The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There is such a site, started by HH called 'The Night Mail'.

And of course there are clues, should one choose to look for them.

There HH opines:

On 01/07/2020 at 11:18, Happy Hippo said:

Third question:  Would it kill off the original ERs?

And follows that thought with the observation in his first 'Night Mail' post:

On 02/07/2020 at 12:59, Happy Hippo said:

The Night Mail is the antidote for Early Risers and for those who don't have to get up so early!

I took a hiatus from ERs in late July 2020 but eventually chose to return, looking for the sense of community that can be found here.

The pandemic has been hard on all of us. I believe it lessens our patience, particularly online.

Many have turned away, each for their own reasons.

I'm not trying to make any sort of point, other than identify a time of origin - coincidentally in the early very stressful stage of the pandemic. Many of us here also post in "The Night Mail". I haven't, but not for any particular reason, other than I just kept coming back here.

1 hour ago, brianusa said:

Does this mean an en masse move from ER?:scared:

An interesting question, and foreseen.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, PupCam said:

Puppers is, as a relative new-comer to ER, now very confused about what is and what isn't "permitted" in ER. 

There are no hard and fast "rules" - other than avoiding discussion of "third-rail" topics like politics* and religion. We essentially decide for ourselves what is appropriate.

* Which frankly I see breached all the time, and am quite convinced is directly related to some participants moving on.

In spirit, "Wheeltappers" is not the place for railway discussion per the guideline:

The non-railway and non-modelling social zone.

There are other parts of the forum better suited for this. I interpret this to mean I should not launch in detail on a topic, for example, of the details of GWR slip coaches and why I think they present an attractive subject for a commercial model.

Talking about what happens during our day, if it happens to involve some modelling, playing with trains or visiting a heritage railway shouldn't be out of bounds. Cryptic references to "r*****y m*******g" are silly, in my opinion.

We have had participants who have liked to 'call out' railway modelling references as a sort of running gag. It's not a "rule". Others have interpreted this very seriously.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

Ben the alarm clock Collie was an hour early this morning, and was quite insistent.. so we've been out, breakfast has been had ...ok now the black banner with someone has replied has come up. It's refusing to go away, and is over the typing screen making life difficult..

Ah finally it responded to several more finger pokes...

Breezy and cool outside.

Ben has returned to snoring.. so I think shall I.

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, brianusa said:

Does this mean an en masse move from ER?:scared:

Brian.

Nah...it just doubles the scope for causing mischief.....:biggrin_mini2:

7 hours ago, laurenceb said:

"5 people have looked at this recently " I wonder how many are ER's

Bear could be lined up for commission at this rate.

26 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There are no hard and fast "rules" - other than avoiding discussion of "third-rail" topics like politics* and religion. We essentially decide for ourselves what is appropriate.

* Which frankly I see breached all the time, and am quite convinced is directly related to some participants moving on.

In spirit, "Wheeltappers" is not the place for railway discussion per the guideline:

There are other parts of the forum better suited for this. I interpret this to mean I should not launch in detail on a topic, for example, of the details of GWR slip coaches and why I think they present an attractive subject for a commercial model.

Talking about what happens during our day, if it happens to involve some modelling, playing with trains or visiting a heritage railway shouldn't be out of bounds. Cryptic references to "r*****y m*******g" are silly, in my opinion.

We have had participants who have liked to 'call out' railway modelling references as a sort of running gag. It's not a "rule". Others have interpreted this very seriously.

Is any mention of railway modelling breaking the "rules" actually breaking the rules?  Bear confused....

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PupCam said:

1) Last two new fence panels Creocoted,

Both sides I trust?

5) There was some discussion on wing warping / ailerons arising from Flavio's (where's he gone?) aeronautical quiz the other day.    I came across this video today.  I know the chap has been building this 65% scale machine for a while - how good does that look and sound in the air!   WIng warping and a very small "All-Flying" rudder, oh what fun.

Now getting a whack on the finger from that prop most definitely wouldn't be funny......

If so, I'll have to offer my WiFi system to @polybear when its finished,

Oh good - there was a rather nice Class 08 (it's OK lads - and ladies - it's a green one, so just scrapes in....) as a part of the system.....:yahoo:

In other news

Ten seconds ago Bear's multi-quote function worked....Puppers comes along and busts it......

I had to use the single quote thingummy for this post....

Bear's fun of the day includes doing the washing, plus a pair of jeans to iron.  Yippee.....

