The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I was right about the weather looking dodgy this morning, we had a couple of light showers before dinner and another one after dinner too! Although the rain wasn’t heavy, I’m glad I was in the workshop when it did rain though!

The workshop and shed are starting to look a little more organised than they were this morning. Of the two shelves I put up in the workshop, one was to replace a temporary shelf, that was made from a wide piece of pallet wood. The new shelf is a little bit wider than the previous shelf and extra shelf, which has been fitted directly above this is also proving very useful. I’ve been able to put several small compartmented boxes that contain plastic gears, a few more boxes of different sized cable ident markers on the top shelf. These are now readily available, but out of the way, leaving other shelves to house stuff that is used on a more regular basis, closer to hand. 

I’ve also transferred all my power tools and larger DIY tools to the shed, where they are all stored together on the same shelving rack. It’s all starting to look a lot tidier and a lot less like a dumping ground, which is what it had become. 

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 2

14 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I am fairly certain that the improvements and advances made in medical science have enabled me as a rather unfit person to live way beyond what nature has permitted…

You’ve raised a philosophical question that eventually will become a real problem for humanity to deal with: at what point does saving individuals become detrimental to the health of the species.

Take haemophilia for example: it’s an inherited genetic disease and without modern treatment afflicted individuals have greatly shortened lifespans and often do not reach maturity. Whilst from a humanitarian perspective there’s no question that afflicted individuals should be treated and given as a near normal life as possible, from a humanity perspective is it wise to keep these defective genes in the gene pool?

Further complicating matters is that some inherited conditions - like Sickle Cell Anaemia -  can in certain instances be advantageous (SCA apparently is protective against malaria). 

iD

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

12 hours ago, Tony_S said:

In the news here, there are people handing out fake leaflets (with NHS logos) to schoolchildren going to school trying to dissuade them from getting vaccinated. They also are threatening headteachers with ridiculous pseudo legal writs for facilitating vaccination. 

I despair at what’s going on and how the authorities are now no longer fit for purpose. They’d rather go after people who express opinions that are not approved by the “woke” than address a real problem.

Distributing such leaflets could be construed as “giving aid and comfort to the enemy” - which is a treasonous activity and if memory serves treason is still a capital offence.  Whilst undoubtedly there would be a certain amount of satisfaction in seeing such individuals in the dock (and on the scaffold?) for treason, it would be a disproportionate response by authorities. There are plenty of laws on the books that could curtail such activities. And quite frankly in a time of a serious pandemic (and according to some virologists the first of many to come) the good of the many outweighs the freedom of the one…

8 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

….In other news the "training course" I was due to endure took place today.  …

……; I listened to slides being read out with no opportunity for interaction for another 25 minutes.  At 13.55 that was it.  Done.  Finito.  :O :O :O 

I thought, when I started reading the post, that “endure” was just hyperbole, by the time I reached the end of the post I realised it was an understatement.

Sadly, this is frequently far too typical of so-called “training” nowadays: trainers whose knowledge of the material barely extends beyond what’s on the slides and whose didactic skills are so non-existent that all they can do is read out the slides (and even then usually in a dull monotone).

One of the things that my company does is training and awareness (that’s Mrs iD’s bailiwick) and the tales she tells of inadequate training programmes and appalling presentations she has to fix have to be heard to be believed….

6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Im not sure what's going on with the mouse plague these days . I guess all the snakes got them.

Undoubtedly. There’s some interesting reading about predator-prey relationships available on the net. One of the striking things is the double bell shaped curve of population numbers: the first curve is that of the prey, the second of the predator. The second curve exactly copying the first - with a short gap between the two (the gap varying in time according to predator and prey species)

Ain’t Nature fascinating…

iD

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Best wishes to Simon and family and I hope that the cause of the problem is identified soon. My aches and pains seem insignificant in comparison, most of them are to do with getting older. At one time I thought it would be great to reach my 100th birthday now I'm not so sure, spending my twilight years sitting in a care home staring at four walls does not appeal. Arthur Itis kicked up a fuss first thing but the usual brace of Nurofen put him back in his box.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Curious conversations about "satnavs". My car (purchased new in 2003) has one built-in. It uses maps stored on a DVD player. Back then, the car manufacturer used to send me annual postcards suggesting I should purchase a new DVD map for the price of a multiple of $100 (which I never did) but they stopped doing this many years ago and the maps are now quite out of date. (My home is not even on the map, but I have a marker that is 'close enough'.)

I am a convert to mobile telephone turn by turn directions. With horrible, unpredictable traffic (or road closures) on my familiar routes, the 'real-time' alternatives spontaneously provided en-route can be very handy and have saved me much anxiety on numerous occasions. Some of them were really intriguing and effective - I would never have thought of them.

Recent "improvements" to suggest more fuel economy-friendly routing seem to have mitigated some of the really clever features that were implemented in mobile telephone navigation applications.

They're not perfect. One day this summer when the highway traffic was particularly diabolical, I wanted a more relaxing alternative. I couldn't make it recognize the route below until I reached the far shore.

image.png.0c3926b60677064f9f523aece00df30c.png

When navigators were first introduced, if you were approaching Horning from the south by car, you were met with this view.

..Postcard-The-Ferry-Inn-At-Horning-Ferry-Norfolk.jpg.259eb4fa9e1287fcd8bd57d80ce3748c.jpg

At that time there was no ferry and hadn't been for many many years.. and it's probably 10 miles to go all the way round via bridge..

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Ozexpatriate said:

My aunt (the oldest of four sisters, but not yet 90) was recently moved into aged-care facility. She is very unwell. Shortly after her admission a Queensland CoViD lockdown prohibited all visits. Her sisters were able to visit on Monday. I'll check in with my cousin by Zoom tomorrow to see how she is doing.

She has a room with a nice view (of the Brisbane River) but of course she can't see the view from her bed. She does not possess a mobile telephone and when the lockdown hit, it had been too soon to transfer her landline telephone from her home to the aged-care facility. When I last spoke to my cousin, this was still a work in progress.

Meanwhile the family is packing up her home. A few years ago she was spry and healthy. She had knee surgery, which went well, and didn't wait for a nurse to get up to use the toilet. Her downhill spiral started with a fall. I won't go into all the subsequent complications.

Her lesson to me is avoid falls.

That is one thing that concerns me, a decline in my fitness. Its perhaps more noticeable after lockdown as the decline was gradual and not very noticeable before. I have had to make some adaptations such as handrails as I live on my own and falls are one thing to be avoided.

• Friendly/supportive 17