The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Tried three different ways to get out of the Dales this morning. Roads blocked by water. Fortunately a local pointed us via higher back roads but still had to go through some deepish water at times. At least one poor chap's car had to be towed out. Hopefully an electrical problem rather that a full blown water in the engine job.

Some spectacular views of roads and fields in full spate. Rivers and waterfalls even more so. Unfortunately not in a position to take photographs.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All,

Looks like you are having more than your share BoD. Last week some of the rivers were a bit short of water and we only had proper rain for half a day! It is raining now down in these Southern parts because I've just fired up the lawn mower...

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Back home safe and sound thanks.

Looked ... erm .... interesting at one point with the road out of Hawes blocked in both directions. Credit to the guy whose car had just been towed out of water he was waving down and turning round other cars and to the locals giving directions.

After weeks of Summery weather, Winter is threatening. Todays forecast, - Cloudy, very cold, 26mm rain forecast.

Sounds like where Warren has jut returned from (Oops, ending a sentence with a preposition!)

Glad you are safeloy home. Sorry your break was so short but I hope you enjoyed it. Now, on with the layout.

I hope it's better where you all are.

• RMweb Premium

No sign of rain here at the moment - but it is forecast, so I suspect it won't be long until we see some!

I have seen the old fella a few minutes ago.

Morning all – left shoulder and neck aching again <_< . Actually, they have been for a few days, so I decided to use another pillow as I was suspecting this to be the problem. Looks like I'll have to think about what else may be the reason.

Cheers everyone...

Morning all. Been up a while and done some tidying up in the flat.

This losing weight business is slow going... 2 1/2 weeks since I started the diet proper, 3 1/2 since I cut out crisps... still, I'm 8 pounds down on what I was. Annoyingly a friend who's dieting too lost 7 pounds in his first week (mind you, he's starting from 17 stone, so he's got a lot more to lose than me!)

At least the exercise regime is going well, trying to swim 5 times a week and gym a couple. Feeling too tired at nights to do any modelling though, which isn't great for my Challenge diorama!

Dry here so far this morning, but not expecting that to last!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, not a lot happening today. I had intended to have a mega tidy up today as the house is a bit of a tip, nothing too drastic just toys everywhere which I couldn't be bothered to put away. Without the advantage(?) of living with a partner to, um, guide me in the paths of tidiness it is all to easy to leave it till tomorrow, which, as we all know, never comes.

That's what I intended to do but made the mistake of picking up a guitar. Oh well, tomorrow then - no, hang on that's my birthday so am not doing it then. Sunday.....???

• RMweb Premium

Well, the school I've been assigned to for my practice does look very good at first glance – far more modern than the one I once went to. The latter but is currently in the process of being completely rebuilt, so it'll sure be interesting to have a look around there once it'll be finished. In any case, we also met two of the teachers who will be tutoring us, as well as the headmistress. As it turns out, many classes will be on excursions during our first week, so I believe the operational tempo will not be too fast for starters.

We also learned that the school is always looking for assistants in a variety of subjects, for which they would gladly welcome university students as well. I'll have to keep that in mind, all depending on my own schedule, of course.

• RMweb Gold

Very warm here in Austria but rain is forecast.We did see marmots yesterday. Also quite amazed at how much the glacier has shrunk since we first saw it in 1985 or even since 2006 .Tony

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

I'm up to date on everybody now - happy birthday Phil.

Utterly miserable weather here over the last couple of days, but nowhere near as bad as other parts of the UK. Summer????Whatever happened to the predictions of a scorching season?

I've just managed to book on the Lune Rivers Trust Special from Carnforth to Shrewsbury - over 5 hours of steam haulage in each direction for under 50 quid - can't be bad - though I'll have to be a real ER that morning, as it's booked to leave at 07.00 and gets to Shrewsbury about dinner time via the Little North Western, Hellifield, and Blackburn to get onto the WCML - it's booked for 46115 so here's hoping that it's in good fettle.

Not really a lot more to say here today, so

Regards to All

Stewart

Afternoon All,

I got a note home from the school today. When I was Thomas' age, a note home from the school was a serious thing because it meant it was something over and above the ordinary. Something that required additional discipline to that which the school dished out.

I quote, translated obviously.

"Thomas was throwing toilet rolls around in the boys toilet today"

Complete with a little line for me to sign on, to say that I have seen it.

What exactly am I supposed to do with this information? We have had a discussion about the wisdom of throwing loo rolls around...

• RMweb Premium

Happy birthday, Phil! Have a pint or two, I suggest... :drinks:

Robert – I can't give you any advice about this as of yet, but may be sort of in a position to do so some time after the 22nd :D . However, I think throwing toilet rolls around really isn't half as bad as, erm, defecating on top of the toilet lid, as some kids once did at my school many years ago and which was graphically described in a general address over the tannoy... :mellow: