The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

One of the reasons I have never been to Uckfield is that by the time I have made the cross London exchanges I would probably want to go home. If I lived in Bedford I would stay on the train and change in Croydon. Is there a reason why this isn’t a good idea. I would probably take my own sandwiches anyway!

It's a case of knowing places to eat at that time of the morning.  Is there anywhere at or near East Croydon station?

Chris

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

On the subject of longevity of products can any one help with the symbol below, the one with ‘10’ in semicircular arrows. I’ve be told by a friend it refers  to the longevity of lead free solder joints . I’ve so far only seen it on my Nikon camera and lenses.B15DC831-B131-4548-94F9-5D8CDCB88E8A.jpeg.ea9b6d55815b791acf835a0b16a2ff71.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Apparently it means this:

That's a Chinese RoHS / recycling indication: Under RoHS 2, manufacturers must indicate dangerous chemicals inside on the outside. The number in the circle is an indication for the "Environment Friendly Use Period", the period in which it's safe the contained substances will not leak out.

10 in your circle means that it's pretty safe that for 10 years, no RoHS-critical substances will leak out.

https://www.electronicsweekly.com/blogs/directive-decoder/china-rohs/china-rohs-new-efup-guidance-2007-03/

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chrisf said:

It's a case of knowing places to eat at that time of the morning.  Is there anywhere at or near East Croydon station?

Chris

Depends what you want. The station platforms feature a couple of the usual coffee-and-croissant chains.  Just outside the barrier line you have Costa and Burger King. Beyond that it’s a ten-minute hike into the town centre which is bandit country :jester:

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, grandadbob said:

I did toy with the idea of visiting Uckfield but have now decided against it.

All roads out lead uphill. That might suggest something ;)   I’ve never been to anything there other than for the purposes of catching public transport.  It’s not my favourite town. 

Evening all. Happy Friday, with due respect to the news from Essex. Avagoodweekend.  

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. When I went into Tesco's this afternoon there was an NHS guy offering booster jabs, I carry the paperwork for my covid jabs with me and after he checked them he told me that I couldn't have the jab until six months after my second jab which will be November eleventh.

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

One of the reasons I have never been to Uckfield is that by the time I have made the cross London exchanges I would probably want to go home. If I lived in Bedford I would stay on the train and change in Croydon. Is there a reason why this isn’t a good idea. I would probably take my own sandwiches anyway!

Thats the reason I will be going by car, in fact I will pass close to Tony's home four times tomorrow as I collect my friend and his lad and take them home.

4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

He was our local MP at one time and to be quite honest he wasn't exactly as portrayed in all the plaudits he has received. But I will say no more as this is a terrible tragedy whatever your political opinions.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Mine is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon at the GP surgery. Aditi’s was too, but she got hers while having her review meeting with the diabetic nurse today. There it would seem two different flu vaccines being used again this year, we get the version for the over 65s.

Got ours after the second pass at the pharmacy, first time too busy so the Mrs hauled me off to see buy a new fire table for the patio, easy come easy go :)

Not sure if we got the shot with the Microsoft tracking chip or the one that magnetizes you - or is that just for COVID shots at present?? :jester::jester:

• Like 11
  • Funny 6

43 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Depends what you want. The station platforms feature a couple of the usual coffee-and-croissant chains.  Just outside the barrier line you have Costa and Burger King. Beyond that it’s a ten-minute hike into the town centre which is bandit country :jester:

It's a long time since I had a girlfriend from Uni that lived in Croydon she lived close to the traincare depot at Selhurst. Going to the Sainsburys under the stands at Selhurst Park was a novelty. One thing I remember was every time you passed the front door there was a pile of takeaway menus

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Most MP's do do a good job at constituency level and in my experience they can be the best way of cutting through red tape. I was a volunteer in the constituency office for one of our Euro MP's a few years ago and it was amazing the amount of work that gets done behind the scenes.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

On the subject of longevity of products can any one help with the symbol below, the one with ‘10’ in semicircular arrows. 

