The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl, 

Rudder head assembled, it comprises...

The rudder shaft, a piece of scaffolding pole.

The clamp / tiller a clamp for holding lighting for a stage lighting rig.

Some "padding" made of some stainless spring coil strip from a microwave door. Used to spring up the door when the timer went.

Somewhat difficult to drill hole through clamp, steel strip and pole. It was done bolt inserted.. but can I find the right sized nuts... Nope..

A test waggle of the rudder,  from the seat using the controls but temporary string worked ok if a bit stiff. , The rudder shaft hasn't been greased.

The newly built hatch was heavily sanded,  then painted.

Then to the mobile home. 

More moving of furniture, the wardrobe was assembled, ,  various shelving units were secured in position.  Discussions on the chest of drawers promoted them from the alleyway to additional drawers in the kitchen.  But that's a job for another week.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Afternoon Awl, 

Rudder head assembled, it comprises...

The rudder shaft, a piece of scaffolding pole.

The clamp / tiller a clamp for holding lighting for a stage lighting rig.

Some "padding" some stainless spring coil strip from a microwave door. Used to spring up the door when the timer went.

Is there a budget cap like the F1 teams have?

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes, full blown marine bearings, rudder head, etc would have relieved me of many locos worth of tokens.

The boat has bits from an air-conditioner,  it did have parts from lifting tackle, is does have  a wooden deck chair. Lead from batteries roofing and work benches..

If I'd gone down the full marine parts route. Then the costs would have been 3 to 5 thousand. I've spent less than £1000.

Like a certain hobby in which I have strange things masquerading, like pill bottles for oil tanks etc.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I watched Last night of the proms last night and quite enjoyed it 

Of.The three presenters in the studio I recognised Gareth Malone and Katie Derham but there was a lovely black lady and I never caught her name 

I believe that may be Josie D'Arby

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Oh yes, full blown marine bearings, rudder head, etc would have relieved me of many locos worth of tokens.

The boat has bits from an air-conditioner,  it did have parts from lifting tackle, is does have  a wooden deck chair. Lead from batteries roofing and work benches..

If I'd gone down the full marine parts route. Then the costs would have been 3 to 5 thousand. I've spent less than £1000.

Like a certain hobby in which I have strange things masquerading, like pill bottles for oil tanks etc.

:clapping::clapping:

Bvgger - Bear just knew he should've used old pallets for the kitchen units....

image.png.ec9d2a08bea9a8f8d688c952cd4ca467.png

On second thoughts, maybe not......

In other news:

An afternoon of notalot - in a bit of a flaky groove until the kitchen is tiler arrives (Wed maybe?).  Must try much harder tomorrow....

And if Bear sees just one more six year old kid on the telly come out with words like "inspirational" whilst clutching a tennis racket I think I'm gonna vom.....:bad:

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Answers to my little aviation related quiz. I deliberately chose a few that didn't have simply right/wrong answers so you're at liberty to disagree.

1. In Britain,  light aircraft pilots typically use an altimeter setting known as QNH (height above sea level) when flying cross country but QFE (height above an aerodrome's elevation)  when landing.  What is it about flying in America that means that American pilots rarely if ever use QNH and calculate their circuit height  in terms of feet above sea level ?

Many aerodromes in N. America are at fairly high elevations, 5 000 ft  or more is not that unusual, so it would be impractical to wind off that much altitude from the Altimeter to set a QFE. Another, perhaps even more important reason, is that America has a lot of uncontrolled "airports" without radio operators and with those there wouild obviously not be anyone to give you a QFE (airfields in Britain generally have a couple of ordinary altimeters in the tower and set one to  zero feet and the other to aerodrome elevation to give QFE and QNH respectively)

2. British Airways was formed by the amalgamation of BOAC and BEA and BOAC was a successor to Imperial Airways, what is interesting about the choice of British Airways as the name for the new combined airline. 

BOAC was formed in 1939 by the merger of Imperial Airways and British Airways Ltd. In 1946, European services were hived off to BEA (With South American Services hived off to BSAA but that was later reabsorbed by BOAC)

3.  What do American pilots mean by a pattern.

The word pattern may appear in other contexts but it most commonly refers to what elsewhere would be termed the "circuit" or in full the "Aerodrome Traffic Cicuit". defined by the ICAO as -"The specified path to be flown by aircraft operating in the vicinity of an aerodrome." The FAA refers to it as the "Traffic Pattern" It's the normally oblong shaped circuit that an aircraft will join when landing at an aerodrome  with a cross-wind, downwind, and base leg as well as the final approach and take off path to and from the runway itself. 