Then it'll be onto more interesting things like wiring up the kitchen sockets, and then hopefully fitting the led lamps to the undersides of the wall units; some consideration will be required regarding hiding the wiring though, which could be a pain to do.  Whilst any exposed wiring would only be visible if you were to look "up and under" I'd much rather it were totally hidden.  Engaging ponder mode may be necessary on this one.

I also await a phone call from one of the Model Engineering Buddies to see if the lunchtime meet-up at the Cafe is on for today.  Conversion may well fall into the non-pc category....

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, laurenceb said:

"5 people have looked at this recently " I wonder how many are ER's

In El Dalvador they sell some super strength hair gel called Gorilla Sn0t.  It even has an appropriate graphic on the tub.

Jamie

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a rather grey looking, but not wet place.  A largevpart of the dining room was tidied yesterday and there is even a rumour that a table can be seen.  There is a pile in the shed for the charity shop and the trailer got a bit fuller. The battle will resume in due course.

Today the firstvitem will be the supermarket.  This afternoon I will be going to see the fair Veronique  to get my wavy locks trimmed.  Not an unpleasant  prospect.  I might even spend some time in the shed or I might even procrstinate a rather fiddly task that involves thin brass wire and a smouldering iron.

Jamie

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Up a tiny bit earlier as I will be incommunicado for most of the day until four at least. The car needs a good clean and I need to do some shopping. I am fortunate that although my energy prices are going to rise they are not going up as much as they could or indeed as much as the majority of energy companies. This is due to my supplier 'buying in' gas supplies during the summer, one of the few suppliers to do so. Now to get through some more of RMweb before Virgin Media pull the plug.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, 45156 said:

Offer on one house both houses accepted

So now we're in a quandry - luckily, the car is full of go juice, and 30747 has a couple of days off, so we can get Lily into kennels this morning, and do another 400 mile round trip tomorrow to decide which one to go for - you would think that we would be really happy, but we are so tired of it all, that it just hasn't sunk in how strong a position we're in now.

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

We've had some overnight rain, but the sun is now shining. So I shall shortly head out and start painting the fireplace, I’m hoping to get 2 more coats of primer on the back and at least 1 coat of primer on the front. In between coats of paint I shall do some small gardening tasks, as I have a couple of trays of winter violas to plant up, so that should keep me out of mischief for a while.

Back later.

Brian 

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 2

Greetings all from a Sidcup where the sun has made a welcome reappearance after several days' absence. It was cold when I took Younger Lurker to school a couple of hours ago but it has now warmed up and the jumper is off!

Today is another day at work, dealing with the side effects of internal politics. Here is a welcome break, even when we discuss the delicate topic of whether to mention a train or not. I for one am quite happy with people's approach - whether they want to mention modelling briefly or whether they post in fear of Debs swooping down and causing them pain in the unmentionables with her awl. It's all part of sharing and supporting.

Have a good day all

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Another day of loft clearing beckons. Yesterday was the point where I could perhaps see enough progress to encourage me to continue. I may leave a couple of areas for later clearance as they are not anywhere under where solar panel installers or surveyors would need to inspect. I looked up a few “how are solar panels installed” and at least on the videos I saw the surveyor needs to see the roof beams and measure the spacing. One of the problems is that so much stuff in the loft had been put in Tesco bags which have recycled themselves into flaky bits. They did this in the absence of sunlight too. I spent ages yesterday dragging lots of geography teaching materials and books out of the loft. Aditi had stored them up there years ago when she stopped teaching geography. I think she hoped that the college might start again but it didn’t, hence her subsequent career as a sociology lecturer. 
I don’t think we need to go to the tip today. There is a lot of cardboard but not so much as to be a problem with the recycling collection tomorrow. Having removed the geography layer I think there are about four 50litre plastic storage boxes of cuddly toys to move before the next mystery pile. 
Tony

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I think there are about four 50litre plastic storage boxes of cuddly toys to move .......

Remember - a Bear is for life, not just for Chr*stmas.......

Bear is watching....and I suspect Grizz too.  Awl?  S'nuffink to what we have available.....

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Remember - a Bear is for life, not just for Chr*stmas.......

Bear is watching....and I suspect Grizz too.  Awl?  S'nuffink to what we have available.....

Don’t worry, the cuddly toys won’t be going to the tip. There are a few that never made it to the loft and have a comfortable retirement in the study. 

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

With the way supplies are going at the moment, is Bear a good alternative to turkey?

Have you seen “The Revenant “ film? There is a man eating bear scene.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1