The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

strange yoghurt substitutions

We use Waitrose and for substitutes  you can enter text saying what else you would accept. We didn’t get any ketchup last week as Aditi had been very specific about which ones she would accept. Fortunately we have a bottle in stock. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

'Fraid not. Captain Cynical is against animal cruelty of any kind (cruelty to humans is something CC is very comfortable with) - so caltrops are out. However, taut razor-sharp wire at rider head-height is definitely IN!

Captain Cynical.

Bear too, naturally.  Though I've yet to see a horse park a Fiesta across someone's drive - and the days of milkie delivering by horse & cart are sadly long gone.

Razor wire?  Hmm, interesting alternative.....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

If you go down to the woods, today...

Some drawing accomplished although it took several attempts at getting the conical protrusion started with the first one rubbed out completely! It still needs working on but I will probably have to do the surrounding areas to give some sense of shape, form and structure! Oh, those famous words doth come to haunt me yet again! :mosking:

But, before my meagre attempts on today's coloured pencil drawing, a pic of the sun shining down through the water,  which was flowing a bit faster and noisier, today, giving the stony bed a golden glow.

IMG_4357a.jpeg.cf9939132b3122565f3fb05777144744.jpeg

It's a start!

IMG_4360a.jpg.cec9a0e6f9908e13471e0112e956cf83.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The chap came and fitted the handrail, now I've got something to grab hold of if I stumble on the stairs. In actual fact it turned out to be a couple of feet too long so he's coming back tomorrow to shorten it. He didn't have a hacksaw with him so I searched the toolbox for mine. I couldn't find it at first and I only did do so a couple of minutes after he left :banghead:

20 minutes ago, polybear said:

Can Puppers make room on his island for certain organisations such as that mentioned in the following article?  Perhaps the Sqn. Ldr. can provide transport, with Big H packing the chutes......)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-58556614

With a name like 'Lawyers for liberty' it sounds rather American to me. My friends lad is 13 years old so he will be included, I hope he does have the jab though he is reluctant but as he is special education needs there might be some special arrangements.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

I listened to the vaccine minuster being quizzed on Today this morning. The interviewer wasn't listening to his answers as apparently  this vaccination if the child wants it but the parentscdon't has been going on for years with appropriate  safeguards.  Nothing new in this judt using a well established protocol.

Jamie

• Like 14

QUIZ TEASER!

Something for the Bear!

I am currently compiling the questions for the multi course, “fine dining“ tasting menu quiz about food, drink and cuisine. To tempt @polybear in to giving it a go I can happily state that there are at least three questions that involve cake (of some kind) or buttercream or assorted citrus fruits!

A question or two about “fast food“ will also be placed upon the table.

Have a super evening!

iD

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

QUIZ TEASER!

Something for the Bear!

I am currently compiling the questions for the multi course, “fine dining“ tasting menu quiz about food, drink and cuisine. To tempt @polybear in to giving it a go I can happily state that there are at least three questions that involve cake (of some kind) or buttercream or assorted citrus fruits!

You have Bear's attention........

:biggrin_mini2:

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

46 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I listened to the vaccine minuster being quizzed on Today this morning. The interviewer wasn't listening to his answers as apparently  this vaccination if the child wants it but the parentscdon't has been going on for years with appropriate  safeguards.  Nothing new in this judt using a well established protocol.

Jamie

Ah our esteemed French correspondent had beaten me to when I was at high school 1988-1992 I was inoculated against Tb tetanus and kids polio all was done with a consent form which you had to show before getting the jab. I believe girls are now offered the hpv vaccine at the sort of age range in question.

I am afraid lawyers are becoming parasites upon society instead of a help which they should.be 

Edited by simontaylor484
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Ah our esteemed French correspondent had beaten me to when I was at high school 1988-1992 I was inoculated against Tb tetanus and kids polio all was done with a consent form which you had to show before getting the jab. I believe girls are now offered the hpv vaccine at the sort of age range in question.

I am afraid lawyers are becoming parasites upon society instead of a help which they should.be 

I found my vaccination record recently and both smallpox and polio are on it. Both now no longer necessary thanks to vaccination.

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Agree 10

48 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Hardly a new idea.

Henry VI, Part 2, Act IV, Scene 2

Jack Cade. I thank you, good people: there shall be no money;
all shall eat and drink on my score; and I will
apparel them all in one livery, that they may agree
like brothers and worship me their lord.

