The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well the rain has finally stopped falling from the sky the wind has stopped blowing and there are the occasional patches of blue skies to be seen. Yes folks, the weather has changed and for a change, it’s for the better! 

Today I have a box of goodies from Widnes due to arrive sometime between 9:15 and 1:15, what do you bet it’s nearer 1:15 than 9:15? So once again I am required for door answering duties, but as the package is for me, I don’t mind, it’s another excuse to sit and work in the cellar. 

Sheila is at the hairdressers today, but she could only get an afternoon appointment, so we will be having an early dinner to accommodate that. 

That pretty much much sums up what today has in store for us, it’s all very exciting isn’t it? 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 19

Morning, dull, wet and cold weather for us today, glad we went for our walk to the lighthouse yesterday as it doesn't look very inviting out there just now, the fire is lit and porridge is on the go, as part of a diet I now miss breakfast in the morning and have brunch instead, a dollop of the wifes' cousins own honey completes the dish, take care all.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, polybear said:

---accompanied by.......a frozen garlic baguette from the Co-op...:O

I do recall thinking that a certain Captain would go into meltdown at the mere thought of such a delicacy.  In my defence there were three in a pack and they were in the clearance cabinet, so 55p seemed a bargain to this Bear....

Hmm.

I see the bear is a connoisseur of "Fortified Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Water, Butter (Milk) (8%), Vegetable Oils (Palm, Rapeseed), Chopped Garlic (2%), Salt, Chopped Parsley, Yeast, Concentrated Lemon Juice, Emulsifier (Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids - Vegetable), Flour Treatment Agent (Ascorbic Acid), Flavouring, Wheat Starch, Colour (Carotenes)"*

Whereas a homemade garlic bread would just contain yeast, water, salt & flour (the Baguette) as well as garlic, butter and parsley (the garlic butter). And once you've made a batch they freeze nicely.

I still remain unconvinced by "convenience" foods.....

iD

* incidentally, this information was NOT available from the Co-Op on-line shop (https://shop.coop.co.uk/product/6ae852f2-3241-4558-b7a7-1f06698e1fd5), but rather from a department store: https://www.roys.co.uk/co-op-garlic-baguettes-310gm I wonder why the ingredient reticence on behalf of the Co-Op

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

The staff at the vaccination centre have also told me I am eligible for covid booster I have to ring 119 at some point.

From the texts and letters I get I still seem to be on the qualifying by being vulnerable list rather than age.  Previously Aditi did as well due to diabetes and asthma.I think whether or not you get communications now depends on why you are vulnerable. People who are immumosuppressed due to a health condition or having an organ transplant still seem to be communicated with. There is an instruction online that if you think you should be seen and haven’t been contacted to ring 119. I got a text from the GP with a link to the local Covid vaccine booking system. I could have gone nearly 2 weeks ago but needed to postpone until after tomorrows hospital appointment. Aditi will be six months past her last Covid vaccination at the end of this week.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

hereas a homemade garlic bread would just contain yeast, water, salt & flour (the Baguette)

Flour in the UK will be fortified and contain the ingredients included in the bracketed text after flour. Fortification of flour started in the 1940s and various things have been added since. Of the other ingredients I suppose the palm oil is rather suspect but for an environmental rather than culinary reason. 

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

@PupCam I tried to send you a PM, but got a notification that you aren’t receiving messages. Have you been put on the “naughty step” and banned from talking to the rest of the class?

In other news, I got through to the Thomann customer helpdesk who were singularly unhelpful, but did confirm the package (the Harley Benton CST-24 T) has been dispatched. But now I am at the mercy of DPD updating their damn tracking software so I have some vague idea of where the parcel is in transit.

What’s the point of having a bloody tracking number if you actually can’t track anything. (but I suppose it looks good in the glossy promotional brochures…)

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

Greetings all from LBG where the sky is bluer and the air a little warmer than it was in Sidcup earlier.

The talk of climate change at the moment and on here over the last few days reminded me of a picture on Mike Morant's excellent site. It is one of a J Class 0--6-4T on a suburban train towards Victoria or London Bridge, taken from HC Casserley's garden in the Bromley area and it is dated, I think, 25 October 1932. Leaving aside the interest of a J class on that kind of work when I had understood them to have been pushed out of London by that stage, what really struck me was that the caption points out that there was a heavy shroud of frost. And indeed it is very visible in the foreground of the shot. I can't recall the last time that there was any frost in October in SE London, never mind a heavy shroud. Even allowing for an increasing heat island effect in the major metropolises, that is quite a sobering thought. In fact, we barely had a frost at all last winter in SE London. I don't know whether the 30s were a cool decade; I suspect the opposite because 1930s cricket pitches in England were regarded as featherbeds on which the batsmen (as they were called then) made hay. I think it was 1932 when Bradman's Aussies made over 600 in a day at Chelmsford for example.

