The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Those of good memory may recall half a lifetime ago I ordered a new bike, I got the call today that it is on it's way finally, for delivery to NHN Pits at the end of next week.  I had almost forgotten about it....of course now it is too cold to really enjoy riding it. #sigh#

Oh good.....I feel a Team ER visit to strip it and see how it works....:biggrin_mini2:

In other news....

Not sure what tomorrow will bring yet - I want to add a few more sockets in the lounge, so that means some chasing out of walls for metal back-boxes and cable conduit will be called for.  Oh deep joy.  As to whether or not my enthusiasm (Huh? :O) will extend to starting this tomorrow remains to be seen....

And finally....

I've just heard that a friend of a friend went into a carpet shop today as she wants some Lino for her (not that big) bathroom - a hundred quid's worth.  And what are they charging to fit it?  Seven hundred quid...:angry:

Yes, she's paying it too.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, polybear said:

I've just heard that a friend of a friend went into a carpet shop today as she wants some Lino for her (not that big) bathroom - a hundred quid's worth.  And what are they charging to fit it?  Seven hundred quid...:angry:

Me thinks she's been taken for a ride!

• Agree 15

12 minutes ago, BoD said:

I had my flu jab the other day.

Not due my booster for another week.

As I was having flu jab Nurse Jabber said I was eligible for a pneumonia jab too.  
Why not I said. I’ve got a spare arm.
The next one will be due in ten years time she said.

Hope I’m still around for it I said.

We had that pneumonia jab too, a bit after the horse had bolted as we had already had it the year before, must admit I had never heard of it before and you are the first other person that I have heard of that has had it too.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

We had that pneumonia jab too, a bit after the horse had bolted as we had already had it the year before, must admit I had never heard of it before and you are the first other person that I have heard of that has had it too.

There's also a jab available for Shingles - which can be very, very unfunny if you catch it (take a search on Google for what it can cause - and the effects can be lasting/permanent IIRC)

• Agree 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

52 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Ive never heard of her either ...... I assume she's other peoples  Margaret Fulton?

But I don't know if Mary Berry has been on a stamp?

Mary Berry gained fame outside Britain as a judge in the reality format, Great British Bake Off / Great British Baking Show* cooking competition show. I would have thought it would have made its way to Oz.

* In the US.

Margaret Fulton was well-known (at least in Australia) long before Mary Berry.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, laurenceb said:

RMW is trying my patience tonight.

The new pop-up advertisement with greyed out background is irksome. At least it does go away on being closed, even though it does not render the cursor properly when you navigate to the close button.

EDIT:

And unless I wait for the video pop-up and close it before I click on a thread, I find myself transported somewhere unintended. This is a new wrinkle.

All well behaved and predictable - if you wait for and close each pop-up in turn.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

26 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Mary Berry gained fame outside Britain as a judge in the reality format, Great British Bake Off / Great British Baking Show* cooking competition show. I would have thought it would have made its way to Oz.

Did they do Lamingtons or bbq's? Then if not it might have been on one of the digital channels at 3 in the morning after Turtleman or American Preppers and stuff like that.

Should do a UK vs Oz comp where they overcook stuff and call it The Ashes. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Funny 17

Just now, monkeysarefun said:

Did they do Lamingtons or bbq's?

No bbq's - all baking - breads, biscuits, cakes, pastries etc.

There's a better than even chance that at least one contestant did some Lamingtons along the way. I only saw a handful of early seasons which were shown here (years after first airing) on PBS.

Later seasons are on a streaming service here. Perhaps there's an ER fan of the show who can definitively answer the Lamington question.

They did do Pavlova.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis and Si Attica are trying to make their presence felt so I have the necessary pills and ointments ready for use just before I go to bed.

1 hour ago, BoD said:

I had my flu jab the other day.

Not due my booster for another week.

As I was having flu jab Nurse Jabber said I was eligible for a pneumonia jab too.  
Why not I said. I’ve got a spare arm.
The next one will be due in ten years time she said.

Hope I’m still around for it I said.

I was told that the pneumonia jab was a one off. 

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

I had the jab along with the shingles jab, which I took as a precaution as I had chicken pox when I was a young'un.

34 minutes ago, polybear said:

There's also a jab available for Shingles - which can be very, very unfunny if you catch it (take a search on Google for what it can cause - and the effects can be lasting/permanent IIRC)

Indeed, that is why I accepted the jab.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

And in what seems to be  becoming my regular Sunday nature spot - I've never seen one of these here before.

It was climbing a tree in my backyard last week and was so quick the only bit I got to photo was his tail and bum.

Its a Lace Monitor - a kind of Goanna, they can grow to 2 metres, this one was about 1.3metres but still big enough when you arent expecting it.

The local  birds were going psycho, screaming at it and dive bombing without effect until 2 white cockatoos arrived from absolutely no where, zeroed in and screeched the place down at it at which point I lost it, I guess it either fell out the tree or climbed back down and is now somewhere in my backyard, I'll  have to keep some chicken mince out for it.

The weird thing was the way those cockies seemed to know it was there and arrived specifically to get it - its like the other birds had called in close air support or something. 

Between blue tongues, brown snakes and now this all in a couple of weeks Ive never seen so much reptile stuff, its like nature is calling out the big guns to deal with the mice.

image.png.7a5289b2ce1a24bf50a7aca6814201d0.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 16
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Its a Lace Monitor ... this one was about 1.3metres

Nice!

We had a resident bearded dragon in the back yard for a while. Not a very big one (around a metre). There were bigger ones at school that silly students would harass by picking them up by the tail.

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1