Dick the Butcher. The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Children who are considered to be “Gillick Competent” are allowed to make their own decisions about medical matters in England (and Wales I think). There was a  case where a mother tried to get the courts to allow her final approval for treatment rather than a doctor. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

QUIZ TEASER! ...snip..

Have a super evening!

iD

Would that really be something eaten while riding in the International Space Station? :clapping:

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Would that really be something eaten while riding in the International Space Station? :clapping:

I suspect that would be the only place you'd catch iD eating fast food.

After all, as the saying goes...

"In space no-one can hear you scream!"

• Like 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Surely not......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58538885

:banghead:

In other news (and a little removed from "normal" ER news) - a little something to make a Fraggle smile.....

"An independent US study took oil from recently run-in bikes from 12 different brands and tested for contaminants in a fancy lab.  The Chinese bike was horrific, the Italian and US brands passable, the Japanese as expected.  The Royal Enfield was easily best"

(Source: "Bike" Magazine, October 2021)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

Unfortunately the Government (party politics out to one side) cannot do right. Surely any claim should be dismissed as quarantine is seen as being in the interest of the many not the few. Now if the hotel.was substandard surely the claim should be against the hotel. Advice has had to be taken from non political scientific advisors on to which countries are on these lists which does change as the virus has flared up.

The law firm in question are a no win no fee class action outfit. They are part of a consortium of law firms claiming against Daimler Benz 're emissions of diesel engine "fibs"

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Unfortunately the Government (party politics out to one side) cannot do right. Surely any claim should be dismissed as quarantine is seen as being in the interest of the many not the few. Now if the hotel.was substandard surely the claim should be against the hotel. Advice has had to be taken from non political scientific advisors on to which countries are on these lists which does change as the virus has flared up.

The law firm in question are a no win no fee class action outfit. They are part of a consortium of law firms claiming against Daimler Benz 're emissions of diesel engine "fibs"

It would depend on who arranged the specific hotel and who you paid.  If the Gov are in the loop on that then you'd probably have a claim on them too.  As a similar example, many carpet shops arrange a fitter but you pay the fitter.  So if the fitter c*cks up your new carpet then you'd have to claim off them, not off the shop.  However, if you pay the shop and they sub the work out to a fitting firm then you'd claim off the shop.  It's a crafty stunt to protect the shop, though presumably it helps keep the fitting price down a bit.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Drawing in for another night.

Got up fairly early for the re-scheduled meeting, thinking I could lie in tomorrow... forgetting that the boiler man is coming at 8am, the car needs to go in the garage as soon as they've left and then I need to be hot footing it back to be in for the log delivery person.

At least I have nothing planned foe Thursday!

Need to start preparing the garden for winter I think.

Didn't think I'd be saying that so soon but where the heck has this year gone?!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Been looking at the new handrail, its tubular and 40mm in diameter and made of aluminium. When the chap comes round tomorrow to finish the job I'm going to grab the piece thats being cut off to make a load for a model truck. Depending on the length I might cut it into two pieces. The high cost of timber at the moment has made me reconsider what to do with an old bed. I was going to give it to the charity shop but as it is all wood I just might break it up. Its 6' 6" long and 3' wide and the base is 15mm plywood which I might put up for sale.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, polybear said:

Can Puppers make room on his island for certain organisations such as that mentioned in the following article?  Perhaps the Sqn. Ldr. can provide transport, with Big H packing the chutes......)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-58556614

Yes.  The specific island has not yet been identified and it is therefore merely a matter of scale.   This will of course affect the overall cost of providing the facility (but not its running costs - there won't be any :devil:)

1 hour ago, polybear said:

"An independent US study took oil from recently run-in bikes from 12 different brands and tested for contaminants in a fancy lab.  The Chinese bike was horrific, the Italian and US brands passable, the Japanese as expected.  The Royal Enfield was easily best"

That must mean the new Enfield is practically ordered then.   When does it arrive?    You'd best get that lean-to built.!

27 minutes ago, polybear said:

As a similar example, many carpet shops arrange a fitter but you pay the fitter.  So if the fitter c*cks up your new carpet then you'd have to claim off them, not off the shop.  However, if you pay the shop and they sub the work out to a fitting firm then you'd claim off the shop.  It's a crafty stunt to protect the shop, though presumably it helps keep the fitting price down a bit.

It might protect the shop - in the short term.     Wouldn't do much for its reputation.       As Puppers maybe "investing" in some "soft floor coverings" in the near future I must remember to ask if the company use their own fitters for the fitting.    I must also remember to pay by credit card ....

Alan

• Like 14