The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good Evening Awl,

After a relatively mundane day, please permit me to quote a post and pose a question.

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Ian Fleming's James Bond (the books, not the films) had an inordinate influence on me when I was a spotty teenage.

How are James Bond and Dr. Syn, of Romney Marsh smuggling repute, connected? (This could be extended to the connection between Ian Fleming and Russell Thorndike!)

FYI, multi-quote is not quoting but single quote is under Firefox.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I have a Lexmark laser printer. The colour cartridges cost twice as much as HP but are four times the size. What is more when they run out you can buy bottles of ink and refill them yourself. As refilling the cartridges can be messy most just buy replacement cartridges.

I use a Canon.  The internet and the nerdworks suggest that ink cartridges for these cannot be refilled readily but generic ones can be used instead.  

Users - "Oh no they can't!"

Nerds - "Oh yes they can!"

Users - "Oh no they ******* can't!"

Canon has managed to slip something into the electronics which identifies genuine cartridges and rejects others.  Ask me how I know.  And make me an offer for two sets of generic ink cartridges minus a couple which were opened for use but which prompted the machine to have hissy fits and remove toys from its pram.  

Today has entertained me for long enough.  G'night all.  As Jack Warner (Dixon of Dock Green) once said.

937219819_Screenshot2021-10-08at22_17_38.png.5c4247b97bdb4f81d3ddb2518b871910.png

• Friendly/supportive 18

5 hours ago, polybear said:

And what do the Chinese Government do?

China power cuts: Coal miners ordered to boost output, say reports - BBC News

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58839894

:banghead:

Bear's "Why didn't I?" moment of the day:

Buy Tesla shares last October (fifty bucks a share) - now at 782 bucks a share....:cry:

Just because someone up the street is dumping their sewage in the village pond is no reason to do the same. You might though consider what you want to buy from said neighbour. 

If we could predict the movement of shares we'd be doing better than the overwhelming majority of financial advisors and would be very very wealthy . 

Evening all

A trip to West Oxfordshire today to visit a friend in hospital led to the useful discovery that the filling stations there actually have petrol.  I could only get premium (which is E5) so the problems arent over and it was at least 6 p/litre than in London but I was quite honestly more interested in getting it than worrying too much about the price. Fortunately, and even allowing for the fact that I'm driving more economically,  I seem to be getting better mileages from it  than from the E10 that was in the tank a couple of weeks ago.

Usual Friday numpties on the M40 today, crossing two lanes without looking, pulling out without indicating and including the inevitable "I own the road" pratt in a Merc. furiously flashing the car in front in the outside lane  to let him through when there was clearly no through to let him through to but just a solid line of traffic in the two outside lanes moving at about 65 MPH and fairly sensibly spaced out as far as the eye could see with most of the HGVs in the inside lane at abour 55MPH . I was watching all this from a few cars behind in the middle lane and it's something I seem to see more of on the M40  between the M25 and Stokenchurch than anywhere else.   

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

I use a Canon.  The internet and the nerdworks suggest that ink cartridges for these cannot be refilled readily but generic ones can be used instead.  

Users - "Oh no they can't!"

Nerds - "Oh yes they can!"

Users - "Oh no they ******* can't!"

Canon has managed to slip something into the electronics which identifies genuine cartridges and rejects others.  Ask me how I know.  And make me an offer for two sets of generic ink cartridges minus a couple which were opened for use but which prompted the machine to have hissy fits and remove toys from its pram.  

Interesting. I have a fairly new Canon Pixma and, though it grumbles when I feed it Whiskas rather than the Sheba blended with gold that it would prefer it doesn't stop it from printing. Isn't it illegal to actually make a device only accept proprietary consumables?  

G'night all and have a wonderful weekend.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I decided to refuel the car before I went to the Trafford Centre, as I was done to about 80 miles worth of petrol left in the tank. Upon arrival, there was no queue, no shortage of fuel and no limit to what can be put it, I put in just over £50 worth. When I finally got to the Trafford Centre, it was quite busy, for some strange reason, there were lots of parents with young children, especially in the 8 - 10 year old group. It’s too early for school holidays, so I’ve no idea why so many weren’t in school. 

