The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

And finally:

For those interested it seems that a certain tennis match in NY is to be broadcast live on Ch4 at 9pm (the guff actually starts at 8pm).          

Update:

Duff gen from Bear - it seems that the b*llshit is to continue until 10pm :banghead:, after which a tennis match is rumoured to start.....

edit:  The duff gen was even duffer than originally thought :banghead::banghead:...as the game has just started.....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, polybear said:

it seems that the b*llshit is to continue until 10pm

Not sure what you mean. They are warming up and will start in less than five minutes, which if I'm not mistaken is 9:20pm BST. (Actually the umpire just announced "one minute".)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Not sure what you mean. They are warming up and will start in less than five minutes, which if I'm not mistaken is 9:20pm BST. (Actually the umpire just announced "one minute".)

Thanks....duly amended....

• Like 6

On 9/11, my sister (from Toronto), my brother (from Cornwall) and myself (from Vancouver) were together in the Scottish town we grew up in, for only the second time in 28 years. We watched the whole thing in a cafe which had been a part of each of our teenage years.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

2 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Well one thing is for sure, it isn't Upside Down

No but the picture is. I can’t get it the right way round.

Anyway for those that can’t read upside down the answer to the quiz is……… drum roll please……..

GCHQ Scarborough.

I hope CCHQ (Captain Cynical HQ) has better security and has  no public footpaths running through it.6055C1F5-3C2F-4F9B-83CE-47A1B5A178C8.jpeg.1e08c7e7b458507287aa7c8713ab31fb.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

On 9/11 I was in Tokyo on vacation having dinner with friends at a local restaurant when the first tower was hit.

A few days later I was booked on a North West flight to San Francisco and on to Albuquerque, New Mexico and then on to Antonito, Colorado via plane and rental car (with Canadian number plates!) to do a two-day charter on the Cumbres & Toltec Railroad.

At first I thought that was goodbye to the Cumbres & Toltec but luckily planes started flying again on the day that my flight was booked. There were not many passengers on board, many of the seats were taken by North West cabin crew who were returning to the US.

My other memory of that trip was that at that time I was into collecting Harley Davidson dealer t-shirts and had planned my route from Albuquerque to Antonito and onto Denver via all the H-D dealerships. We do weird things at times.......

Keith 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

9/11 saw us well into the late Australian evening and ready for bed when someone - I can't remember who now - called SWMBO and told her to turn the news on.  Thinking something serious must be afoot for that call to have been made we did so in time to see the first tower well and truly struck.  As we thought aloud to each other "How do you put out a fire like that" and "You don't - you can't" we watched as the second tower was hit live on TV.  There were no words .......  The rock we live upon had instantly become a much more dangerous place.  

It was a few days later that we learned of one Rick Rescorla, one of Hayle's own though long-serving in the NY fire service by that time, was among those missing.  We knew his friends back home though had never met the man.  His act of extreme heroism, costing him his life whilst saving many others, is commemorated in his home town at which spot a small memorial service took place today.  He also has a GWR Hitachi train bearing his name.  

Today has been a case of Upsan Downs.  I am booked with the GP on Wednesday for a face-to-face consultation meanwhile the symptoms, which may be a step-change in the degree of asthma I enjoy, have steadied but remain.  Short of breath at times, peak flow somewhat below any sort of ideal level, responding to the steroidal inhaler though the blue reliever (Ventolin, we used to call it) also helps.  We'll see what happens.  The tooth-wrangler reminded me today that I am also due to see her on Tuesday however I cancelled that as I neither wish to chance anything (including a dental inspection) which might affect breathing nor do I wish to part with the number of modelling vouchers she usually requires this month.  I'll be back.  As a large actor with a distinctive accent famously once said.  

Friends randomly sent us a box of Cornish cheeses during the week.  Tonight we celebrated "Cheesemas" outside on the terrace in the still-warm but dark evening with suitable accompaniments which included white falling-down water and a measure or two of Talisker's "Game of Thrones" single malt.  

Neighbours (Upstairs) are moving out tomorrow and are having their departure party tonight.  It's not unduly noisy but there is bass-line music audible through the floor and the occasional squeal of girl-student voices.  This time next month (if not sooner) we should know who our new people are. 

Meantime it's goodnight from me --> :meeting: <-- And it's goodnight from him.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The chap is coming round on Monday to install the handrail, that means I will have to draw the cash first thing on Monday morning, though I might go to the cash machine tomorrow so that I have a bit extra for the swap meet. Now back to Farcebook.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Evening all.

