The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, polybear said:

How many end up dead/brain damaged

It is American football that is by far the worst for CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy), also a number of heat-related injuries to college and high-school players practicing in August heat for the Autumn season.

Rather than making things safer, the helmets and pads end up making players hit harder resulting in worse injury. Everyone on the offensive and defensive lines hit someone on every play. The cumulative damage may be worse than singularly bad hits.

Officialdom is trying to make the game safer with newish rules but it's pretty much lipstick on a pig. Of course as I type this my television is tuned to a college game.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I've had another five spam e-mails this afternoon. All saying my McAfee account is closed. I know it is because I never opened one in the first place.

I've been getting typically two per day like that on my other email (the one I use for mailing lists), plus two or three 'gillette' free delivery and keep the product, one or two lenor most days, and one which I think is offering free gambling and claims to come from me. Plus the usual two or three per week chinese supplier of injection moulded products. Those latter might be genuine touting for business, but if so $DEITY knows why they might be sending them to me. For the rest, I read the email (if at all) in plain text so their scams/virii are thwarted.

The flavours of the scams seem to come and go, should be due some more foreign bankers soon.

Seems to be par for the course.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

At that price, I expect no one would buy it. I assume this is meant to be £1.599 a litre, which Google tells me is $8.28 per US gallon (more than twice prices here*).

* Including taxes.

Just about THREE times the local price of $2.799 a gallon noted on Thursday.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

2 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

There are a lot of taxes on gas in Oregon. (Some of them fund highways. Our registration is inexpensive compared to states like California.)

According to AAA, national average is $3.188, and in Oregon $3.733.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just been watching a few road accident compilations on YouTube. One that fortunately didn't end in an accident was of a heavily laden bus with passengers hanging onto the roof rack driving the wrong way down a dual carriageway! Now for a muggatee and Farcebook.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Afternoon all 

Well what a day

Started off ok another fence post purchased and set in. Ratchet straps deployed to help pull fence up which worked ok me and eldest went round other side and pushed at fence whilst youngest after some instructions tightened up the ratchet straps 3 bolts fitted. Come to release the ratchet straps they had all twisted up going through the mandrel mechanism had to cut them off. 

Moved on to next post just started drilling when youngest shouted there's something wrong with my Mummy. I looked up and it looked like she was having some form of seizure. I ran yes the adrenaline rush allowed me to run inside and I grabbed her together with the eldest we laid her on the floor in the recovery position and kept her away from hurting herself on the kitchen whilst youngest used my phone to ring 999. She is currently in Pinderfields Hospital 

Jeeks Simon, I hope all is o.k..

All the best.

• Agree 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It is American football that is by far the worst for CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy), also a number of heat-related injuries to college and high-school players practicing in August heat for the Autumn season.

AFL seems to be more of a testosterone display.  Yes there are some nasty injuries (as there are in many sports) but the worst that happens most of the time is someone's ego bubble gets burst and they have some sort of meltdown across the antisocial media. ;)  

Besides that how does one take a corner kick on an oval? :jester:  

• Like 5
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, chrisf said:

I nipped out before breakfast to top up my tank, for I believe it to be good practice when setting off on a long journey to do so with a full tank.

I had a long trip to do yesterday so I went for my usual top up during vehicle pre-check on Thursday morning. Only two cars in the 12-pump local Tess CO2. Where I was today the two petrol stations in the town both had queues onto the road. Don't know where they all came from as the local popularion is only about 3000.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

2 hours ago, PeterBB said:

Coombe Barton John - your comment on the train whistle from long ago triggered the fact that in our new abode at times we can now hear trains as they cross the bridge in a similar vein to Drumhill in Derbyshire - that latter place is great but the noise from the A38 a way down below ...

Simon - yes, agree hope the recovery is full but well done the young lad who shouted that led to immediate action.

If you're quoting a post, please use the Quote or Multi-Quote function afforded on this forum so that we can all relate to that of which you write!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

At that price, I expect no one would buy it. I assume this is meant to be £1.599 a litre, which Google tells me is $8.28 per US gallon (more than twice prices here*).

* Including taxes.

Yeah, likewise .

I never thought ours was particularly cheap but the current average price of E95 in Sydney works out at 88pence per litre. Makes me want to take the  V8 ute out just to use some up but we are in forever lockdown and I can't leave my local government area.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

According to AAA, national average is $3.188, and in Oregon $3.733.

Here in the Lower Mainland of BC, around Vancouver, we regularly have the highest gas prices in North America (but not in the same league as UK prices). Earlier this year, we broke the all-time record:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/gas-prices-record-officially-broken

At current exchange rates, that’s about $5.50 US per US gallon (and almost exactly 1GBP per litre).

• Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pH said:

Here in the Lower Mainland of BC, around Vancouver, we regularly have the highest gas prices in North America (but not in the same league as UK prices). Earlier this year, we broke the all-time record:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/gas-prices-record-officially-broken

At current exchange rates, that’s about $5.50 US per US gallon (and almost exactly 1GBP per litre).

It was that price or slightly less here in the UK about 12 months ago (99.99p per litre) but now is £1.33.9 per litre at the local supermarkets.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well after this morning’s brief look in, it’s been very busy here, as in what has now become the norm for a Saturday, we had Ava round for the day. The first thing we did when she got here was to make a tray of rocky road cake. When that was done, Ava helped me make the base for a salted caramel cheesecake, which will be tomorrow nights dessert when James and Amelia come round for tea. We then made a muggertea and went into the dining room to continue working on the engine shed. Today we have been assembling doors, well to be honest, I was cutting out the parts for the doors, whilst Ava was glued all the parts together and a very good job she has done of them too. She also glued some more parts to card ready for cutting out during our session next Saturday. 

