The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

All those coal reserves we have that are wasted all those power stations demolished in the dash for gas.

Gas should be left for heating homes and businesses not eaten by power stations 

Sorry for the rant but it just seems to me that UK Government whatever party is in power sells itself down the river 

That might have avoided some of the current short term problem but continued heavy use of coal worsens the looming problem of us making the planet relatively uninhabitable for us. It's not about "saving the planet", the planet couldn't care less what crawls about on its surface but we all have a very definite vested interest in maintaining its current state of habitability for as long as possible if not fo ourselves then for our children and grandhildren and their grandchildren.

Natural gas is of course a fossil fuel and in a couple of hundred years we've been burning carbon that's been laid down by natural processes  over millions of years so need to wean ourselves of all fossil fuels. However, coal is by far the worst of them and it's simple chemistry.

Coal is predominately carbon so C+02 = C0whereas natural gas is mainly methane and CH4 +  6 0= C0+ 4 H20. So burning coal produces, for the same amount of energy released, far more carbon dioxide.

The carbon dioxide released by burning hydrocarbons is still too much and we certainly can't keep pumping it into the atmosphere but in that respect using coal to generate electricity is far worse.

• Like 7
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well considering I’ve been up since 8:30 it has been quite a busy day so far. I hadn’t even started my breakfast when the window cleaner turned up, so I had to unlock the back gate before I’d even sat down. Once he’d finished and I’d paid him, I set off to the butchers for the weekly meat rations and a pork pie for dinner. That lot has now been put away and I’m just about to drop Sheila off to meet up with some friends for a coffee. In the meantime, I shall call and pick up my latest eBay purchase then head off to the Trafford Centre, it’s all go here isn’t it? 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 hours ago, PupCam said:

...I note from my phone that it took One Hundred and Twenty Six attempts to get through this morning!    Lucky I'm not ill ...

12 hours ago, polybear said:

Jeez....Bear's GP must be "By Royal Appointment" material compared to the shower Puppers' has to endure.  I may well (often) get into multiples of ten's - but no-where near those numbers.  And assuming I call around doors open-ish then I'm usually guaranteed a call back from the Doc as required on the same day.

Wow! In comparison I'm really spoiled. I can usually get through to the "Boy Doctor's" practice (my GP - long story on the name) on the first or (maximum) second call. Phone's picked up after a maximum of 8 - 10 rings (usually 3 - 5), every so often when the phone is picked up I'm asked to hold for a minute or two. And that's all that it is - a minute or two. Phones are answered 08:00 - 12:00 and 14:00 - 17:00. I can usually get an appointment within a week or two (if not urgent). Once, when concerned about the potential recurrence of a DVT (another long story), I called at 08:00 and saw the GP the same day.

In Switzerland we have the Bismarck Model of health care. Not perfect, but it works and outcomes are excellent...

On 07/10/2021 at 00:55, Ozexpatriate said:

For years I have observed that most motorists here choose colours for newish vehicles from a very limited palette - white, silver/grey, black, and sometimes maroon. Of course there are other colours (particularly in some makes like Subaru which is very popular here), but cars in these colours appear to be much less common.

Some of this of course is a bit of the Henry Ford, "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants, so long as it is black" and cars purchased from a dealers' lots will be in inoffensive colours.

Generally speaking I am not a fan of the ubiquity of white, grey/silver and black vehicles. Having said that, what I have found myself noticing recently is 'new' grey colours.

Grey may be a "new" colour for mass market cars, but the idea of a grey coloured car is not exactly new. Ian Fleming's James Bond (the books, not the films) had an inordinate influence on me when I was a spotty teenage. And on the matter of cars, Fleming wrote:

Bond had the most selfish car in England. It was a Mark II Continental Bentley that some rich idiot had married to a telegraph pole on the Great West Road. Bond had bought the bits for £1,500 and Rolls had straightened the bend in the chassis and fitted new clockwork—the Mark IV engine with 9.5 compression. Then Bond had gone to Mulliners with £3,000, which was half his total capital, and they had sawn off the old cramped sports saloon body and had fitted a trim, rather square convertible two-seater affair, power-operated, with only two large armed bucket seats in black leather. The rest of the blunt end was all knife-edged, rather ugly, boot. The car was painted in rough, not gloss, battleship grey and the upholstery was black morocco. She went like a bird and a bomb and Bond loved her more than all the women at present in his life rolled, if that were feasible, together” Ian Fleming, Thunderball.