9/11 saw us well into the late Australian evening and ready for bed when someone - I can't remember who now - called SWMBO and told her to turn the news on.  Thinking something serious must be afoot for that call to have been made we did so in time to see the first tower well and truly struck.  As we thought aloud to each other "How do you put out a fire like that" and "You don't - you can't" we watched as the second tower was hit live on TV.  There were no words .......  The rock we live upon had instantly become a much more dangerous place.  

It was a few days later that we learned of one Rick Rescorla, one of Hayle's own though long-serving in the NY fire service by that time, was among those missing.  We knew his friends back home though had never met the man.  His act of extreme heroism, costing him his life whilst saving many others, is commemorated in his home town at which spot a small memorial service took place today.  He also has a GWR Hitachi train bearing his name.  

That brings it all back. While most of us are running away from danger the emergency services are running towards that same danger. My sister lost a colleague in 9/11, someone she knew vey well and by a terrible coincidence one of my former colleagues was killed in 7/7. Not that I knew him very well as he was only working for us for a few months before he found another employer.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

There was a very good documentary about him some years ago (Jeez, it was 2005, on CH4) - ISTR the thought was he felt so guilty about surviving 'Nam when men under his command didn't, so he couldn't leave anyone working for Morgan Stanley inside the building on 9/11.  He evacuated most of MS's employees (actually 2687) before the tower collapsed; 13 employees died, including Rick

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rescorla#September_11,_2001

First Class.  :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

51 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

... Rick Rescorla, one of Hayle's own though long-serving in the NY fire service by that time, was among those missing.  We knew his friends back home though had never met the man.  His act of extreme heroism, costing him his life whilst saving many others, is commemorated in his home town at which spot a small memorial service took place today.  He also has a GWR Hitachi train bearing his name.  

29 minutes ago, polybear said:

There was a very good documentary about him some years ago ...

I expect his name was read this morning during a reading of the names in New York at the ground zero memorial. They were working through the "R"s when I turned on the television around noon EDT / nine PDT. (I had slept in.)

Based on that Wikipedia biography, he lived a very full life, including growing a beard, speaking Arabic and infiltrating NY area mosques to investigate the 1993 World Trade Center bombing.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

By the way, I'm a happy little Vegemite too.

It's my favourite by product of the beer making industry  too - far better taste than Marmite- but it became quite hard to get in the UK a few years ago- (possibly after it was bought back by an Australian company after having been owned by Kraft) and I'm down to my last jar. I understand that the Australian way of life is entirely dependent on it though New Zealanders have NZ Marmite but I don't know if that's different from UK Marmite.

I notice that Vegemite now make a reduced salt version that came out top in (Austalian) taste tests even above the classic version. I do hope that appears here.

And so to bed! G'night all

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/09/2021 at 12:23, PupCam said:

Fondle the Prop!  You might as well, as it's raining and no flying today.

Musical taste is a funny and individual ol' thing isn't it!       

I was never really that into Suzi Q, but Nena! Well, there's a thing .....     Jennifer Rush  PoL was good but played to death at the time and became rather tedious I thought.

Yes that's a shame, he's had hearing problems to contend with over the years too (not surprising really I suppose).

But going back to the previous point, the PC and Genesis CD's have taken and are still taking a pounding over the years :D

A Puppers' favourite ......

...snip

Alan

Whiter Shade always brings back memories of our Youth Club helping out a member's workplace. It was a big freshen-up job. We did the job and they gave a donation to the Club. While we were working, someone had a radio on. This is the only song I remember them playing - probably because it was already, as PupCam says, a favourite. At the time I was painting office door frames.  The other job I got landed with was cleaning the canteen ovens which made cleaning Mum's oven a doddle in comparison! This would have to be one of my Desert Island Discs though I can see the list getting longer and longer as the years go by!

Today's drivel news will have to wait until tomorrow - THE tennis match HAD to be watched. Well done, both players.

' night all and nos da.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

...snip... A few days later I was booked on a North West flight to San Francisco and on to Albuquerque, New Mexico and then on to Antonito, Colorado via plane and rental car (with Canadian number plates!) to do a two-day charter on the Cumbres & Toltec Railroad. ...snip...

Keith 

For those unfamiliar with the Cumbres & Toltec Railroad, a sample:1935218657_0164100_9022posted28jan18.JPG.ebf1210003d35fd2da9884244e3d3da8.JPG

My favorite:

100_8991.JPG.9052ef949d85adb3a5c2917c628cb1eb.JPG

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 18