The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening all, worn out, a large amount of the "G" word has taken place, big hedge height lowered by over a foot to enable easier access for trimming, it was getting out of hand, mostly privet, but still took some trimming with a rather heavy trimmer. Feet up with a dram watching the tele, Gardeners World is not what it used to be in Geoff Hamilton's day somehow.

I'll bid you a G'night just in case I fall asleep..................

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

bit of light hearted televisual trivia for those of a certain age (or persuasion!) - it's fifty years since the first episode of 'The Persuaders' was shown on regional TV.

The cars have fared better than the clothes:o

Brian.

• Like 2
  • Funny 14

Evening All,

I feel an argument may be brewing so a quick call in to say goodnight and then I’m  off.

Got my hair cut this morning and spent the afternoon in the garden. SWMBO’s blood pressure is still on the low side but I can tell she’s feeling a bit better. 
Robert 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Got the old vacuum cleaner out to clean up where the builder had drilled for the new handrail just after he left only to find the bag was full. After a bit of a search I at last found some replacement bags so I was able to clean up this afternoon. The old vacuum cleaner is truly old, about 37 years old but biggest surprise is I can still get bags for it. No one's come up with the right answer yet to my little quiz. I'll give you the answer in the morning unless of course someone does get the right answer. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

' evening all....

Down in the woods...

20mph wind today. I was fairly sheltered sitting below the farm track behind some boulders. I had to turn my sitting position away from the root stump so as to shield the paper from the wind, though. A case of moving the head round from paper to stump to paper.

It was just as well I am not doing further work on the Log Swing yet. It was being blown around all over the place! Constantly swinging half way round and back again.  No time to watch for long, too many pencil marks to make before the wind would make me feel cold.

Pleased, I think, with today's scribbles.  What I want and what I get are not always the same thing but time will tell. Another couple of sessions to finish the root stump and, hopefully, I will be able to start 'detailing'* the Log Swing.

* Can't you just tell I'm a 'modeller'?  :D

IMG_4390a.jpg.e6e28ef654c8602a78a723a7530a93e7.jpg

A couple of photos from yesterday with the sun streaming through the trees.

IMG_4375a.jpg.39d7dc6fa4da69acbed99c96df8469e5.jpg

IMG_4380a.jpg.72b0a14cf5cb1bf602018ef8389e33f8.jpg

Another day tomorrow but for now, ' night all and nos da.

Edited by southern42
Had a bit of bother downloading the images. Sorted.
  • Like 17

Cloudy but pleasant here. It is warmer than originally forecast a few days ago but not hot - around 24°C. The forecast rain got pushed back to late tonight and overnight. We shall see.

Was a very unwilling early riser this morning around 5:30am and couldn't get back to sleep. Now in the mid-afternoon I am dragging and sleepy. Hopefully I will sleep well tonight.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well after this morning’s 2 shopping trips, I decided to spend the rest of the day working on the engine shed. I completely built one of the double gable ends, it took me all afternoon to complete it, but as I was literally making it up as I went along, I don’t think it looks too bad. 

Tomorrow is looking like it will be a busy day, Ava is coming to spend the day with us and will no doubt want to do some more work on the engine shed, as she really enjoys working on it. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Long day tomorrow - provision shopping for Dad first thing then drive to Chesterfield to see No. 1 son and family to deliver birthday presents for the kids and see how son is getting on as he's off work with stress issues at present. There are several things we hope to be able to help with then drive back home. Best I get some kip right now.

G'night all.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, polybear said:

...snip... I'd better stop there, before I reduce iD to total, irrecoverable tears......

Go ahead, I double-dog dare you! :jester:

Edited by J. S. Bach
To correct a spelling error.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

...snip... No one's come up with the right answer yet to my little quiz. I'll give you the answer in the morning unless of course someone does get the right answer. 

Obviously I do not know exactly where you are/were, but you are very near Penn Station. Lots of trains! :biggrin_mini: Unfortunately mostly all underground though. :(

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

... you are very near Penn Station.

@PhilJ W of course will respond since he set his quiz, but I'd agree, very near.

2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Lots of trains!  Unfortunately mostly all underground though. 

Mostly?

