The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Another exciting morning at Hunt Towers sorting out the glory hole, AKA dump for everything, behind the garage and taking a car load of assorted stuff that may have come in use someday rubbish and waste to the tip ten miles away as all the recycling boxes and bins are already full and it's another week until they are collected. I'm not sure that all this non-stop excitement is good for me.

It's now time for a shower and stretching the back before going down to the shed for a spot of modelling. At least Some of the day may therefore be enjoyable.

Dave

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Afternoon all.

What a weird day so far...

Supposed to have a meeting with a manger from elsewhere in the business today but as Teams didn't send an invite, they missed it.
Left for work early to pop in to a cash and carry supermarket, ended up being 30 minutes early.  However, have some drinks to last me until the end of the year now. 

Only two days left to work this week, which is nice.  Already have plans for my days off - boiler being serviced, a half tipper truck load of logs being delivered so that's 3 hours of my life moving them around...  Would be great if they happened at the same time as I always feel awkward when talking to repair people...  I don't really know the protocol on whether I should offer a hot drink (I don't drink them and my thirst drive is relatively low, so I frequently forget to offer :(), a snack or what.  Log deliver is easy, they dump them on the drive, I pay, they drive off!

• Like 18

Afternoon all

Took youngest to the hell hole that is Pinderfields Hospital for an appointment. We set off at 10 for an 11am slot we got there around 20 past 10 no car parking spaces pah so we parked with a couple of other cars on grass.

Only one of us was allowed in to the appointment so I waited in the waiting area. As  I was watching the world go by I noticed several members of the medical staff wearing masks under their noses.

The appointment itself didnt last long but they wanted a blood test it was 1hr 30 mins wait pah

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

I read what @New Haven Neil wrote about the runaway on the IoM 

I was looking on the internet and found this 

https://news.sky.com/story/italy-investigates-alleged-abduction-of-six-year-old-boy-who-survived-cable-car-crash-12407025

In one report i read the emergency brake had been disconnected for allegedly 14years

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

26 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Afternoon all.

What a weird day so far...

Supposed to have a meeting with a manger from elsewhere in the business today but as Teams didn't send an invite, they missed it.
Left for work early to pop in to a cash and carry supermarket, ended up being 30 minutes early.  However, have some drinks to last me until the end of the year now. 

Only two days left to work this week, which is nice.  Already have plans for my days off - boiler being serviced, a half tipper truck load of logs being delivered so that's 3 hours of my life moving them around...  Would be great if they happened at the same time as I always feel awkward when talking to repair people...  I don't really know the protocol on whether I should offer a hot drink (I don't drink them and my thirst drive is relatively low, so I frequently forget to offer :(), a snack or what.  Log deliver is easy, they dump them on the drive, I pay, they drive off!

The various contractors that have visited me in recent times have with their notices stated that staff will if necessary bring their own refreshments

• Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Thanks for that. No it isn't St Jean, or The Danglies as we refer to it. It's on the right of the road between Varaize and Saintes, and east of the direct St Jean to Saintes road.  I'll have to look at my road atlas to get a better location. Thanks.

Jamie

Here you go .

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@45.8451322,-0.4785475,523m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Aft'noon folks.

Back from my wanderings oop norf and I see that there's 8 pages to catch up on. In the fullness of time I might manage to, but in the meantime I offer:

1. Generic greetings, welĺ wishes or commiserations as necessary 
  2. Apologies if I accidentally 'put mi foot in it' as a result of not reading posts since Friday bedtime 

Back later, laundry to sort and process. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Firstly, special Beary thoughts are with IA.....:friends:

In other - and obviously insignificant news considering the above:

Bear has just received a message to expect the Tiler tomorrow afternoon, at long last.  Bear happy.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Yes that's the one. Never seen a plane there but it's well kept.

Jamie

Well done Sidecar.

French aero clubs normally hangar their aircraft and they tend to fly on Sundays. When they're not there they can be very shut up but the smaller airfelds tend not be fenced off so the openness of the French countryside would make an aircraft left out in the open very vulnerable. I remember visiitng the small aero club at Albert some years ago and they found space for the Cessna 150 in their hangar (and found me a hotel they're very friendly to visiitng pilots- even Gs)  . This was different from larger airfields such as Abbeville and Alencon (and any such airfeld in Britain) where aircraft are parked on an apron but there's usually more security.   

