The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good moani g.  It's dark but dry.  As others have said, it's good to have GDB back and to hear that he has wielded a chisel without a visit to casualty.

I had a good day yesterday.  The trailer was emptied at the tip and put away.  Then after a quick early lunch I set off  to Limoges airport with our friend Joanne. After seeing her safely in and a quick coffee I headed  down into the town. There I spent a pleasant hour watching trains. A former colleague who also likes such objects came and met me and an hour passed very quickly in the afternoon sun.  I even managed not to fall, trip or slip.  

This morning it's market day then no doubt some unspecified pottering in the garden this afternoon.

Stay safe everyone.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Woken early by turning over onto the site of my flu jab. Pah!

Apparently "we" are off to look for a new bed frame today. Our current one was a cheap metal frame which is a bit creaky due to the fixings used.

Mugatea time!

Well done GDB! Makes my recent wins on euromillions (£2.40 & £2.60) look silly.

Have a great day!

Baz

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

8 hours ago, PupCam said:

…..I may have to check the exact terms of our Non Disclosure Agreement which I think Captain Cynical may have breached on this occasion hence alerting a certain Mr P.Bear to my devious intentions!…

Hardly, Puppers. Consider my post the equivalent of the opening naval barrage of D-Day. By the time the opposition is aware of it, it’s already far too late.

Incidentally, the attack on the Bear’s cake stash was a success. To quote one of my commanders “Ich liebe den Geruch von brennendem Kuchen am Morgen.... Es riecht nach Karamell” (I love the smell of burning cake in the morning…. It smells of caramel).

But don’t be too complacent, dear Puppers. A wily old ursine like Poly Bear is unlikely to have put all his LDC in one basket (so to speak). Further missions may be needed!

12 hours ago, polybear said:

So what's the deal that Bear has to beat?  And will Puppers actually pay up.....:wink_mini:

He’d better. Captain Cynical does not tolerate defaulters. The last person to try and cheat CC found his 15-years-in-the-making O gauge layout suddenly being used to stiffen the aggregate for the Gotthard Base Tunnel concrete. CC then observed that he (CC) hadn’t even started to get nasty….

Captain Cynical

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PupCam said:

.........but I'm afraid I don't share other's faith in Which reports.     I think they may have recommended  Dyson vacuum cleaners on a number of occasions.    Muggin's has to date purchased 3 of Mr Dysons cleaners over the years.   The only thing cleaned (out) has been my wallet.   Maybe I'm just unlucky or have unrealistically high expectations of what consumer products should do and, most  importantly, how long they should last?

A certain Filton(ish) recruit of "The Great Empire" used to do "very nicely" out of the Dyson "returns" skip at Hullavington.  Eventually they got wise changed their policy and started crushing things.

Dyson are good vacuums by all accounts, until the warranty runs out and they have a nasty habit of breaking.  Obviously Puppers didn't learn his lesson the first two times....

Buy a Miele...

1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

An email from National Lottery has brightened my day somewhat as I won £64 in last night's draw.  This follows a £30 win last week.  Things are looking up.  :yes:

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Oops.. just noticed.. I have won....£10 and 2 lucky dips... luxury!!!

And Bear has just had a pony out the the bonds :yahoo:

48 minutes ago, TheQ said:

From our local paper the North Norfolk News about the virtual event.. a picture

image.png.91126f56c1d62aa14ceb92a6ed7a602d.png

He's just taken a chainsaw to Bert's "bits" :scared: - no wonder the poor guys' clutching 'em.  Or at least what's left of 'em...

:cry:

39 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Incidentally, the attack on the Bear’s cake stash was a success. To quote one of my commanders “Ich liebe den Geruch von brennendem Kuchen am Morgen.... Es riecht nach Karamell” (I love the smell of burning cake in the morning…. It smells of caramel).

Fear not, fellow ER'ers - Bear's SCR is safe n' sound, as always.  It seems that CC is trying his luck at Propoganda in an attempt at strike fear into the cake-loving population.  Unsuccessfully. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Just a quick hello as I'll be on my way to Chappel and Wakes Colne soon. Arthur Itis was making a few grumbles this morning but as soon as I started moving about he went back into hiding. Now to polish off whats left of breakfast and I'll be on my way.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning, 11c and a lovely sunrise creeping up through the trees at the bottom of the garden.  Dewey though (not decimal) very autumnal indeed.

Had to get a shake on as Mrs NHN has gone out cycling with her pal, and her bike tyres needed inflating - which involves poor NHN having to go down to the garage, run the compressor (annoys the neighbours - good, they annoy me....) and do the deed.  Having a recovering coffee now and contemplating a shower if the drains can take it.

Baz - TMI mate!

