The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

41 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There is such a site, started by HH called 'The Night Mail'.

46 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

I know some of you have your own sites and perhaps H.H site may, with his permission, allow us post there.

Robert

I know a good number of ERs post there but not all know about it. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I found it quite by chance.

It is deliberately  in The Modelling Musings and Miscellany section of the forum so that people can post about modelling as well as their daily life.

Jamir

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 45156 said:

Morning All

The waiting game has now started, as I have placed offers with the agents dealing with the two properties which I would like to buy.  One almost gave me a heart attack, as the first person I spoke to said "it went under offer at the weekend" - however, when I spoke to her colleague, it transpired that the offer was, in fact, mine.

Stewart

Hope this one goes well Stewart.

• Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Best of luck Stewart in your house purchase.

Going back to our missives regarding fuel i use confused.com to find the cheapest fuel around you can search by post code or location.

Sounds like autosergeiy :jester:

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
On 19/09/2021 at 19:18, TheSignalEngineer said:

Threads given a deep clean and properly coated. It's amazing how little grease the manufacturers use and the lack of care on assembly on expensive kit these days. I now end up giving it a full check over and often find things with zero lubrication or not assembled correctly.

Another putting right job today. Test riding a new MTB. Set-up was rubbish, most screws other than suspension not tightened correctly. Anne tried riding round the block, absolute bag of nails. Checked out and adjusted gears which were well out, and noticed while doing it that chain was fitted inside out. Fortunately it had a quick link so removed and correctly installed. That reduced the gear noise but made the front end more noticeable. 

Tried different pedals but not the problem. Checked crank, bolts not torqued up correctly. That reduced the problem a bit but not completely. Took out bottom bracket, Shimano ones are rubbish, put in better one from the spares box. Hey presto, all works fine. Proper test tomorrow to see if all of the ills cured, but it shouldn't have needed lots of work. Given some of the comments in other threads it's a good job these people only have problems in getting their blue or red box toys to work. Just lucky I had all the tools needed and Anne bought a good stock of spares pre-Brexit and Covid so no problems getting bits.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
Fat finger syndrome
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 6

12 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

Going back to our missives regarding fuel i use confused.com to find the cheapest fuel around you can search by post code or location.

Now why would you drive around to find the cheapest fuel to save money when you are using it up doing so?:scratchhead:

Brian

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Before I set off for my 10 o’clock appointment with the optician, I had 45 minutes spare, so I went to the cellar and gave some of the engine shed wall sections that Ava and I built on Saturday a coat of varnish. They all received a second coat of varnish later in the afternoon. 

This morning’s fog had lifted by 11 o’clock and the day turned out lovely. Once back from picking up my new glasses and the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, I returned home, put away the shopping and began making the stewed apples. By dinner time I’d finished and we had 1Kg sat on the side cooling down in 5 small containers. All but 1 are now in the freezer and will probably last us until well into spring. 

After dinner I decided that the weather was good enough to make a start on painting the fireplace, so I put several sheets down and set the fireplace against the kitchen wall and gave the back one very generous coat of primer, as well as the underneath of the mantle shelf and the back of the fire basket. If the weather is favourable tomorrow, I shall do more painting. Due to various appointments I have this week, tomorrow is the only full day I have this week to get anything done. Wednesday morning I have a appointment with the oncologist at ‘The Christie’ where I’ll get the results of last weeks blood test. Thursday afternoon Charlie will be round for his regular model making session. On Friday morning I will be at Wythenshaw Hospital for my kidney scan. I do live an exciting life don’t I? 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Now why would you drive around to find the cheapest fuel to save money when you are using it up doing so?:scratchhead:

Brian

You are probably better off half filling the tank. Diesel weighs about 850 grams per litre so in my car half a fill from the warning light coming on is 21 kilos less than filling right up. A lot less weight to carry around.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

1 hour ago, polybear said:

:laugh:

In other news :

Evostick "Sticks Like Sh1t" sealant has been around for years - but here's a new one on Bear:

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Evo-stik-Dogs-B-ll-cks-White-290ml/p/234790

:laugh:

And from Australia:

https://www.nulon.com.au/products/aerosols/start-ya-bastard-instant-engine-starter

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Perhaps you need a global "unmute" signal for your students.

Reminds me of a scene from "Being There" with Peter Sellers and his television remote control.

Or:

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

... teaching today - absolute silence when I asked a question, then more absolute silence, then it went quiet ...

Bueller?  Bueller?