The Club ULM des Ailes de la Voie Romaine (The Wings of the Roman Road Microlight Club) was set up in 1991 so some time after Pierre and Alain Mignet set up Avions Mignet in the 1980s. There's no obvious connection but one of the photos on the ULM club's facebook page is of the prototype HM1000 Balerit - which I've never seen before- and it does look somewhat different from the production version.

https://www.facebook.com/AVR17ULM/photos/pcb.994422401322662/994296934668542

I've emailed them to see if they have any connection with the Mignets. ISTR that the Balerit was a bit too heavy to be classed as a microlight in Britain but it was well within French ULM regs and farmers could even use them personally for crop dusting.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

There is a small airfield just off the A639 South of Pontefract called Walton Wood Airfield its basically a house a barn like hangar and a grass airstrip. It mainly deals with helicopters and maintenance. They used to do a lot of helicopter work for Yorkshire TV and appeared on Emmerdale a few times. They were called Heliscott.

There is a thriving Aeroclub at Sherburn in Elmet and a glider club at Burn near Selby

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

12 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

We had no white wine in stock so white Pineau was used by Beth. It tasted lovely.

White Pineau is a completely unfamiliar concoction to me. It sounds like it packs a punch. It's fascinating to see how localized traditional wine making can be.

Quite impossible to learn just how much variety there is in the world. As "small" as the world might feel, it's still far to big to experience the nuances of place without travelling there.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

White Pineau is a completely unfamiliar concoction to me. It sounds like it packs a punch. It's fascinating to see how localized traditional wine making can be.

Quite impossible to learn just how much variety there is in the world. As "small" as the world might feel, it's still far to big to experience the nuances of place without travelling there.

We get white red and in between from different suppliers. It's basically two waste products, grape juice that's not good enough to make into wine and distilled spirit ( eau de vie) that isn't good enough to lay down as cognac to age. Round here it's kept in the fridge and any time is pineau time.  Depending on where you buy it from the strength can be variable. It depends on how much eau de vie, which is 70% plus, is in the mix. Further south there is a similar product made by the armagnac producers called Floc de Gascon.

The Pineau gave the moules a slightly sweet taste and was lovely.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon/Evening all from Estuary-Land. Sorry to hear your news Ian, the death of one so young seems so much worse. Overdone the eyelid inspection again hence being late on parade. When I went to Tess Coes earlier I found the St. Dalfour marmalade and bought a jar to try out. Now for that muggatee, be back later.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

'evening all from red dragon land.

Making plans today around the weather forecast (cloudy but dry) was an impossibility - it kept raining!

So, instead of looking forward to a dry afternoon after lunch, not until 16.45 was I able to go for a walk to the Log Swing and no drawing! It was getting ready for tomorrow's bins collection day and I had to be back in time to de-bone the rest of the chicken so the carcass could be disposed of. Of course, it was not long after my return that it started raining again!  Now 20.45 and bins all up the drive ready for tomorrow.

As I did not have much time, I took one photo from my drawing position to enable me to locate the drops in the stream level behind the tree. It might save me some time if I map it in at home as I have already lost a few drawing days. Then I did a bit of exploring further up stream.  

In this view, the Log Swing is right down between the diamond shape between the forked branches on the island.

IMG_4354.JPG.b3cb03097feaaf49816f1398c7252c4b.JPG

Zoomed in with the Log Swing at the top of picture.

IMG_4354a.jpeg.2620e8584ed519555b4857389af93740.jpeg

And further upstream showing the divergent waters.

IMG_4353.JPG.5f2a06ba61ffbb0053ff12f667b8e038.JPG

The farm track lies along the grass bank at the top so I took grass route (left) and headed straight up to save the walk back down through the wood amongst the sheep's droppings! No blackberrying this time - a hazard I did not think of yesterday - rain water running down the arm inside the sleeves!

Time for Silent Witness on TV and mugadecaf.

Take care all and play safe/

Polly

Edited by southern42
Amendment of some of the clumsy wording!
  • Like 19