The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

.......to go in your new motor

:nono:

image.png.64e1816124e1b597e8f38756d00a37ba.png

You've been prowling in Bear's back garden again....taking piccies of the Bearmobile too.....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning. It's been a wet and windy night here.  

First off, good wishes to Simon and family, I hope that they get to the bottom of what's happenning.  Knowing the area so well I can visualise all your journeys.  

The Farcebook outage caused consternation  in the chateau.  Beth was due to have her usual hour long natter with a friend in Morley.  Whatsapp wouldn't work and Messenger wouldn't either. My suggestion that she picked up the landline phone and rang the friend was not well received. We get free calls to UK landlines.  A similar reaction to Chris's CD situation.  I also like to have a CD player as it saves the hassle of downloading the CD onto the laptop and then uploading to a memory stick.

Anyway a good day was had yesterday and Andy and I put the world to rights whilst watching trains. He supplied cake and a vbottlevof Kreil, I supplied a lift and some coffee.  

Today we arevoff to thevpain clinic in Niort followed by a meal out and then quizzing.  

As to the PC in the Met, I have a lot if sympathy for him.  There is a statutory defence that I'm sure he will be putting forward. I suspect and hope that the jury will see sense.

Regards to all.

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello again. My friends young lad is special education needs. A few weeks ago he told me that when the tests were made before his son was born he was told that there was a one in fifty possibility of Downs Syndrome. I realised that he has some downs features such as a flattened face and small stature and his cousin (on his mothers side of the family) has Downs Syndrome. He has a form of downs known as Mosaic Downs Syndrome, not as severe as full blown Downs.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Thank you for All the good wishes once again it's staggering

I bought some new bedding from Dunelm just to ease the burden of washing. 

More supportive thoughts from damp Derbyshire - one thing to think about though - sooner or later you are going to have to work out how to switch on the washing machine as you can't afford to keep buying clean bedding !!  I know that if I were in the same situation, I would have to get the instruction book out as I have no idea how SWMBO makes the damn thing work. That reminds me of a time when I worked at the University and I was taking notes of a meeting at RAF Cranwell where we were bidding for a contract to give NCO Aircrew a university level qualification based on their RAF training. Our academics were amazed to see that the first line in every instruction manual they gave us was 'Identify on/off switch and turn to on position' - of course turn over a few pages and it got a lot more complicated - a bit like the manual for a washing machine !!

Edited by Mike Bellamy
Spelling
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

5 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

More supportive thoughts from damp Derbyshire - one thing to think about though - sooner or later you are going to have to work out how to switch on the washing machine as you can't afford to keep buying clean bedding !!  I know that if I were in the same situation, I would have to get the instruction book out as I have no idea how SWMBO makes the damn thing work. That reminds me of a time when I worked at the University and I was taking notes of a meeting at RAF Cranwell where we were bidding for a contract to give NCO Aircrew a university level qualification based on their RAF training. Our academics were amazed to see that the first line in every instruction manual they gave us was 'Identify on/off switch and turn to on position' - of course turn over a few pages and it got a lot more complicated - a bit like the manual for a washing machine !!

I can use the machine its a Bosch washer drier with the bad weather I can't line dry it takes time to dry in the tumbler. As I suffer from PTSD I often experience excessive night sweats so the bedding has to be changed daily.

The machine is complicated when you first look at it but is fairly easy to use when you get going

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Mrs NHN made laminated cards about how to drive the washer when I retired.  Not so much the machine, but sorting what gets done at what programme.  Pink or grey undies that started white are not a good thing, apparently.

Although I do use CD's in all our 4 wheel vehicles, in my car I do now tend to use the phone bluetoothed to the stereo.  Oooh, you modern thing, NHN.  Took me bl**dy ages to work out how to do it!

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is sunny here now but was raining earlier. Our meeting with the bank manager had been postponed, she has to take her child to a drive through Covid test. We were happy about moving the appointment. We will use the change of plans to make another tip trip. We are now disposing of stuff we had originally thought may be wanted by charity shops but apparently not. Also I have severely sorted my cable pile. The unwanted cables can go to the appropriate place at the tip. 
The Fiesta did pass its MOT yesterday and the service was straightforward. The video the garage sent was interesting. Everything looked fine. I can remember the days when a nine year old car would be rusty and have loads of leaky bits.

The solar panel survey has been done and we have accepted the quote, and it seems some installers will be on the roof in December.  
Tony 

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, New Haven Neil said:

Although I do use CD's in all our 4 wheel vehicles, in my car I do now tend to use the phone bluetoothed to the stereo

When I first paired a Bluetooth phone to Aditi’s Fiesta, the car started talking to me giving me instructions. It was a bit of a surprise to say the least. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

When I first paired a Bluetooth phone to Aditi’s Fiesta, the car started talking to me giving me instructions. It was a bit of a surprise to say the least. 

