The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Pandemic fatigue takes many forms it seems. I am presently exhausted by local reporting over vaccine mandates. This week saw terminations of employment for state government and healthcare employees due to refusals to be vaccinated.

Local television loves to put these people on the news - like the respiratory therapist  :o  who refused a vaccine. It's my understanding he claimed a religious exemption (I believe as a "Christian"). His employer is a not-for-profit healthcare system originally founded by the Episcopalian (Anglican) faith and denied this request.

Another was a Washington state trooper who declared the mandate "unconstitutional" - which made me wonder which university awarded him a Juris Doctorate in constitutional law to be able to come to this conclusion.

At the national level, reporting is highlighting the firing of the highest paid employee in the State of Washington along with four of his direct reports. He (the football coach of Washington State University) was willing to risk his salary of $3.2M. Of course he plans legal action. He has been slow rolling the issue in press conferences with promises to 'follow the policy'.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Well Bear has managed to transfer the Telly equipment into the Conservatory - and it works again :yahoo:          - all except for the Amazon Fire Stick that is :angry:.  It seems to think that the Wifi signal in the Conservatory is P.P - well Alexa seems happy with it, as does Bear's Laptop and a couple of smart sockets.  I need to dive into the Router settings to see if I can wind up the signal strength at all, cos' moving the Router isn't an option as it needs the phone line socket.  All other suggestions gratefully received.

Hermes were promising to deliver Bear's new leccy under-blanket and pillows "between 1 and 3 today".  I'm still waiting....:angry:

Tomorrow sees final prep work for starting on the lounge - a few bits still to pack and/or protect from dust. After that I really will have run out of reasons not to start .....

Oh, hang on, tomorrow's bin day - and I've a load of washing to do - and a bed to change - and a project to plan for tomorrow evening's fun at college....

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, polybear said:

Well Bear has managed to transfer the Telly equipment into the Conservatory - and it works again :yahoo:          - all except for the Amazon Fire Stick that is :angry:.  It seems to think that the Wifi signal in the Conservatory is P.P - well Alexa seems happy with it, as does Bear's Laptop and a couple of smart sockets.  I need to dive into the Router settings to see if I can wind up the signal strength at all, cos' moving the Router isn't an option as it needs the phone line socket.  All other suggestions gratefully received.

I have seen advertised a device that plugs into an electric socket near the router and another near the remote device and the signal travels via the house wiring.

• Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, polybear said:

It seems to think that the Wifi signal in the Conservatory is P.P - well Alexa seems happy with it, as does Bear's Laptop and a couple of smart sockets.

I would run an Ethernet cable from the router to the conservatory. Really flat ones are available now and it you are decorating soon you could even hide it completely. The latest fire sticks can use a wired Ethernet adapter. Or as Phil suggests an internet through mains device, some have a built in WiFi extender. I put Ethernet cable from our router (near the phone socket) to the corner of the lounge where the TV etc lives . That then goes into a Gigabit switch for tv, Sky box and various other devices. No buffering problems when viewing now. I did originally have mains transmission device. When it worked it was fine but sometimes needed turning off and back off again. When it went “bang” I decided to do it properly and lay cable. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

31 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I have seen advertised a device that plugs into an electric socket near the router and another near the remote device and the signal travels via the house wiring.

I  have a similar system I have a Tp  link system it works well its plug and play you got what you need in the box. Plug In the adapters to the mains an Ethernet cable to router. Ethernet cable to device press pair and your off.

You could also try a wifi extender to extend the range of the signal

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Osoyoos?

Indeed.

On the way up to the Okanagan (Canadian spelling!) the aspens were all turning a beautiful yellow. Now that we’re further east, the larches are doing the same thing.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, pH said:

... the aspens were all turning a beautiful yellow. Now that we’re further east, the larches are doing the same thing

The sugar maples (ornamental imports here) are at their peak in the neighbourhood right now. Plenty of orange and yellow during my walk lately. The current rain system (not very rainy today) brought with it a breezy day and with it a *lot* of leaf fall.

Last year my Japanese maples took until late November to hit their peak. They're a dull red right now and I'm hoping the colour deepens in the next few weeks.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Now Mr Bear, I'll see your KnicKnacks and raise you a Kunzle's Showboat, or would if Lyons hadn't wrecked them after the takeover.

I take it that @polybear didn't experience the Showboat. It was a child's delight and probably a dentist  and dietician's nightmare, much loved in Birmingham tea shops and elsewhere in the 1960s. 

Christian Kunzle came over from Davos at the age of 17 and worked for his Uncle's pastry business in Oxford before becoming a chef at the Houses of Parliament. He then started restaurants in Birmingham and the surrounding area and set up a confectionery and chocolaitier factory to supply them and other people around the country. He made quality chocolates with a high cocoa content. The business was carried on for a while by the family after his death in 1954 but eventually after various mergers it ended up in the hands of Lyons. 

The cakes in question were originally marketed under the name of Super Fancies and became widespread around 1960 with the move to a new factory at Garretts Green. It was around this time that the name was changed to Showboat. They consisted of a hard chocolate cup which then had a layer of cake similar to LDC in the bottom covered with buttercream then piped decoration and a small sweet to top it. They were hand made, 40 women working on the production line. My Great Aunt, elder sister of the driver in the earlier post was one of they and she would bring round a bag of 'seconds' from the factory shop to my Grandad's house  most weekends.

At the start of the line there was a large vat that held about 15 tons of liquid chocolate feeding two ancient moulding machines.

After the last takeover Lyons moved production to one of their other factories and when production resumed they tried to cut costs by reducing the cocoa content of the chocolate and changing other ingredients. Sadly they weren't the same and the public stopped buying so production ceased. Waitrose did try to reintroduce them a few years later but they couldn't reproduce the original magic formula. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/T4cjCiUPBoggQDP99

• Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Persisting down here at the moment and its encouraged Arthur Itis out to play but a couple of Nurofen has put him back in his box. Farcebook seems to be playing up at the moment, in fact its still not quite right since the outage a couple of weeks ago. Tea is ready to be drunk, be back later.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

They consisted of a hard chocolate cup which then had a layer of cake similar to LDC in the bottom covered with buttercream then piped decoration and a small sweet to top it.

:maninlove:

• Agree 3
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The weather today has been very mixed, we’ve had some strong winds (but thankfully not inside), rain, thunder, sunshine, more rain, more sunshine, dark threatening skies, followed by blue skies with just a few white clouds, a very mixed day indeed. In fact, I think the only types of weather we haven’t today has been, fog, hail or snow. However, the unseasonal weather has meant that some of the biennials I planted earlier in the year, in readiness for next year are already flowering, we also still have lots of roses in bloom and there are masses of buds on them too! 

This morning I managed to get the cable out of storage ready to take to Vickie and Ian’s when necessary, but as I thought, I didn’t have any sockets or back boxes, so they’ll have to go and buy those. Once I’d finished putting back the few items I needed to move to get it, I continued working on the engine shed. The sand drying house roof is now finished, so that building is now complete. I then turned my attention back to the office. I took the ceiling to the workshop and fitted a couple of LEDs and resistors in it for the lighting. Once happy with how it looked, I then made a start on the roof, so far I’ve done 20% of the roof slates, so there’s still quite a bit to do. 

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2