The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

She's won! Emma Raducanu has won the US open.

Bear got bored part-way thru' so switched to the news instead; I switched back later to watch the end and was taken by surprise when ER was announced as the winning.  Must be all this Points/Deuce/Advantage/Love/Set/Match/Game malarky - what's wrong with just having goals?

Still, a nice little earner for a couple of hour's work....

6 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

It's my favourite by product of the beer making industry  too - far better taste than Marmite- but it became quite hard to get in the UK a few years ago- (possibly after it was bought back by an Australian company after having been owned by Kraft) and I'm down to my last jar. I understand that the Australian way of life is entirely dependent on it though New Zealanders have NZ Marmite but I don't know if that's different from UK Marmite.

I notice that Vegemite now make a reduced salt version that came out top in (Austalian) taste tests even above the classic version. I do hope that appears here.

And so to bed! G'night all

Fear not - it seems Tesco and Asda both sell it, or Amazon - at a price.  Bear has never tried the stuff; if I were ever marooned on a desert island the one food I'd really, really want would be toast & marmite though  - and there you all were thinking it would be LDC......

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from the Charente.  It's getting lighter later. 

Yesterday went well.  Nurse Frederique came before 09.00 so I got to Surgères in good time and collected the shed kit. After lunch the chickens were mucked out.  I then went to sort out the pool at the house we look after and en route found our deputy mayor togther with her son and husband, unloading stears of firewood. We wanted some so after checking the price 4 werecordered and they were delivered later in the afternoon. We now have to make room in the woodshed to stack it. However we won't need to buy any for 2 years now.  

The hsrvesting season is nearly over. The combines all have the big teeth fitted, instead of a cutter bar and the maize is being cut.  Just the sunflowers to go.  They are looking rather bedraggled and black now.

Tea was eaten, a bit of shed time then some goggle box watching.  I saw the last half hour of the tennis. Well worth watching.  

Anyway we are due to speak to young Emily this morning, then off to the market. After that there will no doubt be some woodshed tidying.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

It’s SimonTaylor484 that told me Barnsley is the centre of the universe.

Wow! I didn’t know that (just like most people don’t know that Switzerland has a large maritime empire…..)

8 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

....I hope CCHQ (Captain Cynical HQ) has better security and has  no public footpaths running through it.

Captain Cynical can assure @Erichill16 the CCHQ is Not sign posted at all (and - like Area 51 - doesn’t appear on Google Earth). The CC Management Team is of two minds about keeping the public footpath open:  The backroom boys in Experimental Villainy want to keep it open in order to test out all the new antipersonnel devices and booby-traps they are developing, but on the other hand there is concern about collateral damage to wildlife and innocent dogs (all our booby-traps and antipersonnel devices are geared to only react to human DNA, but even so there is a risk to innocent animals…….)

All this talk about vegimite and marmite (I have an unopened jar of marmite upon which I am accepting bids) got me thinking about when I was a wee lad and I was being taught to swim at the local swimming baths. After each swimming session I would have buttered toast with Bovril – either as a hot drink or smeared on the toast itself. Do they still make Bovril? I wonder if I would enjoy it as much now as I did then….

Back later with an incredibly evil and difficult quiz. You have been warned.

iD

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

8 hours minus half a dozen wake up and turn overs, a very good nights sleep for me.

Slightly more back pain this morning, probably caused by the reaching and stretching with the loppers to cut back the hedges and chopped down tree. This was done very carefully as much of it was done from the roof of the muddling shed and the mobile home.

It seems Canada, Romania, and  China will be celebrating the ooh ahh shouting competition, something I successfully avoided. Ben might enjoy it, if they allowed him on the pitch, he likes balls..

Ben the i want to play Collie dragged me outside, not much cloud, not much dew, cool.

My niece, the one that tested positive for covid in Greece, returned home last yesterday, not heard any more which suggests she passed her return to the UK tests.

The great fried egg has poked its head over the sand dunes, this room suddenly illuminated a bright orange..

I see thousands of people will be running round in a half sized circle today, something I could never see the point of. Watching it has even less attraction. So I shall work on the boat.. 

