The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

A'noon all. Been working from home yesterday and today. And after just a fortnight, they managed to enable simultaneous internet and VPN access on the laptop I was given, too. Up until today, I could use only either one but not both at the same time. Wow.

Having read reports about the following incident...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/21/petrol-station-worker-killed-in-germany-after-face-mask-row

…where a 49-year-old (in illegal possession of firearms) shot and killed a 20-year-old petrol station assistant in cold blood after having been told to wear a face mask makes me wish for someone to conveniently lose the key to the bloke's cell so that he may stay in gaol for a good, long time. Radicals like him don't do anything below scorched earth level, eh? :butcher:

Sickening.

Be safe, all...

• Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Ad blocker under test on the desktop.  But I haven't been able to find one which will work on the iPhone and remove the banners and ads from in front of the page allowing me to view and use it.  

4 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

apparently the hollow piers of the Wharncliffe viaduct are home to London's largest bat colonies

The same is claimed for the disused railway tunnels at Highgate which were once LNER but which should have become the Northern Line tube.  The history of why they never did has been told where it matters. 

7 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

In El Dalvador they sell some super strength hair gel called Gorilla Sn0t.

In Australia they sell something called Bullfrog Snot.  It's designed to improve adhesion for tiny wheeled objects of desire ;) 

They also sell something called Kangaroo Poo which along with Sex Wax is a product used by surfers for their boards.  

4 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Act like a politician. If you break the rules you imposed just tell everyone that they were really just advice or guidance. 

Too darned true.  Further comment will have me surgically removed from Andy's House.  

8 hours ago, polybear said:

Is any mention of railway modelling breaking the "rules" actually breaking the rules?  Bear confused....

The Rules of ERs are the same as those of Mornington Crescent, for those playing at home.  :jester: 

15 hours ago, southern42 said:

Condolences to Dave, sister and family. Sorry for your loss.

Last because I am working backwards from the most recent posts, but most importantly, what she said.  Sorry for your loss.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

With the way supplies are going at the moment, is Bear a good alternative to turkey?

Just about anything is a good alternative to turkey …….

The most over-rated meat IMHO!

Never tasted bear  :nono:

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Never tasted bear

Neither have I. After a trip to Finland my son commented about the availability of bear meat. He said he hadn’t tried it and that it was popular with the Russian tourists in Helsinki. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

But I haven't been able to find one which will work on the iPhone and remove the banners and ads from in front of the page allowing me to view and use it.  

For browsing sites with lots of ads the easiest way would be to view them on your iPhone using a browser like Edge or Chrome that have built in ad blockers. (You do have to select them from a settings menu). I used to use the Edge one until I took out the Gold subscription. At that time it wasn’t the quantity of adverts it was the content being promoted I didn’t like. I was quite happy with appropriate adverts.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

5 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

apparently the hollow piers of the Wharncliffe viaduct are home to London's largest bat colonies

The same is claimed for the disused railway tunnels at Highgate which were once LNER but which should have become the Northern Line tube.  The history of why they never did has been told where it matters. 

We used to refer to the former Up Empty Carriage line tunnel at Camden as the Bat Cave. 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Not seen it. Would that be a man eating bear meat or a man-eating bear eating a man?

If I answered that it would be considered a spoiler but the intention of one was to eat the other but the result wasn’t what the original attacker planned. The bear didn’t win the Oscar though. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

57 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Ad blocker under test on the desktop.  But I haven't been able to find one which will work on the iPhone and remove the banners and ads from in front of the page allowing me to view and use it.  

In Australia they sell something called Bullfrog Snot.  It's designed to improve adhesion for tiny wheeled objects of desire ;) 

They also sell something called Kangaroo Poo which along with Sex Wax is a product used by surfers for their boards.  

Too darned true.  Further comment will have me surgically removed from Andy's House.  

The Rules of ERs are the same as those of Mornington Crescent, for those playing at home.  :jester: 

Last because I am working backwards from the most recent posts, but most importantly, what she said.  Sorry for your loss.  

This is what I'm getting Rick, almost at the point of giving up now. I have messaged Andy Y.

IMG_5807.JPG.009eca54b9b38bb2da0a813ba6d48700.JPG

• Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

With the way supplies are going at the moment, is Bear a good alternative to turkey?

:nono:

50 minutes ago, NGT6 1315 said:

.........makes me wish for someone to conveniently lose the key to the bloke's cell so that he may stay in gaol for a good, long time.

And forget to feed 'em at the same time.  Should do the trick - why waste money?

46 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Bear concurs; Bear's last Chrimbo din dins was home-made pizza - with roast spuds, naturally.....tradition n' all that......

In other news:

A bit of kitchen work - though never did get around to wiring up the sockets.  Why?  Cos' Bear was doing the washing, which meant that turning off the ring main wasn't a good idea....

Not long been back from lunch with the guys at the cafe; this was preceded by yet more cardboard disposed of (up until now I've been saving - and using - it to protect the granite worktops during various kitchen works).  Now that the walls are tiled I've been able to get rid of a load more; I do still have some serious bits for the outstanding jobs, which will also come in handy when I start on the lounge refurb.

Ironing the jeans can wait until tomorrow - when I have a kitchen socket to plug the iron into....

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear's Film Tip of the Day:

"Green Book" - I recorded this several weeks ago off the telly, so there's a pretty good chance it'll reappear again soon.

