend to run on. That's fitted, but needs to be prettied up.

Two  1 metre piano hinges screwed between the fixed and moving bookshelves provide the strong hinge point.

SWMBO turned up with a welcome muggacoffee at that point, much discussion of the decoration of that and other shelving units, as they are all a bunch of ill matched leftovers. 

That moved on to discussions on the boat shed,  the wall / fence from there to either side of the gateway. A comparatively easy to implement solution has been worked out, that should be acceptably decorative without standing out like a sore thumb.

Excuse me Awl,

Time I made up the fire for the evening before the temperature drops even more..

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, TheQ said:

temperature drops even more..

It is 7C here but the weather app states feels like 1C. Feels even colder to me. I only popped out for a moment just to look at the scaffolding on the house. I am glad it isn’t me that will be working on it in a week or so. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Time I made up the fire for the evening

Does Ben stretch out near the fire? Robbie always used to occupy the rug next to the lounge fire.  However it was only a flame effect, it didn’t produce any heat.. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

If Ben is cold he lies on the sofa next to me, if he's hot he lies at the bottom of the stairs..

He doesn't like the stove, it makes noises when it's windy...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Hello again from Estuary-Land. I knew I'd forgotten something yesterday when I went to Tess Coes, the milk. I have enough, just, for this mornings muggatee but I'll need some more milk. Actually when I was in Tess Coes quite a few were wearing masks, about 80% but one or two staff were not wearing masks so I assume they were exempt. I don't no why they don't issue vaccination passports like they have in Scotland. 

In theory a passport system sounds good, however the news from the ground isn't so promising, it would seem there are more glitches in the Scottish system than people trying to use the system. As I don't have a smart phone connected to the internet, I am not on the system, which means I cannot go in crowded places, which is exactly the idea as far as I am concerned, an app won't protect or even help anyone seemingly.

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

As I don't have a smart phone connected to the internet, I

In England you can print out a paper version of your Covid status, though this does require  access to an internet enabled pc and printer. Are paper passes not permitted in Scotland?  I am not planning to go anywhere either! My car handover for MoT and service next week will happen outdoors I think as it did last year. 

Edited by Tony_S
Car not “cat”
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Humph.  That's us back from the shopping trip to the Big City at 4pm.  4pm!  To be fair it did involve going to Foxdale to meet friends for lunch at the MSPCA tearooms, but then it was BACK to the Big City for more M&S-ing.  Double Pah.

Mask wearing (not made anything more than a suggestion here currently except on public transport where it is compulsory) about 80% in shops, 20% on the street.  As it is so windy maybe that's OK.  The buses looked at about 95%.  Dr friend reports little more than man-flu like illness in those identified with Omicron so far.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

34 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

In England you can print out a paper version of your Covid status, though this does require  access to an internet enabled pc and printer. Are paper passes not permitted in Scotland?  I am not planning to go anywhere either! My car handover for MoT and service next week will happen outdoors I think as it did last year. 

Not sure about paper versions, I know friends and family south of us got details of the jabs they got, bar codes etc, we got absolutely nothing, we have no evidence of vaccination at all.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 6

8 hours ago, polybear said:

From the planet "We won't be effin' told what to do"......

Don't forget the beans......:biggrin_mini2:

In other news......

Bear has located the ideal location to spend Chrimbo:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/gallery/inside-mince-pie-factory-making-22353850

Who'd have ever thought that Barnsley would be the centre of the Universe?

......and Bear has scribbled his "I'd like one one these please Santa" notes and posted it off:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/music/2022-bsa-gold-star-650-revealed-ahead-of-motorcycle-live-debut/ar-AARreya?ocid=msedgntp

And finally......

What not to try on the way to the shops:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10270883/Truck-drags-car-sideways-Chicago-highway-desperate-driver-waves-frantically-help.html?ci=S3vPo7XhpH&cri=wvvJSv1-GL&si=11786209&xi=83e9409b-0e88-4f53-9198-a5fd8ca6a112&ai=10270883

Right, where's the pipe wrench - Bear has another day of plumbing ahead...... 

Quite right poly Barnsley is the centre of the known Universe.

We used to have 2 tipper trailers in that bakery to take cake waste away it went to Sugarich in Liverpool and became animal feed.

• Informative/Useful 10

Saturday, yay!

Nothing exciting yesterday, took Whitney for a walk in her favorite local park/gardens, end of day!

Today will be slow but the afternoon will see us working on our murder mystery for our next Zoom tomorrow with our partners in crime detecting :)

Re: COVID "papers", "passports" and "apps"
One issue here is that there are a TON of false/forged paper versions around, which adds to the annoyance of all those of us who WANT to either be vaccinated or at least KNOW they're in the presence of those that are. If you're going to pay a moderately high amount for a bogus card why not just either;

1) GET THE !@$!#%$!@#%$!#@%!@#%!#@% vaccine or

2) BE HONEST AND SAY YOU HAVEN'T! :(

I have the app that the state are providing - it's used by several states - and gets the data from state records. Quite cool actually as it shows ALL the vaccinations I've had and where/when. I appreciate some folks don't want the technology approach, but it sure is better than the fraudulent potential.

-2 first thing, overcast, +1 the high forecast.

Onward...

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A successful trip to Tess Coes this afternoon. Nothing much else to get other than the milk but they had the reduced to clear (none food) stuff out. On there I snaffled  a pack of Kodak photographic paper (for printers) at half price. I managed to recover one sheet of ply from the skip, sadly most of it was in the bottom of the skip and out of reach. It was full of staples on one side and end but they all came out easily and now I have a sheet of 3mm plywood, ideal for a backscene. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 5