The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Erm.Yorkshire are battering the Indian team at the moment.. grey and  overcast but very pleasant. 

Barmy Army have a better trumpeter than yesterday!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, chrisf said:

Let.s see what the brochure says.  Day 1: get there.  Day 2: train from Palma to Manacor and back, with time to explore.  Day 3: Palma to Soller by train, Soller to Soller Port by tram.  Day 4: Palma to Inca and Sa Pobla.  Day 5: coach tour.  Day 6: go home.  I know virtually nothing of the island and its trains but that could change!

Chris 

We were surprised quite how nice the island was; we had mainly thought of its Shagaluf reputation, whereas there many nice bits - and we didn't even get to the train bit; Younger Lurker was not in a good enough place to risk that although as it turns out he had a good time. I think that was the holiday where he had spag bol 7 times (2x in one day) and the other time was meatballs and spaghetti. But he did try some other food there - which was a big step for him (tapas, chorizo, octopus IIRC).

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Actually done something in the garden this afternoon. Only limited to uprooting a few weeds and depositing them in the green bin before Arthur Itis protested rather loudly. Tea has brewed so its be back later.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

VW bus figures touched up with fine brush & assorted paint & colours. Type of paint purely dependent on what colour I needed and what was at hand - ie, what was on the table!!!! Varnish tomorrow. 

click n collect sorted & no substitutes although the ordering system only allowed me one 6 pack of Granny Smiths (and no loose ones it seems). Luckily I have a couple left which will get me through the week.

Also managed to watch yesterday’s The Coroner on iplayer. Missed today’s episode so will have to catch up again...

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

14 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I really wonder what the purpose of such filters are. If they are to protect the sensibilities of young forum members, then whoever has decided to put this filter in place has not been around young people as of late.

They are a default part of all commercially available forum software. (I presume that the vocabulary can be maintained by the site owner, but there will be a default vocabulary.)

Obviously the intent is to maintain standards of decorum and professionalism in a 'hands-off', automated way but I suspect the primary purpose is to ensure that the site owner has the proper protections (limited immunity from liability) under US Title 47, Section 230 built into the software.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Evening Awl, for I anticipate it might become a tad frustrating.

Only one more POeTS day until 9 days leave and a Bank Holiday so hopefully won't be too bad!

Met with a couple of colleagues at the walk-through C19 PCR test centre this morning; hopefully will compare notes (either face2face or by text) tomorrow. Results expected early morning. (Lateral Flow tests have shewn negative thusfar!)

Elsewhere:

21 hours ago, chrisf said:

Let.s see what the brochure says.  Day 1: get there.  Day 2: train from Palma to Manacor and back, with time to explore.  Day 3: Palma to Soller by train, Soller to Soller Port by tram.  Day 4: Palma to Inca and Sa Pobla.  Day 5: coach tour.  Day 6: go home.  I know virtually nothing of the island and its trains but that could change!

Chris 

Aaah, sounds like a gravy boat holiday! Hope you get to use as much track as possible and have a relaxed 4 days!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

... and ...

... got spammed today by a witchcraft site.

John, posting photographs of all those Neolithic sites in darkest Kernow, art thou much surpriséd?

Perhaps they think you might be trapped in the broom closet*? ;)

* An expression I saw from an online posting by a self-professed Wiccan along the lines of "Halloween is a good time to come out of the broom closet". I thought it clever.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Funny 3

Evenin' all, pleasant sunny day up here, grass was cut flowers dead headed after first checking for bees.......................went for a wander with my camera in the forest, but not much about. Take care out there it's getting to be a mad house again round here.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

It's one thing I wish I could do is tinker with engines and cars i have done little bits like.replacing power wing mirrors on a vectra  I had but that was a fairly straightforward unscrew and unplug them the reverse of the operation. I really wish I would have had more confidence in my maths ability and done my degree in Mining and Plant engineering instead of Mineral Surveying. My one main regret in life i console my self in the fact I wouldn't have met the Mrs 

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

Well a busy day here at Pupper's Towers.   

As  predicted, the invasion by the latest in Cake Seeking Bear technology occurred precisely at the time indicated by the early warning system.      I was bombarded with useful "stuff" and the missing link to transfer old visual memories from the obsolete technology on which they live to a modern digital media.    Another job to do then!   When i extracted the old tapes from their resting place I noticed a couple of them were labelled "St Albans 1994 & "St Albans 1996".   Hmm, I wonder what they could be of?

Just to put me off guard the CSB was operating in a different, and I suspect unusual,  mode as cake was dispensed rather than consumed on arrival.   As said "cake" was in fact one of Pupper's favourites; Bread Pud this was most welcome.   Any weight gain in the next few days will be put down to the Steroids I'm currently taking but of course we know the real reason :D

A demonstration of the progress to date on  Pupper's Patented Locomotive Control System was given and , I think, well received.    After a good deal of "Putting the World to Rights" and a couple of Bacon Sarnies (fantastic oak smoked bacon from a local farm shop) Bear was dispatched complete with an Arduino Development kit which I fancy might ultimately lead the way to a turnout control system to rival the recently disbanded Kings Cross Power Box.   I'll turn the Bear into a Softie if it's the last thing I do!

Anyway, all-in-all, a jolly fine day.

Alan

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

They are a default part of all commercially available forum software. (I presume that the vocabulary can be maintained by the site owner, but there will be a default vocabulary.)

Obviously the intent is to maintain standards of decorum and professionalism in a 'hands-off', automated way but I suspect the primary purpose is to ensure that the site owner has the proper protections (limited immunity from liability) under US Title 47, Section 230 built into the software.

A well run forum such as this shouldn't really need filtering;  its participants generally hold to the rules and it is free from the usual verbal fights and insults found on some others.  The mods display a certain tolerance which provide for the occasional saucy or forbidden content although they have been known to wield the black marker sometimes, so when you lose your post..................!

Brian.

• Like 15
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, polybear said:

practical homework assignment has been set, with the aim of diverting a wheeled object from one pair of parallel strips of metal to another via the assistance of little things called servos.

I have set myself a similar task. Not with Arduinos or scripts just using some well known control software. I think I have misunderstood some fundamental concept and have confused myself. I will transfer my thoughts from the garage to a small setup in the dining room after a family visit this weekend. I have simplified one chunk of the process by temporarily replacing the Mac I wanted to use with a similarly aged Windows PC. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1