Green Book is a 2018 American biographical comedy-drama film directed by Peter Farrelly. Set in 1962, the film is inspired by the true story of a tour of the Deep South by African American classical and jazz pianist Don Shirley and Italian American bouncer Frank "Tony Lip" Vallelonga who served as Shirley's driver and bodyguard. The film was written by Farrelly, Brian Hayes Currie and Vallelonga's son, Nick Vallelonga, based on interviews with his father and Shirley, as well as letters his father wrote to his mother.[6] The film is named after The Motorist Green Book, a mid-20th century guidebook for African-American travelers written by Victor Hugo Green.

Recommended.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Afternoon all 

My arms are ripped to shreds due to battling the pyracanthus hedge again

All the branches at the back of the hedge have been trimmed to enable the fence to be pulled/pushed to vertica. I have also managed to bang in another fence spike

Tomorrow will be a trip in to the garage to find the ratchet straps that were put in a safe place in there and my socket set and to see what coach screws I have in stock. I need a couple of short ones to secure post into the spike socket and then  some longer ones to fasten new post to new

• Friendly/supportive 14

Returned from AWOL and a few days away in a far off land - well, Wisconsin, that counts as "far off" according to us here in MN :) :jester:

Great trip, we went out and back on "roads less travelled", eschewing Freeways for quieter/quainter/more interesting routes. Driving those roads with little or no traffic mid-week is a pleasure. Also provides the ability to stop at non-fast food places for sustenance, which didn't disappoint.

The B&B the Mrs had located in Wisconsin Rapids was simply delightful, the owner Faye and Bill perfect hosts - added to the fact we were the only people there we had the run of the place.

Included are pictures, for enjoyment or to be skipped if you prefer ;)

"Le Chateau" from the street
20210915_LeChateauOutsideSmall.jpg.c217998e95075564549df63821e005d5.jpg

the entire top level is the owners residence, our bedroom was the left turret second level.

20210914_LeChateauBedroomSmall.jpg.7421f5c408601b30ebe7ba23784586ce.jpg

There were two lounges for guests, a smaller library on the second floor where 5 of the guest bedrooms are and a large one on the main floor;

20210914_LeChateauLoungeSmall.jpg.6c8cf734a14213741f37313e93edb7d0.jpg

The Breakfast part of the B&B was superb, Faye making it all herself, a four course spread each day with different offerings, in the dining room;

20210914_LeChateauDiningSmall.jpg.bcdfd4e81b8716233e7c419a34830ee4.jpg

We found plenty to interest us, the Cranberry farm being a special highlight.

It's too early yet - the tours are usually only given during harvest time, a few weeks away - BUT, this particular farm is owned by a lifelong friend of the lady whose daughter the Mrs tutored/cared for.

So we got the royal treatment - a private 2-hour tour by the owner, Mary, herself. It was amazingly educational, who knew growing cranberries was so complicated and interesting!

Won't bore you with the details, it'd take pages :) but if anyone has questions I feel I could now provide educated answers...

Two facts though;

1) Wisconsin is the #1 world producer of Cranberries, almost ALL of that production in the area around Wisconsin Rapids where we were.

2) Contrary to popular belief they are NOT grown in bogs/marshes/flooded fields. They are vines that grow in a very sandy soil!

Here's a small section of a vine, showing the more ripened red berries that are closer to the top of the vine cover and the still to ripen yellower ones that are under some of the vine growth.

20210915_CranberriesSmall.jpg.7e9503f3f865ff71efd314df3974c52f.jpg

The vines are a carpet like growth that spread out close to the ground - the background of the picture is a vine field.

Back now and working again - yay! :O

Weather starting to become quite autumnal here, 10 first thing and sunny, only going to make 18 for the high, then 6 overnight forecast!

Tally ho.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I use Chrome as my normal browser and ad blocking is set in settings but was still getting plagued by adds as I said yesterday I downloaded an ad blocker 

I wonder if the advert server has been modified somehow to circumvent ad blockers. The adserver is I think Google Ads. Chrome is a Google product. 
The Edge browser also has an ad blocker that used to work.  However Edge and Chrome are both based on something called Chromium so I don’t know how different it is. 
I wonder if the Invision software could cope with more levels of membership, Gold gets you ad free and all the magazine content, silver gets you ad free , bronze gets you adverts. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Nothing seemed to happen with regard to shut down of IT services that we were warned about. I have had a couple more spam e-mails, with the same spelling mistakes. One went straight to spam and the other I added to the blocked e-mail list.

2 hours ago, PupCam said:

The most over-rated meat IMHO!

Never tasted bear  :nono:

I agree totally with that. The wild turkey is totally different creature to the ones bred for slaughter which would not survive or be able to breed without human assistance. For my Christmas dinner last year I had venison from culled wild herds. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

We used to refer to the former Up Empty Carriage line tunnel at Camden as the Bat Cave. 

I know it as the Rat Hole. It certainly felt more like a hole than a cave when passing through. Still there, of course, but it’s been trackless for many years. 

• Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

This is what I'm getting Rick, almost at the point of giving up now. I have messaged Andy Y.

IMG_5807.JPG.009eca54b9b38bb2da0a813ba6d48700.JPG

Very similar on the desktop (Mac) here and well beyond the point of frustration and what I think of as reasonable advertising. 

The phone however gets totally covered by ads seemingly with no x to turn them off and with a rectangular white box - which looks as though it should contain an advert - right across the control buttons at the top. 

All of this combined is making site access difficult and enjoyment minimal. 

Dom has kindly pm’d me with some thoughts but I shall need to translate them into Plain English first due to my lack of fluency in some technological respects. 

Stay well. 

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

For my Christmas dinner last year I had venison from culled wild herds. 

Bambi's Momma.....:cry:

In other news......

Has iD adopted his CC persona and on a secret mission of doom?  He appears to have gone AWOL.....

• Like 11