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a rather wet Charente. The hens have bern letbout and the water from the shed roofvis flowing into the right place and not into the shed.   I had a very good day at the Model Railway group with an excellent meal at the Restaurant La Marmite.  No Marmite was on the menu though, no even Vegimite.  The afternoon was spent watching steamy hot things running on parallel strips of metal in Richatds garden. I even had an hour at the local station before setting off home.  

This morning the rain means no gardening, thank goodness but in half an hour it's time to talk to the girls.  Then we are taking q friend out to lunch in honour of her birthday.  Not a lot else to report.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Go ahead, I double-dog dare you! :jester:

And be on the receiving end of CC's revenge attack?  I have a wife & kids, sorry - cake store to think of.....

And as all sorry, none will tell you**, a CC revenge attack is most definitely not A Good Thing to be on the receiving end of....

(** Why none?  Cos' no-one has yet to survive one......)

In other news.....

Hmm, good question.  Quite possibly a bit of sorting and tidying, including finding a home for about 1.5 boxes of wall tiles that are spare - I'm hoping they'll slot underneath one of the kitchen base cabinets, behind the plinth;  I knew I'd over-ordered (deliberately) cos' (a) some wastage is necessary - usually 10%, and (b) the tiles are random "tints" so to be sure of getting a good spread of colours you need to order extra (they were mail order too, so returning any isn't really an option).     The chances of them ever being needed are about as high as Bear has of winning the big one on the Premium Bonds - but at least I'll have the option should I need it.  I also have more than a few cardboard boxes/bits of cardboard that I'd love to see the back of at long last - though I mustn't be too reckless cos' the next big job will be the refurb of the lounge - and there's "stuff" that will need emptying from a wall unit and storing - or going to charity - whilst the process is going on.

It also seems that one of Bear's ebay listings has achieved the "Congratulations - your item will sell" category (only one bidder so far, but with 3 watchers) - it finishes today, so I live in hope that it'll jump up a bit from the current fifteen quid; I always set a start price where I'm happy(ish) for it to sell - starting a Myford lathe at 99p and expecting the price to "fly" with loads of bidders - only for it to sell at 99p seems to be a gamble this Bear isn't gonna get into.  Anyway, I can pack that item in the expectation that the buyer will pay up.....

Apart from that it'll be a "make it up as I go along" day......

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

.....an excellent meal at the Restaurant La Marmite.  No Marmite was on the menu though, no even Vegimite. 

Strange name for a Restaurant  - maybe it's either you'll love the food or hate it? :laugh:

(Bear's research tells me that "marmite" is french for "cooking pot" - if Google Translate knows his/her stuff)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

12 minutes ago, polybear said:

; I always set a start price where I'm happy(ish) for it to sell - starting a Myford lathe at 99p and expecting the price to "fly" with loads of bidders - only for it to sell at 99p seems to be a gamble this Bear isn't gonna get into. 

SWMBO and I had a disagreement on the starting price of a bath we wanted to get rid off. She listed first with a starting price of £100 and got plenty of watches but no bids. I said put it on at £1 as we just need to get is shifted. We relisted at the revised starting price and it went for £120. Result. 

What ever we got was a bonus as for me except for the environment waste issue it could have gone to the dump it site. It was pleasing to know that someone made use of it. It is surprising what people will buy/sell on the bay, car boots, toy fairs etc.

We had a table at toy fair once and one of us had  ‘kit’ of part to make a traction engine. Don’t know the scale , but it was quite large and made of steel so it weighed a ton. Mate said can’t see it selling but I’ll weigh it in for scrap if it doesn’t sell.
Anyway a bloke come up, ‘wow, it a whatymacallit (he knew exactly what it was), how much for it?’

’Make me an offer’

‘£100?’

Mate thought about for a long time, probably a nanosecond and said,

’go on then.’

Time to get a move on, breakfast.

Robert

• Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Obviously I do not know exactly where you are/were, but you are very near Penn Station. Lots of trains! :biggrin_mini: Unfortunately mostly all underground though. :(

Not rail connected but just as iconic as Penn Central, its the Empire State Building. Hard to believe but its ninety years old this year.

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

Morning, dull day today with a chance of precipitation, we have visitors for a week, not staying with us, but we will be out and about as much as we feel comfortable with, just hope it stays dryish for the week as we are still avoiding crowds as covid numbers are still extremely high round here, I may be missing in action for most of the week. Enjoy your weekend and stay safe.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1