4. English is the International Language of Aviation. If flying to France where (apart from the airport restaurant) would you be expected to to use French?

Civil Air Traffic Control Units are required to operate in English (often as well as the local language) so you can fly into controlled aerodromes (basically any airport) in France and talk to the controller in English. However,  Air to ground radio stations do not have that requirement so there you are expected to use French or operate non-radio. An adequate level of English is required for an internationally (ICAO) recognised pilot's  licence but France has long had a restricted national licence without that requirement only recognised in France and a few other French speaking  countries.  I've been quite surprised to fly with flying instructors in S.W. France who didn't speak a word of English.

5. What is odd about the word "airport" in the USA ?

The internationally recognised word for any place where aircraft land and take off is an "aerodrome" defined by the ICAO as “a defined area on land or water (including any buildings, installations, and equipment) intended to be used either wholly or in part for the arrival, departure, and surface movement of aircraft.” It is actually one of the many French words (along with hangar, fuselage, aileron, longeron etc.) that early on  found their way into aviation English.  Internationally, all airports are aerodromes but, to be an airport, an aerodrome has to meet certain defined standards. In US usage, "airport" means what aerodrome means everywhere else.   

6. When flying to a typical small aerodrome in Britain, what should pilots never ask for (but frequently do)

For clearances and instructions. Only an Air Traffic Control Unit can give instructions or clearances to aircraft in flight but most aerodromes only have an air to ground  (A/G) or possibly a flight information service (FIS)  and they cannot give clearances or instructions to an aircraft in flight. Unless under air traffic cotntrol a pilot is entirely responsible for mainitaining separation from othtr aircraft. A FISO can give instructions and clearances to an aircraft on the ground e.g to taxi or to line up on the runway but an A/G operator cannot even do that. (Note: some aerodromes do require prior permission to use them, often because they have specific noise abatement, approach or circuit procedures, and that may often be obtained from an A/G operator or FISO on the radio but this is not a traffic instruction.  

7. What is the difference between mode C and mode S?

Transponders send information back to the radar station that interrogates them (Secondary Surveillance Radar) Mode A just sends back a four digit octal code (i.e. 0-7), mode C also sends back altitude information from an internal altimeter based on the standard sea level pressure of 1013.6Hp.  Mode S in its basic form also sends back a digital signature that individually identifies the aircraft.   

8. Who "invented" the aeroplane and who was its first pilot

This is of course debatable but, though Leornardo de Vinci and others conceived of flying machines,  to invent something you have to actually make it and demonstrate that it works. Throughout history, plenty of people have made some kind of wings for themselves and attempted flight, usually by flapping and usually it seems by jumping from tall towers with often fatal results. It's likely that some of those ddi succeed in achieving a  degree of gliding flight but none of these led directly to any further development. There have probably also been man carrying kites which though without any ground speed do depend for flight on airspeed created by the wind.

However, there is a very strong argument that the first person to put the aeroplane-  a  heavier than air machine that uses the lift generated by a wing moving through the air to fly- onto any kind of sicentific basis was Sir, George Cayley whose experiments with whirling arm measuring devices led him to understand the basic forces of thrust, weight, lift and drag. He went on to build a glider that in 1853 is reliably reported to have carried a man, possibly his coachman, who had some degree of control. Reproductions of Cayley's  glider have made successful controlled flights so the invention did work. Cayley himself concluded that a practical flying machine would only become possible when a lightweight powerplant became avaialable, so for the next fifty or so years, powered flight was the preserve of lighter than air airships. 

9. What was the fundamental invention of the Wright Brothers used in almost all subsequent aeroplanes.

It isn't wing warping  (others had already thought of that as well as the aileron) but what the Wright Bros. invented - and patented- was three axis control where the co-ordination of pitch -with an elevator, yaw- with a vertical rudder, and roll- by differentially controlling the lift of the wings (by warping them or with ailerons) gives complete control of an aeroplane in all phases of flight.   They developed the control system for their glider before moving on to powered flight  and if you look at the drawings for their patent, granted in 1906, the flying machine illustrated does not incude an engine. They did in fact apply for the patent in 1903, the year of their first powered flights. 

For two or perhaps three bonus points, what aeroplanes still flying today, don't use it.

The two types of aeroplane that I'm aware of that don't use a version of the Wright Bros. control system are weight shift  used in hang gliders and some microlights  and the "Formule Mignet" that Henri Mignet developed for his 1933 HM14 "Pou de Ciel" (known in English as the Flying Flea)

Weight-shift was what Otto Lillienthal used for his thousand or so glding flights though he was killed in an uncontrolled dive before he could really perfect it and it was what Percy Pilcher was working on when he was killed in 1899 when his Hawk glifer broke up in mid air before he could demonstratew his powered flying machine.