Such was the influence of the Ian Fleming books that I have always hankered after a Bentley - matt battleship grey was an option but not a "do or die" (incidentally, the Mark II Bentley Continental is an Ian Fleming invention).

1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

That might have avoided some of the current short term problem but continued heavy use of coal worsens the looming problem of us making the planet relatively uninhabitable for us. It's not about "saving the planet", the planet couldn't care less what crawls about on its surface but we all have a very definite vested interest in maintaining its current state of habitability for as long as possible if not fo ourselves then for our children and grandhildren and their grandchildren.

Natural gas is of course a fossil fuel and in a couple of hundred years we've been burning carbon that's been laid down by natural processes  over millions of years so need to wean ourselves of all fossil fuels. However, coal is by far the worst of them and it's simple chemistry.

Coal is predominately carbon so C+02 = C0whereas natural gas is mainly methane and CH4 +  6 0= C0+ 4 H20. So burning coal produces, for the same amount of energy released, far more carbon dioxide.

The carbon dioxide released by burning hydrocarbons is still too much and we certainly can't keep pumping it into the atmosphere but in that respect using coal to generate electricity is far worse.

Of course, the best option would be to invest in nuclear power - improving current reactor design, researching nuclear fusion and phasing out coal and gas powered electricity generation (wind, wave and thermal generation are great and enviromentally friendly - but not sufficient in themselves to power the country. Having said that, the idea of carpeting the Sahara Desert with solar panels is an intriguing one). Unfortunately, there are some limitations on nuclear power - most people don't understand it and - in Britain it could well end up being run by Crapita or some other "stellar" service provider.

One final point, life on earth has survived at least 5 mass extinction events (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event), so we are unlikely to kill off the planet. But what we will do - unless we make some signficant changes - is make life untenable for us humans (although I suspect some species like cockroaches will do just fine...)

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Parcel delivered at 11:30. Sids law meant I was inside the layout in the loft. Luckily our postie is aware of how long it takes to get down to the front door.

The parcel contained a new tablet.. just got to load it up with bits of apps etc.

Mugadecaf now required!

Baz

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Of course, the best option would be to invest in nuclear power - improving current reactor design, researching nuclear fusion and phasing out coal and gas powered electricity generation (wind, wave and thermal generation are great and enviromentally friendly - but not sufficient in themselves to power the country. Having said that, the idea of carpeting the Sahara Desert with solar panels is an intriguing one). Unfortunately, there are some limitations on nuclear power - most people don't understand it and - in Britain it could well end up being run by Crapita or some other "stellar" service provider.

One final point, life on earth has survived at least 5 mass extinction events (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event), so we are unlikely to kill off the planet. But what we will do - unless we make some signficant changes - is make life untenable for us humans (although I suspect some species cockroaches will do just fine...

There is a safe(r) form of nuclear power, thorium. The waste products are less toxic as well, no such nasties as plutonium. Also a thorium power station does not need a complex and time consuming process to shut down in an emergency. 

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

Afternoon all 

Its like summer here sunny not a breath of wind although the wind turbines at Hook Moor on the side of the A1 are turning very lazily.

I have treat the Mrs to a chippy dinner today using the funds saved from my cancelled Morrisons cafe breakfast yesterday. 

The postie brought a mixed bag this morning a refurbished 64mb usb stick I ordered via a well known auction site. One of mine and the apprentices job is to download a sat nav update from Volvo. In this case I will be the apprentice.

The downside of the post is a tax demand for over £500 for the last tac year so I have that to sort out on Monday by my calculation I should be owed tax back I paid tax through Paye and am taxed on my pension payments.  The letter is written in gobbledygook and contradicts its self

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

Greetings all from a Sidcup, which like TonyS's neighbourhood has seen some unexpected drizzle.