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Evening everyone.    Very, very late on parade but at least I'm not AWOL today :D

Sorry to hear about Dave's SiL - Puppers' sends his condolences.

Not a huge amount to report today except one point that I'll come to in a moment but first;

1) Last two new fence panels Creocoted, just ten new trellis panels and ALL the old fence panels to go now.

2) Medication collected from surgery

3) Nice long chat with a very good friend who has a few problems just at the minute so pleased to help in any way I can

4) Lucky I don't have a need to travel down the A1M to Hatfield these days ;)

5) There was some discussion on wing warping / ailerons arising from Flavio's (where's he gone?) aeronautical quiz the other day.    I came across this video today.  I know the chap has been building this 65% scale machine for a while - how good does that look and sound in the air!   WIng warping and a very small "All-Flying" rudder, oh what fun.

And finally .......

Puppers is, as a relative new-comer to ER, now very confused about what is and what isn't "permitted" in ER. 

I'd kind of assumed that everything was permitted / appropriate as long as it wasn't related to scale models of things that run on parallel strips of metal ...... of which detailed posts concerning said topic are clearly better served in the main body of the forum and of course the standard Forum "catch-alls" of inappropriate  topics and behaviour common to all (well, most) internet forums (fora?).

I had also assumed that if a brief passing mention that someone had partaken in some  model railway related activity as part of their day that was also fine.   I for one was particularly pleased for example to hear of one ERs recent attempts to cultivate an interest in a young person in a creative hobby in the streets of ER.   Well done that man!    Were Pupper's recent revelations of his frustrations with trying to get a small, annoying WiFi module to work wrong simply because ultimately it may be used to control something that can't be mentioned.   If so, I'll have to offer my WiFi system to @polybear when its finished, he can then use it to control his fountain or watering system or whatever other gadgets he has secreted in his shed at the end of the garden.

Oh yes, I think I forgot to mention that the little Beeza seized again when I was out and about last Friday.    The big end which was on its way out has now left the building .....

Confused of Bedfordshire

Edited by PupCam
I would have been AWOL if I hadn't posted!
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I read somewhere that it is Jupiter's position in the solar system thar helped make life possible on earth as its massive gravitational pull mops up a lot of the astetoids and comets that would otherwise collide with us. 

I also understand that your chances of being killed in a train crash in Britain are considerably lower than you chances of being killed the  same  day by an asteroid that does for us what a previous one did for the non-avian dnosaurs.

G'night all.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

I think it was due to the amount of stuff being talked about on here that shouldn’t. Don’t want to say anymore other than the next paragraph.

IF one of us was to create a thread that allowed such ’talk’, I would be happy to post what I’d been up to and any photos of places I’d been that may be of interest. My modelling is sporadic and would not sit well anywhere else but such a site would keep each other aware what other ER friends have been up to. I know some of you have your own sites and perhaps H.H site may, with his permission, allow us post there. I think this suggestion has been made before (by Polly?).

Robert

Not sure if I did, Robert but I have commented on the issue. Yes, I have my own threads and have shared in Ray's (Tender) threads. Yes, they have their place but not everything we do or see or want to say deems its own thread.  And if you say that we come on here to share aspects of our lives, our points of view, drivel, or whatever, with 'ER friends', then maybe it is not surprising that one's interest in railways and modelling gets a mention from time to time. I have been on ERs nine years, maybe, and these topics have always been, shall we say, sneaked in, one way or another. I got the impression it came with the territory with a variety of cloak and dagger methods of inserting it.  An example, some go on holiday and come back posting images or speaking of the seaside, ocean going cruisers, city centres, impressive buildings, pubs and restaurants, heritage vehicle shows, motorsport rallies. So what about the staycation at a one-off steam/diesel gala - oh, but you can't post your holiday pictures of the vehicles on here - they're banned. It does sound a trifle harsh as rules and regs go.  All I am saying, is that I, for one, welcome those who want to share a word or two about the unmentionables - OK, be clever about it if you have to! For a lot of us, I suspect, the hobby is one of those things that help keep us going, sane even and has, for my time here, that has been reflected on ERs by 'ER friends.'  How often do we read/type on here, "Not a lot to say, today"? Will we read/type it more often if the Great Awl in the Sky imposes an enormous Big Ban? 

But before I get into trouble for getting into internal politics, I best be off.

So ' night all and nos da and take what I say with a pinch of salt if you wish. :jester:

I do mean well.

Polly

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2