My car talks too, which I didn't know when I got it. (Ex-mobility, like Simon explains - low miles, serviced, bargain).  It has several buttons on the steering wheel, I accidentally touched one and it started asking who I wanted to call.  Scared the hell out of me!  It didn't help me link the phone though, nor does it respond to robust language!

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

Morning, dark and wet up here, firstly thoughts with Simon and his family, hope all is sorted out soon.

I too have a talking car, which also has a cd player and a port to plug in a memory stick if required, I use the cd player quite a lot, especially when sat outside a shop when SWMBO is in there, what is of a slight concern is that the manufacturer, Mitsubishi has pulled out of Europe, is selling it's British HQ and is no longer selling new cars here. Hope any warranty/recall is still done in a proper manner.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

My car talks too, which I didn't know when I got it. (Ex-mobility, like Simon explains - low miles, serviced, bargain).  It has several buttons on the steering wheel, I accidentally touched one and it started asking who I wanted to call.  Scared the hell out of me!  It didn't help me link the phone though, nor does it respond to robust language!

My car has a lot of voice controlled options but I have disabled them. I am not normally Luddite in my use of gadgets but the unfortunate incident with voice control while driving in Texas put me off. On that occasion I didn’t even know the hire car sat nav had voice control. Whatever Matthew said to me turned it off just as we were navigating a complicated junction. 

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I can drive the washing machine, it's the duster I have no idea about.  When the kids were younger and Beth had some long spells in hospital the most difficult thing was sorting out what belonged to who. The kids got to know what as coming.  The shout of "time for an ID parade" would go out and they would line up in the dining room.  Each piece was then held up until one claimed it.  The system worked but the kids reckon that they are mentally scarred by the experience.  Methink that they protest too much.

Jamie

Captain Von Trapp Jamie

• Like 4
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

My Mitsubishi dealer has given me a note saying that Mitsubishi UK will be supplying spare parts etc for the next ten years. Shame they have pulled out as I like the Outlander.

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Clear Prop!  Contact!

5 hours ago, chrisf said:

Meanwhile, the new Grace Petrie CD, Connectivity, has arrived. 

Given the context of Chris's post am I the only one to spot a bit of irony in the title of this new CD? :lol:

4 hours ago, The Lurker said:

I was amused that the BBC reported that Facebook had to confirm its outage via Twitter.

I also had a slight chuckle to myself on the irony of this.   

Hang on, it must be "Irony Tuesday" :yahoo:

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Agreed - the PC has had this hanging over him for 5 years now.

Mr Summerson, whose BMW had its flashing lights and a siren on during the chase, pursued the moped through traffic, weaving in and out of cars. At one point he drove on the wrong side of the road, the court heard.

"It is obvious to a careful and competent driver that driving in the way that he did was dangerous," Mr Sandiford told the court.

Driving on the wrong side of the road?  Shock, horror.  The next thing he'll be demanding is that all emergency vehicles on blues & two's obey the speed limits, stop at red lights.....

Maybe he won't think the same if he was being robbed/missus having a heart attack/house is on fire.  Pr1ck

My own view (and with no political intent at all) is that as soon as some little scrotes go on an "outing"   all bets are off and they are fair game for any reasonable tactics to be employed to stop them.     If they end up in a "sub-optimal" condition sobeit.

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Apparently it cost them £10,000 a minute in lost revenue.

He can afford it ...... :D

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's Multiqoute fubarred again.  Must try another browser to see what happens - but what's the betting I'll then be swamped with adverts?

Mine isn't and I'm not :yahoo:

2 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

That reminds me of a time when I worked at the University and I was taking notes of a meeting at RAF Cranwell where we were bidding for a contract to give NCO Aircrew a university level qualification based on their RAF training. Our academics were amazed to see that the first line in every instruction manual they gave us was 'Identify on/off switch and turn to on position' - of course turn over a few pages and it got a lot more complicated - a bit like the manual for a washing machine !!

Having seen, read and maybe even written a few in my time - the good ones are those that have the qualifying warnings and cautions immediately before the action to which they apply.      Who ever reads through all of the W's & C's at the beginning or end of a document?

Bit like the apocryphal story about the bomb disposal instructions ....

Step 28   -  Cut the red wire

Step 29  - Cut the blue wire

Step 30 - Remove the toggle woggle

Note:  Before cutting the red wire ..................

In other news;

Another hospital appointment cancellation.       Another phone call to the Outpatients Appointments Team then!

Cutting more mitres on skirting boards today then - deep joy.        I found when attaching the architrave with "No More Nails"  the other day that I needed to hold it in place with a couple of nails until the "No More Nails" had gone off.   See, it is "Irony Tuesday".   Told you so.

Try and have a good day everyone and best wishes to Simon's wife of course for an improvement in her situation.

Alan

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

…The shout of "time for an ID parade" would go out and they would line up in the dining room….

I want to make it PERFECTLY clear that I have absolutely nothing to do with this bit of heavy handed policing!

iD

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10