Belated congratulations to Mr and Mrs Gwiwer - and I hope they enjoy the afternoon tea. We had a breakfast box from that emporium as a treat last year and very nice it was too.

We learned today that our MP, James Brokenshire succumbed to the big C. He seems to have been well liked in the echelons of power. I walked past him once, because he like me was depositing some or all of his children at the same school as Younger Lurker used to go to - and where Mrs Lurker works. I believe one may still attend that school. So, if nothing, else, his children attended the local state primary school. This means in the fullness of time that we shall have a by-election in this part of the Boring Borough, although I doubt there will be a shock result; this seat has been blue for many many year, most of which time it was occupied by Ted Heath.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, AndrewC said:

There is an offshoot to Murphy's law that explains parcel arrivals. Not necessarily the latest possible time but the latest & most inconvenient time that is least expected. 

if you are on the toilet.

My HP printer has died, so I ordered a new one (well unused and returned) as I want the same model and make, as I just bought two new ink cartridges for the present one, and I begrudge giving them away as they cost me more than a printer does- HP304 has been replaced on the current models by HP305!

Anyway, got one off Ebay - estimated delivery Tuesday next.  Got an email off UPS this morning, saying that my parcel was due to be delivered TODAY between 8.30 and 12.30.  Good job I had gone out at 7.55 this morning then, and the email was timed at 8.20.  Got home around 11.30 (30747 was at Drs for a blood test arranged yesterday, and also her pneumonia jab) and no parcel and no missed delivery card.  Checked the UPS website - there is no real time tracking, and it appears that the "help" staff don't have it either, as all they said was "it's on its way".

Was on the toilet at about 1.15pm when ding .  Then I got an email saying my delivery had been delivered, and then after that, another advising me that the delivery had been "recheduled" to up to 7pm,  And it was not a UPS operative, at least he wasn't wearing a uniform, and he was driving the inevitable white van, not a UPS liveried vehicle - I didn't know UPS sub contracted any delivery work.

In other news, came down this morning to a small flood under the fish tank, so we need another one - Ebay here we go again.  Still, I've sold nine rolls of William Morris wallpaper that I bought some years ago at Boundary Mill for £2.50 each for £100 plus carriage. 

In yet other news, our Indesit washing machine decided last night that it didn't like the balance on the load that was in it, and having spun it twice, would NOT embark on the final spin.  It took a 30 minute (27 waiting and 3 of talking) to the Indesit helpdesk to get it to stop trying to spin, and then to reset itself for the next load - and I was left with a sopping wet duvet cover which luckily just went into our old spin drier bought for a fiver at a car boot sale, and which i won't get rid of as it is good for such emergencies.

No musical offerings today.

Generc greetings, of course are offered.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

Greetings all from a Sidcup, which like TonyS's neighbourhood has seen some unexpected drizzle.

Of the yummy variety?

In other news:

Bear has completed Stage One of the car cleaning mission - all the "shuts" given a super duper clean (hatchback, doors, bonnet, fuel filler flap, plus the easy bits of the engine bay); also all four alloys - outside & inside faces.  For those of a sad persuasion the hatchback shuts looked like this when the light clusters were removed:

1835198718_IMG_20481.JPG.01c91aef9511b2f0beeb30282110c491.JPG

- And now look like this:

227777489_IMG_20491.JPG.8926e6c2d695b138fd561b72dd5b4fdc.JPG

#GetalifeBear  :laugh:

And finally....

It seems that Hermes are to appear "between 5pm and 7pm".  Hmm, we'll see....

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

And what do the Chinese Government do?

China power cuts: Coal miners ordered to boost output, say reports - BBC News

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58839894

:banghead:

Bear's "Why didn't I?" moment of the day:

Buy Tesla shares last October (fifty bucks a share) - now at 782 bucks a share....:cry:

Edited by polybear
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Evening All!

image.png.2ae607d2f0ab8518ddb2a9ee49d359fd.png

More skirting board fixing today but not a lot else really.    I will own up to nodding off after lunch today.  All this DIY takes it out of a "Compromised" Puppers.