Twenty two very over paid men are on some plastic now, time to go make some breakfast .

Time to..change channel..

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

After each swimming session I would have buttered toast with Bovril – either as a hot drink or smeared on the toast itself. Do they still make Bovril?

Bovvy?  Tesco certainly sell it...

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

I wonder if I would enjoy it as much now as I did then….

Another that Bear has never tried; no doubt it's another product that's been "sanitised" over the years to meet EU regs. and is a shadow of it's former self....

However, since Bear understands that taste changes over the years it's a kinda difficult thing to assess.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm getting ever so slightly p!ssed off with repeatedly being confronted on RMW by having to select whether or not I will accept cookies. This morning it was worse than usual as even after making the necessary selections I couldn't get rid of the damned thing and ended up having to exit RMW completely and start again. If the site owners value my privacy so much, why can't they accept my selections once and then leave me alone?

Rant over. Have a nice day everyone.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A quick hello as shortly off out to spend some more tokens, depending upon what is on offer of course.

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Fear not - it seems Tesco and Asda both sell it, or Amazon - at a price.  Bear has never tried the stuff; if I were ever marooned on a desert island the one food I'd really, really want would be toast & marmite though  - and there you all were thinking it would be LDC......

A bear can't live by LDC alone (but he can have a darn good try).

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Hey, Polybear, deeply ingrattyfellated to you for your tip that the tennis was on channel 4. So I dragged the missus out of bed where she listening to crap radio 5 commentary and plonked her down in front of the telly, and good time was had by all. Sweetness and light prevails this morning, and I’m off up the loft, whoopee!

Forget about lemon drizzle cake, when you’re in Bassett you can have a proper Lardy cake, sticks to yer ribs.

C224819D-1413-43E3-93D7-46FB5BE88104.jpeg.c1c66b79a8c24bb59d2f93efe6628fd5.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

At least last night's tennis made up a little for the lack of the cancelled Test Match visit.

That ECB chief must think we came in with the fairies, telling us that the cancellation has nothing to do with the IPL.

If so why are IPL teams chartering planes to fly players in as quickly as possible?

The quarantine rules are a bit of a jungle depending on the state involves but the toughest in the UAE appear to require a negative PCR test within 48 hours of departure and further negative tests on arrival and day 9 of 10 days quarantine.

Had the Test Match gone to five days the worst case scenario would be players missing the first two rounds of games.

Nothing to do with the IPL? Jim Royle had a phrase that fits perfectly.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Morning, late on parade, tennis sort of watched(I'm designing a new layout and was mostly doing a track plan for that), so after an early start yesterday followed by a later than usual night with a slightly larger than normal malt whisky, my head got stuck to the pillow. Dull day today, but if it stays dry the grass just might get cut, though as I am out all day salmon fishing tomorrow, SWMBO might just have other plans for me, take care, feet up and enjoy Sunday.(It is Sunday isn't it?)

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Bear's fun morning has so far involved putting the dry washing away, ironing and scanning some Which? magazine articles before giving the mags to a friend; the most significant task has been employing Mickey the Miele to hoover the 3 bedrooms (the largest of which is actually the Bear Cave - and used for all sorts of unmentionable activities).  I forget when the upstairs was last hoovered, but ISTR that Noah was on the hunt for more nails....

Bear's highlight so far has been the arrival of a visitor to collect an item sold via the 'bay - only a fiver, but since I also had it listed for now't on Freecycle I consider it a success.....

Now the fun job of hoovering (Mieleing?) the stairs.  Turdycurses.

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Sorry, slip of the finger, now amended.

Freudian slip?  Who's Emma? :jester:

Good morning all and welcome to Sunnyday.  The Hill of Strawberries is reasonably quiet so far and Dr. SWMBO has already set off for the G****n C****e in search of some green growy-type things.  My assigned task is to remove dirt and dust from within our four walls.  We are at afternoon tea with a work-friend of hers later for which I am told she intends to bake scones.  I suspect that will involve me in an excursion to source cream and jam ......  

