The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I think that ironing jeans is right up there with peeling grapes and polishing the insteps of shoes as being among the more pointless exercises undertaken by mankind.

Dave

Bear is but a mere trendsetter in the world of fashion.

Vogue here I come.....

In other news.....

Jeans to iron......

Parcels to post - sales made via the 'bay, neither of which set the world on fire but I had no need for either and the money & space is a useful alternative.

Flu' Jab later - hopefully with no side-effects.

Kitchen electrics to do - fitting the sockets and a light switch

And finally.....

Bear has now acquired a blank white bar at the top of the RMWeb page, where others are seeing adverts.  I can live with that, but it does suggest that the Advert Demons are mounting a counter-offensive against the Firefox ad-blockers

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a cloudy and grey Charente.  The Supermarket was visited and in the afternoon  I got my hair cut.  I did manage some hedge trimming in between.  Not a lot else got done.

Some wood cutting to do this morning then a car load of stuff to take to a charity.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

I’m up earlier than usual as I have to be at ‘The Christie’ for 9:10 this morning and as I only just made last week’s blood letting appointment, my plan is to leave early to hopefully avoid being late. If I do arrive too early, then I shall sit in the car and read a magazine (I always take a magazine with me to hospital appointments) for a few minutes. As my appointment is quite early, I’m hoping to be back home before 11 o’clock, in time for my mid morning muggertea. After that there is nothing on the agenda, although a trip to the garden centre at Bridgewater Hall has been mentioned. If we do go, know doubt the plastic will get a bashing. 

Back later

PS. Chris, violas look a bit like miniature pansies, there definitely NOT musical instruments!

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I think that ironing jeans is right up there with peeling grapes and polishing the insteps of shoes as being among the more pointless exercises undertaken by mankind.

Dave

10 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I've hardly worn any 'slacks' or other dress trousers since pre-pandemic. I think I had an occasion to wear a pair of chinos/khakis one time. 

I think the last time I polished my leather shoes and wore full formal clothing was Mom's funeral in 2015.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I wonder if the Invision software could cope with more levels of membership, Gold gets you ad free and all the magazine content, silver gets you ad free , bronze gets you adverts. 

Somewhere in the 360 postings across 15 pages on the 'Advertising' topic, Andy has said that although 'Gold' members don't see any adverts, they are looking into a 'Silver' option which does not have all the extra features such as access to a digital subscription to BRM but would have reduced advertising - perhaps just down the side and without the top and bottom banners. He also said that another option would be to reduce the adverts for those who were registered with RMweb - or increase the adverts for those who are not registered - presumably this would then also apply to those who view the forum without bothering to log in each time.

2 hours ago, chrisf said:

The good news reminds me that I really should buy a 2022 diary as there is now plenty to put in it.  What's the betting that they are not yet on sale?

Surely obstructing the highway is an offence?  Let them be thrown into gaol!

2022 diaries are available but as my wife wants one that is 'spiral bound' rather than hardbacked, we have been in and out of many shops and still not found one that she's happy with !  One thing to note is that all the shops are full of 'Academic' diaries running from September to August but now that schools and colleges are starting back, hopefully they will soon disappear and more 'proper' diaries will be available.

Not only is obstructing the highway an offence, but so is being a pedestrian on a motorway except in an emergency - I saw a report where some protesters were waiting on the hard shoulder for a gap in traffic to then go and block the road - sounds like attempted suicide but who would be to blame in an accident . . . . . . . 

• Like 6
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is sunny here today. Another day of loft clearing to look forward to. Quite a lot of cardboard is on the front lawn for the bin men to take. Lots of pink recycling sacks too. The only bin lorry so far has been the food waste truck. We have enough glass to make it worth putting the glass box out too. While tidying the loft I found a bottle of wine. The label had dropped off. It was originally French white but it looked murky. The cork just crumbled, it cleaned the drains I suppose. 

• Like 10
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

One of the worklights I have been using in the loft failed yesterday. I thought that at least I had prepared for this by previously purchasing some led replacements.  It was then that I realised as I unpacked the new bulb that the label said R7S not as I thought R78. The R7S in the packet were 118mm long not the 78mm I had hoped for.  I did find a spare halogen bulb in the garage so no excuse for not continuing to clear the loft. The 118mm leds will fit in another lamp I have in the garage. I have ordered a 78mm led ready for next replacement of loft bulbs. I have also ordered a “bump” cap.  I clouted my head yesterday exactly where there are stitches. It was rather painful. Stitches held and the wound didn’t bleed. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I think the last time I polished my leather shoes and wore full formal clothing was Mom's funeral in 2015.

I wear a suit and tie each year for the village ceremony at the cenotaph on 11th November. 

Jamie

• Like 18

17 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I wear a suit and tie each year for the village ceremony at the cenotaph on 11th November. 

Jamie

Morning all

For me the suit only tends to come out for funerals these days but even then I often just wear a dark jacket and trousers. I think the days of men wearing what amounted to a uniform to go to the office may at last be dying out. The good thing about working in television was that, if you were behind the camera, smart(ish) casual was the general rule. It made sense because, even as a director, you often ended up humping bits of kit around (usually the tripod or a hand lamp) and getting into odd places looking for shots. That was even more so for the crew of course. 