Whenever Ava was here, I don’t use the computer etc, as I think it very rude to be browsing in the internet when you have guests, so the iPad remained on the coffee table all day, I only picked it up after she had gone home. One of my pet hates is seeing people staring at their phones and ignoring the kids/family/friends etc. I especially loathe phones at the table, in our house, phones are banned completely from the table, no exceptions. 

Simon. I hope your wife gets better soon. 

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Greetings!  Bless my soul, it is early

The journey from Bedford to near Melton Constable is about 110 miles each way.  It enabled me to attend one of the fragments of Scaleforum.  The return leg was speedier than the outward run, even allowing for breakfast at Peterborough Services.  The event was not as well attended as it might have been but worthwhile nonetheless.  There was no miracle cure for my confidence issues and nor did I expect one.  I did come home with some useful tips about one technique employed in m*d*ll*ng, having managed to ask some suitably intelligent questions of the demonstrator.  Above all there was plenty of tea!  Music on the journey came from the young concertina player Cohen Braithwaite-Kilcoyne and the sublime guitarist Martin Simpson.

The only certain thing about today is that I shall have gammon steak for lunch.  ITV have managed to find another James Bond film to show and the possibility of a brief spell in the jungle cannot be ruled out.  One job that needs doing is the writing of a letter to an editor.  It is for the greater good, naturally.

Best wishes to all

Chris   

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It was that price or slightly less here in the UK about 12 months ago (99.99p per litre) but now is £1.33.9 per litre at the local supermarkets.

During lockdown one, diesel prices went down to the equivalent of 97p per litre. They're now back up to €1.44 which works out at £1.23p per litre.

Prayers and thoughts to Simon, I hope that your wife is on the mend and getting good care.

Here we survived our trip to Lomoges airport to pick up our friend Joanne. She lost her husband in Nov 2019 and this is the first time that she's stayed on her own in their house over here. She seemed to be in a really good place and had dinner with us.  I did my Sir Galahad act and got her Internet and phone working for her. Unplug and then re power the router worked a treat.  Oh that all problems were so easy to solve. More importantly she brought a little packet marked Slater's over with her.

Off to the market this morning. Then a roast Pintard (Guinea Fowl) for lunch followed by plum crumble. Joanne will be joining us plus another friend whose partner is visiting relatives in Toronto.

Time to go and let the chickens out.

TTFN.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, inner temple Hare.

Yesterday's eyelid inspection turned out to be an extended one of nearly 2 hours, this was followed by nearly 7 hours of solid overnight sleep.

Yes the fuel price was £1.599 in my befuddled post 417mile state I didn't notice the typo.

If I had known how stupid the public would be over petrol I would have come home the day before. Therefore I could have crossed paths with ChrisF at the show instead on merely on KL bypass.

Thoughts on the visit.

As it was warm, we had to have the windows open , the noise of a large town did not encourage a good nights sleep.

It obvious what many were doing in lockdown. The estate my parents are on and the two adjoining estates, are comparatively modern,  built 1975-1990. We were the second family in on the first to be built estate.

The houses are built with very small gardens, and large amounts of grass between. That grass is now smaller. As over lockdown many fences have been renewed "accidentally" gaining up to a fence panel worth of the grass area.. one was really obvious as they had pushed the fence out in a big curve, every other fence line is in a straight line.

The other thing they have been doing is building sheds , often big sheds.... Taking up to half the back garden.

One really odd shed, is built onto the back of the house, completely across the living room window, the shed having no windows but a corrugated plastic semi clear roof... You may wonder how we can see this, but those that have been to the steam Railway at Bo'ness know most of the town is on a steep slope. So the path we were walking on was only 60ft from the houses but up to 20ft above their ground level.

My youngest sister spent lock down working on her garden.  Last week she chopped down some leylandii. She  now has a collection of "finds" two of which I identified for her, one was a pin for holding down flat bottomed track directly to a sleeper.

It was not for full sized track. Bo'ness at one time had over 20 mines and various other industrial works including a still going iron works. So the pin probably came from one of them.

The other I identified was the remains of a CB wire wound aerial as visited by a lawnmower.

In the house she had various fossils found in the garden, a George 3rd halfpenny and a Napoleon 3rd coin of a similar size. Bo'ness was once a busy port so  the French coin probably came via there.

Plans for today.. not a lot, probably drive the mower up and down a bit..

Time to think of a muggacoffee and breakfast.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Misty out there, visibility less than 400 yards heavy dew, hopefully when the great fried egg does its stuff then I can mow the grass.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

If you're quoting a post, please use the Quote or Multi-Quote function afforded on this forum so that we can all relate to that of which you write!

The item Peter referred to wasn't actually on RMweb but was part of John's personal blog that he links to each day. I have copied the extract below

Echoes of childhood this evening. On the local preserved railway preserved GWR 6989 Wightwick Hall is running services this weekend. As the sun was going down I could hear it whistle from the line that runs half a mile away. The link to my childhood is that from 1958 to 1963 we used to live overlooking the River Plym at Laira, and the main line runs alongside the river. We used to hear, not see the trains in and out of Plymouth, and the whistle today was a reminder of sixty years ago.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3