This afternoon wasn’t as busy as the morning was! After dinner I went downstairs to the office and sat and drew up a design for the underside of the engine shed roof. The kits roof just wasn’t quite right, the roofing timbers ran across the roof, as opposed to down and I wanted to add extra skylights too! Anyway, the whole process only took about an hour!  After printing a test piece, which proved to be just right, I printed off enough for both the engine shed and workshop. 

My printer is an Epson, so far (is this the kiss of death?) it’s been very reliable, but then I only use genuine cartridges. I learnt the hard this lesson the hard way, when I used to get my used cartridges for my last printer (another Epson) refilled locally, with non genuine ink, it eventually gummed up the machine. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Grey may be a "new" colour for mass market cars, but the idea of a grey coloured car is not exactly new.

Grey is hardly new at all for mass produced cars. My parents bought new, a 1974 Holden with a white roof, chrome rain strips and a silver/grey metallic body. It looked nice when new. Metallic paint was novel in the 1970s, but this one was an early GM attempt. We lived within a few miles of salt water and the paint work deteriorated badly over time. The white roof paint held up much better.

Most of them I find very dull and exacerbated by their ubiquity. My observations were more about noticing new interpretations of grey (usually with a hint of other colours to distinguish it) that seem to be trendy.

As to Fleming's creation, the Aston Martin DB5 in the 1964 Goldfinger film was of course grey. There is a convertible Bentley early in From Russia With Love, (with car telephone) but, if memory serves, it is green.

18 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Such was the influence of the Ian Fleming books that I have always hankered after a Bentley - matt battleship grey was an option but not a "do or die" (incidentally, the Mark II Bentley Continental is an Ian Fleming invention).

But precisely what shade is "battleship grey"? I note that ship modelling forums seem to devote as much care and attention to that topic as people here who debate the proper shade of sage green for LSWR locomotives.*

* Or middle chrome green, or LB&SCR umber, or MR crimson lake, etc etc.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, PupCam said:

I note @polybear skills at car valeting and one has to marvel at his attention to detail.    Once again, after he's finished his own vehicle he can come round here and do Mr & Mrs Puppers' 4 wheeled vehicles.    I'm just wondering if he's done the additional 2 wheeled vehicle qualification because, if so, I've got some further jobs for him :lol:

Not even for all the choccy in Cadburys Warehouse.  Stupid Boy......:jester:

6 hours ago, BSW01 said:

When I finally got to the Trafford Centre, it was quite busy, for some strange reason, there were lots of parents with young children, especially in the 8 - 10 year old group. It’s too early for school holidays, so I’ve no idea why so many weren’t in school. 

Schools and/or classes closed due to Covid infections perhaps, with kiddiwinks sent home to self-isolate.......

Cynical Bear.

6 hours ago, BSW01 said:

My printer is an Epson, so far (is this the kiss of death?) it’s been very reliable, but then I only use genuine cartridges. I learnt the hard this lesson the hard way, when I used to get my used cartridges for my last printer (another Epson) refilled locally, with non genuine ink, it eventually gummed up the machine. 

Bear has a Brother Colour Printer; the black cartridge is about to die so I checked out the genuine cartridge prices (eighty-odd quid for a genuine set, or thirty for copies....) and bought some from a company mentioned in a Which? Magazine Test that scored well and also have a guarantee that if their cartridges screw the printer up then they'll fix or replace it.  Not sure what evidence they'll want though....

The black is still hanging on but is in ITU, so I've yet to try it out.  I have seen  companies that say that going from genuine to copy cartridges requires all to be swapped at the same time - you can't mix real and copy versions for some reason.  No idea on this one - we'll see....  

12 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Ey Up!

Flu jab day....

Baz

:scared:Haven't you heard?  It makes your hair turn blue......:jester:

In other news:

Bear is gonna get his paws wet today.  Again......:angry:

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Welcome back GDB! and I hope you don't need those plasters. Fist and mog this morning was thick but that is now lifting and a warm day is predicted. Will have to remember to draw out some cash for tomorrows day out. I will also have to break out the woolies, though its unseasonably warm the place where I'm going is rather exposed and can be a bit draughty. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1