• Like 19

Morning all, dry but cloudy here this morning, though there was a lot of fist and mog earlier at sunrise, had a long day out in Perth yesterday, well at my daughters farmhouse on the edge of the Fair City to be precise, it persisted it down most of the day, but a nice family catch up day all the same. Stay safe all.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It had improved from misty to merely overcast now. My iPad always capitalises “Misty” (as shown here). I only knew of Misty as a name from a Pokémon character but one of Aditi’s cousins in the US is married to a Misty and it isn’t a nickname.

We are off to Canvey Island again. The tip doesn’t seem to have a problem with multiple visits as long as you don’t have a van or multi axle trailer. The bedroom, where stuff removed from  the loft was collected, has been cleared enough to reveal patches of carpet. I did go back into the loft to pack the Christmas tree components into the bags I had purchased. I need another one so one is on its way but not from Spain this time. 
We should be back for an early lunch and see the start of the Grand Prix. Aditi likes the scenic shots of the area round the circuits and all the weather stuff. 
Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I have to report that I may not be on the ball over the next few weeks as my ninety three old mother has had a very bad fall. She has broken a bone in her collar bone and as had a bleed on her brain. As you can imagine she is very poorly and is in hospital. To further complicate matters she has now got pneumonia as well. As you can imagine this is not good and the family are extremely concerned.

This year is turning into a right pitta so you'll have to forgive me if I'm not at my best.

Ian

Really sorry to learn about your mother’s fall. Aditi’s mother (also 93) had a few falls a couple of years ago. She really resents all the precautions put in place to reduce the chance of this happening again. 
Are you (or other family) allowed to visit your mother?

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Firstly, and most importantly, very special Beary thoughts are with WB and family....I hope it all comes good very quickly. :friends:

In other news:

Bear has been doing his "Karate Cub" impression - wax on, wax off, wax on.....at least until drizzle appeared.  And not of the yummy variety either :sad_mini:  Hopefully, it'll lay off very soon (if not already) as I'd really like to get the Bearmobile finished today.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Morning all.

It had improved from misty to merely overcast now. My iPad always capitalises “Misty” (as shown here). I only knew of Misty as a name from a Pokémon character but one of Aditi’s cousins in the US is married to a Misty and it isn’t a nickname.

We are off to Canvey Island again. The tip doesn’t seem to have a problem with multiple visits as long as you don’t have a van or multi axle trailer. The bedroom, where stuff removed from  the loft was collected, has been cleared enough to reveal patches of carpet. I did go back into the loft to pack the Christmas tree components into the bags I had purchased. I need another one so one is on its way but not from Spain this time. 
We should be back for an early lunch and see the start of the Grand Prix. Aditi likes the scenic shots of the area round the circuits and all the weather stuff. 
Tony

Play Misty for Me was a film that IIRC was produced by Clint Eastwood some years ago starring onevof his ladyfriends.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bearmobile

I suppose I should clean my car soon, it is very grubby. Although it has been used as a refuse vehicle for tip trips for a while now the inside is very clean. We are careful about not transporting any mucky stuff. I must admit the Fiesta looked nice after I snow foamed it a week ago. Turning on the demister on my car this morning caused a few spiders to flee from the mirrors. Perhaps they mistook the heat for summer. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

By the time I got out there the blue skies had gone, it became proper dreich, very dreich. Under the marquee top it was OK, so three covers were taken off, two had an end painted, one its top sanded and painted.

Looking at the mist though it was reaching the rear of the boat, so finishing the steering gear wasn't an option.

So I then sat in the boat with wedges, cam cleats, a bit of string, and a pencil..

After various trials,  positions were worked out and pencilled up. 

During that the wind came up and the back of my neck was getting wet, when you consider I'm sat 9ft in from the end of the marquee it's coming from and my head is 7ft above the ground that's almost horizontal rain.. I'm very glad I wasn't working in the stern..

So I stayed in and around the boat, until the weather returned to merely dreich again.

Then back to the workshop, six wedges were temporarily bolted to the cam cleats and trimmed to shape around them.

I'm now having a muggacoffee, and pink pills, before possibly taking Ben for his walk. On return those wedges need varnishing... They are a nice white oak, it would be a shame to paint them..

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

I have to report that I may not be on the ball over the next few weeks as my ninety three old mother has had a very bad fall. She has broken a bone in her collar bone and as had a bleed on her brain….

Sorry to hear that, Ian. Not a good situation at any age. Let’s hope that there will be a satisfactory outcome.

• Agree 15

4 hours ago, polybear said:

…Fear not, fellow ER'ers - Bear's SCR is safe n' sound, as always.  It seems that CC is trying his luck at Propoganda in an attempt at strike fear into the cake-loving population.  Unsuccessfully. 

Don’t believe everything you hear from the BBC (Bear’s Broadcasting Company). It’s counter-propaganda pure and simple. And like all good propaganda it contains an element of truth. Much of the Bear’s CMD (Cakes of Mass Deliciousness) stocks are untouched - the attack was simply a way to focus the Bear’s attention and get him to negotiate with PupCam, not to destroy ALL his WMD’s.

As for the success of the mission? The gun camera photos don’t lie….:D

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10