The Mignet formula uses two staggered wings with the lift of the larger and higher fore wing controlled by rotating the whole wing up and down and direction controlled by a large rudder. Like the hang-glider it is a two axis control system. Though a Mignet fomula aircraft cannot fully stall the original HM14, which was popualrised for amateur builders,  had a fatal flaw that could put it into an uncontrollable dive. Once this was sorted the formula proved to be entirely practical and very easy to fly. It continues to be popular with French home builders and Henri's son Pierre went on to design two factory built ultralight aircraft based on it, the HM1000 Balerit - of which over a hundred were built- some bought by the French army- and the HM 11000 Cordouan.  Though I've never flown a weight-shift aircraft I have made several flights in the HM 1000 and HM 1100 and though easy to fly, especially the Balerit, they do feel very strange as the aircraft remains relatively horizontal as you climb and descend and there's nothing for your feet to do. While researching a projected documentary about the Flying Flea I met Pierre Mignet at the family farm near Saintes in SW France where  Henri's nephew grandson (Pierre's nephew)  Alain Mignet had set up Mignet Aviation's small aircraft works. I had a long and fasvinating conversation with Pierre about both his father's aircraft and his own. It was sometime later that I actually got to experience them for myself.

10. What were you taught about aeroplanes at school that isn't true?

That  a  wing generates lift because because the airflow moving over its upper curved surface has a longer distance to travel and needs to go faster to have the same transit time as the air travelling along the lower, flat surface. Usually given as a good example of Bernoulli's principle. This explanation, given by almost every physics teacher and most pilots to the frustration of aerodynamicists is not a simplification, it is wrong.  There are good explanations of what really creates lift on NASA's website and here 

ttps://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/how-wings-really-work

And a final bonus question. What is surprising about the international radio telephony distress call Mayday?

Edited by Pacific231G
correction to the relationship between the Mignets
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Something to do with that old colliery wagon by the A628 at Silkstone?

You’ve got it. 

Sydney is on Silkstone Wagonway which ran from near Hood Green, across Worsbough Bank to Silkstone Common then Silkstone and finally Cawthorne Basin. It remarkable how many of the stones are still in situ.

29BC7C41-1F20-4224-80E4-52D3D8F8475F.jpeg.8d26b1a37cb5a95e311bb4032e2a7e38.jpegI

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

tion. What is surprising about the international radio telephony distress call Mayday?

As far as I know it's an english corruption of m'aider which is French for help me.

Also BOAC, operated the Mosquitos that flew passengers and ball bearings from Sweden to the UK during the war.  IIRC Neils Bohr was brought out in the bomb bay of one. I believe that they flew low across occupied Denmark and were unarmed but farried BOAC markings.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Erichill16 said:

Sydney is on Silkstone Wagonway which ran from near Hood Green, across Worsbough Bank to Silkstone Common then Silkstone and finally Cawthorne Basin. It remarkable how many of the stones are still in situ.

Must look out for that one, I haven't done it yet. We were at Elsecar a couple of weeks ago and used the old incline up to Hoyland.

Regarding stone blocks, there are still a lot on the Peak Forest Tramway between Bugsworth Basin and Chinley. Interestingly that came into the ownership of the MS&L when it bought the canal and was not lifted until it was in the ownership of the LNER.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, southern42 said:

' afternoon all from red dragon land.

Rain forecast soon - Single and Double Blobs of the wet stuff.  I thought I would go to the Log Swing after the Double Blobs to see how high the stream waters might be. In the meantime, some more views from both sides of the farm track and stream taken yesterday.

Snip...

So much for the forecast!  Rain did not appear until I started on dinner. When I got to the Log Swing, the sun was casting shadows over the root stump I want to finish off, and across the whole area. Rats!  After a vain attempt at drawing as the shadows darkened, I put the pencils back in the box and went off and collected more blackberries instead!

Orange sky on the horizon and oven pinging...

Edited by southern42
delete repeated phrase
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Just out of interest are you using an iPad? My current experience using RMWeb on such a device is “frustrating “. Seems ok on my PC so suspect in my case it is an Apple issue. Some websites like Hornby’s also keep requiring me to make security choice statements too. 

Yes Tony, I was using an iPad this morning. I do, however, sometimes use a laptop or a PC as well but haven't made note of which device I have been using when the cookie thing comes up. Following your post, though, I'll make a point of recording which one I'm using when it happens to see whether it's an Apple problem.

Dave 

• Like 13