And on to other things; a while back there was talk of old signage, largely BR (S) and I mentioned that  "LBSCR " was painted on one of the underbridges on the approaches to London  Bridge. I checked Bermondsey Street half an hour ago. No sign of what I had seen before but I did see this instead:

IMG_0194.jpg

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

And on to other things; a while back there was talk of old signage, largely BR (S) and I mentioned that  "LBSCR " was painted on one of the underbridges on the approaches to London  Bridge. I checked Bermondsey Street half an hour ago. No sign of what I had seen before but I did see this instead:

With a vertical structural crack.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Flour in the UK will be fortified and contain the ingredients included in the bracketed text after flour. Fortification of flour started in the 1940s and various things have been added since. Of the other ingredients I suppose the palm oil is rather suspect but for an environmental rather than culinary reason. 

Buy Doves Farm Wholemeal 100% Fine Plain Flour - Organic - 1kg (goodclub.co.uk)

These folk sell flour with one ingredient it seems................................wheat.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just spent the afternoon finishing reading the novel (The Night Gate by Peter May). Pretty good but spoilt in my mind by a couple of incorrect historic details. (Jeeps being used by the British army before Dunkirk?) But a good read nevertheless. It switches from wartime France to present day France with two intertwined stories. I found Richard Osmans book quite good as well, the heroines/heroes are all in their 70's, something many ER's can relate to.

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

In other news, I got through to the Thomann customer helpdesk who were singularly unhelpful, but did confirm the package (the Harley Benton CST-24 T) has been dispatched. But now I am at the mercy of DPD updating their damn tracking software so I have some vague idea of where the parcel is in transit.

Not had any problems with most couriers except one, that was UPS. After waiting in all day for a delivery that didn't come I tried to contact them and then discovered there was no contact e-mail or phone number. With some difficulty I managed to locate the local delivery centre, A brand new facility on Thames Gateway. It seems the only way to contact them apparently is to visit the delivery centre in person. I was actually setting out to do just that when the package turned up, a week late.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Buy Doves Farm Wholemeal 100% Fine Plain Flour - Organic - 1kg (goodclub.co.uk)

These folk sell flour with one ingredient it seems................................wheat.

We use quite a few Doves Farm products. During the first lockdown they were one of the few places we were able to get flour from. Their buckwheat (which isn’t wheat) flour makes nice pancakes.  I really like their digestive biscuits too, though of course after checking the palm oil ingredient was responsibly sourced. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, PupCam said:

A lot of tracking facilities are useless as you've discovered.     I've tried tracking the arrival of letters/packages from Royal Mail on several occasions to be greeted with a message stating that "No tracking information is currently available. Tracking information will be updated after delivery"   - Fat lot of good that was then!     Just like comedy and weather forecasting; it's all about the timing. 

That message looks like the one given for first or second class “signed for”.  They are not fully tracked services. Packages sent RoyalMail Tracked 24 or 48 are tracked. I think for a letter to be tracked it probably has to go special delivery. 
Though occasionally we get something delivered when the tracking claims it is in a sorting office somewhere else. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Moaning! <phew>

Far too busy since Friday when I last reported in...

Friday evening the schola performed at the Remembrance Service, it was delightful albeit a little chilly in the Memorial garden where we started, once inside we all fared better.

Saturday spent most of the day preparing for Halloween, cleaning off the track so I could run the Halloween Candy local - see video below

Sunday we had two services to sign at, followed by more frantic Halloween preparations in the afternoon, a "quick" party attendance at4PM with neighbors, then back to sit and hand out candy to the kids, was rather chilly but we managed with some wine to help warm us;

We finally dismantled everything and headed to the warmth of indoors around 8:30PM. A nice group of revelers, the dads mostly interested in the "delivery system" more so than the kids except a couple of them.

Monday back to sing at a funeral for a local musician, someone well know and loved by the church community and who has performed at many of our Cabaret fund raisers.

Monday evening, on information received, found a location doing "walkin" COVID boosters for those who qualify, we do, we got them :)

Today, local elections, we only had school board members to vote for, duly did our civic duty.

Now a little tired and achy, working but may have to quit earlier and rest some.

-1 first thing but sunny, expected to reach 5!

Carry on

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

So an entirely pointless exercise giving the customer a tracking number then ......

It is so the sender knows it has arrived rather than for the person  receiving. If you want to track it so you know not go out then many retailers give you the option of paying more for tracked 24 or 48 packages. 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2