I note @polybear skills at car valeting and one has to marvel at his attention to detail.    Once again, after he's finished his own vehicle he can come round here and do Mr & Mrs Puppers' 4 wheeled vehicles.    I'm just wondering if he's done the additional 2 wheeled vehicle qualification because, if so, I've got some further jobs for him :lol:

Going back to yesterday's "Computing Nostalgia" theme, I've re-visited  a favourite website this afternoon.

https://www.hpmuseum.net/index.php

They used to do some cracking kit and I've been known to use and treasure a very wide range of their electronic test equipment over the years.     

Having been "extremely disappointed"   (Understatement of the Century TM)  by the heap of junk of an HP All-in-One  Printer I had the misfortune of purchasing  a number of years ago, which kept accusing me of purchasing counterfeit cartridges (which I had not) and then proceeding to consume all the ink from those genuine cartridges performing various "Deep Cleans" to try and make the B thing print  I WILL NOT BE BUYING ANY MORE HP "STUFF".     I managed to extend the life of the  Gold coloured fish printer a bit  when I finally ditched the highly expensive HP cartridges and added a Continuous Ink System to it but it were a right mucky business.     

Anyway, never again.     Mr Hewlett & Mr Packard must be turning, nay, spinning in their graves.  

Toddle Pip!

Alan

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

For those of a sad persuasion the hatchback shuts looked like this when the light clusters were removed:

It does look as if the space behind the light clusters is part of the roof drain system.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

I contacted the retailer who sent my parcel yesterday to ask which Parcelforce service it had been sent by and they replied that it was out for delivery and sent the tracking number. I was able to see the route the van took all over Benfleet. It seemed strange but the driver explained that he has various timed pickups to make as well as deliveries. He was only 5 minutes into the predicted delivery hour I was given.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Nodded off in the chair this afternoon and woke up with a stiff neck but that has now subsided.

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Evening All!

image.png.2ae607d2f0ab8518ddb2a9ee49d359fd.png

More skirting board fixing today but not a lot else really.    I will own up to nodding off after lunch today.  All this DIY takes it out of a "Compromised" Puppers.

I note @polybear skills at car valeting and one has to marvel at his attention to detail.    Once again, after he's finished his own vehicle he can come round here and do Mr & Mrs Puppers' 4 wheeled vehicles.    I'm just wondering if he's done the additional 2 wheeled vehicle qualification because, if so, I've got some further jobs for him :lol:

Going back to yesterday's "Computing Nostalgia" theme, I've re-visited  a favourite website this afternoon.

https://www.hpmuseum.net/index.php

They used to do some cracking kit and I've been known to use and treasure a very wide range of their electronic test equipment over the years.     

Having been "extremely disappointed"   (Understatement of the Century TM)  by the heap of junk of an HP All-in-One  Printer I had the misfortune of purchasing  a number of years ago, which kept accusing me of purchasing counterfeit cartridges (which I had not) and then proceeding to consume all the ink from those genuine cartridges performing various "Deep Cleans" to try and make the B thing print  I WILL NOT BE BUYING ANY MORE HP "STUFF".     I managed to extend the life of the  Gold coloured fish printer a bit  when I finally ditched the highly expensive HP cartridges and added a Continuous Ink System to it but it were a right mucky business.     

Anyway, never again.     Mr Hewlett & Mr Packard must be turning, nay, spinning in their graves.  

Toddle Pip!

Alan

I have a Lexmark laser printer. The colour cartridges cost twice as much as HP but are four times the size. What is more when they run out you can buy bottles of ink and refill them yourself. As refilling the cartridges can be messy most just buy replacement cartridges.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

it would appear that I have "Covid Nose" (not covid Toes).. doesn't stop it itching for the last 18 months or so with no apparent explanation.

I hope that my flub jab tomorrow is given by one of the diabetic team.. may be the only way to talk to them .

Baz

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15