Sunny in W.London so time for the daily walk I think before it changes its mind.

Have a nice day :unsure: 

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Ooh.. the irritating white advert bar across the top has disappeared...

How did you manage that?!!  I tightened down my Firefox security settings but all that managed to do was block the ads' content and just leave that irritating blank white advert bar across the top that takes up a quarter of the screen...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

Morning, flying visit, not caught up but hope all are well and send best wishes to all, I'm mainly a taxi driver this week taking SWMBO rellies round the sights, so far Perth, St.Andrews, Pitlochry and today Stonehaven, looks like rain may spoil todays trip, but skin is waterproof to a certain degree, take care all and enjoy your week.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

Greetings all from LBG where the sun has come out and it is rather a pleasant day. What a pity I am in the office then, without even the walk back from Mrs Lurker's school to home during which to enjoy the sun.

Yes, the office, where business dress is sort of de rigeur (!) and my suit is having an outing. No tie though. I think that is probably what is regarded "business casual". As for "smart casual", that for me does not compute - surely one is either smart or casual. Maybe that's the sort of get up for which Bear has to iron his jeans.

Main point on the agenda was delivering training to people who have forgotten how to complete various year end schedules, or where there was lousy handover so they have never learned. This session was for people who are at the early end of the world; the Aussies were there in force, as were the Filipinos. Not sure whether the guy from PNG made it.

Tomorrow we do a session at the opposite end of the day for the North and South Americans.

Of course one advantage of being in the office is that the ad blockers tend to work much better without any action on my part! Mind you, that does more or less seem to be "it" for advantages today!

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

From school through several jobs, for over 40 years a uniform had to be worn, even if it was hard hat and overalls. It really doesn't bother me wearing special clothes for work. For all but 6 years of that, a tie was required as well. So I have a large collection of ties that mean something to me.

But now..

I wear a white lab coat at work, a tie is not appropriate as it might dip into the oil bath.

Black suit for unfortunate occasions. Or where kilt would not be appropriate.

Various levels of up to full formal kilt for happier occasions.

Which includes sailing club, MRC  and works dinners. So fully suited and booted or kilted about half a dozen times a year.

Meanwhile.. I did nothing to remove the white bar at the top it just disappeared on its own.

I've come to a conclusion I'll make my own through deck bushes from half inch copper pipe. Cost in materials nil, as I have some lying around. I do get the opportunity to buy some dome headed toys tools to round the exits with, at half the price of buying the through decks required.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Not only is obstructing the highway an offence, but so is being a pedestrian on a motorway except in an emergency - I saw a report where some protesters were waiting on the hard shoulder for a gap in traffic to then go and block the road - sounds like attempted suicide but who would be to blame in an accident . . . . . . . 

Well it seems that an injunction has been granted to prevent the great unwashed from blocking the M25:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-58649286

:clapping:

Oh, hang on a minute....it only applies to the Mickey 2-5.  So what'll happen now?  M1, M11, M6, A1M....

FFS.  Are the Ar5ebadgers that rule us really that f.stupid?  No need to answer that one.....

In other news....

Jeans ironed.....:clapping:

Then it was onto fitting the new sockets etc. to the kitchen; some fiddling was required due to the thickness of the tiles making fixing screws too short - and the long screws I had in stock just a bit too long so need cutting down.  2/3rds done, more to do.  The good news (very good in fact) is that the socket that Bear was unhappy with as it was slightly higher than those next to it has now been fitted so that any difference is barely noticeable, if at all.  Bear happy.

Now it's time to go and get speared for the Flu Jab.  Yippee.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I get people have a right to complain/demonstrate, in this case the actual cause of the upset (ie lack of any action to curb destruction of the planet) is something that should concern us all, but to do said action in a way that is both directly and indirectly putting others at risk is not acceptable. Blocking access to roads can and no doubt will contribute to someone suffering, no ideal can compromise that, however justified people might think. I'd like the planet to be left in a fit state for my Grandchildren, but there has to be a better way of raising the matter than closing public access to hospitals and other vital services.

• Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mark C said:

How did you manage that?!!  I tightened down my Firefox security settings but all that managed to do was block the ads' content and just leave that irritating blank white advert bar across the top that takes up a quarter of the screen...

I've got a 1" high white bar on my laptop, running Edge, no content though. I get ads top and bottom on my tablet and the full page thing pops up the first time I click on a notification each session.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

I still can't understand why an injunction is required for these eco nutcases surely the fact that they are on the motorway on foot for a non emergency reason is enough or under public order legislation perhaps Jamie could enlighten us

Not wishing to preempt Jamie but I would suspect the injunction is against the organisation, because an organisation can't be arrested but penalties can be levied on one. So for example if it has assets, physical or financial they could be confiscated in lieu of fines etc. By getting an injunction the penalties that can be imposed are more widespread than if one member of the organisation was arrested.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2