BiL (English) was in the area yesterday for kick-balling purposes but of course would not consider even telling us let alone dropping round.  At least his team won allowing him bragging rights.  Someone quite young and clever also won a hit-balling contest meaning the news is filled with this rather than the more common gloom-and-doom stories we have become accustomed to.  

Hey ho.  Onwards with the day.  

• Like 16

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Wow! I didn’t know that (just like most people don’t know that Switzerland has a large maritime empire…..)

Captain Cynical can assure @Erichill16 the CCHQ is Not sign posted at all (and - like Area 51 - doesn’t appear on Google Earth). The CC Management Team is of two minds about keeping the public footpath open:  The backroom boys in Experimental Villainy want to keep it open in order to test out all the new antipersonnel devices and booby-traps they are developing, but on the other hand there is concern about collateral damage to wildlife and innocent dogs (all our booby-traps and antipersonnel devices are geared to only react to human DNA, but even so there is a risk to innocent animals…….)

All this talk about vegimite and marmite (I have an unopened jar of marmite upon which I am accepting bids) got me thinking about when I was a wee lad and I was being taught to swim at the local swimming baths. After each swimming session I would have buttered toast with Bovril – either as a hot drink or smeared on the toast itself. Do they still make Bovril? I wonder if I would enjoy it as much now as I did then….

Back later with an incredibly evil and difficult quiz. You have been warned.

iD

Bovril (ugg!) is made in the same factory as Marmite in Burton upon Trent

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 12

38 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

Bovril (ugg!) is made in the same factory as Marmite in Burton upon Trent

Another Unilever delectation now then!

Both Marmite and Bovril make good hot drinks!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 5
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I'm getting ever so slightly p!ssed off with repeatedly being confronted on RMW by having to select whether or not I will accept cookies

Just out of interest are you using an iPad? My current experience using RMWeb on such a device is “frustrating “. Seems ok on my PC so suspect in my case it is an Apple issue. Some websites like Hornby’s also keep requiring me to make security choice statements too. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, polybear said:

Another that Bear has never tried; no doubt it's another product that's been "sanitised" over the years to meet EU regs. and is a shadow of it's former self....

Allegedly (source Wikipedia) it did have beef products removed for a while during the BSE years. Then returned to original recipe after a couple of years. Suspect export anywhere rather then just the EU was the issue. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

' afternoon all from red dragon land.

Rain forecast soon - Single and Double Blobs of the wet stuff.  I thought I would go to the Log Swing after the Double Blobs to see how high the stream waters might be. In the meantime, some more views from both sides of the farm track and stream taken yesterday.

Facing upstream.

IMG_4319a.jpeg.0e4b4f7a69e3e7bb4556b00be7207f6a.jpeg

Facing downstream.

IMG_4320a.jpg.35a2a96aa5f9ae1c59e6fb3c621142c9.jpg

Across the stream looking towards the Log Swing.

IMG_4322a.jpeg.258fed92a17ca0742f56752b89081b56.jpeg

View over to the Log Swing from the other side of bridge.

IMG_4330a.jpeg.991dbe9e2c02311642c829c803e4534a.jpeg

And back on the other side of the stream and the high water mark from the previous downpour is visible. Also the texture and colours of the Log Swing.

IMG_4333a.jpeg.45e8ef3e28d6365e7d79c0015ef0c5e4.jpeg

Amazing the difference a few blobs of rain has had on the blackberries, too.  The ripe ones far outweighed that seen (and collected) in the past few hot sunny days. More larger ones, as well. Those collected were for the freezer, but as they were so plentiful, I used some in another blackberry and apple crumble when I got back home.  Note to self: I must watch my weight. :jester: :no:

IMG_4335a.jpeg.f579419c0a48eea3e92477371c14b1a5.jpeg

I also got some M word done and carpeted the interior seat piece of the VW bus. Just a few little jobs to do now - Vote No.6 placards, sunglasses for one of the passengers (Still not sure how to this!), and (with al little help from the techno man) add an interior light.

The day finished with a brilliant result in the ladies tennis. How I remember the Billie-Jean and Virginia days.  My first tennis racket was a stained wooden one belonging to my Gran!  I had to wait until I was in my teens before getting a more modern Dunlop one. Within a few years, I was delighting in my Wilson metal racket soon after its release to the general public. I saw it in a shop window and that was that!  Looking at the game now is a whole new experience...gone are my days of dreaming and wishful thinking...replaced by not only appreciating the player's talents and opportunities but cherishing my own.

