The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

91 is a great age, Dom. I only hope that he managed to live a fulfilling life!

That he did, I dare say. Though he was hampered by a war injury which had affected his walking ever since, he did tend to his farm till well into his 60s, which I believe was an occupation he loved.

Can't believe what I've just seen. Picked up the car and stopped for a coffee before driving back. There was an appetising display of hot food, so picked up a Cheese and Onion roll. :O...

That's it! You're never driving my car................................and I love Cheese and Onion rolls too.

Best, Pete.

Gordon, or this:

Scene 1

Audi V10 R8 pulls up outside Coffee Shop:

Girl 1: "Look at that car!"

Girl 2: "Dontcha think bald men look so virile?"

Girl 1 "Ooh, yeah.............didn't I see his photo in a recent HELLO!?"

Scene 2:

Gordon leaves Coffee Shop with armful of stale Cheese and Onion rolls and promptly stalls Audi V10 blah, blah.

Girl 1: "No wonder the old git can afford that car......'ere it wasn't HELLO! it was my kid brother's copy of "Model Rail......"

Girl 2: "He'll probably be having them old rolls for breakfast tomorrer too"

Best, Pete.

Thanks Dd. I love the allotment. As always there's so much to see. I didn't like the brick stair wall. it looks out of place against rhe stone building.

Where were you suggesting that Gordon offer a roll to the Range Rover lady? :wub: Hay immediately springs to mind.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all. Really cloudy this morning but by the time we got near the top of a mountain(driving) it was time for the factor 50 sunblock. Austrian minutes are optimistic the 20 minute walk to the alpine flower garden took us an hour. Got held up on the descent from the carpark to the valley by a Porsche, I don't think it could cope with the bendy road! The road is used for bike mountain races and was a series of hairpin bends.

Dominick, I hope your Grandfather is comfortable.

Tony

Evening All,

Probably less to do with the Porsche, and more to do with the driver Tony!

Lots of talk about cars this evening - I'm driving the Mini at the moment, and coincidentally I chased an extremely attractive Blond to work this morning, she wasn't driving a Range Rover though and happens to be my Girlfriend!

The Zafira has gone - soon to be replaced by a Toyota. I have traded it in and it is currently sitting in my garage awaiting the final drive to the Toyota dealer. I've given her a clean and hoover out, but I am avoiding driving it, in case something major craps out before I am finally rid. Unfortunately, I have lost trust in the car.

The Toyota may be boring, but I am hoping for some reliability. To be honest, I am sick of Opel!

Got to say, I'm gutted. The R8 turned out to be the worst sporting car I have driven. A low speed ride that will shake out your fillings and every bump or hollow shook the car with a resounding thump. And before anyone says anything, this wasn't off road, just going through Reading to visit family. A rotten gearbox that made it impossible to drive smoothly and a little secret they don't tell you about. Stop at lights for more than a few seconds and it automatically changes into neutral if you don't have your foot on the brake. Of course the lights change and foot down, lots of noise but you go nowhere. Red face all round. It took three sets of lights before I realised this, causing havoc in the process....

I can see the funny side of it now, but felt a complete pillock at the time...

Thanks God I can't afford one. I'd be suicidal....

Strangely enough, I parked next to an R8 this morning at work.

I've no idea who owns it - but he must be earning more than I do! I was going to take a picture of my little Mini next to the R8, but by the time I left the office it had departed...

I knew there was a good reason I hadn't bought one, Gordon.

Thanks, Don.

I agree about the wall but, in fact, it's never going to be seen as it faces the back of the layout and the whole fascade is hidden - just me titivating it up a bit.

Morning All,

It is a fairly reasonable morning here in Hessen. There was a lovely sunrise as I drove to work - which is a double edged sword. On the one hand, I love this time of year when I get to see so many sunrises, but on the other hand it is a sign that the mornings and evenings are drawing in again. Still, it's a wonderful world that we live in.

Have a good day everyone...

Good morning all.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your Audi Gordon. I don't know that I have seen one. There is a very popular Italian restaurant in the building and at lunch time the car park often contains many exotic sports cars, some of which I do not recognise. I googled it but the pictures didn't help. What's next?

Last Summery day for a while. 27C today (remember it's still mid winter) but rain returns tomorrow..

Dd, I had another look at your N scale platform. My critisicsm was unjustified.because I only saw the wall and passed over the detail of the waiting passengers and platform furniture, so another "Well done".

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

It looks like it going to be fine today after the rain cleared late yesterday. Sorry to hear this driving experience wasn't as pleasurable as the last Gordon. Perhaps your next should be a Rolls complete with chauffeur's cap just in case you are needed on the big day.

Some nice modelling there DD (as per usual).

I'm afraid I don't have much to show Don. I have mostly been tidying up the track laying and completing the wiring. Members of the knitters and weavers guild may find photos of interest but I doubt others would.

I have decided that I must be the world's slowest modeller with the attention span of a small gnat, to boot.

re: Audi. Bloody good idea that you rented the thing! My experience with Audi's is not good at all - the concept is great but let down in practice. Howzabout blowing an average of two fuses per week?

People buy them cos they think the lights look cool = poor saps, get in the car at 2:00am on a wet night and find out you have no headlights...............

Never Again (as they say)!!

Best, Pete.

Morning all!

Am I the only one still not getting email alerts and without a profile pic? Hmmm....

Gordon, bad luck with the R8, but plenty others to try out. If the Rolls isn't suitable, I'm sure the bride would love to arrive at the church as a passenger in a Pagani Zonda... :sungum:

Looks fine here today too, after getting soaked yesterday. Enjoyed the Neil Gaiman talk yesterday and wasn't the last in the queue for signing this time! I'm now the proud owner of a copy of Good Omens signed by both of the authors.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all!

Another fresh morning but I haven't seen the forecast so I don't know what it is meant to be like.

I have to admit, since I bought the August Model Rail I haven't stopped thinking about how nice it would be to have a large layout with either an S&D theme or my local ex-line (Castleman's Corkscrew as it is known). I keep planning for a large double track loop with a branch line going off it. I mean don't get me wrong - I don't have the space, but maybe when I rebuild my shed in the future...

I think it's about time I did some more modelling actually - I haven't had the motivation to do any for a few days. Not sure whether to work on Calshot or the challenge entry though.

In other news I have finally started marking out my piece of furniture onto ply. I'll finish that off today and cut it out later with any luck.

Also, it's judgement day tomorrow for many people my age - results day! I'm very apprehensive as you can well imagine...

• RMweb Gold

I can well imagine, Jam. I hope you get the grades you want. It doesn't seem five minutes since you were celebrating the end of your GCSEs.

Thanks BoD.

Tell me about it! Scary where the years go isn't it.

I think my friends are thinking about doing a celebration/commiseration party tomorrow evening!

Well the very best of luck with your results Jam. I'm sure you'll do great!

Although I can mess around with wood, I never really attempted much in the way of furniture, so I am really impressed with your pieces. Mind you keep your fingers out of the way.

Got up early this morning to give the R8 another go. The suspension was still rock hard but it was fun to stick it in sports setting and give it a good blast around some quiet country lanes. If you live in one of the country pads in the Maidenhead/Twyford area please accept my apologies. A V10 at 9,500 rpm is not the quietest of vehicles..... :no:

Right that's out of my system, so back to the train set....