1 hour ago, polybear said:

10 in your circle means that it's pretty safe that for 10 years, no RoHS-critical substances will leak out.

I suspect the "10" rating was more about the testing procedures than the actual lifespan of RoHS compliance.

It's hard to imagine lead leaking out of a camera lens in sufficient quantities to be dangerous. It feels a bit like the mandatory warning on public buildings in California where the building contains chemicals known to cause cancer.

Having said that I'm not being frivolous. Lead poisoning is insidious and can lead to many maladies. There is so much potential exposure to lead, not just in old paint layers, but the scariest and I suspect most prevalent is in the (uncoincidentally named) plumbing.

Lead soldering in piping was ubiquitous and even lead pipes are often still in place. It has resulted in major public health crises in at least two Michigan cities.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Pre pandemic when we used to go on day trips we always used to take our own sandwiches just in case we never found anything when we were out. We often took sandwiches on the plane. When we went to Disneyland Paris we stayed in one of the resort hotels on half board we joined everyone else making sandwiches sat at the breakfast table

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

That's the reason I will be going by car, in fact I will pass close to Tony's home four times tomorrow as I collect my friend and his lad and take them home.

Apparently South Eastern Finecast are due to be there - I'd be interested to know if Dave Ellis (and Mick) are on the stand now that he has sold the business to Squires

1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

Not sure if we got the shot with the Microsoft tracking chip or the one that magnetizes you - or is that just for COVID shots at present?? :jester::jester:

Just wave your head across the scanner when next in a Supermarket and see what comes up on the receipt.....

In other news.....

Bear has Halfords coming to fix the Windscreen chip on the Bearmobile tomorrow - sometime between 8am and 8pm.  Tighter appointment times are available - for an extra fourteen quid or so....:no:

Apart from that it'll be a "make it up as I go along" day - I still have glassware and china etc. to pack carefully from the wall unit in the lounge, which in turn is due to be collected by BHF next Wednesday.  After which Bear has run out of reasons for not starting the lounge refurb.  Turdycurses. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, polybear said:

Paws up all those who'd like that workshop.....too late, Bear saw it first.....

Nice one grandad, but unless you are old enough to know who the Beatles were  this is the modelling  workshop you want!

image.png.acf12bd5e07863bfb672354112501e65.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

Evening all!     Very late on parade today!

427555109_EveningAll.jpg.c03acd0a67ae03cc322da2b91ef87cd8.jpg

Well the Dyson has successfully completed it's first post-repair User Trial.      I was going to say it passed with flying colours, in truth the best it could manage was to perform exactly how it always has.   But I suppose that's some kind of achievement and the wallet was not inconvenienced at all so no Toy Tokens were harmed in the repair of this vacuum cleaner.

Today Puppers has been trimming some Ivy and thermally insulating the garage door in an anticipation of the looming winter.    About 30% of the door now has it's lagging.   I need to keep the toys, the garage freezer and Puppers luke warm if not toasty if all are to function as required in the coming months!

That's pretty much it for today.   Tomorrow brings more garage door lagging and further hall decorating.   

You can't say that being retired isn't all action can you!

Night awl.

Alan

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Nice one grandad, but unless you are old enough to know who the Beatles were  this is the modelling  workshop you want!

image.png.acf12bd5e07863bfb672354112501e65.png

The first bit looks like a flashing light off a council truck, the one in the middle is a fish tank, and the one on the right a TV set.  This Bear'll stick to proper engineering - you can keep all your 1's and 0's thanks.....:jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

Evening, been hill walking today as it was dry and sunny no Munroe's, but some hefty hills were climbed, making the most whilst I can still manage them, hoped for some spectacular wild life, but it was all hiding. Whilst close to 2000 feet up I came across a small water turbine generating electrickery for the estate houses, last thing I expected to find that high up, but the land rover track to it made for a much easier descent for me.

G'night all.

• Like 17