Time for lunch methinks - it's getting late and still no sign of any Blobs.

Take care all and play safe - tennis or otherwise!

Fitt :training: and :danced: Elfie jogging along.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

Edited by southern42
typo
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear got bored part-way thru' so switched to the news instead; I switched back later to watch the end and was taken by surprise when ER was announced as the winning.  Must be all this Points/Deuce/Advantage/Love/Set/Match/Game malarky - what's wrong with just having goals?

Still, a nice little earner for a couple of hour's work....

Or the reward for a young lifetime of dedicated and focussed effort. I'm sure she does have goals- she surely wouldn't have got this far without them.:D

As to Vegemite, I don't know about Asda but, though it's  listed on the Tesco website, my local (large) Tesco stores  stopped selling it as did even Waitrose. Also on the Tesco website but not stocked in W. London is my favourite St. Dalfour orange spread. This is a superior version of marmalade sweetened with grape juice not sugar and free of preservatives and additivies invented during WW1 when most of France's sugar beet farms were on the Western front) Fortunately for me, the local Waitrose does usually have that.

Good noontime all.

It was half sunny this morning so added an extra mile to my usual walk and found more remains, in the form of a wide set of steps leading nowhere,   of the old hamlet of Brabsden Green on the western side of Horsenden Hill .  It's amazing, in an area of London that's generally so built up, that an entire hamlet could have disappeared with the last house demolished in the early 1970s and I don't know whether that was because of greenbelt policy or because the hillside was unstable. Brabsden Green used to have a small church, shop and a pub called The Ballot Box which got its name from being where bargees from the Grand Union Canal a few hundred yard used to vote. A modern pub of that name still exists but it's about half a mile further away from the GUC. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Many posts missed, as the laptop has been needed for many other purposes - mainly related to trying to get some viewings booked in case our offers (due to report tomorrow) are rejected - then trying to get all the numbers for the various options onto a spreadsheet, which given that my spreadsheet abilitities expired with Lotus 123, was very difficult indeed.  So as ever, all I can offer is generic greetings to the ailing and the suffering, and of course the celebrating.

Flu jab dive through was this morningat Lancaster Uni, though for a day or two, that was doubtful, as the supplies of vaccine were not delivered to the Lancaster GP practices on Tuesday as expected, but apparently arrived on Thursday - so the clinics happened - we were in the first wave today, from 8.30 to 10.  We got there at 8.20, drove straight in, were waved on by the marshalls at every turning, and drove straight to a table manned by a nurse, names and DOB taken, jabbed through the car window, and off again by 08.22.  Really well organised, and very professional.

And it's my lucky day as I've had two notifications of new videos from the brilliant Josh Turner, with his equally talented musical partner, Carson McKee

And a cover of a classic 10CC song by Foxes and Fossils

Now waiting for our cheap (£3 got us three dinners) stewing beef stew - started in the slow cooker at around 05.00 today - once the dumplings are done (5mins) we should be well fed.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A quite successful day at the swap meet. Prize 'win' was a Dinky model coach dating back to the late forties, as illustrated here.image.png.9dd5bead7928b079c86d7ddbd4b4faf2.png

My example is a bit battered but a bargain at £12. David, thanks for mentioning St. Dalfour orange spread, apparently Tess Coe's and Sainsbury's stock it and they do it with ginger and peach and apricot versions, I'll have to give it a try.

3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Freudian slip?  Who's Emma? :jester:

Take your pick, Emma Tal or Emma Royds.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

Both Marmite and Bovril make good hot drinks!

17 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Something i used to fancy at the football on a cold night.

Ah! Crewe Alex Reserves in the Northern Floodlit League against Northwich Victoria on a sleeting January night. There were slightly more spectators than participants. The goalkeeper was my lodging mate whose day job was with Vulcan Foundry getting the D400s into service and the St John's Ambulance crew were my drinking mates. 

• Like 14